Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

and eh, the City Council public release does not mention pedestrians.
    Will the footpath also be closed?

Joe O'Neill (Acting CEO GCC) was on the wireless morning literally pleading with townsfolk to use bicycles and public transport during these roadworks.
    Wonder if the car park in City Hall will be less full during the period?

If people have any queries, you can telephone the Tobin engineer Tom on his mobile M-F 9-5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The closure date has been moved back to April 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From article it seems the date may have changed to 23rd?:

"The works to lower the road under the low 19th century bridge are scheduled to begin on-site on Monday 23 March, with the road from the Fairgreen junction at the Radisson Blu Hotel to the back entrance of Ceannt Station due to close from Tuesday 7 April"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

snubbleste wrote: »
    Joe O'Neill (Acting CEO GCC) was on the wireless morning literally pleading with townsfolk to use bicycles and public transport during these roadworks.
    Wonder if the car park in City Hall will be less full during the period?

If people have any queries, you can telephone the Tobin engineer Tom on his mobile M-F 9-5

The Coke Zero bike station at City Hall is operational - I expect the car park to only be half full from now on!

• Advertisement

I for one will be taking wise Joe's advice!
    Eyre Square is going to be a right mess when all this car traffic is going to be directed into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The right turn into Wellpark coming in off the Dublin road will be closed, you will have to go straight ahead up to the roundabout at Cemetery Cross turn around and go down to left to Wellpark, that will be great fun pushing traffic onto a roundabout that is the worst in the City, I can see the right turn into the G Hotel and the shopping centre there will be a right rat run.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,704 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The right turn into Wellpark coming in off the Dublin road will be closed, you will have to go straight ahead up to the roundabout at Cemetery Cross turn around and go down to left to Wellpark, that will be great fun pushing traffic onto a roundabout that is the worst in the City, I can see the right turn into the G Hotel and the shopping centre there will be a right rat run.

It will be Fine by Friday: you will learn to turn right into Michael Collins Rd, go along there to Connelly Ave and then back down Wellpark. Yes it's a loop, but faster than getting around Cemetery Cross and back down again :-) And it's not forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Anybody know who is the contractor for the works?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Storm 10 wrote: »

It already is, coupled with some of the craziest parking attempts I've ever come across in that retail park. Not uncommon for the traffic to back right out to the Dublin road because of a parking dispute or someone pulling up and turning on their hazards while blocking a lane. The mini roundabout is a death trap too with people rarely Yielding to traffic already "on it"(If ya can call it that since it is so small). When is the next Connacht home game? Thats when the fun will begin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

_Puma_ wrote: »
    When is the next Connacht home game? Thats when the fun will begin!

A Saturday in April? Will that be a problem?

Front up, rise up. Just don't drive up...

cocoman wrote: »
    Anybody know who is the contractor for the works?

Today's advertiser has the contractor as
    The work is being carried out by L&M Keating Ltd Building and Civil Engineering Contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

From: http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/178/59/Lough-Atalia-Bridge-Road-Lowering---Public-Information-Update/

On Monday 2nd March, Galway City Council appointed L&M Keating Ltd., Building and Civil Engineering Contractors to the Lough Atalia Bridge Road Lowering Project.

In order to facilitate the works, the road underneath the Lough Atalia Railway Bridge will be closed to all traffic for an 8 week period and a traffic management plan will be implemented. Galway City Council have made an order to close the Lough Atalia Road from the Fairgreen Road junction (beside the Radisson Hotel) to the back entrance to Ceannt Station. Galway City Council and L&M Keating are working together to implement a traffic management plan to help reduce delays that can be expected during the road closure period. This traffic management plan includes the introduction of a one-way system on Lough Atalia Road, Fairgreen Road and College Road.
    Works are due to begin on site, starting Monday 23rd March 2015. However for the first two weeks of work, no road closures will be introduced. It is not intended to close the Lough Atalia Road, and introduce the one-way system before Tuesday 7th April in order to allow unrestricted access to Galway City during the Easter weekend. Galway City Council and L&M Keating will work towards closing Lough Atalia Road for the minimum length of time possible required to complete the works safely.
    Galway City Council have appointed Mr. Tom Cannon of TOBIN Consulting Engineers as Public Liaison Engineer to the project for the duration of the works. Mr. Cannon will be available to answer any queries from Residents, Businesses and the general public from 9am - 5pm, Mon-Fri. Mr. Cannon can be contacted on 086 xxx.
    Updates on traffic management plans and durations will be available on the Galway City Council Website www.galwaycity.ie and an email list of stakeholders will be compiled to release all information to the public as it becomes available.
    Galway City Council would like to apologies for any disruption that will be caused by the works and thank the Public for their support and understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

New news article on the council website today, should cover most of the questions;
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/201/59/Lough-Atalia-Bridge-Road-Lowering---Road-Closure-Traffic-Management-Plan/

This sounds wise...
    Forster Street

A clearway will be put in place along Forster Street to ensure traffic flow will move without obstruction from parking / loading vehicles. The bus lane will be opened up to all traffic. A loading area will be made available adjacent to the gate to Saint Patrick's Church. Loading will not be permitted in any other area along Forster Street. The City Wardens will be on hand to keep traffic moving along Forster Street.

A bus-stop has been established on Lough Attalia Rd, for people who would normally use the bus stops at the east end of College Rd. This will mean a slightly-longer-than-normal walk to get to the sportsground.

People who would usually use the inbound bus stop at the western end of College Rd (opposite City Hall) will need to walk from Eyre Square / the Railway station.

(Bus Éireann have not announced if all the affected city services will use the Lough Attalia Rd inbound, or if some will divert via Bohermore. But given the presence of the bus-stop sign, I am guessing they will.)

Will both lanes be used in the same direction?

(Bus Éireann have not announced if all the affected city services will use the Lough Attalia Rd inbound, or if some will divert via Bohermore. But given the presence of the bus-stop sign, I am guessing they will.)

Assuming the buses can take the left turn from Fairgreen Rd to Forster St (they were due to modify the layout of this junction over the past few days) I'd have thought that they'd all in by Lough Atalia.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Assuming the buses can take the left turn from Fairgreen Rd to College Rd (they were due to modify the layout of this junction over the past few days) I'd have thought that they'd all in by Lough Atalia.

"Assume" makes an ass out of you and me!

Sorry, but I cannot imagine a left turn from Fairgreen Rd into College Rd! Maybe you mean the "other-left" which the lads coming out of the coach-station could already do without modifications.

Anyways, it's irrelevant: the city buses will most likely be going thru the bus station and on to Eyre Square that way. Or they may turn left into Forster St when it's quiet!

"Assume" makes an ass out of you and me!

Sorry, but I cannot imagine a left turn from Fairgreen Rd into College Rd! Maybe you mean the "other-left" which the lads coming out of the coach-station could already do without modifications.

Anyways, it's irrelevant: the city buses will most likely be going thru the bus station and on to Eyre Square that way. Or they may turn left into Forster St when it's quiet!

While "assume" makes an ass out of both of us, you still seem to have understood exactly what I meant.;)

I forgot about the entrance to the bus station, I'll have to check if there's any notice on the Forster St bus stop to say that it will be closed.

Will both lanes be used in the same direction?

Yes the one way system shown in red will be two lanes of traffic...
    8fcYck.png

• Advertisement

Society breakdown imminent on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Does anyone know what will happen to the walkway over the bridge (aka "The line")?

I'm sure it will be closed at some stage but hardly for the entire duration of the works?

Society breakdown imminent on Tuesday.

Don't risk exposing your precious cars to these demonic forces - leave 'em at home and catch the bus!

Update: Bus Éireann have announced it now http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1738&month=Apr But they've got their 402s and 403s mixed up. To be clear, 402 uses Bohermore and isn't affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Does anyone know what will happen to the walkway over the bridge (aka "The line")?

I'm sure it will be closed at some stage but hardly for the entire duration of the works?

The railway line is being kept open throughout the work (unless they somehow manage to collapse the bridge during works), so I can't see why 'the line' wouldn't be open to pedestrians also.

What time of the morning does the switch occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

What time of the morning does the switch occur?

Not sure; I saw line-painting trucks out at around 9:30pm looking like they'd be sorting things out overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭thesandeman

It's been one of the main items on Radio 1 news all night.
    It won't effect me thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Being discussed on Radio 1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

It's well marked out in fairness. Traffic light sequence has been changed at Moneenageisha. Traffic was light this morning (at 8am) but next week will be a big test when schools are back.

• Advertisement

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-gif.gif

Advertisement