Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Prices are cut as soon as it goes live but he still shows a decent profit at Betfair SP, he's the best in the business.

They are cut before then, I wrote some code to notify me when his updated page and the prices were almost half everywhere before I got to the race.

I gave up as I read he sends his selections into the office 20 minutes before they go up on his page so someone is notifing the bookies in advance.

No doubting his selections / strike rate but his stats are way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Shemale wrote: »
    They are cut before then, I wrote some code to notify me when his updated page and the prices were almost half everywhere before I got to the race.

I gave up as I read he sends his selections into the office 20 minutes before they go up on his page so someone is notifing the bookies in advance.

No doubting his selections / strike rate but his stats are way off.
    Not sure that is correct, why would he be sending his selections to the firms before they go live?
    Take Cayirli today, went live at 9.37am and price was cut across the board at 9.38am, but the price was available before Hugh Taylor's tip went live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Not sure that is correct, why would he be sending his selections to the firms before they go live?
    Take Cayirli today, went live at 9.37am and price was cut across the board at 9.38am, but the price was available before Hugh Taylor's tip went live

It doesn't necessarily have to be him, could be anyone in ATR, I did that for months and could never get the advertised price with the bookie mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

Hugh fires in a winner advised at 12/1 at the 715pm in Kempton, SP 7/1.

edit: And a second! Although it was advised at 9/4 so slim enough, SP 11/8, in the 745pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

tinpib wrote: »
    Hugh fires in a winner advised at 12/1 at the 715pm in Kempton, SP 7/1.

edit: And a second! Although it was advised at 9/4 so slim enough, SP 11/8, in the 745pm.

He’s on fire haha
    He will go on a little run over the next few days I think.

It’s been said before but surely tomoro is sharjahs night, poor race.
    Some one try put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Some one try put me off.

Poitins night I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Some one try put me off.

I won't put you off I just heard something tonight . Call it very tentative word .

Poitins night I reckon.

Don’t think he’s running, read somewhere trainer is being cautious after he ran a horse at English meeting the other day.

aidankkk wrote: »
    I won't put you off I just heard something tonight . Call it very tentative word .

Ye the wide draw is a pain but should still get to front, can’t find what catches him, chaparral dream is still a maiden, suppose trump card is the main danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Anything for Steepledowns or Hurdlewood Valley today lads

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Anything for Steepledowns or Hurdlewood Valley today lads

Heard it's best to avoid the Gigginstown horses at Steepledowns anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Nothing more embarrasing than seeing grown men curse and blind when his cartoon didnt win

akelly02 wrote: »
    Nothing more embarrasing than seeing grown men curse and blind when his cartoon didnt win

It's genuinely sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just waiting for sting to come on and post his winning cartoons at some stage...:pac:

Anyone see the Japanese virtual horse racing, now that’s entertainment.
    YouTube it

I was in the bookies once when some aul lad asked for a print out of the racecard for Sprint Valley. Very sad

Andrew00 wrote: »
    I was in the bookies once when some aul lad asked for a print out of the racecard for Sprint Valley. Very sad

ITs brutal altogether, it seems to be men in 40s and 50s who do be at it the most..

id be there looking up the form for ascot, and next to me thered be a lad looking at the 'form' for sprint valley, they shouldnt be put up on the board like that

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

It shouldn't be allowed full stop.

The roulette etc. machines have the built in "win" percentage where it is meant to be a random/similar to the real life version but virtual horse racing is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

ITs brutal altogether, it seems to be men in 40s and 50s who do be at it the most..

id be there looking up the form for ascot, and next to me thered be a lad looking at the 'form' for sprint valley, they shouldnt be put up on the board like that

exactly I never see any lad in their 20’s or 30’s go near them plastic horses, yet I see men in their 50’s doing 200 quid on the favourite at Portman Park ect and then calling it crooked when it loses

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Has the equine flu spread to South Africa? As if things weren't bad enough in the bookies shops, Fairview was abandoned today.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭stevief01

500 navan four country roads

stevief01 wrote: »
    500 navan four country roads

Four roadssss from Glenamaddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Won 2 tickets to Fairyhouse tomorrow but can't go.
    1st to PM me can have them if they want......
    Need to be collected at the course.

maximo31 wrote: »
    Won 2 tickets to Fairyhouse tomorrow but can't go.
    1st to PM me can have them if they want......
    Need to be collected at the course.

Gone already!:)

• Advertisement

maximo31 wrote: »
    Gone already!:)

muchos gracias!!

in return you get my knowledge...my mug accum for cheltenham!!

Benie de dieux mares @ 7/4
    altior champion chase @2/5
    tiger roll x country 5/4
    paisley park stayers 2/1

muchos gracias!!

in return you get my knowledge...my mug accum for cheltenham!!

Benie de dieux mares @ 7/4
    altior champion chase @2/5
    tiger roll x country 5/4
    paisley park stayers 2/1

Thanks I'll keep them hotpots in mind!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Anyone know how you get your RacingTv app verified/connected to your sky account?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dylan Robinson the latest jockey to get banned for coke.

3 years but can be appealed at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

ASOT wrote: »

It mentioned five jockeys tested positive last year. Who are they do we know?

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »

another one sniffs the dust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Kieran Kellys anniversary tomorrow. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Just watching the main sports news bulletin on BBC Breakfast there - 4th or 5th item they mentioned the Fez starting today with a line about how "all eyes will be on horse welfare after 7 deaths last year". Not a word about the actual racing, who the favourites are etc

Feels like I have been reading and listening to nothing but Cheltenham previews and podcasts for about a month and i can honestly say i dont think I've heard a single word about horse welfare.

Really shows the disconnect between racing insiders and the wider public i thought. Probably a UK issue mainly though, dont think the Irish non racing/ general public are anywhere as "concerned" about the whip etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

No doubt some journalist has been working away on a pre written article and just needs to slot in the name of a misfortunate into their slanted article this week if he /she can get one. Hopefully all runners and riders get around safely this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Is racing Uk the only place showing all of Cheltenham

naughto wrote: »
    Is racing Uk the only place showing all of Cheltenham

Virgin Media One

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Virgin stop at 4.30 by the looks of things. I'd say Racing TV would be the only place

Must get the eyes checked looked on tv3 but didn’t see it.we will have or fortune won by then Ming no need for the last race

Was fun today watching the drug dogs checking everyone entering Cheltenham and quite a few being questioned and taken away by police . Will rid the track of those tossers

BumperD wrote: »
    Was fun today watching the drug dogs checking everyone entering Cheltenham and quite a few being questioned and taken away by police . Will rid the track of those tossers

Must be the first year for them? Never seen sniffer dogs just the metal detectors, etc... in the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Must be the first year for them? Never seen sniffer dogs just the metal detectors, etc... in the past few years.

They were there on trials day

BumperD wrote: »

How long did you watch them for? Get any racing in?:P

So many threads on here now have people taking things off topic or chipping in with their own fancies, then someone posts telling them to cop on, they get a load of thanks from everyone and within 10 posts it's back to where it was before, pretty sure it never used to be like this or maybe I'm getting old

Today’s tips

Cheltenham tips.. 1.30 leaky tap, but only if its running.. 2.10 foundation., you can put your house on it. 2.40 creosote, its gr8 over fences..3.10 v-neck is a good jumper.. 3.30 ironing board, you can put your shirt on it. 3.50 dusty rug, never been beaten.. and i was excited about itchyfanny in the last but its been scratched.

How long did you watch them for? Get any racing in?:P

15 minutes as was waiting to give someone a free hospitality ticket. Spoke to one of the cops he had 4 A4 pages of details of tossers that were turned away absolutely delighted :)

Watched all the racing with a birds eye view I assure you :)

So many threads on here now have people taking things off topic or chipping in with their own fancies, then someone posts telling them to cop on, they get a load of thanks from everyone and within 10 posts it's back to where it was before, pretty sure it never used to be like this or maybe I'm getting old

Usually bad from previous years - this year is beyond brutal!
    Today’s tips

Cheltenham tips.. 1.30 leaky tap, but only if its running.. 2.10 foundation., you can put your house on it. 2.40 creosote, its gr8 over fences..3.10 v-neck is a good jumper.. 3.30 ironing board, you can put your shirt on it. 3.50 dusty rug, never been beaten.. and i was excited about itchyfanny in the last but its been scratched.

Post reported...

Usually bad from previous years - this year is beyond brutal!

Post reported...

Thanks Gavin it’s great to feel wanted

Thanks Gavin it’s great to feel wanted

I hear the Laughter Lounge need some stand-up comedians for next weekend :pac:

I have actually had a bet at Cheltenham today (yes I know), A Toi Phil in the Pertemps

• Advertisement

I have actually had a bet at Cheltenham today (yes I know), A Toi Phil in the Pertemps

He's been converted! :p

Advertisement