Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rainfall (Orange) Warning for Kerry, Cork, Tipp & Waterford - Tues 23 Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Airport warnings not too bad for wind.

CASEMENT EIME AD WRNG 02 VALID 230000/232100 WIND SFC S 25-30KT MAX 45-50 BECMG 2216/2218 SSW 20-25KT MAX 40-45 FCST=

CORK EICK AD WRNG 02 VALID 222100/231800 WIND SFC SSE 25-30KT MAX 45-50 BECMG 2304/2306 SSW 25-30KT MAX 40-45 FCST=

DUBLIN EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 230000/230600 WIND SFC SSE 20-25KT MAX 35-40 FCST=

SHANNON EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 222000/230500 WIND SFC SE 25-30KT MAX 40-45 FCST=

KNOCK EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 222200/230300 WIND SFC SSE 20-25KT MAX 35-40 FCST=

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

A number of warnings have been issued and updated and issued again. They could of issued a yellow wind warning nationwide and and yellow rainfall warning nationwide which would be much easier to read. All counties look like the will meet the Yellow wind and rainfall criteria with orange warnings for the south. Just my view I think its all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Yeah which is great but I am talking about the warnings which seem to be all over the shop on the Met Éireann website. This country is in bad need of a severe flood warning system like the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I think the main worry, for us in cork anyway, is the ground is still really saturated. There's still pools in patches of grass etc so 70mm on top of already saturated ground wouldn't be great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Going out shortly to check the mountain drains above the house (to be sure - I checked earlier but there is so much dead grass around).

Anyone have any guidance if there there any spherics likely from this event ?

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

Low chance SlowBlowin, could be the odd sferic show up around the coasts, up around the W tomorrow early perhaps but low amount if any I would think.

dSCkc7Q.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Yeah which is great but I am talking about the warnings which seem to be all over the shop on the Met Éireann website. This country is in bad need of a severe flood warning system like the UK.

Sorry, but the UK has far more "surprise" floods than we do.

I never understand this "UK is better" rubbish. I lived there, relations live there, and the met office get it right and wrong as much as the met office here.

We are an island and have the most unpredictable weather in the world. That is life.

I think the warnings on met.ie are extremely easy to follow and understand. Even a quick glance will give me a good idea of any extra care required.

Can't see what is difficult to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Darc19 wrote: »
    Sorry, but the UK has far more "surprise" floods than we do.

I never understand this "UK is better" rubbish. I lived there, relations live there, and the met office get it right and wrong as much as the met office here.

We are an island and have the most unpredictable weather in the world. That is life.

I think the warnings on met.ie are extremely easy to follow and understand. Even a quick glance will give me a good idea of any extra care required.

Can't see what is difficult to understand

The UK have a flood warning system but ours isn’t up and running yet, however Met Éireann have one coming with a team working on it.

The problem with the current system is the rainfall warnings don’t take River levels or precious rainfall into account. You could have 30mm every day for a week and it would be all Yellow warnings but the impact would obviously get worse as the cumulative effect was felt. That is the clear issue with the current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can someone shed any light on the reason for the temperature rise overnight and tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Can someone shed any light on the reason for the temperature rise overnight and tomorrow?
    Winds are sourced from the mid latitudes way south of Ireland where it is warmer (semi Tropical) and its been dragged north from the deep area of low pressure out west of Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

5mm here in Tralee so far.

Gusting to 74 km/h SSE.

Seen 90 km/h gust in Valentia in an earlier obs.

rafales_uk_wam9.png

MyXlU0i.png

NetWeather

0Yq0s0s.png?1

Total accumulation , based on radar returns.

4NGCjGf.png?1

• Advertisement

Wind seriously strong here in east Galway.

Ive been roasting all day too.

Very heavy rain now in cork city, pelting down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Sure is heavy in Cork last 2 hours.
    Flooding will depend on how much water is released at the dam. Tides are not high right now but this could be irrelevant in the greater scheme of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Heavy rain been reported at Cork airport in a gusty southerly wind

EICK 222300Z 16023G34KT 4000 +RA BKN005 BKN013 08/08 Q1006 BECMG BKN010

Past reports:

EICK 222230Z 16026G37KT 4000 +RA BKN006 BKN013 08/08 Q1006 BECMG BKN010

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A spectacular 0.3mm here in Galway from this so far. The occasional high sounding gust is more of the main feature here, and even that seems to be waning.

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Nothing wrong with this twitter account.
    But why are we dependant on information from private companies, and amateur accounts, no matter how excellent they may be.

We need a national public body to be responsible for flood related information.

About this twitter account:

About Floodzee.com – Floodzee is the first national information, outlook and alert service in Ireland. It is a privately owned and operated service. It is staffed by experienced flood professionals who have considerable competencies in flood risk management, hydrology and hydraulics, flood assessment. We also have experienced staff in the area of disaster management, critical incidents assessment and control. Our staff is also experienced in statutory control including the EU floods directive and SI 122/2010 the Irish national legislation on flood management and control.

Floodzee has constructed flood models using best available technology by experience IT professionals. It does use information from a number of external sources including public domain information. We have credited the organisations for the use of such information.

We are not associated with any statutory body such as Met Eireann or the OPW. We would like to acknowledge the great work that these organisations carry out and the professionalism of the staff working in those organisations.

Floodzee is the first nationally available Flood Information, outlook and alert service in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

What would have made this a red warning for cork? This looks really bad, ground is completely soaked with water before the rain started and we have 48 hours of rain coming now.

Wind has picked up in the last 20 mins or so, strong gusts.. about 12mm rain in the last two hours, probably about 6 or so since around 9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A spectacular 0.3mm here in Galway from this so far. The occasional high sounding gust is more of the main feature here, and even that seems to be waning.

Seemed to ease for a while, gusts have returned here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 nonsheep7

Exposed SW cork coastline, near Galley head ,nothing major,high tide next half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not much wind or rain to speak of here so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pjkelly

Very heavy rain upland area mid kerry so far , very gusty sse winds preceeding rain earlier, eased a little now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A bit windy and not very wet in West Clare. 2.6mm so far. Not that I expect much, yellow warnings and that.

Jaysus the weather has lost all interest in any intensity in the last year! No true storms, no heatwaves, no proper cold snaps, I've not seen any thunder or lightning, remarkably little hail. Bland, bland and more bland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    A bit windy and not very wet in West Clare. 2.6mm so far. Not that I expect much, yellow warnings and that.

Jaysus the weather has lost all interest in any intensity in the last year! No true storms, no heatwaves, no proper cold snaps, I've not seen any thunder or lightning, remarkably little hail. Bland, bland and more bland!

That is just where you're living!! Cork is getting battered right now. Storms cause an awful lot of problems for people, less of them the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    That is just where you're living!! Cork is getting battered right now. Storms cause an awful lot of problems for people, less of them the better.

Ah that old chestnut. Now, I realise storms cause financial loss etc, however we cannot stop them. As a weather enthusiast, I will enjoy these unstoppable storms when they do come along. I'm not wishing for damage, however many of us do long for some interesting weather.

Living in West Clare, I've experienced a great number of powerful Atlantic storms over the years. I can't imagine a yellow level wind warning is doing any real damage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Villain wrote: »
    The UK have a flood warning system but ours isn’t up and running yet, however Met Éireann have one coming with a team working on it.

The problem with the current system is the rainfall warnings don’t take River levels or precious rainfall into account. You could have 30mm every day for a week and it would be all Yellow warnings but the impact would obviously get worse as the cumulative effect was felt. That is the clear issue with the current system.
    MÉ do issue warnings based on the impact rather than just the numerical values and explain as much on their website.
    I think that, while the current warnings are generally accurate (more or less), the issuing of warnings by county could be changed, especially in cases of storms where coastal flooding would be the main issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

High winds and rain all night,still at it now in north Kilkenny

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very windy start in Dublin 16 with patchy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Up all night and its still has not peaked here, the winds are at their strongest now.

Much worse than I was expecting up here.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

Advertisement