Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Their Aussie site just seems to be a redirect to the UK site, not an actually different one. You can then select the currency in the top corner but everything else is the same. Presumably they can easily make up a list of sales destined for each territory and then tell parkrun where to send the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Breaking: Vicarstown confirmed for Oct 18 - live on the parkrun.ie website

"This is an out-and-back course, along the Grand Canal tow path. This tow path has a grass surface, for the full distance. The start / finish is 300m north from Vicarstown Bridge, in the Monasterevan direction"

Apparently Killaloe is next on Oct 25 with more to follow in November, including one in Cavan

If you search for Clarisford parkrun on Google you'll find a map that says "Clarisford parkrun. Public · · 44 views. Created on Sep 14 · By parkrun HQ" Right on the banks of the Shannon it would appear

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

looking forward to my first park run tomorrow. Most likely malahide

A page has been created on Facebook, within the last few minutes, for a new parkrun in Poppintree Park in Ballymun. No other info yet but hear it could be up and running as early as November

...and while floating around FB just now, I received an invite to like a new page for a run in Cootehill, Co Cavan. The next couple of months are gearing up to be quite busy and exciting with all these new events coming on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

All going well there will be 22 parkruns in the Republic of Ireland before years end

Clarisford FB page says Nov 1 start date now. Shame as I'm away that weekend.

I'm told there is pretty much going to be one new parkrun per week starting with Kilkenny on Oct 11 and continuing for the next few weeks. Kilkenny will be the 16th in the Republic, followed by Vicarstown as the 17th a week later. I hope Cootehill is the following week, although it would probably take me as long driving to Cavan as it would Dublin.

• Advertisement

Amigaman wrote: »
    All going well there will be 22 parkruns in the Republic of Ireland before years end

Kilkenny (16), Vicarstown (17), Clarisford (18)? also FB pages started for Cootehill, Popintree, makes 20. I'm intrigued as to where the others will be. Someone mentioned Ballina - although not sure if they meant Tipp or Mayo.

I was a little unsure on that myself , although I think its mayo , the other would be a new parkrun in West Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Kilkenny (16), Vicarstown (17), Clarisford (18)? also FB pages started for Cootehill, Popintree, makes 20. I'm intrigued as to where the others will be. Someone mentioned Ballina - although not sure if they meant Tipp or Mayo.

Ballina, Mayo is on its way alright.

Amigaman wrote: »
    I was a little unsure on that myself , although I think its mayo , the other would be a new parkrun in West Dublin

Is Hartstown west Dublin? Heard some talk of this

belcarra wrote: »
    Ballina, Mayo is on its way alright.

That makes more sense than Tipp given Clarisford is just across the river. Any idea when this might be coming on board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

That makes more sense than Tipp given Clarisford is just across the river. Any idea when this might be coming on board?

In October it seems...https://twitter.com/MayoSport1/status/512613861959409664

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Is Hartstown west Dublin? Heard some talk of this

Yes. Hartstown Park is just 3mins drive from Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

I used to run in the park a few times per week. It's fairly small & a full lap of the pathway is exactly 3.5km.

According to its FB page, Cootehill is also due to start on Nov 1

Poppintree is the third new run to announce it is starting on Nov 1. Ballina is due to start on Nov 22. I'm out of the country for both. Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Naas parkrun changed it's starting point at the weekend but unfortunately made a mistake and meant the course was 200 metres short, they acknowledged it on their facebook page and will correct it for this week.

I wasn't running it myself this weekend but my wife was, she said the start is off to the right hand side now as you come in from the road.
    It's so that late comers (Naas always has plenty due to the distance from the car to start line, you need to give about 20mins) and can join the back of the field instead of meeting the runners coming towards them. Also it means you have to run the slight hill that's near the start only twice instead of three times so a slightly faster course now.

I wish the starting area was nearer to the road though, I'd happily finish further away from the road at the end as the walk back to the car does no harm to loosen up the legs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hi,
    Thinking of registering for these. I have local to me so will be travelling to them until one starts up local. Does the 'Home Race' option matter much that you have to pick when registering?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi,
    Thinking of registering for these. I have local to me so will be travelling to them until one starts up local. Does the 'Home Race' option matter much that you have to pick when registering?.
    Nope.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The only significance of your home event is when it comes to claiming a 10, 50, 100 or 250 tshirt as that is the event that the tshirt would get sent to. But you can change what your home event is at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

robinph wrote: »
    The only significance of your home event is when it comes to claiming a 10, 50, 100 or 250 tshirt as that is the event that the tshirt would get sent to. But you can change what your home event is at any point.

Do Irish parkrunners get 50, 100 and 250 t shirts or is it only in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Do Irish parkrunners get 50, 100 and 250 t shirts or is it only in the UK?

In the UK they have Adidas, Pru Health and Sweatshop for sponsorship.

As far as I know there are no sponsors as yet in Ireland so no milestone T-Shirts.

Is there a facility for people to pay for their own T-Shirts once they hit these milestones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

npresto wrote: »
    In the UK they have Adidas, Pru Health and Sweatshop for sponsorship.

As far as I know there are no sponsors as yet in Ireland so no milestone T-Shirts.

Is there a facility for people to pay for their own T-Shirts once they hit these milestones?
    The club (milestone) t-shirts can't be bought, and there's no sponsor (yet) in Ireland. But, whenever a sponsor is got, everyone who qualified already will get them retrospectively.

Oops, sorry. I should have kept quite about the tshirts. :o

Move along, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

From the website...
    In the USA, South Africa, Denmark, Poland, New Zealand and the Republic of Ireland

At the moment we do not allow the parkrun brand to be used on clothing or other merchandise other than the club t-shirts and a small number of adidas produced garments that head office staff are required to wear when representing parkrun. We don't feel like it's the right time to start offering t-shirts, or other merchandise, in these countries. It may seem simple but sadly it is not.

We know that many people would love to be able to get their hands on a parkrun t-shirt (or other pieces of merchandise). This is a constantly evolving issue and thus the teams in each country continue to evaluate their position on merchandise. We'll let you know as soon as there is any change.

Anyway thanks for the help guys, registered earlier.
    Naas here i come:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

From the website...

That info on merchandise is somewhat dated, what with the new parkrun shop on Wiggle.

eoinín wrote: »
    That info on merchandise is somewhat dated, what with the new parkrun shop on Wiggle.

You can buy the shirts from Wiggle anywhere in the world. They still don't, to the best of my knowledge, award 50, 100, 250 club shirts to anyone registered outside of the UK.

Even in the UK it's getting harder to get your hands on a club shirt as there's a massive backlog.

The Clarisford-Killaloe parkrun is now live on the parkrun website and now says it is due to start on October 25, not Nov 1 as stated on the Facebook page.

They say it's a flat course starting at the entrance to Clarisford Park. It heads south towards the River Shannon on a woodland road before turning left onto the Clarisford Park trail path and doing 4 anticlockwise laps.

The only other 4 lap course I've done is Comber and I was losing the will half way around the third. I would imagine this would be far more picturesque, however.

• Advertisement

Cootehill starts on Nov 1 and is the first course to cross into different counties.

"The route follows a two lap figure of eight course along the east and west bank of the Dromore River. It starts from Halton's Amenity outdoor gym area beside the Halton's car park."

Hartstown in Dublin joined Facebook last night - no start date as yet although it could well be mid-late November

Update on Hartstown:

Starting on Saturday, November 22 at 9.30am and every Saturday thereafter a free 5km timed run will take place in the park starting near the parking lot behind Hartstown Community School.

hi - just noticed that the Poppintree site is now live on parkrun.ie
    http://www.parkrun.ie/poppintree/
    Course details are here..
    http://www.parkrun.ie/poppintree/course/
    Good luck to all involved
    it starts on the 1st November 2014 09.30

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good turn out in kilkenny for the first Park run, I'd say maybe 200? Shame about the fog.
    Here's the route for anyone curious. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/609930257

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Cabaal wrote: »
    Good turn out in kilkenny for the first Park run, I'd say maybe 200? Shame about the fog.

Thought the fog added to it myself Cabaal. Felt almost Dickensian as I plodded past the castle.

Wearing a top hat and long coat next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

At least three first place finishes for boardsies in this morning's parkruns.
    Great stuff! :)

Edit: AMK's namesake also won in Ardgillan :D

Got my second first finisher spot in two weeks running this morning. OK so I went to a smaller event in the far end of Wales this week, but was still relatively close between the first three of us despite there only being 50 ish of us running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

robinph wrote: »
    Got my second first finisher spot in two weeks running this morning. OK so I went to a smaller event in the far end of Wales this week, but was still relatively close between the first three of us despite there only being 50 ish of us running.
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    At least three four first place finishes for boardsies in this morning's parkruns.
    Great stuff! :)

Edit: AMK's namesake also won in Ardgillan :D

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Did my first one this mng in Naas, just under 70 runners and ideal conditions. Have to say it was really well organised.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Good turn out in kilkenny for the first Park run, I'd say maybe 200? Shame about the fog.[/url]

Fog made it great I thought. There were four of us down from Belfast, five if you count one of the volunteers.
    They changed the route at the last minute though which caused at least one runner to be sent the wrong way on the final lap. He ended up running an extra 400 metres, when he had been on for a top 5 finish.
    Three times up the hill to the start/finish line made it tougher than I thought it would be, but I'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Quite a few Parkrun's on the horizon and I know they are hopefully expanding around the country. Once word spread they start springing up in clusters. I think there is one in the pipeline for Sligo and a few more areas have expressed an interest

Sligo would be nice. Not too bad a trip from Belfast.

A couple other Dublin venues are being talked about in addition to Hartstown and Poppintree, which are both coming on board in November. Shanganagh is one and Bushy Park in Rathfarnham is another. I think the idea there is to take some of the crowds away from Marlay.

On FB, parkrun Ireland said they also had agreement with JFK in Wexford and funding in place - all they need is a start-up team. Tralee is coming along nicely as well.

And just when it appears the south is overtaking the north, a couple new events in Derry are apparently going to start up next year, one in Limavady - I'm guessing at Roe Valley, which is beautiful.

I'm looking forward to both Laois and Clare now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Tralee Park Run, that's just lovely now (down there a good bit as my wife is from that part of the world)....any idea of the route/location?

• Advertisement

Hartstown now starting on Nov 15 so no clash with Ballina on Nov 22 if running inaugurals is your thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

is there any park run scheduled for either cork or limerick city?

who_ru wrote: »

There are three in Co Cork - Macroom, Clonakilty and Bere Island. I think the issue in the city is finding a suitable park.

Clarisford in Killaloe, which starts on Oct 25, will be the closest to Limerick city to date. It's only about half an hour from the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

who_ru wrote: »

I got in touch with Matt previously about one in Cork city but for some reason only a few people were interested. Lack of a location is one of the problems, the park out where the old dump was has been just about to open for over three years now and is still nowhere to be seen! Anyone remember the 5k race there back in '11?

As well the rep from the HSE seems to be looking for someone to provide funding so I wasn't too much use as I'm only representing myself instead of a company or body.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

opus wrote: »
    I got in touch with Matt previously about one in Cork city but for some reason only a few people were interested. Lack of a location is one of the problems, the park out where the old dump was has been just about to open for over three years now and is still nowhere to be seen! Anyone remember the 5k race there back in '11?

As well the rep from the HSE seems to be looking for someone to provide funding so I wasn't too much use as I'm only representing myself instead of a company or body.

The regional park in Ballincollig would be an option but i spose it was take from Macroom a bit which is a small enough parkrun already.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement