Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have to laugh, just checked Airwire's checker and after 7 years of the initial FTTC rollout, my line is passing for FTTC with 7 meg down and 1 meg up. Perhaps Eir have activated some extended reach. Somehow I think i'll just continue to stay with FTTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »
    I have to laugh, just checked Airwire's checker and after 7 years of the initial FTTC rollout, my line is passing for FTTC with 7 meg down and 1 meg up. Perhaps Eir have activated some extended reach. Somehow I think i'll just continue to stay with FTTH!

Lines, which never have been enabled often are 7M. Even if you're under 100 Mbit/s from the cab. They need to be re-tested when they actually are build.

/M

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Today's the day we get our 1GB broadband installed :)

I know we won't get that speed on a wireless connection but should be better than Virgin (we average about 215 with them).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I know we won't get that speed on a wireless connection but should be better than Virgin (we average about 215 with them).

Over wireless I'd say you will get the same. 215 sounds like your limit on wifi, as Virgin normally really do get 250 over ethernet.

bk wrote: »
    Over wireless I'd say you will get the same. 215 sounds like your limit on wifi, as Virgin normally really do get 250 over ethernet.

Really, a quarter of the gig speed over wireless?

Anyway, KN Group just came to do the install onlybtobtell us the connection is not switched on, despite eir sales targeting us - the guy said this happens often.....will give them a shout.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

depends on what provider your getting as well as the modem you get will make a huge difference. Eir's modems are not great for wifi, I'm lucky to get more than 50 in most rooms, only close to the router I get over 100.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Really, a quarter of the gig speed over wireless?

Yes, 200ish would be quiet common for real world speeds for wifi.

If you have a laptop that support mu-mimo and multiple streams, then you could possibly get speeds of 400 to 500mb/s or perhaps even close to 750mb/s, but most people don't have such high speced laptops like this.

I doubt you will get anywhere near 1gb/s over wifi and probably not much more then you are currently getting.

Of course if you eventually upgrade your laptop and other devices, etc. and if you use ethernet where possible, you may be able to make better use of the FTTH.

Dumb question, if eir ever get their act together and connect us...does having a google wifi boost what you get by much?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've never understood the obsession with the speed that can be achieved over wireless. I have literally no idea what speed my wireless devices can download from the internet, and I can't think of a single reason why I would care.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've never understood the obsession with the speed that can be achieved over wireless. I have literally no idea what speed my wireless devices can download from the internet, and I can't think of a single reason why I would care.

Increased WFH means we have two desktops that are not in the lounge (where the router is).

Agree dont really care about speeds on tablets and phones as long as it is decent but for work it means a lot.

Increased WFH means we have two desktops that are not in the lounge (where the router is).

Agree dont really care about speeds on tablets and phones as long as it is decent but for work it means a lot.

We have a server, two desktops, two laptops, a couple of tablets, a couple of smartphones, a smart TV, three security cameras, a bunch of home automation devices, two Nest displays and several Nest Minis...

Once they work smoothly (which they do) I don't care about speed. I don't run speed tests - I just don't care.

Dumb question, if eir ever get their act together and connect us...does having a google wifi boost what you get by much?

Probably not if you are limited by the max speed of your laptop. You might see some difference, but not significant.

Wireless systems like Google Wifi are more about getting connectivity in distant parts of your home where you normally get a weak or poor signal.
    We have a server, two desktops, two laptops, a couple of tablets, a couple of smartphones, a smart TV, three security cameras, a bunch of home automation devices, two Nest displays and several Nest Minis...

Once they work smoothly (which they do) I don't care about speed. I don't run speed tests - I just don't care.

Well of course it depends on what you are doing. If you are working from home, then pulling and pushing large image files, etc. it can make a difference.

Family at home, watching multiple Disney+/Netflix 4k streams, each of which is about 30Mb/s, can add up to issues when you are working and trying to do Zoom calls, etc. Even though I've very good and fast wifi, I actually found it become less reliable when the family was home due to COVID19, connecting the laptop over ethernet sorted that.

Add to that multiple IP cameras stream 4k video over the wifi.

Doing backups to a NAS over wifi. It can all add up and start to impact on the wifi.

Of course the real question is, if you aren't interested in faster speeds, why someone would even bother with 1gig FTTH?

bk wrote: »
    ...connecting the laptop over ethernet sorted that.
    Bingo.
    Add to that multiple IP cameras stream 4k video over the wifi.

Doing backups to a NAS over wifi. It can all add up and start to impact on the wifi.
    Sure. The problem is that very few people understand the impact of running several bandwidth-heavy applications on a shared medium that operates on the basis of collision detection. Instead they run a speed test on their phone at the same time that they're trying to watch several 4k Disney streams, install Windows updates, download Xbox games... then ring their ISP and complain that they're not getting what they're paying for.
    Of course the real question is, if you aren't interested in faster speeds, why someone would even bother with 1gig FTTH?
    As it happens, I don't - 150Mb/s does me the finest - but there's an important difference between "not interested in faster speeds" and "not obsessing over speedtest results on handheld devices".

So despite getting an addressed letter selling the gigabyte broadband and booking an install, got a call from eir saying further work is required and it should be dine by mid August.

They will only continue the work if we commit to signing up but they won't commit that things will be working in mid August.

The friggen lines were laid last summer.

Told them to cancel the order, had to cancel the cancellation at Virgin too, will have a think.

Seems with multiple owners eir are as **** as they've always been. In fairness the CEO tells people who tweet her personally to email her with their issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

After years of hoping and waiting, finally got the FTTH installed. Nervous as hell as they squeezed the rod through 80m of duct. The relief when the rod reached the other end! KN guy refused to route the cable anywhere outside the house exterior and said for IFN jobs it is up to the customer to provide a duct to inside. So the old video where they were tacking the line to the facia etc. does not apply. Luckily I had a duct I could use. He brought no router either as it was an "IFN job". I called Vodafone and they say one should have arrived in the post, but it appears to have gotten lost. Anyway I rigged up an old VDSL router and put it into bridge mode (VLAN Tag 10) and connected it up to Google nest and all is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alpha2003_

Siro informed me they would be skipping my estate in Dublin 13 Due to the lack of Ducting and poles in the area, Will Eir also skip us with their new FTTH service or would they install new ducting/Poles?

The Max i can get from Eir atm is up to 100MBps

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

According to the rollout map fibre broaband (no overhead line option) should be available at my address in 6 weeks. Thats was 10 or 12 weeks ago and it still saying the same.

My home is one of 10 or 12 new houses on an existing development with the existing houses already with access to the fibre.

KN networks mechanic told us we are just waiting for it to be activated. They done call outs on pretty much the same thing for all the new residents. It's what they get paid to do so they don't care if they have to tell us all the same thing.

Anyway the lines/underground cables, cabinets, boxes and access points in the home are there so it's infrastructurally sound in the regard.

Obviously covid will have held things up but what is the waiting game about in layman's terms

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

A company called ICL were blowing fibre up the ducts on our road today. When questioned they said it was for Eir FTTH. Our estate isnt on the Fibrerollout map at all. We shall wait and see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Eir (KN) did my estate end of April and the fibre is still coiled on the poles not terminated today. Who know when they will complete it.

A company called ICL were blowing fibre up the ducts on our road today. When questioned they said it was for Eir FTTH. Our estate isnt on the Fibrerollout map at all. We shall wait and see.

That was is last summer and it's still not possible to get without 'finishing works'

That map was for the rural 300k rollout. The urban IFN rollout isn't mapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

That map was for the rural 300k rollout. The urban IFN rollout isn't mapped.

That makes sense so. Ours is a new housing estate in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

Ok so rang vodafone to get broadband in and received modem in post and all. They said yeah all is good to go for 80mbps and given date for engineer's visit.

Eir then ring to say yes the area im in I have fibre to cabinet but not fibre to the home which vodafone seemed to have ignored and that I need to contact them about this.

So then am I right in saying Eir can't do anything and I actually can't get broadband after all?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ok so rang vodafone to get broadband in and received modem in post and all. They said yeah all is good to go for 80mbps and given date for engineer's visit.

Eir then ring to say yes the area im in I have fibre to cabinet but not fibre to the home which vodafone seemed to have ignored and that I need to contact them about this.

So then am I right in saying Eir can't do anything and I actually can't get broadband after all?

Im not sure the question is here, 80mbps is broadband is is the same service you would get from Eir.

Advertisement