Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

"Theresa May made just about every mistake in the book" says Bertie. He really does have some neck given what he presided over.

I also can't forgive him, but you cannot deny he is one of the shrewdest men around. I thought his thoughts about the current state of the Brexit crisis were very rational. He knows how these things go. Like him or loathe him he has a great political acumen.

What did she lie about?
    She entered a sworn affidavit saying that she had been a keen runner prior to the accident but could not run at all for three months post-accident.

Three weeks after the accident, she ran the Dun Laoghaire 10k race.

She ran it in 53 minutes, which is approximately 11km/ hour.

Edit: I edited my previous post to simply say she gave false information. We can't say that she lied, I suppose.

boombang wrote: »
    Bertie said Maria's father is a good man. If the Wikipedia page on him is correct, he is not a good man.
    I wouldn't be too reliant on Ahern as a judge of character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I also can't forgive him, but you cannot deny he is one of the shrewdest men around. I thought his thoughts about the current state of the Brexit crisis were very rational. He knows how these things go. Like him or loathe him he has a great political acumen.

He has not, sorry to burst your bubble.

He presided over the greatest boom ever experienced in this country and because he didn’t want to say no or stop he ran the lot of us over a cliff.

That’s what a lot of these stults cannot get their heads around, you have to apply the brakes when things start getting dangerous. You have to take the unpopular decisions at some stage, you can’t be all things to all men at all times.

Watch this Green Wave stuff, everyone gung ho, great stuff.

Wait till the COST of all this stuff seeps down to taxpayer, higher fuel/heating costs,carbon taxes, bus corridors, cycle lanes, conjestion costs, car tax hikes...then the penny will drop

All well and fine to laud this but everyone must buy in, and what’s the chance of that happening.....nil and forkhhe all.

Mom and Apple Pie stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Oh dear God listening to the podcast now & the sniffling and snottering is really difficult to listen to ... I long for someone to hand her the box of tissues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,929 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Callan57 wrote: »
    Oh dear God listening to the podcast now & the sniffling and snottering is really difficult to listen to ... I long for someone to hand her the box of tissues

Yeah, I heard the start of the programme and it sounded for all the world as if she was about to hawk up a massive greaser.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Yeah, I heard the start of the programme and it sounded for all the world as if she was about to hawk up a massive greaser.

Yeah felt like she would leave a ‘taxi-mans omelette’ on the studio floor or a ‘gold watch’

Terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

More utter cliches from Marian and co this morning

Such a self satisfied and LAZY broadcaster

You honestly would get more intelligent and interesting conversation in your local nursing home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The forgiveness of Maria Bailey has begun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Great interview atm

If she is talking about talking to dead people there is help available. Brendan O'Connor is not a suitable replacement at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

The second hour of the show is absolutely pointless no matter who presents it. It's like an infomercial for the hour. I'm expecting Barry Scott with his supermop after the break.

I agwee, its like an advertisement for a travel agent, you would swear Donald Trump played golf in west Clare yesterday.....

Riveting plug for a cookery class just there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Brendan O'Connor has such a dull voice that the usual presenter is better even allowing for the coughing and spluttering.

Listening to that 'upspeak' he does had me turning off after the papers.

• Advertisement

While you are correcting the always emotive (but rarely objective) Nora Casey about the context of Trump's response to Sadiq Khan, you might fill her in about the amount of families that were "split up" during Obama's Presidency. He threw more people out of the country than Trump.

While you are correcting the always emotive (but rarely objective) Nora Casey about the context of Trump's response to Sadiq Khan, you might fill her in about the amount of families that were "split up" during Obama's Presidency. He threw more people out of the country than Trump.
    From The New York Times and the U.S. Justice Department, which may be derided as Fake News I expect.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/09/us/politics/fact-check-family-separation-obama.html

Very interesting I saw mentioned on the Joe Rogan Podcast this week. First time I think I've heard the term military industrial complex since Eisenhower. But it's interesting to see that that influence still exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Olivia O' Learys drive time podcast this week puts that claim into context - well worth a listen

Varadkar on the impact of Maria Bailey's compensation claim: "Impossible to quantify... it definitely wasn't a plus"

Brendan O'Connor
    : How did you feel when you heard [Maria Bailey on the Sean O'Rourke show?]
    Varadkar: i felt really bad for her. she is a human being a mother a colleague... one of the more competent ones, one of the up-and-coming ones in my view. And I felt really bad for her.

Brendan O'Connor:
    Was maria bailey treated unfairly? [...] she took quite a hammering didnt she?

Varadkar: she did yeah

Goes on to say that all elected members will be required to give notice to FG when involved in litigation in the future.

Soft interview.

• Advertisement

Oh give me a break. five minutes in to a talk about BREXIT and he's already citing 1930s Germany. And it's great that his house are 75% remainers, but the f**king country voted to leave.

Soft interview.

He sounded very nervous, lots of stammering and stuttering over his words.

Regarding Leo on the Waterford Airport funding ... defending the 5 milllion he said the project was "also being funded by private investment & by local authority funding" not just central funds. But isn't local authority funding simply central funding coming from exactly the same taxpayer but via the scenic route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Regarding Leo on the Waterford Airport funding ... defending the 5 milllion he said the project was "also being funded by private investment & by local authority funding" not just central funds. But isn't local authority funding simply central funding coming from exactly the same taxpayer but via the scenic route?

he's a politician like any other .... people seem to have a notion that everything out of his mouth is the truth .... he's a master of circumlocution and dodging the question like most politicians ... he's just not as obvious as some of the usual moron TD's .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Del.Monte wrote:
    Brendan O'Connor has such a dull voice that the usual presenter is better even allowing for the coughing and spluttering.

sligojoek wrote:
    Listening to that 'upspeak' he does had me turning off after the papers.

Can't stand him. The accent. The 'upspeak'. People who speak liked that clearly are influenced by too much tv watching. Probably teenage stuff. Worryingly many adults do too.

Have just finished a workday calculator for the Marian Finucane Show.

Results so far very similar to Joe Duffy, despite the fact that she only broadcasts on weekends.

Document available here
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16w_isSyG0xbgNr_xcOT4kujz5aTUiDilDNMxoILhp1w/edit?usp=sharing

Have just finished a workday calculator for the Marian Finucane Show.

Results so far very similar to Joe Duffy, despite the fact that she only broadcasts on weekends.

Document available here
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16w_isSyG0xbgNr_xcOT4kujz5aTUiDilDNMxoILhp1w/edit?usp=sharing

You really need to get a life :):):)

You really need to get a life :):):)
    Ha! I probably do, you should see how I keep a track of horse-racing data (a hobby, not gambling!)

I do this kind of stuff every day in work, this Marian Finucane sheet only took about a half hour.

All the calculations are done automatically, so if anyone wants to add to the upkeep of this or to the Joe Duffy show XL sheets, PM me.

That eejit who runs Dublin airport on now

He always seems to get an easy ride on the media

Why is Dublin airport expanding if climate change is such a big issue now?

Such a waffler this lad is.

Always the same

• Advertisement

Another easy soft interview for that philips guy. Loads of complaints were addressed to him and he just waffled and talked in circles. Always the way.

Very unusual how Christians seem to have to be almost apologetic for having faith, and then the interview is followed by the Angelus.

Another easy soft interview for that philips guy. Loads of complaints were addressed to him and he just waffled and talked in circles. Always the way.

If this reflects his pitch to the Regulator I can see why he isn't getting an increase ... it came across to me as simply "I want more money".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Dave Fanning is on. Time to switch off. How many words a minute does he go? Where is Tyrant's database?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

May I suggest that if Marian was being interviewed today in 2019 for her position as an RTE radio presenter, she'd fail miserably due to her horrific delivery!

... splutter, cough, clear throat, gasp, swallow, gulp, cough, gulp, smack lips, swallow, gasp, gulp, speak a sentence or two in a falsetto voice.... then back to what sounds like a well cultivated whiskey & fags (gasping for air) type of voice!

I can only imagine that her seniority keeps her insitu @RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

May I suggest that if Marian was being interviewed today in 2019 for her position as an RTE radio presenter, she'd fail miserably due to her horrific delivery!

... splutter, cough, clear throat, gasp, swallow, gulp, cough, gulp, smack lips, swallow, gasp, gulp, speak a sentence or two in a falsetto voice.... then back to what sounds like a well cultivated whiskey & fags (gasping for air) type of voice!

I can only imagine that her seniority keeps her insitu @RTE.

The vast majority of non-news hosts on RTE are shocking.

This is a company that re-signed Ray "uhhhhhhh" D'Arcy.

I am reluctant to talk about this as I feel that she may be ill. I have no concrete evidence for this but judging by her coughing, general sounding unwell, and the amount of time that she has taken off - she must be ill. Well, either Marian Finucane is ill or somebody in RTE management is, one or the other.

I am reluctant to talk about this as I feel that she may be ill. I have no concrete evidence for this but judging by her coughing, general sounding unwell, and the amount of time that she has taken off - she must be ill. Well, either Marian Finucane is ill or somebody in RTE management is, one or the other.
    How can you be reluctant to say something which you then go on to state without compunction?

No speculation/ hysteria is welcome here when it comes to the personal health or life of any broadcaster or journalist. That is one line we will not cross. Cop on Jeremy. Any comments or questions PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why are two people who didn’t follow the case on the show?

• Advertisement

Did I really hear that guy really say "I contributed to the problems"

bobbyss wrote: »
    Where is Tyrant's database?
    So far, Finucane is averaging one week of holidays for every month worked. Well done, NK Management.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16w_isSyG0xbgNr_xcOT4kujz5aTUiDilDNMxoILhp1w/edit#gid=0

If anyone else wants to update or amend that sheet, or add new columns, PM me and I'll give you the login details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I really hope she's not sick, as that would be very sad indeed, and I certainly wouldn't have questioned her splutterings if I'd been aware of any I'll health.... :(

Pretty historic goings on this morning. Look at Trump over there starting wars again as usual :rolleyes:

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0630/1059262-possible-trump-kim-meeting/

Be interesting to see how Brendan's guests spin the story.

Just listening to that story that Brendan called out there.

"Irish veteran performer at centre of major sex attack investigation after ‘groping incident at event’"

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4272988/irish-performer-sex-assault-probe/

Note: The star is not named, but I'm as curious as the rest of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Any idea who he is.Just initials.

• Advertisement

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Any idea who he is.Just initials.
    Er, no.

Any information which could make someone reasonably identifiable could be defamatory, it doesn't matter whether you use a full name, initials, or probably even their birthday. This isn't for forum for any 'big reveal'. Anyone who attempts to identify one or another individual will be banned -Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

:)God you're no fun.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure why bother even acknowledging the audience? :D

What was on today people. It was Brendan again I presume?

Marian was back today. I just got the last 10 mins. It was Adrian Weckler and tech talk.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement