Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend your Windows Anti-Virus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

sorry if it has already been posted but what about Avira Anti Virus, i use it and its excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

dfaf wrote:
    Sophos would get my vote if it wasnt so expensive

so i use on AVG family PC simple to use, as to update problems i normally update it myself,
    but on my own machine i dont even have an antivi installed, havent got a virus/ cold nothing in 7 years:D :cool:
    You're playing with fire there, although that's astounding...do you use the internet at all?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dfaf wrote:
    Sophos would get my vote if it wasnt so expensive :
    check the license, it used to allow each employee use a copy on a PC a home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

dfaf wrote:
    Sophos would get my vote if it wasnt so expensive

so i use on AVG family PC simple to use, as to update problems i normally update it myself,
    but on my own machine i dont even have an antivi installed, havent got a virus/ cold nothing in 7 years:D :cool:

Eh, how do you know you haven't gotten a virus if you have no virus scanner? If you go on the web, then you will eventually come across a virus or two. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

AVG
    small, regular updates, few cpu cycles used, highly effecient

i totally agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

running windows live one care for the past few weeks,
    seems reasonable.

no virii anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Use McAfee, but then again it's free to me, and I know what upgrades to take.
    And if I get a probelm I have the phone number of the developer! very handy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Aidan78

Had McAfee on my laptop until very recently, but everytime I connected to the Internet, the damn thing froze my computer.

After some bothered, I managed to uninstall it and following some of the useful links available and advice from this forum, went with AVG. Working well so far, and the fact that it's free is a huge bonus :D

Aidan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I switched from Norton to AVG a few months ago and I'm very happy with it. Its quick and fast to update and I've had no trouble with it. I've noticed an increase in performance since I de-Nortoned my machine too! I also use the free online panda activescan as a backup scan too.

I tried a few different apps before deciding on AVG based on discussions other threads like this one and on useability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I clean viruses for a living (mainly) all the above is true norton/mcafee are the bain of my life panda is very good but unfortunaley they have taken the bloatware road like norton/mcafee(slowdown is brutal) but at least it does protect.Nod32 is very good as far as slow down goes though their sign up process has gone to the dogs lately.we used to sell bullguard which was very good for lo overheads and built in firewall.

general cleanup starts with (highjackers permitting)

avast fully updated then scheduled boot scan for starters.(then remove avast)

Then ewido fully updated.

Then adware

Then spybot

Trojan hunter 4

followed buy avg 7 which has teamed up with ewido.

And finaly a full reg copy of nod32 fully updated.

One word of advice there are serveral so called spyware removal programs out there that are in fact mallware.spysherif spyhawk ect ect and these fellas would reck your head so be carefull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

grisoft now have anti spyware. just as good as avg:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

wex96 wrote:
    grisoft now have anti spyware. just as good as avg:D
    AVG Free doesn't automatically update either then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭bugs90

Bit Defender and PC-cillan are both excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I used to use AVG but have been using Avast! (free version) for over a year now and loving it.

Stopped using Norton and McAffee years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

AVG Free FTW!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

SO is AVG no longer available for free?

I suppose Avast is the next best free scanner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yes, it is. They just stopped support for the older version, so you have to upgrade to the new version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It is still available :) Check their website!

However, according to this independent comparative test from AV comparatives - AntiVir beats the other main free AV programs: AVG and Avast.

I've been aware of these results for a while bit now and I finally switched from Avast (still a great free AV program) to AntiVir in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Stonemason wrote:
    general cleanup starts with (highjackers permitting)

avast fully updated then scheduled boot scan for starters.(then remove avast)

Then ewido fully updated.

Then adware

Then spybot

Trojan hunter 4

followed buy avg 7 which has teamed up with ewido.

And finaly a full reg copy of nod32 fully updated.

To me that's just overkill. Fair enough Adware, Spybot and I'm assuming ewido and Trojan hunter will only be started when needed but there should be no need for 4 Spyware programs.

Also there is generally no need for 2 anti virus programs on a system. As was already mentioned this can cause issues.

You also forgot to add a firewall:)

Oh, and I use AVG at home but have to use Norton in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

matrim wrote:
    To me that's just overkill. Fair enough Adware, Spybot and I'm assuming ewido and Trojan hunter will only be started when needed but there should be no need for 4 Spyware programs.

Also there is generally no need for 2 anti virus programs on a system. As was already mentioned this can cause issues.

You also forgot to add a firewall:)

Oh, and I use AVG at home but have to use Norton in work.

Agreed, doing yourself no favours or protecting your system any better with 2 anti virus programs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JanaJay

I use Kaspersky on my Dell Laptop-works fine for me :) On my XP computer I use the 6-month free version of Norton AV 2005 from Google. I'm going to delete it soon and try one of the AV I've seen here. I already tried Antivir and McAfee-don't like it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

I voted AVG but I'm talking about the free version(however I think the paid version would be even better!).
    I used to use a Symantic product(wasn't Norton) but it was old so I needed to get a newer one anyway and besides that their products are major resource hogs!:eek:

Even though it's a free version it's works rather well and updates daily. Of course it probably can't really compete with a paid AV but I feel it comes close. It's also light on resources and since I don't have a state of the art computer and like to multi task, that's an important thing for me!

So basically if you don't want to or can't afford to pay for an AV(like me) the free version of AVG is what I'd recommend otherwise the paid version of it.

Ruu wrote:
    Agreed, doing yourself no favours or protecting your system any better with 2 anti virus programs.

I find it works well to have 1 AV and periodically use an online scanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

LilKitty wrote:
    I find it works well to have 1 AV and periodically use an online scanner.
    Thats fine. Having 2 running on your machine is what can cause conflicts.

Blowfish wrote:
    Thats fine. Having 2 running on your machine is what can cause conflicts.

I realise that, I was just saying using a online scanner as well as an AV is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can't understand why so many people who manage to find their way to this thread use Norton. Its woeful.

Well I know I can't vote twice but I've started using Avast Professional and for people with more RAM than me(and that's most people since mine is only 256mb) it's a great program that covers heaps of stuff, it's got 5 monitors you can use but because of my low RAM I just use the two main ones. That doesn't mean it's a resource hog though, while there's only AVs out there that use less resources it all depends on how much and what kind of extra protection you want.

As for Norton, if you have a lot of RAM and a powerful CPU then the resource problems aren't really an issue, it's performance is generally up there with the other top contenders. I'm an avid reader of computer magazines(=geek:D ) and I read their review for Norton Internet Security 2007, while it's not the best of the lot, it has cut down on its resource hog issues and does fairly well in terms of its interface and protection. What I'm saying is it may still have problems but it's come a long way from what it was!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edition

been using it since I got my laptop at christmas, i never really cared with the family computer before i got my own... left it up to my da!

I havent noticed anything wrong with it along the lines of slowing down the computer and Im also using zone alarm firewall and ad-aware antivirus

I havent had any virus problems as of yet, but have found plenty of spyware and the likes...

But now... I feel like switching to the likes of anti-vir or avg, after reading through this thread...
    I only have symantec because i got it for free off my mate and I hav a gig ram and dual core amd processor so prob not too noticeable that it's a demanding program...

should i bother switching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I was using AVG until this morning , I found out that AVG is what was stopping Nero burning discs , would go to the 100% then make a coaster out of the disc.

This is a Vista ( or a combo of AVG and Nero under Vista ) issue , switched to Avast until the issue is fixed.
    I can burn discs now , yaay !

Also , good as AVG is , I dont like that the schedule is daily , no need for that , and you cant change it unless you pay , cannot justify paying for a home anti-virus program these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

M450 wrote:
    should i bother switching?

Well have you run the laptop without it? We use the Corporate Edition in work (I've switched to AVG there too and so have about a quarter of the office) and AVG is a lot quicker, and everyone is happy.

Advertisement