Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Drivers or permanent rotas know their work ad infinitum, so that point is moot. All non-spare drivers work a set cycle of duties that is predefined – in most cases in Dublin Bus, this is in a predictable 5-week pattern, and in Go-Ahead the pattern is built around the number of duties in service, but again, all patterns are cyclical, so barring any schedule changes along the way, you can map your working day and indeed working hours pattern for the next year in advance no problem. (I'm aware of the irony of what I just said in relation to the 39/A rota which, last I checked, was a 55-week cycle.)

There isn't much need for big rest areas unless the terminus is a handover/break location (say, Liffey Valley and Blanch SCs); a well-equipped password-protected toilet like the one at the old Grange Castle terminus will suffice, as these termini should have short enough turnaround times to basically cancel out any reasonable delays. In my experience of scheduling for a few random projects, I consider 6' the minimum acceptable turnaround time and ideally should avoid more than 12-15' – or basically, no more than two buses at the terminus at the same time on the more frequent routes and one bus on anything less frequent than 15'. It's a matter of balancing the resources with a comfortable reality.

Citrus_8, you're still coming in with a lot of the Central/Eastern European practice mindsets which not only do I know inside out, I've tried to explain before a good few times how they're not the case here in Ireland. The problem isn't the work-life balance planning, it's the unsocial hours, the unsocial people, and the traffic, and then the pet peeves like canteens, restrooms, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Consonata

Sure, I guess my point is if we get rid of the need for one of the spines, then that would free up a ton of drivers for some of these peripheral routes. I know we have Luas to Finglas/Poolbeg/Bray on cards but if we were able to get rid of the need for buses on any of the main spines, it would free up a serious amount of drivers to provide a better service on the 2nd order/orbital routes.

Regardless it shouldn't take us 10 years to build a Luas as is the case with Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Thanks! However, I want to disagree and say that for cross city routes with a current infrastructure we need at least 20 min for terminus peak and less than 20 min off peak. How many hours drivers are working until their 'lunch' break? Is it a 30, 45, or 60 min break? How many of these breaks do they get within 10 hour shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Go-Ahead treat the national law as their base and their minimum unpaid break time is 45', but I've seen a case where the driver was off the bus for more than 45' but the walking time to the break room built into the duty reduced it below 45' and it was paid through. GA's unpaid breaks are a maximum of 90' and if a break is longer than that, it's only the last 90' that are unpaid, whereas in reality your break could be just as well two hours. GA practice two breaks if necessary on longer duties (usually those hitting 11-12 hours), but only the longer one will be marked as unpaid. GA practice appears to be that the driver will not be driving more than 4h30 scheduled without a break, but that does exclude turnaround times, so you could be on the bus for 5 hours (this loophole is necessary at times, for example on the 220+104).

Dublin Bus have an agreement that requires a bit more than the law does: breaks taken in the garage must be at least 60', those outside of garages at least 50', except Harristown have an overriding agreement to have all their breaks at least 60'. DB however practice a strict regiment of one break per duty, and the entire break is treated as "unpaid" (which mind you is rather irrelevant considering that DB pays per day rather than per hour as GA, all it matters for is some fancy maths that's required by the union agreements). If the duty requires the driver to move from, say, the en-route handover location to the garage or vice-versa to pick up the second bus, that's part of the working hours, not the break. DB's agreement is to have no more than 5h30 without breaking, but that's a side effect of their working timetables

Bus Eireann is a mix depending on which working hours regulations apply, domestic or EU/tachograph. They're a lot more lax about the number of breaks per duty (on the regional routes it's of course a side effect of the far less frequent services).

The 20' turnarounds you suggest aren't always going to be viable. There's only so many drivers we have available. While they make sense under current infrastructure, if the corridors finally get done properly, there's going to be very little need for such long turnaround times when it could mean one bus less on the road. Terminus capacity is always going to be a problem too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Around inchicore this morning there's some posters saying 'save our bus Nr 13 etc.) no more details other than that. Perhaps E spine implementation is really happening, although F was supposed to be happening in November and not a whisper about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ITV2

I know in DBK they've started route training on the 74/L25 routes this week, word has it a November start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭rx8

The F-spine, definitely will not be happening in November. The new zonal routes in Broadstone are starting then. That will see the 1,16,and 140 in one zone and the 15 and 151 in the other, with the 120 moving back to Summerhill.

Post edited by rx8 on

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

2 questions, what are "Zones" please? Why would they (presume Sth Dublin County Council) be digging up all the bustops along a route (150 from Rossmore through to Whitehall Rd West. Do the bus stops change when a spine is implemented. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s an internal Dublin Bus term - marked-in drivers will work across a group of different routes instead of just one - that group is termed a “zone”.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Thanks. Was being nosey.

• Advertisement

I’ll not hold my breath until I see a formal announcement from the NTA.

Still many cancellations and curtailments on the 14 & 15 so all is not well in Donnybrook yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭p_haugh

This was one of the flyers going around, seen someone posted it on Reddit. Don't know where this "action group" is getting their info from, but they're kind of getting hoodwinked 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Consonata

Any idea what's causing that? Felt like a Tokyo train trying to get on a 15 / 14 on Saturday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

On Saturday the service on any bus route serving North Strand was destroyed by the stop/go system at the Five Lamps. Schedules went out the window.

Add to that as above there’s a lack of drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ginga Ninja 001

Lots of new drivers starting in Donnybrook recently, not sure if this could be hampering the schedule as it does take time to learn. But serious pinch points. Bus gate at Trinity being one. Hopefully when Fairview is finished that will help with flow but the handover points at Eden Q is a time consuming factor.

As far as journeys being cancelled due to traffic delays, Saturday was very much a one off. Buses were stuck either side of the Five Lamps for over 20 mins at a time due to a manual stop/go system while they connected up the water mains together.

The main factor is the shortage of drivers. There were multiple 14s and 15s cancelled or curtailed last evening.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Buses today because forecast is crap. So Buses are now completely full from before 7am. They stop for prolonged periods because they are running ahead of schedule and then 100 metres later have to join a queue of traffic 😒

Bus lanes are now completely chokers with cars. Especially 231 registered cars, I guess the sense of entitlement must be higher among new car owners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭p_haugh

So Route 99 is now appearing on Bustimes...

Interesting timetable for a route that only takes 7 minutes for a round trip, could definitely run it a bit more frequently I would think?

Looks to be in service from 8th October as that's the first date shown for the timetables.

I don’t think that those times are remotely realistic.

I think that 10 mins each way plus 5 mins recovery time in each direction would be a more realistic estimate.

• Advertisement

The route is just sort of infuriating, if it was just a lil longer at both ends it'd be a useful service. Would an extension to Ashtown Station kill anyone?

Post edited by cgcsb on

People can connect with route 26 directly to/from the city centre on Parkgate Street, or walk a short distance (3 mins) from Heuston. I really wouldn’t be too worried about that.

But is a shame that it doesn’t serve Farmleigh as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Good god, what a day for cancellations on the Cspine. At least most were actually flagged as cancelled on the app.

Just got a C4 from Lucan to Celbridge which had overcrowding like I haven't seen since the 90s. 2 people actually sitting on the dashboard and 2 in the front door well. But at least we got on and weren't left behind. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

So many cancelled buses lately. 52 and X25 both due within 10 minutes of each other were cancelled at rush hour due to lack of drivers. If that happened midweek when commuting passenger numbers are higher it would lead to bedlam. Standing /crammed in seems to be the norm for most C spine journeys these days, if you're lucky enough to get on a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can a driver get in trouble for allowing more than the permitted number of standing passengers?

I presume once it reached that point the driver refused to stop to take on more passengers.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Like a lot of things in the bus industry, a blind eye is usually turned until something goes wrong (i.e. an accident or injuries caused by a sudden braking incident). That's when the driver gets into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Generally most drivers I've seen will only let 10-15 people standing on an SG before they start driving past stops. Guess it's not worth the hassle of stopping people at a stop from boarding.

Shouldn't be people standing in front of the white line driver will have serious questions to answer if bus was to be involved in an accident. Also the driver can't see the N/S mirror properly if passengers are standing at the front door.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I just tried to check some route detail and got the above, why would they purposely block the site from certain places?

Why not ask the company directly?

No one here is going to be able to answer that.

• Advertisement

Advertisement