Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election and Government Formation Megathread (see post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

According to a chronicler of the Irish right, the various groupings are co-ordinating their campaigns as follows:

https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1218234401408024577

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Over past few days I’ve been listening to Duffy, Darcy etc, and have most certainly heard a couple of things that would give the impression of distinct bias against FG. Now I am no supporter of FG myself and put them down at the bottom of my vote. If one takes a look at the Liveline and Darcy threads there’s commentary at the points where bias has been blatant. A rerun through the radio shows in the Player will leave one in little doubt, although today Joe Duffy was covering his tracks as there most probably were complaints sent into RTÉ. I don’t intend this thread to be a rant against or for any political parties, rather a reflection of opinions on how the broadcaster is managing electoral neutrality.

Would you prefer them to waste time putting lipstick on a pig?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I think Joe duffy got a slap on the wrist and was told to stay neutral.
    The difference of today's show compared to Wednesday and Thursday is night and day.
    He doesn't want any complaints, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

According to a chronicler of the Irish right, the various groupings are co-ordinating their campaigns as follows:

https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1218234401408024577

A strategy known as save-the-deposit-for-Christ’s-sake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

This is going to be a real problem for the parties when it increases to 40% for all elections after 2022.

I was at one of the appeals of the FF candidate bringing the constitutional challenge and I think there's a fair chance he'll succeed in the supreme Court but still more likely he won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they have gender neutral candidates what happens then?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

robman60 wrote: »
    This is going to be a real problem for the parties when it increases to 40% for all elections after 2022.

I was at one of the appeals of the FF candidate bringing the constitutional challenge and I think there's a fair chance he'll succeed in the supreme Court but still more likely he won't.
    It may not be as hard as you imagine, especially if it has done its job in representation. It's barely 1 in 10 extra for parties to come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

is_that_so wrote: »
    It may not be as hard as you imagine, especially if it has done its job in representation. It's barely 1 in 10 extra for parties to come up with.

Well it did its job in dropping the quality of representation, which I didnt think was possible but there you go.

Bambi wrote: »
    Well it did its job in dropping the quality of representation, which I didnt think was possible but there you go.
    That's been going on since the 80s. There are far more attractive and lucrative options for smart, able people than politics. Then there's the routine dog's abuse they get so no surprise at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Bambi wrote: »

Forums like this and others hardly help in terms of quality of representation, why go forward if people are just going to abuse you whatever you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

A lot more female 'running mates' in this election

A lot of them there to achieve the quota if you ask me

A lot more female 'running mates' in this election

A lot of them there to achieve the quota if you ask me
    That's what running mates do - boost overall party share geographically, but over time they can become the Number 1 with their own running mate.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Expect Brendan to get back no problem, but mark me folks, Verona Murphy is going to get elected.
    How? Her last vote was courtesy of FG backing. On numbers anyway she needs to get past the most recent FF TD, who I imagine will be re-elected and 2/3 FG candidates, including two incumbents.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Big drop in FG % with the gap largely filled by FF gain coming in poll in tomorrow’s Sunday Times.

Just as a comparison, here's their last one from December. Notable here is the somewhat dubious support level for SF, given that the average support level for SF across all polls is 15%.
    FG 27 FF 27 SF 20 Lab 6 GR 6 PBP 2 IA 2 SD 1 Ind/Others 9

Apparently a B&A poll in the Sunday Times tomorrow. Dropping this in from other thread.

Just as a comparison, here's their last one from December. Notable here is the somewhat dubious support level for SF, given that the average support level for SF across all polls is 15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Big drop in FG % with the gap largely filled by FF gain coming in poll in tomorrow’s Sunday Times.

Any exact figures?

Any exact figures?
    Will probably emerge about teatime tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Any exact figures?

FG to 20 (exact).
    FF to 30+ (don’t have exact).

FWIW, poll was conducted before election was called.

Some of the slogans so far. I like the snappy, simple Green one!

Fine Gael A future to look forward to
    Fianna Fáil An Ireland for all (Éire do chách)
    Labour Party Building an equal society
    Green Party Want Green, Vote Green

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The bookies have FF well clear of FG according to their odds.

Bookies conduct their own opinion polls too I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

is_that_so wrote: »
    Apparently a B&A poll in the Sunday Times tomorrow. Dropping this in from other thread.

I presume Red C will also have one - they generally poll mid-month, even without an election.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: One-liner deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think FG actually some fantastic female candidates Catherine Noone, Emer currie, Emer Higgins

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One is looking for trends over time, esp within each pollster. The actual figure whilst important, the direction of the electorate is what is key, who is rising, who is falling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This ensure that Renua can't somehow get state funding again next time, thankfully - probably couldn't get to 30% women if they ran every female member of the party!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

L1011 wrote: »
    This ensure that Renua can't somehow get state funding again next time, thankfully - probably couldn't get to 30% women if they ran every female member of the party!
    They could decide to run a total of three candidates...

Water John wrote: »
    One is looking for trends over time, esp within each pollster. The actual figure whilst important, the direction of the electorate is what is key, who is rising, who is falling.
    And the level of Don't Knows. It tends to be near the last week when it falls to single figures. Anything over 20% at this stage is not very informative.

I presume Red C will also have one - they generally poll mid-month, even without an election.
    I'd say we'll see themselves and IPSOS do polls over the next week or so. IPSOS tend to be midweek.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    The bookies have FF well clear of FG according to their odds.

Bookies conduct their own opinion polls too I assume?
    The odd Paddy Power one I think. Heavy betting will do that as well and FF have been talked about as (slight() favourites so you would expect people to pile into that.

Advertisement