Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No presents at kids birthday.

Options
  • 13-09-2019 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

I have twins just turned 9 and we are having a party for them at a local community centre. They want to invite the whole class so possibly 25 kids. I dont want 50 toys coming home or making people buy two presents. Whats a good way to put that in the invite without coming across as a dick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Donation box for local charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

We want your Presence not your Presents. I heard it before and really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

In our school its 10 euros or whatever you can afford in a card

• Registered Users Posts: 12,257 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

'no gift required, kids are already spoiled brats' :D

Or just accept the toys and gift them to a charity. Gotta be a place that would gladly take brand new toys, especially with Christmas three months away.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭NTC

At my children's school, the parents put down 'no present", and that is taken to mean a €5 instead of the present.

I really like to donation box idea, at 9 they would understand the good of something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

"Your presence is all the fun A & B want..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You won't seem like a dick. People will like it. Kids have way too much now and you end up spending a fortune on parties through the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

5 Euro party, that seems to be the done thing here.

Zenify wrote: »
    We want your Presence not your Presents. I heard it before and really liked it.

I dunno. I keep picturing this.

tumblr_m5kjc59XTG1r0ufaco2_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

“Cash only no gifts” on the invitation. Maybe stick on an iban number for ease of transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

A parent did it last year - A would prefer money in a card as they have their eyes on something in particular.

I appreciated it as it removed the hassle.

Any parents who complain just cut their kid next year - easy!

Tomw86 wrote: »
    A parent did it last year - A would prefer money in a card as they have their eyes on something in particular.

I'm not sure, kids talk these days and violence seems abit of an overreaction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

My son was at a party recently - brother and sister. When we RSVPed there was simply a text message back saying

"That's great, Xxxx will be delighted Yyyy can make it. We've agreed with the kids that there would be no presents. The party is their present".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

€10 Entry Fee

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No presents

Great party alright

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

‘No presents. Bring a bottle and a bird.’

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

_Brian wrote: »
    “Cash only no gifts” on the invitation. Maybe stick on an iban number for ease of transfer.

Luddite. Heya my phone number for Revolut transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod Note Moved from After Hours to Parenting please follow local guidelines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

OP, don’t do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In our school (a Gaelscoil) pretty much everyone does “Carta Cúig” - a card with a fiver in it. It’s just written on the invite. Easy to afford, and better in every way than the token presents you’d get otherwise.

You could say no presents on the invite, but a lot of people won’t heed it because they’ll feel bad for the kid. Kids really like getting a stack of fivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

In our school (a Gaelscoil) pretty much everyone does “Carta Cúig” - a card with a fiver in it. It’s just written on the invite. Easy to afford, and better in every way than the token presents you’d get otherwise.

You could say no presents on the invite, but a lot of people won’t heed it because they’ll feel bad for the kid. Kids really like getting a stack of fivers.

no matter how mainstream it becomes or is trying to become, it's still rude to put something like that on an invite. the whole idea is come to a party. if you want to bring a gift, bring one.

asking people for a fiver, is asking for a present. no matter how you dress it up. and thats rude

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Milly33

So not looking forward to this time coming around, between this and the gifts for teachers! Just put on the invite no presents at all end, it really annoys me how people do not respect your choice with stuff like this. You end up with a pile of crap you do not want

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We do the fiver in a card thing in our school. A couple of parents complain every time the group invites go out but 90% appreciate not having to buy crap. We'd spend more than a fiver getting anything for their buddies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you ask for "no presents" people get confused and some buy because they feel they should and then the others feel badly. The €5 card is good if you can get all the other parents on board, you can always donate it to a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I really like the fiver in a card Idea. Then a day out at Smyths and they can pick what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Yep "fiver fever" is what happens here. You would feel bad turning up to a party with nothing ..and a fiver wont break the bank ..

I really like the fiver in a card Idea. Then a day out at Smyths and they can pick what they want.
    Yeah I'm converted . At first I was all "how very dare you ask for cash" but now I appreciate not having to think of anything for a child I don't know. Everyone in the class tends to be invited to joint parties in our school and the fiver thing reduces the hassle immensely.

Yeah I'm converted . At first I was all "how very dare you ask for cash" but now I appreciate not having to think of anything for a child I don't know. Everyone in the class tends to be invited to joint parties in our school and the fiver thing reduces the hassle immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭Treppen

The Cobra Kai dojo of parenting.

I like it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Milly33 wrote: »
    So not looking forward to this time coming around, between this and the gifts for teachers!
    No need to buy teachers a present, we don't expect it. Write a sincere thank you note , if you feel it's warranted.

Advertisement