Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

You couldn't make it up!

No outer bypass because of bog cotton, now the city will grind to a halt due to an otter. Christ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Eeden wrote: »
    When is all this supposed to happen? or has that not been decided yet?

They are taking the preferred option - a one way system incorporating the Lough Atalia - Fairgreen - College Road loop, which would allow the lights involved to be reconfigured into push button pedestrian lights.

There'll be penalties for late completion with bonuses for finishing up early, with most of the work expected to be spent relocating services e.g. broadband gas & water..

Details in the sentinel

They will start in mid September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    now the city will grind to a halt due to an otter.

That otter is a rotter.

Not that I mind, as I actually like otters and I certainly will not be grinding to a halt. I saw an otter in a mill-race near Dominick Street once, and it was a beautiful sight to behold.

However local residents would probably like to sleep at some stage during the night :(

The residents of Forthill won't complain... :)

Not the otter's fault that thick truck drivers can't judge their height.

Or their thickness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Picture of the otteress required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

snubbleste wrote: »
    Picture of the otteress required.

harry_otter_by_rainyxskyz-d31xa04.jpg

I think his name is Harry ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

This is otterly deplorable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So what is the chances they will keep this OPTION 3 layout
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_02.pdf
    in existence once these works are carried out?

They do love large One Way Systems in City Hall.

Page 6 of the document
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_01.pdf

has the advantages and disadvantages of this option.

So what is the chances they will keep this OPTION 3 layout
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_02.pdf
    in existence once these works are carried out?

They do love large One Way Systems in City Hall.

Page 6 of the document
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_01.pdf

has the advantages and disadvantages of this option.

I'd rather they went one way Lough Atalia & College Rd in, Bohermore out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    I'd rather they went one way Lough Atalia & College Rd in, Bohermore out.

Obviously you don't live 1/2 way down one of them, it's a huge block to have to go around if you live at one end and need to drive in the other direction.

Obviously you don't live 1/2 way down one of them, it's a huge block to have to go around if you live at one end and need to drive in the other direction.

So? The greater good vs a few people in college rd/bohermore?:rolleyes:

Anyways for practical reasons caused by the development of the port neither the current temporary reroute or my suggestion will likely be permanent as it would mean bringing heavy traffic up Bohermore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I don't know if this started today but the traffic was chaos this morning from the lwr salthill side.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I don't know if this started today but the traffic was chaos this morning from the lwr salthill side.
    You are traffic :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It was on the radio recently that the bridge works have been put off until next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

From the galway city council website

Road Works at Lough Atalia Bridge
    In order to progress the lowering of the Lough Atalia Road underneath the railway bridge, Galway City Council will be carrying out ground investigation works beginning Monday 8th September. Works will take place from 09:30 - 16:00, Monday to Friday from 08/09/14 until Friday 19/09/14. A Stop / Go temporary traffic management arrangement will be in place from Wednesday 10th - Friday 19th. Motorists can expect delays during this period.

Galway City Council apologises for any inconvienence caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

From the galway city council website

Road Works at Lough Atalia Bridge
    In order to progress the lowering of the Lough Atalia Road underneath the railway bridge, Galway City Council will be carrying out ground investigation works beginning Monday 8th September. Works will take place from 09:30 - 16:00, Monday to Friday from 08/09/14 until Friday 19/09/14. A Stop / Go temporary traffic management arrangement will be in place from Wednesday 10th - Friday 19th. Motorists can expect delays during this period.

Galway City Council apologises for any inconvienence caused.

Any reason these couldn't be done at night time? Or will they upset Cpt. Otter too

Any reason these couldn't be done at night time? Or will they upset Cpt. Otter too

The presence of residents in the area will limit the amount of night time that can be used.

The presence of residents in the area will limit the amount of night time that can be used.
    Those in Forthill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Those in Forthill?

Forthill don't normally complain but the ones in the Radisson and the rest of the road are entitled to a peaceful nights sleep. Not sure why they waited until the kids were back to School to start the works.

Forthill don't normally complain

And if they do start complaining, it could be difficult to get road-workers into the area at night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Lowering the road - would that not make it prone to flooding? And, essentially if it floods, it would be just as bad, if not worse, as a truck hitting it and result in the road being closed and therefore defeating the purpose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    Lowering the road - would that not make it prone to flooding? And, essentially if it floods, it would be just as bad, if not worse, as a truck hitting it and result in the road being closed and therefore defeating the purpose?

Pretty sure they install pumps to keep the stretch of road under the bridge from flooding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

they cant really do ground investigations at night because of the noise pollution. you could probably hear it in salthill .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

they cant really do ground investigations at night because of the noise pollution. you could probably hear it in salthill .

What do ya think they'll be doing....Driving piles?...a few trial holes or slit trenches and some ground penetrating radar is all id imagine it will involve

Edit...i take it back...they'll may take some cores also

Any update on this?
    It is due to start in March and cause 'issues' for three months.

Any update on this?
    It is due to start in March and cause 'issues' for three months.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/163/59/Public-Notice-of-Intention-Temporary-Closure-of-Section-of-Lough-Atalia-Road-from-18th-March-to-13th-May-2015/

Edit: I've seen articles in the various local papers, I'll see if I can find links later.

The work will start on Weds 18th March and is scheduled to take 8 weeks up to Weds 13th May.

Here is the information from Galway City Council page.

Here is a map in pdf format describing the new one-way system which will be in operation for the duration of the works.

The main points are:

Lough Atalia Road will be one-way westbound.

College Road will be one-way eastbound.

Fairgreen Road will be one-way northbound (from Lough Atalia towards Coach Station).

There will be no Straight-through from Bothar Ui Eithir to Fairgreen Road - traffic will either have to turn left onto College Rd or right onto Foster St.

At the Moneenageisha junction, there will be no right turn from Moneenageisha Rd to College Rd, and no right turn from Dublin Rd to Wellpark Rd.

Westbound traffic will travel in on Lough Atalia Road, turn right onto Fairgreen Rd, left onto Foster St, passing the Meyrick Hotel and on to the Dock Rd.

Eastbound traffic will travel east on Merchants Rd, around Eyre Square, and out Prospect Hill where they will have a choice of straight on through Bohermore, or turning right onto Bothar Ui Eithir followed by a left onto College Rd.

Taxis / Cars wishing to collect / drop-off at the Coach Station will need to take a longer route out College Rd, turning right after the Greyhound track onto Lough Atalia Rd and right onto Fairgreen Rd.

A few points/questions arise which are not covered by the information in the GCC website:

Foster Street will be a nightmare. The increased traffic will make the 2 pedestrianised crossings near Garveys / Meyrick more dangerous.

Will they still allow open top tour buses to continue parking on clearways on Foster Street.

Taxis who want to pick up or drop off at the Coach Station will now have to go out College Rd and turn right after the Sportsground / Greyhound Track. This will lead to them stopping near the junction to collect / let passengers out.

Will they have a set-down area on or a temporary taxi-rank on Foster St to accomodate the Coach Station - again, if not, taxis/cars will just stop on the road to let passengers & luggage out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

What's the story with the petrol station there? Would they have to be compensated considering there'll be no passing trade for the guts of three months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Only way to go...
    HIGH-NELLY-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    What's the story with the petrol station there? Would they have to be compensated considering there'll be no passing trade for the guts of three months?

Exactly what I was wondering, too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Good question; would love to know what's going to happen with that station. I use it for Parcel Motel quite a lot as well.

Which points out another great factor: every single bus and truck heading to/from Harbour Enterprise Park is going to be going thru Eyre Square. That's gonna be fun. (Not).

I'm interested to see if the route 403, 409 and 410 buses are routed down Lough Attalia Rd, or if they'll switch to going down Bohermore. The latter would make more sense, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Which points out another great factor: every single bus and truck heading to/from Harbour Enterprise Park is going to be going thru Eyre Square. That's gonna be fun. (Not).

I'm interested to see if the route 403, 409 and 410 buses are routed down Lough Attalia Rd, or if they'll switch to going down Bohermore. The latter would make more sense, I think.

Bus Eireann are planning on utilising their yard beside the merick for a shortcut to their depot in the docks. This will bring them out just across from the texaco on the lough atalia road.

and eh, what about the much-publicised otteress?

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Good question; would love to know what's going to happen with that station. I use it for Parcel Motel quite a lot as well.

Presumably it will still be open, along with the car park & various businesses in the area but access will only be from the docks direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I heard today that the station is due to close for 8 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Is there an official day this work is set to begin, need to plan logistics around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread title updated, is anything changes in schedule mode can update accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is there an official day this work is set to begin, need to plan logistics around it.

18th March is the road closure start date.

and eh, the City Council public release does not mention pedestrians.
    Will the footpath also be closed?

Joe O'Neill (Acting CEO GCC) was on the wireless morning literally pleading with townsfolk to use bicycles and public transport during these roadworks.
    Wonder if the car park in City Hall will be less full during the period?

If people have any queries, you can telephone the Tobin engineer Tom on his mobile M-F 9-5

The closure date has been moved back to April 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From article it seems the date may have changed to 23rd?:

"The works to lower the road under the low 19th century bridge are scheduled to begin on-site on Monday 23 March, with the road from the Fairgreen junction at the Radisson Blu Hotel to the back entrance of Ceannt Station due to close from Tuesday 7 April"

Joe O'Neill (Acting CEO GCC) was on the wireless morning literally pleading with townsfolk to use bicycles and public transport during these roadworks.
    Wonder if the car park in City Hall will be less full during the period?

If people have any queries, you can telephone the Tobin engineer Tom on his mobile M-F 9-5

The Coke Zero bike station at City Hall is operational - I expect the car park to only be half full from now on!

• Advertisement

I for one will be taking wise Joe's advice!
    Eyre Square is going to be a right mess when all this car traffic is going to be directed into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The right turn into Wellpark coming in off the Dublin road will be closed, you will have to go straight ahead up to the roundabout at Cemetery Cross turn around and go down to left to Wellpark, that will be great fun pushing traffic onto a roundabout that is the worst in the City, I can see the right turn into the G Hotel and the shopping centre there will be a right rat run.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The right turn into Wellpark coming in off the Dublin road will be closed, you will have to go straight ahead up to the roundabout at Cemetery Cross turn around and go down to left to Wellpark, that will be great fun pushing traffic onto a roundabout that is the worst in the City, I can see the right turn into the G Hotel and the shopping centre there will be a right rat run.

It will be Fine by Friday: you will learn to turn right into Michael Collins Rd, go along there to Connelly Ave and then back down Wellpark. Yes it's a loop, but faster than getting around Cemetery Cross and back down again :-) And it's not forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Anybody know who is the contractor for the works?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Storm 10 wrote: »

It already is, coupled with some of the craziest parking attempts I've ever come across in that retail park. Not uncommon for the traffic to back right out to the Dublin road because of a parking dispute or someone pulling up and turning on their hazards while blocking a lane. The mini roundabout is a death trap too with people rarely Yielding to traffic already "on it"(If ya can call it that since it is so small). When is the next Connacht home game? Thats when the fun will begin!

• Advertisement
Advertisement