Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Der Spiegel published the story, they are amongst Europe's most highly regarded investigative journalism titles.

By the way, it occurs to me I was wrong about the 5,000 kms for the Beckett, it has to come back too, so make it 10.

Show evidence !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Savage93 wrote: »
    Show evidence !!!!!

What that the beckett has to come back?? .... Well, unless it's being left there permanently....
    Seems a bit ott...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Savage93 wrote: »
    Show evidence !!!!!

Not being either a journalist with Der Spiegel or the travel agent of the relief crew, I have nothing to declare expect my genius.

And also to tell you to feel free to google it thyself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Just checked position of Beckett. Still moored close by Manhattan Bridge in New York. Might get me son who lives close by there to go down and have a butcher's at her. Might be that they are having a few "open days" for the public

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭sparky42

She's going to have an Open Day on Sunday

Cheers bud!

I see that exercise Joint Warrier is kicking off in the next couple of days offshore Scotland with 19 nations participating. Surprised our boys havent sent one of the P60's along to do a bit of live firing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,516 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I see that exercise Joint Warrier is kicking off in the next couple of days offshore Scotland with 19 nations participating. Surprised our boys havent sent one of the P60's along to do a bit of live firing etc.

would it be usual for us to send ships to partake in NATO exercises?

Other non NATO nations taking part.

Johnny your proposal would give a lot of politicians an absolute dose of the vapours.

• Advertisement

would it be usual for us to send ships to partake in NATO exercises?

We've been invited before but Finance or Defence always makes sure to kill it off.

Shame on them! Good opportunity for our lads to fly the flag and do some useful training with other navies.

Shame on them! Good opportunity for our lads to fly the flag and do some useful training with other navies.
    No different than any other time, thing we had a chance to send a couple of 139's to some EU exercises a few years ago but that got killed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Can you imagine PBP Brid Smith's reaction to it, spending money on it instead of her constitunts.:mad:

roundymac wrote: »
    Can you imagine PBP Brid Smith's reaction to it, spending money on it instead of her constitunts.:mad:

Same fecking problem as ever for the DF...
    I mean just wait until the price tag for the Eithne Replacement comes up... "why do we need a new ship, just keep using Eithne, it's so much cheaper!"

I truly wish this country could have a grown up discussion about Defence, particularly with the relationship with the UK going into the crapper.

I see Beckett's visit to Boston is going well with about 2500 people already having done tours and the Boston Mayor declaring it "LE Samuel Beckett Day"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Any sign of the ships going back to sea or will they be tied up for the rest of the year?

roadmaster wrote: »
    Any sign of the ships going back to sea or will they be tied up for the rest of the year?

Given an article in the Examiner was talking about concerns that more issues will happen if there's anymore engineering losses suggests no they aren't going back to sea this year.

Eithne's just entered dry dock at Rushbrooke, one of the P50s is nearlt ready to be handed back to the Navy.

• Advertisement

Eithne's just entered dry dock at Rushbrooke, one of the P50s is nearlt ready to be handed back to the Navy.
    Thought the P50 wasn't due back till closer to Christmas?

Eh, Xmas is'nt that far away.

Eh, Xmas is'nt that far away.

Maybe Santa Claus might put a nice new frigate in the NS Christmas Stocking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Maybe Santa Claus might put a nice new frigate in the NS Christmas Stocking?

They dont have the people to crew it.

Its not the Royal Navy.

mikeym wrote: »
    They dont have the people to crew it.

Its not the Royal Navy.

A reminder that even the RN still has manpower issues themselves, though the Type 45 issues kind of hides that.

Between the Drydocking and the parking up of Eithne when she goes back to sea will she be fit to stay longer than expected with the navy?

• Advertisement

It will be unlikely she'll ever go back to sea IMO.:(

Good chance you are right, on the other hand we're still what 4-5 years from the EPV, though given the shortfall still happening as I said you're most likely right.

If the Libyans hear she is parked up they will get her back to Sea! Has that Libyan warlord actually used Aisling in combat yet? I taught seen on CNN something about a Libyan ship bombing a village?

If the Libyans hear she is parked up they will get her back to Sea! Has that Libyan warlord actually used Aisling in combat yet? I taught seen on CNN something about a Libyan ship bombing a village?

Don't know about that, but if she does end up in some other navy how ****ing annoying is it going to be if they restore her helo capabilities?

sparky42 wrote: »
    Don't know about that, but if she does end up in some other navy how ****ing annoying is it going to be if they restore her helo capabilities?

Send it up to Belfast and weld in another 10 to 20 metre section into the hull and do a complete refit..new weapons etc. (Missiles). Sort out the helideck and convert it into a mini frigate on the cheap. More powerful engines and whatever is needed. Its been done before with older ships. That will be cheaper option than proposed replacement and faster as well. Time wise.

• Advertisement

An using Dauphins!

Send it up to Belfast and weld in another 10 to 20 metre section into the hull and do a complete refit..new weapons etc. (Missiles). Sort out the helideck and convert it into a mini frigate on the cheap. More powerful engines and whatever is needed. Its been done before with older ships. That will be cheaper option than proposed replacement and faster as well. Time wise.

It's also insane and pointless.

An using Dauphins!

Yep... That will hurt if we see it.

It's also insane and pointless.

Ya might be right there Sparky...just tryin to think outside the box. Might be better to convert it into a museum ship and berth it next to Spike Island?
    Another possible way forward....I notice that the Italian Navy is gradually selling off and replacing some 30 year old frigates. They look pretty tasty; rather similar imo to the Arleigh Burke class. Probably get a reasonable deal on one and throw a 100 mill on a pukka refit. One of them would make a great flagship and they're probably in pretty good nick given they've spent a fair bit of their life cruisin around the pleasant waters of the Mediterranean. Anyway....It looks like the pay claim has been put to bed finally.Its the Maestrale class that are up for sale...bloody impressive and versatile ship. Armed to the teeth with missiles and a decent sized suite of guns as well as torpedoes. Just the ticket for keeping on top of things around the Irish territorial waters and beyond. And just to put the icing on the cake....they have a helideck into the bargain!

Johnny my man, your hilarious, you have quite some plans for us controlling the north atlantic :D

Johnny my man, your hilarious, you have quite some plans for us controlling the north atlantic :D

And that's just for starters!

And that's just for starters!
    If 30 year old ships is just the start I'm concerned you're going to suggest building Battleships next.

Build them? Why? Isn't HMS Belfast tied up at London bridge for years.

Throw the Brits a few quid and haul her back to Cork. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,516 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If 30 year old ships is just the start I'm concerned you're going to suggest building Battleships next.
    Build them? Why? Isn't HMS Belfast tied up at London bridge for years.

Throw the Brits a few quid and haul her back to Cork. :pac:

we've gone from OPVs to frigates to destroyers to cruisers to battleships. Feck it, we should buy an aircraft carrier. The russians probably have one going spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

They should build AI units to operate the ships because they have a huge problem getting humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

we've gone from OPVs to frigates to destroyers to cruisers to battleships. Feck it, we should buy an aircraft carrier. The russians probably have one going spare.

You forgot a few Ballistic nuclear submarines!!

You forgot a few Ballistic nuclear submarines!!

I was leavin that one on the bsck burner for now. Leo. Had me eye om s couple of them very capable German arrack subs. But its not first priority just now.

Yes and No, they do but it might still have a hole in it after the sank the drydock it was in at the time. Also it needs a tug to follow it around all the time.

That being said back in the day on P.ie I did see someone suggesting we buy the 2 Mistrals that were for Russia...

Nice bit of kit that mistral. Maybe a bit overkill in terms of the air wing it can accomodate.

I see the RN is phasing out the type 23 frigates gradually with the first one coming on the market in 2023. Looks like a very capable multirole ship on foot of extra stuff added over the years. I reckon that would be a good replacement for the Eithne and probably get a good deal on it. The Chilean navy bought 3 of them second hand a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I see the RN is phasing out the type 23 frigates gradually with the first one coming on the market in 2023. Looks like a very capable multirole ship on foot of extra stuff added over the years. I reckon that would be a good replacement for the Eithne and probably get a good deal on it. The Chilean navy bought 3 of them second hand a few years back.

I think you will need a bigger wallet. The running costs for one of those would be similar to the rest of fleet put together.

I think you will need a bigger wallet. The running costs for one of those would be similar to the rest of fleet put together.

Not only that, they are probably older than the ship being replaced.

By the time the 23's are decommissioned they will be utterly shagged to death. They were meant to have been replaced over a decade ago with a design life of less than 20 years.

Not only that, they are probably older than the ship being replaced.

Nah the 23's are much younger than the Eithne, on the otherhand as I just said the RN built them with only a 20 year lifespan, they were meant to have already been replaced by now.

• Advertisement

Nah the 23's are much younger than the Eithne, on the otherhand as I just said the RN built them with only a 20 year lifespan, they were meant to have already been replaced by now.

Not by much id say.

Advertisement