Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What did you say you ran? Was it 6:27s? How far away is your marathon? Keep doing what you're doing and watch your time come down. Carlingford half will be a decent gauge for you. I did 1:23 after less that 4 weeks of a programme and it was a great confidence boost. A race is a good wake up call and then go into training after that with a fresh idea. I might see you in Carlingford, don't think i'll be fit for 1:23 but I want to push things and see. I think spring training is horrible but a decent springboard for the autumn races. Think longer term. What are your tempos and intervals looking like? I can tell you what worked for me to get in under the 3. There are people on here who have very fast set times in the half and equate that to sub3 fit but I think if you're in the 1:26/1:27 then it's on as long as you get your miles in and race smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

squinn2912 wrote: »
    What did you say you ran? Was it 6:27s? How far away is your marathon? Keep doing what you're doing and watch your time come down. Carlingford half will be a decent gauge for you. I did 1:23 after less that 4 weeks of a programme and it was a great confidence boost. A race is a good wake up call and then go into training after that with a fresh idea. I might see you in Carlingford, don't think i'll be fit for 1:23 but I want to push things and see. I think spring training is horrible but a decent springboard for the autumn races. Think longer term. What are your tempos and intervals looking like? I can tell you what worked for me to get in under the 3. There are people on here who have very fast set times in the half and equate that to sub3 fit but I think if you're in the 1:26/1:27 then it's on as long as you get your miles in and race smart.

Yes 6.27 per mile in Raheny. My 400 m intervals last week were coming in at 1.30 with 45 secs recovery , my 1.2km tempos coming in at 6.42 pace i think. Have 11 weeks to Boston. With another month to Carlingford i think i can get down to 1.27 if all goes well. Although not sure if the course is fast or slow. Whatever fitnesslevel i get to come race day thats the pace ill be running .

squinn2912 wrote: »

1.23 after 4 weeks of a programme is savage running ? Did you have a lot of base done ? Let me know if you sign up ðŸ‘

1.23 after 4 weeks of a programme is savage running ? Did you have a lot of base done ? Let me know if you sign up ðŸ‘

Thanks lad yea it was a massive PB. I had done Derry marathon but buckled at 22 miles and had to walk so the legs didn't get the same battering. So this was about 12 weeks after it if my memory is right. Maybe 6 weeks in come to think of it. Carlingford is signed up yea I'm gonna give it a rattle. Running ok. Did a 6 mile tempo at around 6:20s last nigth with 2 wu/cd and felt ok but on track rather than hills.

Did 1.08.15 in Trim today averaging 648 per mile .
    Avg HR was 166 . Found it difficult . Went well for 6 miles but the last 4 was into the wind and I struggled. I did not seem to have any strength on the short drags . Perhaps the recovery time between Raheny and Trim was not sufficient. Had a Epsom bath when I came home and have the compression tights on. Have fed and hydrated well since the race. Tomorrow i will just swim easy at lunch.
    My time in Raheny had me at VDOT 51 . Today is VDOT 50. Sub 3 is VDOT 54. Realistically with 9 weeks to go 54 is a reach . Add in the 314m total elevation makes it a bigger reach . However I will keep chipping away to see how close I can get. I have 4 quality weeks of training ahead before Carlingford Half . Will keep it lit . Happy running to everyone ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

There's a English guy on YouTube vloging his training targeting a 2:55 marathon in Newport his chanel is called FOD runner. I haven't watched any of his videos so I can't really comment on the content. But some here might find it interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Did 1.08.15 in Trim today averaging 648 per mile .
    Avg HR was 166 . Found it difficult . Went well for 6 miles but the last 4 was into the wind and I struggled. I did not seem to have any strength on the short drags . Perhaps the recovery time between Raheny and Trim was not sufficient. Had a Epsom bath when I came home and have the compression tights on. Have fed and hydrated well since the race. Tomorrow i will just swim easy at lunch.
    My time in Raheny had me at VDOT 51 . Today is VDOT 50. Sub 3 is VDOT 54. Realistically with 9 weeks to go 54 is a reach . Add in the 314m total elevation makes it a bigger reach . However I will keep chipping away to see how close I can get. I have 4 quality weeks of training ahead before Carlingford Half . Will keep it lit . Happy running to everyone ðŸ‘

Well done on persevering! That 10m sounded like a slog and no doubt that the 5m was in your legs. 9 weeks out is realistically 7 weeks of work when you factor in this week to recover (you are doing all the right stuff but the fibres will take a few days) and a taper week. 7 weeks work (including the half marathon)

From a VDOt perspective its encouraging that you have gone from 48ish for 5k to 51 for 5M and 50 for the 10m. Even with the wind on the last 4m in Trim though I'd be concerned about the lack of strength endurance.

With 7 weeks work left are you training to the sub 3 paces or have you established marathon pace/effort and hop it will speed up as you build?
    There's a English guy on YouTube vloging his training targeting a 2:55 marathon in Newport his chanel is called FOD runner. I haven't watched any of his videos so I can't really comment on the content. But some here might find it interesting

Watched a couple. The 800s VLG was interesting to see the suffering but the paces were all over the shop and he was slurring his words (as we all would be at the end of 8x800). Good feedback for himself to play back how he was feeling on certain runs or having the video of memorable training runs. That snowy one looked gorgeaous

I'm starting week 6 of the Hansons method. Still early days but now in the rhythm of the program and starting to get a feel for session paces.

I made a mistake of looking at the equivalent P&D schedule last night, with 12x LRs of 16-21 miles (and key ones with up to 14m PMP). Hansons method has just 3x 16 mile LRs! In fact the full series of LRs is 12, 14, 15, 16, 16, 16!

I've read loads around this and through the logs here that used the plan so I'm still using the method. Just going through the same concern everyone else had about the LRs! In saying that the first LR last night was the first sign of the cumulative fatigue approach and it drew and some of the same mental stuff you would have in a longer LR. Another key difference is that the Hansons LR are run faster than P&D to add to the purpose of making them feel like later marathon miles than early marathon miles.

Its an interesting approach for sure and I like the simplicity of the plan.

Well done on persevering! That 10m sounded like a slog and no doubt that the 5m was in your legs. 9 weeks out is realistically 7 weeks of work when you factor in this week to recover (you are doing all the right stuff but the fibres will take a few days) and a taper week. 7 weeks work (including the half marathon)

From a VDOt perspective its encouraging that you have gone from 48ish for 5k to 51 for 5M and 50 for the 10m. Even with the wind on the last 4m in Trim though I'd be concerned about the lack of strength endurance.

With 7 weeks work left are you training to the sub 3 paces or have you established marathon pace/effort and hop it will speed up as you build?

Cheers! I believe the conditions slowed my time yesterday by how much i dont know however i know i was running at my limit. 180th last year would have had me in at 1.06.23 with a similar sized field.
    Today i am contemplating skipping Carlingford Half and just training right through. Am on the fence ...9 weeks training sounds better than 7 weeks
    Re my paces i am taking them down by about 3 secs per week for MP , and proportionally for intervals. So hoping will hit the numbers by marathon day.

Cheers! I believe the conditions slowed my time yesterday by how much i dont know however i know i was running at my limit. 180th last year would have had me in at 1.06.23 with a similar sized field.
    Today i am contemplating skipping Carlingford Half and just training right through. Am on the fence ...9 weeks training sounds better than 7 weeks
    Re my paces i am taking them down by about 3 secs per week for MP , and proportionally for intervals. So hoping will hit the numbers by marathon day.

Have you entered Carlingford? though not a great idea to race it and smash yourself to get the best time, not great to throw money away either. You could do it all of part of it at PMP? Saying that though its pretty hard to be disciplined and run within yourself in a race! I guess its a question of what you want more, a marathon PB or a half marathon pb?

• Advertisement

Have you entered Carlingford? though not a great idea to race it and smash yourself to get the best time, not great to throw money away either. You could do it all of part of it at PMP? Saying that though its pretty hard to be disciplined and run within yourself in a race! I guess its a question of what you want more, a marathon PB or a half marathon pb?

Yes have entered. Am going to see how training goes over the next few weeks before i decide. Am over in London with work the week of Carlingford so a hard run on the Sat might feed in with the training
    Went for a very sore 6 miles crawl yesterday and did 8 miles easy this morning and felt better. Where is best to look at the Hansens method?

Also whats one thoughts on the below? Stephen Scullion shared it on Twitter yesterday
    http://www.sweatelite.co/training-sub-205-marathon/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Yes have entered. Am going to see how training goes over the next few weeks before i decide. Am over in London with work the week of Carlingford so a hard run on the Sat might feed in with the training
    Went for a very sore 6 miles crawl yesterday and did 8 miles easy this morning and felt better. Where is best to look at the Hansens method?

Also whats one thoughts on the below? Stephen Scullion shared it on Twitter yesterday
    http://www.sweatelite.co/training-sub-205-marathon/
    Even to apply that training to a sub 3 target. Not to many people could do that kind of training. They might have aerobic base but there body would break down quickly and pick up injuries.

Even to apply that training to a sub 3 target. Not to many people could do that kind of training. They might have aerobic base but there body would break down quickly and pick up injuries.

I totally agree. id say if i tried 25 x 400 id get injured :D
    Got my metabolic age test the other day. Id be suspect about it since my feet did not fit on the scales. According to it my metabolic age is 29 ..down from 44
    ..body fat is 11.2% ,visceral fat 4.3%.
    I might try it again in 6 weeks to see if there is any change.
    Run wise feel am well recovered after Trim . I did 17.5 miles Sat morning which was broken down in 8 miles easy, 6 miles at MP and 3.5 easy. I found it difficult to run my current marathon pace of 7.05 per mile. Dont know what it is but if i run 8 miles at 8 min a mile then go into 6 miles at 7.05....i find it hard for the body to respond and accelerate into the pace. The HR wont increase
    Similar session this Sat . will see how it goes and if it was a fatigue thing.
    Today went better.... did 9 miles at lunch,,,,,2 wu. then 4 x 1
    coming in at 6.27,6.25,6.25,6.27...then 4x 400 coming in at 1.30,1.28,1.28,1.31 then cool down.
    8 weeks out yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

8 weeks out yesterday :D

Is Boston in 9 weeks rather than 8? :eek:

Is Boston in 9 weeks rather than 8? :eek:

Thanks your right .... 9 To go ... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

9 weeks? Think I've ramped up too quickly.

Looking for a 15-20 min core work session to do at home in the evenings twice a week . Anyone got any recommendations? Tks

Looking for a 15-20 min core work session to do at home in the evenings twice a week . Anyone got any recommendations? Tks

Yoga with Adrienne

Yer wan above or this guy https://youtu.be/sM9WOGXNcyY

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BlacknWhite86

Looking at signing up for a Spring Marathon, both Belfast and Limerick are on the same weekend on 5th May. I have only run the DCM previously, thankfully breaking the 3 hr mark in 2018! Anyone recommend which may be the best option? I read that the route is new in Belfast so that could be positive or negative! Cheers

• Advertisement

Did limerick last year and thought it was a great race. Last 5 miles are pretty tough with some dodgy hills but that just adds to the challenge

I'm going to do Belfast. The new route is a massive improvement. I've done the Belfast half and it's more like it. It's a fast route. Ive done the old full and it was a punishment. Few guys I know who are gunning for times are doing it. Didn't sign up just yet but will do this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

don't suppose anyone happens to have the P&D 55-70 plan in excel format that they could mail me.? (just being lazy/cheap with regards to going to buy the book)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    don't suppose anyone happens to have the P&D 55-70 plan in excel format that they could mail me.? (just being lazy/cheap with regards to going to buy the book)!!

Have the book as a pdf if that's any use? The plan is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Have the book as a pdf if that's any use? The plan is in it.

dropped you a pm there Bahanaman. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    dropped you a pm there Bahanaman. thanks

Think I've got that to you!

Half way through the Hansons Plan

Just 3 "Long" Runs registered, 14, 14 and 15 miles. However the paces were 7:36, 7:10 and 7:10 respectively. Just 3x 16 mile LRs left in the second half. I've rarely gone to 20+ milers in marathon training but I like to hit 2hrs to 2:10. 16 miles at the Hansons pace wont even hit 2hrs!

I'm a little ahead of the prescribed mileage but that's just mainly bits of miles at the end of most runs or a slightly longer warm up for sessions.

So far the speed and tempo work has been tough but manageable. Tomorrow is the last speed session 3x1,600m and there is no LR this weekend. The legs are tired so I'll approach the speed session with caution. I've often felt like that the day before the speed intervals session but this week the legs feel more like DOMs than just fatigue.

How did folk find the cumulative fatigue element?
    How was the transition from speed to strength?
    Did anyone stick religiously to "just" 3x 16 LRs?

How are the other current sub3 hopefuls getting on? Bryangiggsy?

Going good cheers shotgun . Decided to skip the half marathon at weekend . Did a 17.5 mile LR instead with 11 mile at MP split 6 miles and 5 miles with 5 min recovery in between . For the 6 mile I averaged 703 per mile avg hr 155, for the 5 mile I averaged 706 per mile avg hr 156 .
    Did 5x 1 mile on Tuesday splits were 613, 617,615,618,612 . Felt good
    6 weeks to go today
    Will keep chipping away

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Half way through the Hansons Plan

Just 3 "Long" Runs registered, 14, 14 and 15 miles. However the paces were 7:36, 7:10 and 7:10 respectively. Just 3x 16 mile LRs left in the second half. I've rarely gone to 20+ milers in marathon training but I like to hit 2hrs to 2:10. 16 miles at the Hansons pace wont even hit 2hrs!

I'm a little ahead of the prescribed mileage but that's just mainly bits of miles at the end of most runs or a slightly longer warm up for sessions.

So far the speed and tempo work has been tough but manageable. Tomorrow is the last speed session 3x1,600m and there is no LR this weekend. The legs are tired so I'll approach the speed session with caution. I've often felt like that the day before the speed intervals session but this week the legs feel more like DOMs than just fatigue.

How did folk find the cumulative fatigue element?
    How was the transition from speed to strength?
    Did anyone stick religiously to "just" 3x 16 LRs?

I found the cumulative fatigue ok as long as I stuck to easy and recovery run paces on the non-"sos" days. By the end of the plan, I was near the limit but not over it. The taper was short and I didn't feel as tapered in the final days coming up to my race compared to other plans, but I was ready when I toed the line.

The transition from speed to strength was a breath of fresh air for me. It is like a step back from the edge. The strength workouts were my favourite of the plan. It is a comfortable pace after the slog of the MP tempos and speedwork. These workouts gave me good confidence.

I didn't stick religiously to the 16 mile long run. I think I did a 16, 17 and 18. With a couple of these long runs, I did a parkrun at the end, increasing effort towards MP, this was a huge psychological boost for me.

The important days are the easy/recovery days. The days I struggled on SOS workouts I could pinpoint an easy day where I probably went too hard because I felt good which adversely affected the workout.

• Advertisement

The transition from speed to strength was a breath of fresh air for me. It is like a step back from the edge. The strength workouts were my favourite of the plan. It is a comfortable pace after the slog of the MP tempos and speedwork. These workouts gave me good confidence..

Great thanks for the feedback. I'm right at this point. Looking back over the last week load and it was heavy and all just a little too pacey. The LR brought the limit to overreaching close and I'm feeling it. Glad to be over the speed section though and looking forward to the strength sessions. I found the recovery getting a little longer each week but I was also getting fitter and stronger so handling it.

I plan to be strict on easy this week. Hansons have 2 easy paces of which the latter is more steady. I've been sticking to the slower of the 2 after SOS session, with the one exception of the day after the 6x800s last week and I can identify that "easy" run as the catalyst for peering over the edge today!

Advertisement