Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Did you listen to it?

And BTW the tone of this question is so condescending!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Why do LOI fans chant in an English accent? This has always baffled me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

McTepid? I was a bit lost.. can someone fill me in on the joke :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

lawred2 wrote: »
    I know it's not exactly modern of me but the mere hint of a women's variety of GAA, football, rugby etc being the subject for discussion has me either forwarding past the segment or deleting the podcast entirely.

Women's Tennis, Athletics, Gymnastics etc no bother - can listen to those being discussed but I just can't pretend to myself that I'm interested in the majority of women's sports.

And obviously that's the attitude that in general probably should change however as an 'entertainment' product - to take away nothing from the commitment and dedication of those involved - it's just not that entertaining.

I find some of Richie's player chairs a bit hit and miss - some excellent - some terrible but I couldn't even bring myself to give this latest one a try..

Have to agree with this take.. To delve in slightly deeper to this attitude (which I'm equally guilty of) it's the fact that the men's and women's athletic and tennis tours are so traditionally aligned with the women's, that we're conditioned to believe that they're valid sports. If they were separate entities, we'd have equal interest in them as we do in women's golf or even LOI football.

McTepid? I was a bit lost.. can someone fill me in on the joke :o

I think this is because of Eoin fairly uncontroversial 'hot takes'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Found it more condescending than anything.

I've found that LOI fans on the interwebs can come across very precious/defensive/bitter....which has always put me off having a look into the "greatest league in the world".....Murph did a better sales job of it than any of the internet moaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They thought he was an undercover garda!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

He's a really tall culchie looking a bit bewildered with the LOI animals. You can see how they'd mistaken him for one alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I've found that LOI fans on the interwebs can come across very precious/defensive/bitter....which has always put me off having a look into the "greatest league in the world".....Murph did a better sales job of it than any of the internet moaners.

No, he was condescending. You're just painting a whole big picture of your own that I'm offended by it when it's just an observation. I don't expect anything different from SC nor do I subscribe to them with the expectation of domestic soccer coverage. They know their strengths and do them well.

tomwaits48 wrote: »

Boards LOI fans are like boards cyclists. They come in to defend their way, thinking they're doing their cause good but it's the complete opposite. Actually, come to think of it, the cyclists are worse because there's more of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭Raoul

I'm one of the usuals in here "moaning" about Second Captains not covering LOI. I thought Murph's piece was great. If that is the angle they have on it then that is fantastic. It is fun going to games in your local community. It's not just about the football. I didn't think it was condescending in the slightest.

I listened to LOI Weekly and Johnny Ward was at the same game and if you played his thoughts on going to the game, nobody would be interested. He covered, the seats being tiny with no leg room (he is a small enough guy and Murph is a giant), the crowd trouble outside before and after the game and he also talked of how the game was devoid of any real quality.

So...I think I would prefer the general public to hears Murph's puff piece on the enjoyment of going to the game than the real LOI person's opinion in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Apologies about this not being Second Captains related but does anyone recommend a good La Liga podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

CiaranW wrote: »
    Apologies about this not being Second Captains related but does anyone recommend a good La Liga podcast.

Sid Lowe https://soundcloud.com/thespanishfootballpodcast

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Anyone else think that the reaction to the Kepa incident was way over the top? The death of football (once again) due to something that has happened once recently and Wilson's primary example from the 1940's?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,586 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nokotan wrote: »
    Anyone else think that the reaction to the Kepa incident was way over the top? The death of football (once again) due to something that has happened once recently and Wilson's primary example from the 1940's?

Haven't listened to SC yet. Saw the end of the match yesterday. Seemed like a bit of a miscommunication.

Then I looked at some of the news about it, I thought I'd somehow missed some sort of cataclysmic comedy event.

If you aren't interested in the Kepa incident, skip the entire football show today. A 5 minute talking point dragged into an entire show with 3 journalists talking about it.

OK, skip about the first 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Anyone know if they actually put up the board with his number on it? Everyone seems to be saying they did, but I didn't see any footage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Still Ill wrote: »
    Anyone know if they actually put up the board with his number on it? Everyone seems to be saying they did, but I didn't see any footage of it.

Pretty sure i saw a green 13 going up which is caballero's #

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you aren't interested in the Kepa incident, skip the entire football show today. A 5 minute talking point dragged into an entire show with 3 journalists talking about it.

OK, skip about the first 40 minutes.

Had to turn it off, they really dragged the arse out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

That was poxy. I can't handle this anymore. I am organizing a march on Saturday demanding Ken's holiday request is revoked and he is summoned back. I'll get the yellow vests on this, Gemma O'D too. This can't go on.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Had to turn it off, they really dragged the arse out of it.

The totally football show spent about 3min on it which is all it deserved. Unless its ken blowing up these minor issues then I'm not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah yeah, I know it was a talking point, but it was far too predictable that it was going to be talked about to death - you'd swear it was the Congress of Vienna - and it makes me think there's way too many football journalists out there talking about stuff that doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Anyone else think the pod has been awful without Ken?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Arghus wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I know it was a talking point, but it was far too predictable that it was going to be talked about to death - you'd swear it was the Congress of Vienna - and it makes me think there's way too many football journalists out there talking about stuff that doesn't really matter.

This haha!

The weird thing is i really want to hear Ken's thoughts on it but anyone else talking about it and i'm like WTF shut up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Anyone else think the pod has been awful without Ken?

Yeah, it's still listenable but you'd miss Ken for sure. They know it too, they've been very vague about how long he's going to be away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah, it's still listenable but you'd miss Ken for sure. They know it too, they've been very vague about how long he's going to be away.

They said he's back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Beersmith wrote:
    The totally football show spent about 3min on it which is all it deserved.

I agree that an entire pod on the Kepa incident wasn't necessary, but it was still the biggest talking point of this weekend's English football.

There were very few talking points in PL matches. The United Pool game was dour, so was the League Cup final for that matter.

The Kepa incident wouldn't necessarily be a landmark for player power, but it definitely showed how desperate things are at Chelsea.

I do agree though that Ken would have relished this story! Disappointed that his slant was missing, but I think Eoin mentioned on the Monday pod that he's back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pete Moss wrote: »
    I agree that an entire pod on the Kepa incident wasn't necessary, but it was still the biggest talking point of this weekend's English football.

There were very few talking points in PL matches. The United Pool game was dour, so was the League Cup final for that matter.

The Kepa incident wouldn't necessarily be a landmark for player power, but it definitely showed how desperate things are at Chelsea.

I do agree though that Ken would have relished this story! Disappointed that his slant was missing, but I think Eoin mentioned on the Monday pod that he's back next week.

Maybe it's emblematic of how boring, predictable, routine and disengaging professional football has become.

A desperation to find talking points..

For the last few years it's been more about managers in a personality contest than the game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

lawred2 wrote: »
    Maybe it's emblematic of how boring, predictable, routine and disengaging professional football has become.

A desperation to find talking points..

For the last few years it's been more about managers in a personality contest than the game of football.

They're running a football podcast though.

If they don't want to talk about football then it's probably not a great idea to run a football podcast

People get disengaged with sport at different times in their lives, that's understandable. I still find football very engaging on a week to week basis. This year's title race has been the most interesting in about a decade. I love second captains but it sounds like they'd prefer to be reporting on Harchester United rather than stuff on the pitch sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

dulux99 wrote: »
    They're running a football podcast though.

If they don't want to talk about football then it's probably not a great idea to run a football podcast

People get disengaged with sport at different times in their lives, that's understandable. I still find football very engaging on a week to week basis. This year's title race has been the most interesting in about a decade. I love second captains but it sounds like they'd prefer to be reporting on Harchester United rather than stuff on the pitch sometimes.

They can talk about football without actually talking about the game of football.

It seems that that's the way most journos are at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement