Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend your Windows Anti-Virus

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

None.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rayhan

Vote to Kaspersky Internet Secuity.
    I do a full scan on my pc with avg which was updated, and the results did not find any results. Then try using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 is already updated, the results I found trojan named Kido. So I conclude KIS 2010 is the best. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

+1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Microsoft Security Essentials, simple and fast, I used to use Avira, found too many false possitives and pop up ad really annoyed me, Avast was ok, again found a few false possitives, Havnt used AVG in years, and its been getting more and more bloated each revision, The new Norton is supposidly much improved, but still not up there with a number of free ones and why pay for a anti virus anyways? For guides on which is "Best" check out AV Comparatives, the ones up top do seem to have a good few false possitives from expierience, so i settled for MSE,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

It really irratates me the way they sell so much of Norton 360 in Pc-World, it's probably one of the worst anti-virus solutions available.

I use ESET Smart Security, it's the way to go. I don't think I've recieved one false positive and the advanced heuristics are great.

DO NOT BUY NORTON OR MCAFEE IN PC-WORLD OR ANYWHERE, IT'S RUBBISH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm thinking of getting nod32 but just wondering if someone could explain the difference between spywear, anti-virus and firewall? Does the one thing (like nod32) include all these or do I have to get/download three different products?
    (sorry for being dense) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Posy wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting nod32 but just wondering if someone could explain the difference between spywear, anti-virus and firewall? Does the one thing (like nod32) include all these or do I have to get/download three different products?
    (sorry for being dense) :o

The Smart Security from ESET protects you from all of the above, it includes a firewall, and anti-virus/spyware defenses.

The ESET Antivirus only includes anti-virus/anti-spyware, and not a firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

currently using NORTON (from eircoN) atm & very happy:D

Also heres some :eek: up to date results !!
    http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2009/12/av-testorg_releases_real-world.php

MALWARE DETECTION RATES AND WARNING MESSAGES (FALSE ALARMS)

Tested Product Malware Detected False Alarms
    1 Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 98.0% almost none
    2 Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 97.5% few
    3 PC Tools Internet Security 2010 95.8% almost none
    4 AVG Internet Security 9.0 92.2% few
    5 G Data Internet Security 2010 90.0% many
    6 Panda Internet Security 2010 90.0% almost none
    7 Avira Premium Security Suite 9.0 87.7% many
    8 McAfee Internet Security 2010 87.2% few
    9 CA Internet Security 2010 86.7% few
    10 F-Secure Internet Security 2010 85.8% almost none
    11 BitDefender Internet Security 2010 84.3% few
    12 Trend Micro Internet Security 2010 83.3% few

MALWARE BLOCKING RATES AND BLOCKED GOOD PROGRAMS (FALSE ALARMS)

Tested Product Malware Blocked False Alarms
    1 PC Tools Internet Security 2010 94.8% none
    2 Symantec Norton security 2010 92.8% none
    3 Kaspersky 2010 89.8% few
    4 Panda Internet Security 2010 88.7% none
    5 Avira Premium Security Suite 9.0 87.2% none
    6 McAfee Internet Security 2010 86.7% none
    7 AVG Internet Security 9.0 84.2% few
    8 G Data Internet Security 2010 83.0% few
    9 Trend Micro 2010 81.3% few
    10 F-Secure 2010 80.2% none
    11 BitDefender 2010 77.8% none
    12 CA Internet Security 2010 73.5% none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

Best free ones: Avast, Avira AntiVir, Microsoft Security Essentials (all of these are as good or even better than a lot of "paid for" antivirus programs)

Paid for: Kaspersky, NOD32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Musikhola

I will not be persuasive and will not say to use any or other antivirus program but I think this is pretty good explained every feature of particular programs here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭swat1902

Morning,

I might be off the trend but hopefully someone can help, I installed win 7 recently and I'm running it with Microsoft Security Essentials.. which seems fine so far. I used to use adware / spy bot / avg etc.. All good programs. I use Firefox and a pop up keeps coming up (party poker one).
    I've tried all the obvious steps but it just won't go away! At this point, I'm thinking of just going back to avg and spy spot. Any suggestion anyone can give me would be great! - Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

You could always install the firefox Popup blocker Plus extension, It will only allow popups if you specifically say so, via a nice friendly bar at the top of the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭swat1902

Thanks, I will give it a go.

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Anyone know how to stop the following pop up - disguised as computer folder/virus scan.

trojanhorse.jpg

I get it about maybe once a month. It tries to download rogue antivirus software but I just cancel it. I have pop up blocker and real time protection from microsoft security essentials switched on. I've also tried running a scan before closing the page down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 janchi

Download and install malwarebytes that you can freely download at Malwarebytes.org in safe mode with networking. after the software update itself run complete scan and that should get rid of it for you.

Next time use some good antivirus product that can prevent your system of being infected like this. (try K7 Total security for example. It has good rootkit and adware prevention)

janchi wrote: »
    Download and install malwarebytes that you can freely download at Malwarebytes.org in safe mode with networking. after the software update itself run complete scan and that should get rid of it for you.

Next time use some good antivirus product that can prevent your system of being infected like this. (try K7 Total security for example. It has good rootkit and adware prevention)

Isn't Microsoft Antivirus good? I have Malwarebytes' anti-malware too and tried running a scan on it when the pop up was open. Neither detected it and both are upto date.

Don't think I'm infected, no need for safe mode...it's just a pop up that tries to hijack the pc, but then it disappears after you cancel it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

zippy84 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to stop the following pop up - disguised as computer folder/virus scan.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3342/trojanhorse.jpg

I get it about maybe once a month. It tries to download rogue antivirus software but I just cancel it. I have pop up blocker and real time protection from microsoft security essentials switched on. I've also tried running a scan before closing the page down.

Well for a start you should ditch Internet Explorer and download a real browser. :pac:
    Chrome is a good secure option.

Also run ccleaner to clean out all your old cookies. There could be something lurking on your system triggering it.

5uspect wrote: »
    Well for a start you should ditch Internet Explorer and download a real browser. :pac:
    Chrome is a good secure option.

Also run ccleaner to clean out all your old cookies. There could be something lurking on your system triggering it.

:rolleyes: Here we go.

Funny enough I use ccleaner too, run it every few weeks. Great job!! Wasn't big on chrome. Might go back to firefox. Is there much difference, like reeallly?

Evidence based browser bashing:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/10/safari-and-ie8-get-shamed-at-pwn2own-chrome-still-safe-for-n/

By all accounts IE9 isn't half bad

5uspect wrote: »
    Evidence based browser bashing

Chrome it is so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

Hey all, I'm currently still running Mcafee on my laptop: what I've read here though has got me wondering whether I'd be better off ditching it for a free alternative. I paid for it :mad: can it be that bad? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

alois wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm currently still running Mcafee on my laptop: what I've read here though has got me wondering whether I'd be better off ditching it for a free alternative. I paid for it :mad: can it be that bad? :(
    i use Microsoft security essentials , dont pay a penny and its brilliant.

alois wrote: »
    I paid for it :mad: can it be that bad? :(

Yes, yes it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shader01

for what it's worth I have used AVG in the past and wasn't happy with it, I am using Norton 360 now and find it very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

i agree , i dont understand why anyone would use anything else , its just fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Alien65

I think that you've never heard of a really good antivirus program.
    AVAST! antivirus software is the the best on the market now.
    You need nothing more just on program for your computer.
    For Server, Workstation, Laptop and Smartphones
    This software working like : antivirus, antimalware, antispayware,
    firewall, include sandbox, security zone for shopping an e-banking etc.
    Platform: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android
    Available free versions as well.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is K7 any good ? It's available for 9 euro for 3 years on groupon !!! I have always used AVG free but if I want to use wirleless network at work I have to install a paid antivirus program :(

Advertisement