Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

I thought there coverage of uk rugby was quite good

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Best way to think about them is as a direct replacement for ESPN, they will fulfil the same role as it has in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Except they will probably charge on UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

yes these rights are worth a hell of a lot more than what espn were paying. Unless UPC fork out at least 5 to 10euro per customer or more to have it on their top pack, it will probably retail at anything from 15euro to 25 euro on upc.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

BT will be operating one ESPN branded channel which will probably be similar to the one we have now that shows the BPL rights. Id say it will be on sky but I wonder will it be included free in the sports package like it is now or will it be like setanta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

yes these rights are worth a hell of a lot more than what espn were paying. Unless UPC fork out at least 5 to 10euro per customer or more to have it on their top pack, it will probably retail at anything from 15euro to 25 euro on upc.

If viewing via a dish, your SS sub is now €62 pm. Throw in the BT option and you're looking at €77-87 pm for all the footie if thats what BT are going to charge.

Plus thats not including the Setanta sub if the Saturday 3pm games continue to be available next season. Getting pricier all the time to watch a bit of live football.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Off topic but it would be alot better if games were PPV then we would only have to buy what we wanna watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

BT will be operating one ESPN branded channel which will probably be similar to the one we have now that shows the BPL rights. Id say it will be on sky but I wonder will it be included free in the sports package like it is now or will it be like setanta.

Is the plan for them to have 2 BT channels and one ESPN one? If so I reckon they'll keep the ESPN one for their American stuff and move all the football, rugby etc that was on ESPN UK to their BT channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If viewing via a dish, your SS sub is now €62 pm. Throw in the BT option and you're looking at €77-87 pm for all the footie if thats what BT are going to charge.

Plus thats not including the Setanta sub if the Saturday 3pm games continue to be available next season. Getting pricier all the time to watch a bit of live football.

ESPn was free in ireland as part of the sports sub last few years, i doubt that will continue for BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

irishgeo wrote: »
    ESPn was free in ireland as part of the sports sub last few years, i doubt that will continue for BT.

True. As channelsurfer2 says above these rights that BT have are way pricier covering those Saturday lunchtime KO's. There were/are some big matches at this time. Highly unlikely the ESPN scenario will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

€70 next season for sky sports and BT sports subscriptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ftakeith wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ftakeith wrote: »

BT announced their prices did they?

Is the plan for them to have 2 BT channels and one ESPN one? If so I reckon they'll keep the ESPN one for their American stuff and move all the football, rugby etc that was on ESPN UK to their BT channels.

That is indeed the plan. Almost certainly the ESPN channel will likely be essentially ESPN America with some UK programmes thrown on where space demands.
    I thought there coverage of uk rugby was quite good

They did quite well with Premiership Rugby although I hated their counting down clock and the amount of screen space their scorebar used. BT Sport will have exclusive live rights to Premiership Rugby (and purportedly English teams home European games from 2014 but those rights were not Premiership Rugby's to sell and that is another whole can of worms).

As for pricing, well it is all conjecture at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

I have just spoke on the phone to BT Newsroom on 0044 0207 356 5369,
    I wanted to enquire what sort of package will be made available to those of us in Ireland, I was told that no decision has been taken on how the games will be shown here, the person I spoke to said it is not certain that the same package of sports channels will be offered to irish subscribers & that it may well be that the games may be wholesaled to another platform in Ireland.

I asked did this meen that BT sports other sport such as rugby & tennis may not be shown in Ireland & was told that they may not own the rights to show them in Ireland, the only thing they were able to guarentee was that premier league football will be made available to Irish viewers.

He told me that all options remain open & that nothing has been decided although he did point out that BT do not currently operate in Ireland.

energy1942 wrote: »
    he did point out that BT do not currently operate in Ireland.

Really? I obviously imagined that tall building in Grand Canal Dock so, or that trunk network they operate next to CIE railway lines. BT do very much operate in Ireland though they are focussed on the large I/C market and wholesale at present and do not retail to individuals or SMEs.

There's a lot of "may"s there. They are covering themselves and just haven't finalised plans yet, or if they have, the staff in the press office are not privy to these plans. When it comes to it they will not sell the rights to the games they have paid a lot of money for to their arch-competitior. Particularly if as has been reported they are refusing to use Sky for subscriber management.

icdg wrote: »
    Really? I obviously imagined that tall building in Grand Canal Dock so, or that trunk network they operate next to CIE railway lines. BT do very much operate in Ireland though they are focussed on the large I/C market and wholesale at present and do not retail to individuals or SMEs.

There's a lot of "may"s there. They are covering themselves and just haven't finalised plans yet, or if they have, the staff in the press office are not privy to these plans. When it comes to it they will not sell the rights to the games they have paid a lot of money for to their arch-competitior. Particularly if as has been reported they are refusing to use Sky for subscriber management.
    I am just pointing out that my phone coversation with them yesterday left me in alot of doubt that the full BT sports channels package being offered in the UK may not be made available here.

He made it clear to me that BT were still keeping there options open with regard to Ireland & that they could not rule out that the premier league games may be wholesaled to another platform here & he did tell me that Bt do not currently provide internet tv or broadband in Ireland, he also pointed out that he was unaware if BT own the rights to it's other sport (Rugby,Tennis etc) in Ireland or if they could secure these rights for Ireland.

The one thing he was absolutely clear about was that the 38 Premier league games will be available in Ireland.

My own belief is that BT may let us have their full package, but it is possible we may only have ESPN & may recieve them on that, however I do not believe it would make commercial sense for Bt to buy the rights & not show them on their own branded channels.

This may decide whether or not I subscribe for the games.

I am just pointing out that my phone coversation with them yesterday left me in alot of doubt that the full BT sports channels package being offered in the UK may not be made available here.

He made it clear to me that BT were still keeping there options open with regard to Ireland & that they could not rule out that the premier league games may be wholesaled to another platform here & he did tell me that Bt do not currently provide internet tv or broadband in Ireland, he also pointed out that he was unaware if BT own the rights to it's other sport (Rugby,Tennis etc) in Ireland or if they could secure these rights for Ireland.

The one thing he was absolutely clear about was that the 38 Premier league games will be available in Ireland.

My own belief is that BT may let us have their full package, but it is possible we may only have ESPN & may recieve them on that, however I do not believe it would make commercial sense for Bt to buy the rights & not show them on their own branded channels.

This may decide whether or not I subscribe for the games.
    I spoke to the bt sport press office yesterday & was told that no decision had been taken as to whether their new sports channels will be launched in Ireland.

they continue to point out that they do not currently operate tv or broadband in ROI, they told me it is a possibility that the premier league could be wholesaled to another platform in ROI if they do not have the rights to show other sports in ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I spoke to the bt sport press office yesterday & was told that no decision had been taken as to whether their new sports channels will be launched in Ireland.

they continue to point out that they do not currently operate tv or broadband in ROI, they told me it is a possibility that the premier league could be wholesaled to another platform in ROI if they do not have the rights to show other sports in ROI.

I wonder will Setanta amazingly get these rights - would be some coup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Manc-Red wrote: »

I wonder will Setanta amazingly get these rights - would be some coup

They kind of have to now that it looks like Saturday 3pm games are gone for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

The organ grinders are very often the last to know. It is not as if it will add any potential extra hassle for them to deal with Ireland from a call centre in the UK. Of course they will launch here. There is absolutely no way that their TV rights will be sub-contracted.

As far as I am aware the only rights that they will have that are not valid for the ROI is Europa League matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Mail from ESPN

BTSport is going to operate on Channel 417

No indication of how much extra this will cost..:eek:

=================================================================
    If you have ESPN as part of your TV subscription package, your current subscription will end on 31 July 2013. You don't need to do anything now.
    ESPN will continue on television next season (operated by BT) and ESPN will continue to own and operate all our digital properties, including ESPN.co.uk, ESPNcricinfo, ESPNFC and more.
    spacer.gifWhat does this mean for you?BT will continue to broadcast an ESPN-branded channel as part of BT Sport, so you won't miss any great sporting content.
    Next season on BT Sport and ESPN enjoy 38 exclusively live Barclays Premier League matches, Aviva Premiership rugby, FA Cup with Budweiser, UEFA Europa League, German Bundesliga, WTA tennis and more.
    spacer.gif We will keep you informed on developments. You can also find more on the ESPN agreement with BT, by visiting our ESPN FAQs.
    Enjoy the rest of this season.

======================================================

More info here

http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-group-acquires-espns-uk-and-ireland-television-channels-business/?s_intcid=con_intban_BTSport_BTLife_PR250213

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

irishgeo wrote: »

No, ESPN was only part of a pay TV subscription is my understanding. Free means you can get it without a subscription. There are ZERO free channels on Cable or MMDS, all the channels on a Aerial are free and there are many Free channels on many Satellites.

More accurate to say that most people in Ireland got ESPN by subscribing to something else, it was included in the Sky Sports package on Sky and all but the most basic package on UPC.

By way of contrast in the UK, while Virgin Media had a similar deal to UPC, Sky customers had to pay separately for ESPN.

So the big press launch this morning and unfortunately doesn't seem to be much info for Irish prices. Still no deal with Virgin Media in the UK and nothing about UPC in Ireland.

Some titbits of interest though: Grand Prix motorcycle racing, ladies football and tennis have been signed as additional rights deals. Michael Owen to be football co-commentator. Ray Stubbs staying but will now be "chief football reporter". Craig Doyle moving from ITV to present Premiership Rugby (which hopefully will mean he'll be too busy to do any more RTÉ chat shows). Rio Ferdinand and a good chunk of ESPN's on air talent also seem to have moved over. Tim Lovejoy to present a weekend morning show.

http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-sport-announces-a-great-line-up-of-sporting-talent/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

BT Sport channels to be free to BT broadband customers, £15 for Sky(uk price)

When BT first announced that it was bidding for some of the Premier League live football rights, many were unsure how they would be used. Now we know.

BT Sport will be comprised of a suite of channels, with BT Sport 1 and BT Sport 2 joined by the newly acquired ESPN. And, most importantly, all output will be free to BT broadband customers. It will cost £3 per month for the HD services, but that fee will be waived for a year if customers sign up before 1 August.

High definition versions of the channels will also be available to non-BT broadband customers on Sky for £15 per month or £12 per month for just the standard definition broadcasts. There's no word yet on whether Virgin Media will be taking the BT Sport output.

A new app will be launched to bring BT Sport channels to PCs, smartphones and tablet devices, while customers wanting to watch them on a television will require a YouView and BT Vision+ set-top-box. Paid subscribers and Sky subscribers with BT broadband can also use a Sky+ or Sky+HD box.

The TV service will be delivered over broadband, and BT will handle all subscriptions for its sports services, even from Sky customers.

"UK Sports fans have had a rough deal for too long. Many have been priced out of the market but we will change this by giving away BT Sport for free with our broadband. Sports fans are the winners today," said Ian Livingston, BT chief executive.

"BT Sport will complement our world class fibre network. Customers don’t have to take BT Infinity to get BT Sport but we are encouraging them to move onto fibre broadband so they can enjoy the best of both worlds."

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/120927-bt-sport-channels-to-be-free-to-bt-broadband-customers-15-for-sky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

will Setanta have live 3pm games next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

MD1990 wrote: »
    will Setanta have live 3pm games next season?

Yes

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

icdg wrote: »

BT's answer to Soccer AM.. with the original SoccerAM presenter? He currently hosts a show on C4 Sunday mornings which isn't great (worse than SFTW that they did on BBC)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Frank Gallagher pissed

**** this, I'll be watching the romanian stream down the jockey anyway lol

Advertisement