Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Transit app is very good, and free for a few months thanks to Dublin Commuter Coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Shambles on the 13 today, Luas didn't run past Blackhorse due to engineering works which led to queues of 150+ people at the nearby 13 stop trying to get on! Good luck with that. There were supposedly additional rail replacement buses but no sign of them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Narrow footpaths there I think too.

The hourly service there and the 68 and 69 dumped onto the luas when BusConnected will be hugely entertaining/frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 69 will continue to operate as the 58 to & from the city centre.

It’s difficult to gauge what the impact will be of the 13 being replaced by the D3 south of the river.

People at the outer end going to/from the city will be fine, and you have to take them out of the equation when talking about full buses.

The relevant people are those boarding between Clondalkin and Bluebell and going to Inchicore or Kilmainham and it’s getting a handle on the numbers doing that journey that’s what is important here.

People across the city are going to have to make connections going forward to get somewhere that they currently have a direct route to due to the new Spines being rolled out, so that’s not something unique to 13 customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

I think what makes the 13 different is the sheer number of buses from Kylemore to Inchicore per day being lost.

It's a route with no ambition to provide bus priority, so I understand why there is no spine, but I would feel for the locals who are essentially being pushed towards a generally crowded (at peak) Luas.

Any local politician chasing votes should be all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭p_haugh

By no means a confirmation, but according to this post on reddit, it sounds like the southern orbitals might be starting next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

We're currently route training on the 74 and L25 in Donnybrook, looking at the last week in November for implementation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I ventured up that way on Saturday, and it was carnage. Beyond the horrible weather, there was a slow walking protest outbound on Tyrconnell Rd in relation to the removal of the 13 route. In addition the Luas buses were loading at stop 1986, and given the amount of people trying to board - it took ages which blocked all traffic inbound while the bus loaded. The 68 got stuck between Bluebell and Inchicore for I'd say a good 15 minutes.

TBH the whole Luas replacement bus thing needs to be seriously looked at, the last few times it's been very adhoc, and poorly routed. But that's a bit out of scope for this thread.

Yes, but what is relevant is how many people are actually using those stops and using the 13 to go from stops between Clondalkin and Bluebell to Inchicore and Kilmainham.

If the numbers doing those trips aren’t huge then you’re just adding capacity for the sake of it.

I am not saying that there shouldn’t be a bus, and I personally think that hourly is too infrequent, but I’d seriously doubt that with the D Spine in place the numbers along that particular section would warrant more than a bus every 30 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BusGuy

If Dublin Bus and GAI, won't sort out this anti-social behaviour thing, Bus Connects phases need to happen sooner then later.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DaBluBoi

That is, if they can get the drivers. Which, as of now, appears to be unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Saw a FB post about the W6 at Hazelhatch bridge. Works to be completed by summer 2024, the works are just essentially moving the traffic lights slightly further out and new road markings. No engineering works to the road or bridge.

A nice little of example of how slowly transport projects move in this country. Two full years since the NTA publicly stated they were looking at the issue of the W6 at Hazelhatch bridge we might have two traffic lights moved a few metres and some white paint.

And the route was selected 3 years prior to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

175 cancelation will hit West Tallaght enough, there’s a lot of people who actively avoid the 27 and the continuous route from Dundrum is really well liked. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭loco_scolo

Couldn't agree more. I always found this "issue" baffling. Another similarly baffling issue is the Phoenix Park gates which are too narrow. Christ, we can send spaceships in outer space, but this is beyond us 🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The Irish state just pays the ESA to put our flag on rockets that deliver important payloads like the James Webb telescope. Thankfully the Irish state does not take a managerial role in such tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

When is anyone in the NTA going to realise that the driver shortage is not a sign of some prevailing economic issue but actually a sign that there is an over reliance on the bus network and that Bus Connects is going to be still born? Driverless metro and Luas are the solution and actually they should just scrap BC at this stage, redirect the extra work force to night time running and start working on Luas/Dart/Metro alternatives

Any more Metro or LUAS lines are years away.

The bus service still needs to expand now.

The most important part of BusConnects, which is the bit that requires the most new drivers, are the orbitals, which is the next phase.

Are you seriously suggesting scrapping those?

Just pause and think about what you’re saying.

Being honest about it, the shortage of people applying to becoming bus drivers really wasn’t a thing pre-Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I could never understand why they don't finish one Luas project and immediately start a new on... the Stillorgan dual carriageway is crying out for a Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The new Route 99 between Parkgate Street and the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre is to start from Sunday 8th October:

https://www.dublinbus.ie/news/introduction-of-route-99

• Advertisement

There's still no compelling reason for not bringing in rapid build bus gates which would reduce the reliability issues over night.

Still no barrier to implementing camera enforcement, which we're due to get another report on by December. I'm sure commuters will be delighted with another report.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

It’s utterly daft and unclear.

Yet again the NTA can’t get the simple things right.

Show departure time from Parkgate St and show the departure time from the Phoenix Park Visitor Centre.

Instead we have a timetable for the round trip and you can’t tell what stop that the times quoted are from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It looks like buses will depart the Visitor Centre, turn at Parkgate Street, pick up and immediately head back. So the Visitor Centre is the one and only terminus and layover point.

No waiting around at Parkgate Street, clogging up the 46A turnaround or the 26/69 stop.

That’s what it is but it would be helpful to explain that simply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

How long must BC continue to fail before there's any official acknowledgement and recognition that it has failed? You can't solve the problem if no one's even willing to admit the problem. Are Dubliners just expected to continually exist in a state where they're served by overstretched bus network on the promise that one day it won't be overstretched anymore without any specific deadlines for when relief might come?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Are they going to start charging for it?

Does anyone get the Luas red line towards city in morning rush hour? It's so frustrating. It's impossible to get on due to the amount of people. Multiple trams arrive but everyone is packed in like sardines so need to wait for the next one.

We still need the improved bus network though. That has to happen, regardless of anything else.

It’s not one or the other.

I certainly would not agree that BusConnects has failed - the new orbital bus routes that have been rolled out aren’t failing, quite the opposite.

What is certainly the case is that it is happening far more slowly than we’d all like, but it looks as if the next phase, which is probably the largest in terms of service expansion of the lot, is destined to launch in November.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The free version allows for seeing the next few buses arriving at a stop, the paid version shows all of them, or something like that.

Having used the free version, it's still better than what's out there.

• Advertisement

I mean that's the definition of a crisis and I think it has been admitted that there is a staffing crisis. Covid was a crisis, nobody could tell you when it'd be over, wars are a crisis etc. I wouldn't say BC is a failure, because it has yet to be implemented, it remains a plan on paper.

Advertisement