Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election and Government Formation Megathread (see post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

As for potential gains, you're looking at Aodhan O'Riordain (Dublin Bay North), Ged Nash (Louth) and Kevin Humphries (Dublin Bay South). The first two have a great chance, Humphries is probably an underdog.

After that Mark Wall in Kildare South and maybe Cork North Central are the only two hopes I can see.

It looks grim enough for them and they'll be doing well just to stand still.

Joe Costello has a bit of a chance in Dublin Central given it's become a 4 seater and incumbent Maureen O'Sullivan isn't running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I wonder what compromises would need to be made to get the Healy-Raes and the Greens in the same coalition. Maybe cycle lanes alongside every boreen in Kerry?

Public transport to collect and bring home every drunk in North Kerry.

The constituency is expanding to four seats.

Mary Lou McDonald and Paschal Donoghue will take two and I'd fancy Gary Gannon to get seat 3. That leaves seat 4 between Fianna Fail and Christy Burke who has been running for decades without ever being elected to the Dail.

I think Mary Fitzpatrick gets seat #3.

Neasa Hourigan of the greens likely to be a contender for seat 4 also - she outpolled Gannon in Dublin City Council elections last year and was elected on the 1st count. Gannon only elected on count 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Amirani wrote: »
    I think Mary Fitzpatrick gets seat #3.

Neasa Hourigan of the greens likely to be a contender for seat 4 also - she outpolled Gannon in Dublin City Council elections last year and was elected on the 1st count. Gannon only elected on count 9.

In fairness to Gannon, he moved Dublin City Council ward from North Inner City to Cabra-Glasnevin so lost his base who will be able to vote for him in the GE so should not be written off.

LordBasil wrote: »
    In fairness to Gannon, he moved Dublin City Council ward from North Inner City to Cabra-Glasnevin so lost his base who will be able to vote for him in the GE so should not be written off.

Yep, very valid point there to be fair. I'm definitely not writing him off. I'd have him as most likely to get seat #4 right now, but Hourigan would have a chance at it if there's a lot of move towards the Greens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's in those urban constituencies you have to watch for signs of a, 'Green train'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

7 declared candidates in Roscommon so far: 3 male - 4 female.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

When is the closing date for candidates?

Recently moved to that Dublin central constituency, cant say I know any candidates here apart from Pascal and Mary Lou. Re the green train in urban areas would you think that it would be more prominent in more middle/well off urban areas than this one? I mean theres plenty well off professionals in the IFSC area but so many foreign or not from Dublin/will not vote here. The locals may be a different type of urban demographic than the greens would typically target?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

LordBasil wrote: »

Gannon also got a quite decent vote in the MEP elections, if I recall too didn’t he move local constituency to try get another SD candidate in? Anyway, think he’s a good chance, but probably for a 4th seat. Costello/Gannon/Fitzpatrick take 2 of 3 seats there imo.

In terms of the Soc Dems, Cian O’Callaghan should poll well in Dublin bay north. Prob won’t get elected but if he can come before the Green candidate he could grab a few transfers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's a few threads on the go, but let's use this as a catch-all general thread for all things election.

We can kick it off with a poll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

I think the left wing Independent Seamus Healy is running again? He's been a TD for donkey's years but must be quite old at this stage. His vote seems very solid and he's South Tipp which I think is a benefit to him.

Kelly only got in very narrowly last time, Healy a bit more comfortably.

Lowry, McGrath and Cahill (FF) are nailed on there you'd think with the remaining two in play between Healy, Kelly, FG and FF2.

I'd be leaning towards FF2 (Sandra Farrell) having enough for one of those seats and she is North Tipp which is bad for Kelly, as he's North Tipp as well.

Lowry takes a huge chunk of the FG vote like Naughten does in Roscommon, so that's how FG didn't get a seat last time. They could miss out again.

I'd be going with Lowry (IND), McGrath (IND), Cahill (FF), Healy (left IND), Farrell (FF), in that order.

If Labour are 5/6 for under 8.5 seats I'd say that's an absolute banker.
    Cant see this,
    Kelly (whom I dont like) will do well, brother puting money into tipp hurling team, 15m into st conlons nursing home, cervical cancer madness etc.
    Fg have two unknowns and both from south tipp - madness. should have ran coonan, votes dont cross north to south or visa versa very well,with smith not standing no one in Roscrea/ Templemore area think coonan could have taken a seat.
    3 home and hosed- lowry, mcgrath and kelly ( probably cahil as well) leaving healy, & FG for last seat, I cant see farrell in the shakeup at all.

The Over/Under on FF seats has crept up to 54.5. I'd have it at 58.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I am on a stag in Germany on election day, is there anyway of voting abroad through mail/online etc ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I am on a stag in Germany on election day, is there anyway of voting abroad through mail/online etc ???

In a word, no. Basically the only way you can vote abroad is if you're on state business. Checked this out before for my parents, there's no holiday exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭bren2001

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Gannon also got a quite decent vote in the MEP elections, if I recall too didn’t he move local constituency to try get another SD candidate in? Anyway, think he’s a good chance, but probably for a 4th seat. Costello/Gannon/Fitzpatrick take 2 of 3 seats there imo.

In terms of the Soc Dems, Cian O’Callaghan should poll well in Dublin bay north. Prob won’t get elected but if he can come before the Green candidate he could grab a few transfers.

I think Cian is an interesting one. His "base" is Bayside/Sutton/Howth area but got some decent returns in Drumcondra as well. The very interesting thing for him is where will Avril Powers votes go. She had quite a similar base (albeit her distribution is a little flatter than other candidates).

The question is, who's seat will he get? Bruton and Haughey, are effectively elected already. Mitchell is pretty much a certainty. That leaves 2 seats (McGraths and Broughans). I think Aodhan will take the 4th seat through a combination of Finian not standing and his votes going Bruton/Haughey/Aodhan coupled with some people who will return and vote Labour. He's been very active over St Annes and a few other bits.

Can Cian take Tommys seat? I don't think so. I don't think anybody can. Nobody has challenged Broughan in Donaghmeade/Killbarrick. I think Cian will come 7th after John Lyons.

EDIT: The GP are running David Healy. He has a decent chance as well. Hard to know how big a green wave exists in DBN. It'll be interesting to see where his votes come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

In Wexford a dozen or so candidates announced so far and Howlin will be getting the number one vote from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wouldn't be familiar with the constituency, but the trick for any Green is staying up from the bottom in the first preferences and letting transfers take you over the line.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Paddy Holohan is in trouble again:
    In the same podcast, Mr Holohan also suggested that "loads" of underage girls were having sex with men and then blackmailing them for sums of money up to €10,000.

Time to cut him lose I'd say, or at the very least keep him quiet until the election is over. He seems like an utter liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

bren2001 wrote: »
    I think Cian is an interesting one. His "base" is Bayside/Sutton/Howth area but got some decent returns in Drumcondra as well. The very interesting thing for him is where will Avril Powers votes go. She had quite a similar base (albeit her distribution is a little flatter than other candidates).

The question is, who's seat will he get? Bruton and Haughey, are effectively elected already. Mitchell is pretty much a certainty. That leaves 2 seats (McGraths and Broughans). I think Aodhan will take the 4th seat through a combination of Finian not standing and his votes going Bruton/Haughey/Aodhan coupled with some people who will return and vote Labour. He's been very active over St Annes and a few other bits.

Can Cian take Tommys seat? I don't think so. I don't think anybody can. Nobody has challenged Broughan in Donaghmeade/Killbarrick. I think Cian will come 7th after John Lyons.

EDIT: The GP are running David Healy. He has a decent chance as well. Hard to know how big a green wave exists in DBN. It'll be interesting to see where his votes come from.

I think Catherine Noone will scrape the last seat it. Would be a huge victory for FG to gain two seats in DBN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭bren2001

I think Catherine Noone will scrape the last seat it. Would be a huge victory for FG to gain two seats in DBN

Naoise never threatened, Stephaine never threatened. Bruton will do well but I can't see a second seat for them there. Demographics don't suit two FG TDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Where do I find list of candidates by constituency?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Can anyone enlighten me on the gender quota for political parties in Ireland, and how it has or is (if at all) currently affecting parties?

Nominations don't close until January 22nd, so a full list won't be available till then. Most of the main parties have a list of candidates on their websites already though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Where do I find list of candidates by constituency?

This has been posted a few times. It'll give you a general idea, otherwise the LA website once the nomination dates passes, which is next Wednesday 22nd January.

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/category/candidates-general-election-2020/

Paddy Holohan is in trouble again:

Time to cut him lose I'd say, or at the very least keep him quiet until the election is over. He seems like an utter liability.

Disciplinary action is underway, as per Mary-Lou.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Kangaroo Court more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

McLoughlin wrote: »
    In Wexford a dozen or so candidates announced so far and Howlin will be getting the number one vote from me.

Expect Brendan to get back no problem, but mark me folks, Verona Murphy is going to get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

bren2001 wrote: »

David Healy was a TD before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

I think some posters misunderstand the meaning of the word "certainty" as regards elections.

I've seen Alan Kelly in Tipp and Denise Mitchell in Dublin Bay North mentioned as "certainties" in the last couple of pages.

Both may well get in, the odds say they probably will, but certainties they are most certainly not.

I wouldn't even have Richard Bruton down as a certainty in Dublin Bay North given that his running mate is high profile and being pushed heavily by the party - though I do think it's very likely he'll get in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Water John wrote: »
    Wouldn't be familiar with the constituency, but the trick for any Green is staying up from the bottom in the first preferences and letting transfers take you over the line.
    That's it exactly. Catherine Martin in Dublin Rathdown in 2016 was a classic example of this. She got huge transfers from everywhere.

That's why I think the Greens could actually overperform seat expectations.

Advertisement