Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No presents at kids birthday.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

In my kids school, in the parents whatsapp group it was agreed by most parents that a fiver in a card would suffice. Some people will still give gifts, tbh I think they are mainly re-gifts of presents they didn't want, which I understand to a certain degree too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have started to get a voucher and a tshirt/dress and a small thing like a lego or little art set or something for them....like Melissa and Doug paint your own wooden magnets, or big pavement chalk and bubbles or that kind of thing...instead of plastic stuff for the birthday presents.10eur Smyths voucher, an 8eur lego and a toy story tshirt from Penneys was what I gave to a little boy recently and both he and his mum were delighted.(probably for different reasons!!).My own little one got a lot of vouchers for her fifth birthday recently for a local toy shop which is great, as I can dole them out over the year and they sell loads of books, crafty things and wooden toys which I am much happier for her to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

No need to buy teachers a present, we don't expect it. Write a sincere thank you note , if you feel it's warranted.

We also contribute a €5 per child for teachers' present. Large class means she gets a nice voucher for a nearby spa instead of 26 scented candles and. Bottles of blue nun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No need to buy teachers a present, we don't expect it. Write a sincere thank you note , if you feel it's warranted.

We also contribute a €5 per child for teachers' present. Large class means she gets a nice voucher for a nearby spa instead of 26 scented candles and. Bottles of blue nun
    Same in our school. One for all voucher which everyone contributed to and a card. Cuts out all the crap like teacher mugs and regifted bubble bath!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We just check with the parent in a text what the child is into.

I'd feel weird turning up with nothing but a voucher or a cash gift is normally what's given around here. Usually a tenner in a card.

Cutting down on plastic is currently very topical so you could say that you are trying as a household to cut down on plastics etc and the children are on board so please do not buy them presents, just a card would be lovely. Most people would take that cue to stick a few quid in a card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So, we had the party. Took some advice here and included a note in the invitation that we would donate to a local ronald mcdonald house. We called it a "toonie party" ( we live in canada and a 2 dollar coin is a toonie).
    So all the parents show up with no presents, just cards...and i think hey it worked! Then we open the cards and everyone stuck a ten or twenty in! So, the boys will be donating $226 tomorrow! Thanks for all the tips folks

Advertisement