Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Fantacoke wrote: »
    Hamptons is ace if you happen to be celiac. I had the knife and fork ribs recently. You may think ribs as a main? Hmmm? But this was a rack of ribs cooked to perfection. Meat falling off the bone and a full plate of it with a side of French fries and the best coleslaw ever. The barbecue sauce nasted all over the was ribs was delicious ...
    Nomable times 100 :) And great value too.
    I'd definitely go back.

Were the french fries & barbecue sauce gluten free?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 0435414@live.ie

Hey Im heading down to the kilmallock area this weekend and im looking for a restaraunt within 20/30 mins that would be really nice for a cosy, special occasion meal for two...but not in the city..any ideas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

Try the Mustard seed in ballingarry , think about 15 min from kilmallock , its a bit pricey but tasty http://www.mustardseed.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Hey Im heading down to the kilmallock area this weekend and im looking for a restaraunt within 20/30 mins that would be really nice for a cosy, special occasion meal for two...but not in the city..any ideas???
    redrums wrote: »
    Try the Mustard seed in ballingarry , think about 15 min from kilmallock , its a bit pricey but tasty http://www.mustardseed.ie/

Absolutely food is excellent, very good service as well. If evening is nice a stroll around the gardens is very nice as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Had lunch in finnegans on the dublin road on Sun last awful service and veg, chips etc were cold. Said it to the waitress she said she would tell the kitchen and that was it! Would not recommend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Had lunch in finnegans on the dublin road on Sun last awful service and veg, chips etc were cold. Said it to the waitress she said she would tell the kitchen and that was it! Would not recommend it

I had only heard great things about the place, so tried it recently and had the same experience,put it down to an off day and went back another two times, lesson learned, will not be going back!!!!!! they don't even seem able to mash potatoes properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

was there a sour-puss fella behind the counter by any chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

Quick question - where is good for a Saturday/Sunday morning breakfast in town these days? I really miss the Wild Onion (still) and haven't really enjoyed breakfast that much in the few other places I've tried. Has anyone any recommendations for a nice spot with good coffee and more than just a greasy full Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Quick question - where is good for a Saturday/Sunday morning breakfast in town these days? I really miss the Wild Onion (still) and haven't really enjoyed breakfast that much in the few other places I've tried. Has anyone any recommendations for a nice spot with good coffee and more than just a greasy full Irish?

The Curragower do lovely all day breakfast on the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 tonyloulauren

Blady123 wrote: »
    This is a great thread and has some great recommendations. I was wondering though - which restaurant gets the most reviews? My family are visiting and I'm looking to take them somewhere traditional and not too pricey, but nice. Maybe somewhere that's not a bar, as I realise Dolans and the Locke are nice places. Any help is appreciated - they're coming this evening.

Cheers,
    B
    not the george anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

B[/QUOTE ]not the george anyway[/QUOTE]

Why not The George? I've eaten there quite a few times and always found it nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

B
    not the george anyway[/QUOTE]

Why not The George? I've eaten there quite a few times and always found it nice.[/QUOTE]

The george is better for evening meals, a lot of residents from there, and the savoy come accross to us(arabica) for breakfast. Ate there around Christmas time, on a sunday and found their evening menu very good value and good service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Had dinner the week end in Casta Nostra on mount kenneth place.

Was excellent! A little pricey though I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

john_cappa wrote: »
    Had dinner the week end in Casta Nostra on mount kenneth place.

Was excellent! A little pricey though I thought!

Pricey? what did you have/cost?

Been there a couple of times and found it very reasonable...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lyencoli

Had food out of Phoenix Dragon in Dooradoyle (over xtravision) very reasonable and tasty too

• Advertisement

Harpers in the Milk Market do lovely coffee and sandwiches.

The woman who is always in there is very friendly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Guys this IS NOT A JOKE and could be a matter of my life or death but.... Chicken hut??? How bad is it?

My OH gets a hankering for fried chicken every now and then and sometimes suggests it as he's heard great things (from mates who get well loaded) but I've heard dodgy reports.... I get that its not healthy but is it to be avoided for any other reason??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Make sure you get the gravy, best chicken in town in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Chicken Hut is amazing, a vegetarian friend of mine was devastated when I told her she couldnt eat the gravy anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Deffo gonna give it a bash. Will report back in due course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

gg2 wrote: »
    Deffo gonna give it a bash.

Nice choice of words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

gg2 wrote: »
    Deffo gonna give it a bash. Will report back in due course :)

You know if you don't report back in a day or so, we'll be worried about you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭phog

Where's good for mid day lunch near city centre on a weekday? Carvery would be acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Hey lads, I was looking to go for a meal the weekend with the girlfriend and the weekend menu says it's 30e. Does that mean 30e for 3 courses each? I'm poor but would like a nice meal too:pac:

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭georgem25

Yes 30 each for 3 courses - link to menu

http://www.texassteakout.com/food-menu/weekend-menu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

georgem25 wrote: »
    Yes 30 each for 3 courses - link to menu

http://www.texassteakout.com/food-menu/weekend-menu/

Thank you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

So my family are going on a little get-together and chose Limerick as our place to visit :) Could anyone recommend a good Thai/Chinese/Indian that is good for groups and a nice place to eat?

None of us know anything about the city so we're hopeless I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jasmine Palace would be a nice Chinese and has the room for groups too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

gawker wrote: »
    So my family are going on a little get-together and chose Limerick as our place to visit :) Could anyone recommend a good Thai/Chinese/Indian that is good for groups and a nice place to eat?

None of us know anything about the city so we're hopeless I'm afraid!

How big is your group? The Thai Gourmet is absolutely gorgeous.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

A group of us are going to Limerick for the weekend soon. Is there any restaurants you guys recommend??

Azur or Cornstore are ones that popped out, anybody been to either and would recommend them for a group of 6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You cannot really go wrong with either Azur or Cornstore. Chocolate on O'Connell St. is also nice if you like fusion and good value too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You cannot really go wrong with either Azur or Cornstore. Chocolate on O'Connell St. is also nice if you like fusion and good value too.

*Puts on finest french accent*

"Chocolat"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKKh2YM6GGcMhrwgvARUWQj6_ygOHTV52GK8WnzplU1zNMVxba

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lol, I thought it was Chowder!

It's Chowda!

1005.jpg?t=1210880795

• Registered Users Posts: 11 b3mol

Have You thought about Hamptons restaurant ? The do groups easily. There are deal for bigger groups as well including prosecco reception etc.
    Good Thai that I have tried recently was Bambu on O'Connell Street. Went there for a quick dinner on my own. Loved Tikka Massala wiht Lamb... Good starter and a nice dessert that had a weird name...All of that + Cidona + Espresso costed me 21,20 euros..
    I would recommend that !

<snip>

Mod Edit: Offering to get people a "good deal" from a business will be taken as you having an affiliation with the business and as such will be regarded as shilling

b3mol wrote: »
    Have You thought about Hamptons restaurant ? The do groups easily. There are deal for bigger groups as well including prosecco reception etc.
    Good Thai that I have tried recently was Bambu on O'Connell Street. Went there for a quick dinner on my own. Loved Tikka Massala wiht Lamb... Good starter and a nice dessert that had a weird name...All of that + Cidona + Espresso costed me 21,20 euros..
    I would recommend that !

I would not go in to Hamtons if it was free..............dire experience, overcrowded, overcooked and over noisy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

What's Canteen on Mallow St like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Been there a few times.

Mostly for a tea or coffee as I was in the area, but had a couple of light meals.

"Light meals" is I think what they mostly they do. I had some sort of spiced pork wrap once, can't remember the other meal. They were competently done, but not too exciting.

Actually, I usually go there because it's new and different. A refreshing place.

Itsdacraic wrote: »

I've been there twice.

While their food feels healthy to eat, I think this is due to its complete lack of taste.

Good coffee though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    b3mol wrote: »
    I would recommend that !

I would not go in to Hamtons if it was free..............dire experience, overcrowded, overcooked and over noisy!!
    +1 awful gave it a few goes NEVER returning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Anyone have any recent opinions on Mejana on Thomas St?
    The GF is touting it as a candidate for date night and while I love lebanese food, I haven't heard anything from folks about this spot in quite a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

sioda wrote: »
    +1 awful gave it a few goes NEVER returning

We had a big group for a reunion weekend there last August (admittedly a few months ago) and it was super - everyone really enjoyed it. Sorry to hear it's disimproved, I was hoping to make a return visit soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Ate in Marco Polo last weekend, great value and ideal with large families in tow with their good value deals, food is ok but good value and service was very good. Always seem to accommodate you. I must add I think food is average but a few friends really like food.

Was in hamptons about 5 weeks ago , had the steak which was good ( no Freddie's though) , service was good. Everyone in our group enjoyed their food but couple found their starters on the small side.

I was in Azur week after that for Sunday lunch, we were very disappointed with poor service, it was previously very good- we had a good 20 min wait between taking away starters and giving us out mains, some waited longer. Three of our party then had to wait ages for dessert so long in fact that everyone else had finished by time deserts arrived.

Freddie's , still by far our favourite place to eat , good starters,good mains and nutty pancake dessert is yum, wish they would put upstairs back the way it was with the lights across the rafters. Sometimes the waiting staff are bit young but generally very pleasant

Bells Italia. Don't get me started, I make a better base tomatoe sauce than they do , crap bread given at start which is cuisine de France which I don't think is right for Italian. Service wasn't as bad last time I was in there as previous visits . Need to really cop on but might be fine if you have fussy eaters with you because food lacks flavour.

Tuscany bistro gives more authentic and tasty Italian dishes but their service can be hit and miss. Last two times were good with beautiful mains.

Corn store was nice last time I was there with friendly staff, nice surroundings. Staff particularly good with a small child that was with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

banie01 wrote: »
    Anyone have any recent opinions on Mejana on Thomas St?
    The GF is touting it as a candidate for date night and while I love lebanese food, I haven't heard anything from folks about this spot in quite a while?

I was in there around Christmas and to be honest have forgotten to go back , we had lunch which was nice. Owner seemed friendly and staff were attentive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

A round up of some of the places i have eaten in recently. I hope they are useful to someone - i find this thread really handy!

La Cucina - I really like the food and the buzz in there. Its well priced and always fresh food but lordy there are two of the four (there generally seem to be four waitresses on when i am there) really dont like their job and it shows. The other two waitresses are lovely but for some reason two of them are just so rude and unhelpful. It puts me off each time i am there - i havent been back in a while but the food brings me back.

Casa Nova - Love this place, great food. Well priced and lovely staff. It is a notch above other takeaways in the area in terms of quality in my opinion. Lots of options on the menu and they are happy to make substitutions for dietary requirements. I like supporting this place, try it!

Absolute Hotel restaurant - Had a really nice meal here recently. Fantastic service from friendly staff. The food was really well presented, of good quality and in nicely proportioned portions so i was full but not stuffed. Couldnt fault it and i will be going back soon - also it was really really well priced. Gorgeous setting too by the river.

Spice of India - Nice takeaway from here, good menu with more than the usual Korma/Tikka stuff. They have Southern Indian cuisine so its always nice to try something a bit different. It seemed fresh and i didnt have that "indian take away hangover" the next morning so thats a good thing! Nice staff and it was fairly priced. The restaurant is very dark though - i dont think i could eat there!

Canteen: Interesting little place. Nice menu, food was fresh but i was still hungry after. I will go back though as its nice to see something different in Limerick. I like the atmosphere in there -it was just different to anything in Limerick. Pricing was fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Maybe you should tell the owners of La Cucina - they are on twitter, I'm sure they would love the constructive feedback. Another point maybe that they are italian and if you have ever been to Italy - thats the norm!

Whereabouts are Spice of India & Casa Nova

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mc Love wrote: »

Spice of india is on O'Connell St upstairs in the old Nestors.
    Casa Nova is on High St.

Just to add a wee review myself.
    Went to Mejana last Friday night and really enjoyed the food.
    Fresh and very well prepared.
    Some lovely starters and the mains were delicious.
    However I thought my main was a wee bit on the small side especially when I compared it to my GF's shwarma(In both cost and quantity :p )!!!!
    She got a plate full of meaty goodness on the other hand my mixed grill was full of goodness but hardly a plate full :p
    They have a good wine list but the house white is quite poor.
    The service was hit and miss, trying to get the bill was an effort.
    The dead eyed belly dancer was more of an imposition than an entertainment, she seemed to have no interest at all in being there and it detracted(to my mind anyways) from the otherwise nice atmosphere with a random turning up of the stereo followed by a gyrating girl with no interest in being there.
    Overall I would definitely eat there again, my GF in particular loved the food.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Maybe you should tell the owners of La Cucina - they are on twitter, I'm sure they would love the constructive feedback. Another point maybe that they are italian and if you have ever been to Italy - thats the norm!

I am not on Twitter. I know i should probably say something when i am there...but i can never be bothered really. I dont feel its going to change!

Also i have been to Italy- both North and South many times and always found people in the service industry generally amicable so i will have to disagree that its the norm!

Casa Nova is on High St.

Casa Nova or Casa Nostra??

Casa Nova is on High St.

Casa Nova or Casa Nostra??

Casa Nova........

• Advertisement
Advertisement