Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend your Windows Anti-Virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gunner0098

I've been using AVG free for years and never had any problems. I give it the
    thumbs up and my vote!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

I started using avast shortly after AVG went to v8.0. Had used AVG for years, but found this new version slower to scan and a resource hog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 conway

Hi everyone this message is going around I just thought I might tell you just in case it is true:

> > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.
    > > >
    > > > PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND
    > > > CONTACTS!
    > > > You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open
    > > > any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM
    > > > HALLMARK,'
    > > > Regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens
    > > > A POSTCARD IMAGE, which
    > > > 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.
    > > > This virus will be received
    > > > from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact
    > > > list. This is
    > > > The reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your
    > > > contacts It is
    > > > Better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the
    > > > virus and
    > > > open it. If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,'
    > > > even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut
    > > > down your computer immediately.
    > > > This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been
    > > > classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.
    > > > This virus was discovered by
    > > > McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind
    > > > of virus.
    > > > This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard
    > > > Disc, where the vital information is kept.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS.
    > > >

I cant find anything on CNN but this message is going around Bank Of Ireland so I recommend you forward the warning .

Heres a link for more information:
    http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/virtualcard.asp

P.S sorry for posting here but I didn't know where to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Has been going around for a while now, its not a virus, it's a hoax.
    Have you ever heard of snopes.com

A lot of these "Virus Alerts" in your inboxes are hoaxes and as such should not be forwarded. I would push for a ban on this sort of thing as it is a nuisance in email inboxes

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The.Q

I switched from McAfee VirusScan to AVG Free, because of recmooendations from friends. I find it great, and it's free!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jimmyjimster

I use K7computing antivirus software, i got reccomended it by a friend and i think its great, i have stopped using norton because i don't rate it anymore but K7 is a great alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 spudsy

I have used Norton and found it to be useless, I use Avira now and have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Still using AVG Free and still going strong!!:D Norton is defo CR*P!! I cant understand how they can still be giving it with a new laptop/pc:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

mumof2 wrote: »
    Still using AVG Free and still going strong!!:D Norton is defo CR*P!! I cant understand how they can still be giving it with a new laptop/pc:confused:
    i had avg free, decided to change to kasperky very slow pc changed back to avg free its the best i feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Just to update this, I've been running the latest version of AVG and it's killing my machine, from reading the user comments on the review in PC Mag turns out I'm not the only one to turn my back on it. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2291383,00.asp
    I'm going to switch over to Avast 4.8 home edition, by all accounts it's supposed to be very good http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2282704,00.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭gary nevillevil

AVG free for me,
    As this is the third different Anti-virus protector ive tried and im very happy with it.
    Had Norton 1st - jeez it was terrible slow down everything on the computer.
    Then had McAfee - it seemed to let a trojan in without detecting it :mad:.
    So i voted for AVG as i've had no problems with it so far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

With Microsoft set to unveil its new 100% free anti-virus for Windows (Morro) it makes you wonder how long McAfee and Symantec/Norton will last...

I will have to try morro to see if it is any better then the rest:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

it is

Maybe but I wont go back to it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Im using Comodo Internet Security with comodo av installed. The av is ok, does not have features that other av have such as self defense capacity. That said i love the firewall. Intrusive as it is, it does keep my computer relatively stealth. What do other people think of Comodo Firewall? also to people using Kaspersky 2010, is is good? I uses to have a older version and am thinking of moving back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    norton 2009 is the best"! it is
    picard-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

ive got a pretty basic acer aspire 7000 lap top when i was running av free it was terrible very slow , im using panda at the moment and its running very smoothly ,touch wood. anyone else using panda , what do you think ,id like to here from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 janchi

NOD32 Antivirus is the best option. We are having it installed on the company network and it's behaving perfectly. Remote management is very cool option. Simple push installation and reporting. And i have it also at home. Actually at home I got ESET Smart Security. Which has extra Spam Filter and Personal Firewall. No problems at all. And the latest version 4 has some cool extra features. www.eset.ie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Janchi is on the Money ESET is one of the best by far.. Sweet software, no bloatware, CPU light, advanced and basic modes, firewall version as well as basic and cheap as chips with options to buy multiple years.. Oh obviously it has a corporate server version too for really really good value compared to symantec..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

On Avira AntiVir for about 3 years now with no viral problems, but then again my usage of Windows these days is very rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 janchi

Check this tables for compare: http://eset.ie/products/compare_heuristic_detection.php
    I know that they are posted on ESET website, but obviously they have to be true if they are publicly released. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lisheo

You have a virus you need to remove: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Nothing compares to it, as long as you keep it updating.
    For protection, I advise AVG. It detects a fair few false positives, but hey, you'll be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I sware by Eset NOD32 Antivirus, it's the best anti-virus by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Smau5

Avast, officially the best free AV.
    Updates Virus Database numerous times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 red army256

I use AVG free version 9.0 with no issues

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've moved from AVG to avast. The newer, bloater versions of AVG just annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

AVG has been tiring me of late: the regular need to update the program, having people think the free version is no longer available as the "download" is in tiny text at the end of the page, the failed updates, etc.

Have uninstalled AVG from two PCs this weekend and throw on Microsoft's new Security Essentials. It got good reviews in relation to its detection rates, it doesn't annoy the user and there are regular updates. It reminds me of Windows Defender.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

Sophos!
    I've tried everything else the long and the short and the small This is the baby that works for me. I know that others wont agree but... its worth the money seems to sniff out at 100 paces anything iffy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I used to use AVG, before it got all bloated and slow. Now I use Comodo which has a firewall and antivirus in one. It used to be great, but recently it's been getting a bit glitchy. Still, it's the best free firewall out there, and it's a lot easier having the anti-virus with it.

Advertisement