Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

For many years an EI ancillary services Co, Cara Data Processing ( later 'Cara' ) was a major player in the Irish IT services industry. My recollection is of it being originally setup to try to find something for the mainframe to do at night ( punch card / batch processing was how things were done at the time ) I seem to recall Maurice Foley ( later of GPA ) had some involvement in this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BT Ireland's managed services division is what was Cara; albeit it had become Bull Cara by then

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/british-telecom-pays-15m-for-cara-technology-group-1.513826

EI ran hotels across the globe, a catering firm and even a pub in Dublin (in Tailors Hall) for few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Yup, IIRC at one stage Cara had fair international success with software for the hotel vertical market

This has gone so off topic its just stupid ( but they were great times :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

L1011 wrote: »
    BT Ireland's managed services division is what was Cara; albeit it had become Bull Cara by then

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/british-telecom-pays-15m-for-cara-technology-group-1.513826

EI ran hotels across the globe, a catering firm and even a pub in Dublin (in Tailors Hall) for few years.

They also owned a hospital in Iraq if memory serves

Edit: Parc (subsidiary of EI) ran a hospital in Iraq on behalf of Iraqi government

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Astral in the late 70's early 80's was one of the leaders in the PSS business and hosted numerous airlines.

To make things worse Astral is actually not a clean start it was a fork of IPARS (which is a fork of PARS). But it comes from a era when we could build complex and robust transaction processing systems. It was an IBM360 system, IBM current server platforms still support this.

Its old, its stable, it works. Yes its clunky but staff seem to be able to keep things rolling and thanks to some add ons and the datalex overlay it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

For many years an EI ancillary services Co, Cara Data Processing ( later 'Cara' ) was a major player in the Irish IT services industry. My recollection is of it being originally setup to try to find something for the mainframe to do at night ( punch card / batch processing was how things were done at the time ) I seem to recall Maurice Foley ( later of GPA ) had some involvement in this.

Whenever I tell people that we were doing cloud many years ago they scoff because no institutional memory of timesharing

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Any word on when MAN TAs will go on sale? I notice it's still not live in the app, would they not be getting tight on time now?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

imfml wrote: »
    Any word on when MAN TAs will go on sale? I notice it's still not love in the app, would they not be getting tight on time now?

Could it be that the app doesn’t cover the UK? (as outside the EU)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

imfml wrote: »
    Any word on when MAN TAs will go on sale? I notice it's still not love in the app, would they not be getting tight on time now?

They have not received approval from US Gov yet.

Normally its fine to put routes on sale without approval however not a good idea when your a new operator applying for routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I was asked in work since I worked in the airport (all 7 years ago) that if a family got a voucher as a refund do the same people booked on that particular flight have to fly when using the voucher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Afaik

1) with aer lingus - yes
    2) Ryanair - no - anybody can us it

I could stand corrected.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aer Lingus only requires the lead passenger, at least that's what they told me when asking about basically this situation

Vouchers are issued to the lead passenger, so any future booking with the voucher must be made by the lead passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Thanks guys will let the lad know latter on when he comes on shift.

Probably a long shot but does anyone know the current deposition of the A330 fleet?

EWR went to the desert.
    DAA/LAX were parked in Shannon, but I think I recall they ferried to Spain. (as did the A321ceo's)
    I think EIK ferried to Spain as well.
    Any idea where DUO is?

The 10 A332s seems be getting a flight every 10-14 days. Or did I miss some of those going to Spain too?

Tenger wrote: »
    Probably a long shot but does anyone know the current deposition of the A330 fleet?

EWR went to the desert.
    DAA/LAX were parked in Shannon, but I think I recall they ferried to Spain. (as did the A321ceo's)
    I think EIK ferried to Spain as well.
    Any idea where DUO is?

The 10 A332s seems be getting a flight every 10-14 days. Or did I miss some of those going to Spain too?

EWR is in Arizona? scrapped/parted ?? (EWR was always leaving the fleet in 2020 so not a COVID impact)
    DAA, EIK, CPH, CPG are in Spain
    CPE, DUO are at Nimes in France
    LAX is in Shannon

CPE/CPH/CPG were on the way out might have made it to 2022 but probably will never carry a passenger again.
    With the LR's arriving I cannot see the A330-200 staying around

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

GEY is also in Spain

CPE/CPH/CPG were on the way out might have made it to 2022 but probably will never carry a passenger again.
    With the LR's arriving I cannot see the A330-200 staying around

I would agree on both points.
    The A321LR/A333 mix is far more efficient that the A332/A333 mix.

I was crew when the A321s first arrived, lovely aircraft. Shame to see them go but at 22 years old, in storage during a massive downturn, with newer aircraft being delivered I see no future for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Tenger wrote: »
    I was crew when the A321s first arrived, lovely aircraft. Shame to see them go but at 22 years old, in storage during a massive downturn, with newer aircraft being delivered I see no future for them.

Were they used that much in recent times?

Since I started logging my flights (~2004) I have flown Aer Lingus 184 times. Just twelve of those were on the A321, and only one was in the last ten years.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Were they used that much in recent times?

Since I started logging my flights (~2004) I have flown Aer Lingus 184 times. Just twelve of those were on the A321, and only one was in the last ten years.

They are certainly used. But I think they operated holiday routes over the last 5-6 years. Back in the early 00s they covered DUB-LHR and were a great asset yo the airline.

Not sure when they reduced from 6 to 3 (2012ish?) but since then they were 10% of of the s/h fleet. So no wonder they are rare to see.

• Advertisement

312 flights with EI since 2010
    A321 flight cycles certainly reduced in recent years, the focus has moved to longer distance bucket and spade ops. Flight cycles are pretty high but flight hours not so it is balancing out.

I went through a phase of ending up on CPE over and over again. Mainly on the LHR services in the olden days. They were purchased specifically for that. I've flown to CDG/SXF/AMS/FCO/LHR on a A321.

Typically they lived on the bucket and spade jobs and charters (always a A321 on the North Pole flights) but the seat map online was setup to allow a A321 to slot in anywhere as the missing seats at the A321 emergency exits are not present on the A320 seat map.

When you look at the economics when the A321 was ordered it was by miles the cheapest seat mile out there on short/medium haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I've had a few back from Faro and Tenerife. Nice aircraft and much nicer than the 319 which was awful (Compared to easyJet anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

joeysoap wrote: »
    I've had a few back from Faro and Tenerife. Nice aircraft and much nicer than the 319 which was awful (Compared to easyJet anyway)

I’ve been told it depended where you sat in them, rows nearer the front had more legroom than those down the back, something to do with them having had business class seats when Iberia originally had them. Could be hogwash mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

HTCOne wrote: »
    I’ve been told it depended were you sat in them, rows nearer the front had more legroom than those down the back, something to do with them having had business class seats when Iberia originally had them. Could be hogwash mind.

Nope entirely correct, the knees became more angled upward as you proceeded down the cabin :D

Other Iberia spec aircraft in addition to the 319's are the 320's EDS/EDP.

Iberia never had them, EI picked up a cancelled or deferred order. The bathroom fittings are different as well

Leg room was certainly quite nice up front, not great down the back. I think EDP/EDS have been spaced out correctly now but still have the ricardo seats. The A319's are long gone. Used to be common sight in Belfast and also on the DUB-CPH flights back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I got into a Twitter argument with EI back in the day after a flight on one of those – as I recall I complained about the awful legroom, and they pointed me towards SeatGuru...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-FNJ is another one with a 'non-standard' cabin, if that's how it can be described.

It was with Vueling before joining Aer Lingus so has those Iberia/Vueling/Clickair slime line seats. I never had a problem with the legroom on board but do find the standard Aer Lingus seat much more comfortable, in fact the Aer Lingus short haul seat is probably one of the best in Europe with its adjustable headrest and generally thicker padding than most others.

No doubt they'll eventually be refitted with the IAG slim line standard but hopefully not for a few years yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Speaking of cabins I remember EI-EZV and EI-EZW, they had the virgin seating with in seat audio controls, I think they were rather comfy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Speaking of cabins I remember EI-EZV and EI-EZW, they had the virgin seating with in seat audio controls, I think they were rather comfy.

They were, I enjoyed my flights on those aircraft, the seats seemed huge, broad and chunky

• Advertisement

HTCOne wrote: »
    I’ve been told it depended where you sat in them, rows nearer the front had more legroom than those down the back, something to do with them having had business class seats when Iberia originally had them. Could be hogwash mind.

Nope. I saw a pic years ago. I think the change was fro row 6 to row 7. It was a
    discernible difference in the photo which was taken from the opposite aisle seat.

Advertisement