Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Residency FAQ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

seamus1980 wrote: »
    So how hard is it to become a permanent resident of canada?I am a qualified plumber aged 34,i have never been to canada.What would the total cost be roughly?Thanks all

Not sure about all avenues but they have a new express entry thing where you need to qualify as a skilled worker.

You can find out if your profession is listed on here:
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/noc.asp

Plumber seems to be class B, which should qualify.

They have a questionnaire you can fill in that will tell you if you are likely to qualify which you can try fill in here:
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/ee-start.asp

It has one section about a language competency test that you need to take, I haven't looked into it yet but I assume you need to take it before they'll let you in as the questionnaire will automatically fail you without it.

That questionnaire is just a guide and isn't part of the application process, it's just to help you judge if you are eligible.

They are claiming that the new express entry applications will take no more than 6 months, but we'll have to wait and see if they manage to live up to their word on that. New systems like that always have hiccups so I would expect the worst.

Not sure about price, haven't looked into that end of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Hi all,

So I missed the cut for PR under the old system and have just had my application returned.

I'm here in Canada on an IEC visa - non extendable. I have 8 months left.

I'm NOC code 0711.

I have set up an Express Entry profile also.

Problem is, because I didn't need an LMIA under IEC, my express entry score is low, I don't think I'll make the cut without my employer doing an LMIA.

I have 2.5 years valid work experience in Canada.

The LMIA will give an extra 600 points and allow me to get a work permit, in case the EE does not draw and approve me within my remaining 8 months.

Is anybody else in a similar situation?

So frustrated. When they returned my forms I'm missing some of them, and they also returned a Guy from vancouver's application to me, which wasn't very professional of them.

I have reached out to the Vancouver guy and am mailing him his forms this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nadine14

Jonty,

I believe a lot of people are in the same situation now. We also missed the cut for PR and are currently considering applying for EE. Exact same situation as yourself in regards to needing extra points. My husbands company want to keep him on but have told him that if he goes down the EE route that they will not be selecting him from the list due to the Alberta economy crumbling meaning they do not need any workers let alone a foreign worker.

Nadine14 wrote: »
    Jonty,

I believe a lot of people are in the same situation now. We also missed the cut for PR and are currently considering applying for EE. Exact same situation as yourself in regards to needing extra points. My husbands company want to keep him on but have told him that if he goes down the EE route that they will not be selecting him from the list due to the Alberta economy crumbling meaning they do not need any workers let alone a foreign worker.

What I will say is to get the EE profile up and running, the first draw is shortly.

Just feel a little disappointed, plus receiving somebody else's forms, not very happy about that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

EE is still a very very new system.

I had a consultation with an immigration lawyer, she mentioned that it might be subject to some changes along the way. From what I have read, Canada expects to take in 85,000 successful applications for PR this year, and the first draw only sent out 779.

It's a tough situation for a lot of people, myself included, I was just laid off from my job 2 weeks ago and they were sponsoring me, so i am in a bit of limbo in relation to the PNP route, but if I do get another job then there is possibility of me transferring my application to that job.

There are also different routes as well that can help people, from what I have seen many were going through the CEC route, mainly the old route which has no filled up. But there is also FSW route as well.

The new system is far harder than before, but has been implemented to benefit Canada more, along with its economy. Many have felt that its a bit of a slap in the face, but its clearly not a personal issue, its also immigration law, which isn't fun either!

Keep the chin up, I only have until July to get some form of process running for me, I am applying under FSW route now as my NOC code is in high demand as I work mainly in the tech area, which is booming now in Vancouver and BC.

Best of luck to everyone with this, its gonna be a long few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Just got my open work permit as part of my PR application! Good for 2 more years while the rest is processed

Absolutely delighted but think it was down to pulling a few strings last month which isn't really fair

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

COYVB wrote: »
    Just got my open work permit as part of my PR application! Good for 2 more years while the rest is processed

Absolutely delighted but think it was down to pulling a few strings last month which isn't really fair

Congrats man. When did you apply for this? Did you get confirmation through email or post? I have PR and am nominating the missus, we sent off the application about a month ago via mail to Vegreville, AB. We applied for the PR last July, should have been 8 months is now 25 months. They're working on applications from September 2013, a complete joke.

I applied Feb 2014, but I had someone expedite it at a federal government level for me. The work permit literally just arrived in the post. No correspondence from them beyond that.

I believe I'm now looking at around 8 months till PR comes in given how I was jumped forward. Make no difference though... Open work permit is good for 2 full years so I'd imagine things will be sorted by then. Maybe. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

I applied Feb 2014, but I had someone expedite it at a federal government level for me. The work permit literally just arrived in the post. No correspondence from them beyond that.

I believe I'm now looking at around 8 months till PR comes in given how I was jumped forward. Make no difference though... Open work permit is good for 2 full years so I'd imagine things will be sorted by then. Maybe. Lol

I sincerely hope so, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭andyd12

HI guys, Im an irish guy living in Van, Canada.

I work as a plumber, and have for the guts of the 19/20 months I have been here.
    My NOC code is 7251.

My WHV ends in June and I am currently working on my PR application. Im doing my express entry profile at the moment.

Just on the LMIA issue. Are people applying for these or are they not bothering due to the expense for their employer?
    Would an LMIA be able to be obtained reasonably quick, if I had to get one? I have started my express entry already so am against the clock on that, basically could I obtain one before my express entry deadline?

Can someone help please, thanks

• Advertisement

Firstly, what's your current status in Canada? If you're on a LMIA currently, you'll have it automatically extended under implied acceptance until a decision has been reached on your PR, assuming your PR is filed for before the expiration of your current work permit. If you're on the IEC thing, I'm not fully sure how that works TBH, it may not be extendable, even with implied acceptance.

LMIAs take a couple of months, but they're apparently incredibly difficult to get granted at the moment - loads of folks having absolutely no luck from what I know... and the grand and whatever it costs is non-refundable, so I think a lot of employers are just not bothering given the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

andyd12 wrote: »
    HI guys, Im an irish guy living in Van, Canada.

I work as a plumber, and have for the guts of the 19/20 months I have been here.
    My NOC code is 7251.

My WHV ends in June and I am currently working on my PR application. Im doing my express entry profile at the moment.

Just on the LMIA issue. Are people applying for these or are they not bothering due to the expense for their employer?
    Would an LMIA be able to be obtained reasonably quick, if I had to get one? I have started my express entry already so am against the clock on that, basically could I obtain one before my express entry deadline?

Can someone help please, thanks

You need an LMIA for EE as so far invitations have only been issued to people with about 800 points which means having an LMIA.

Your employer can get an LMIA for supporting a PR application for no cost

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/higher_skilled/permanent/index.shtml#tab2

however, this LMIA can not be used to get you a temporary work permit. If you want/need to get a TWP with the LMIA (called a dual intent LMIA), the fee has to be paid.

If you are currently on IEC, there is no way for this to extended and there's no implied status. So if you don't get a dual intent LMIA, you may have to stop working for a period.

The other option is to look at PNP, this will also get you 600 points under EE

http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/About-the-BC-PNP/Express-Entry-British-Columbia.aspx

Either way, I think you are cutting it a bit fine for getting it done by June. Do you have the English test booked or done yet?

You've to do an English test in BC? Even from a native English speaking country?

You've to do an English test in BC? Even from a native English speaking country?

You have to do an English test for EE.

That's ridiculous for native English speakers

Firstly, what's your current status in Canada? If you're on a LMIA currently, you'll have it automatically extended under implied acceptance until a decision has been reached on your PR, assuming your PR is filed for before the expiration of your current work permit. If you're on the IEC thing, I'm not fully sure how that works TBH, it may not be extendable, even with implied acceptance.

LMIAs take a couple of months, but they're apparently incredibly difficult to get granted at the moment - loads of folks having absolutely no luck from what I know... and the grand and whatever it costs is non-refundable, so I think a lot of employers are just not bothering given the risk.

Im on a 2yr IEC visa.Thanks for the help!

English test is passed and received also, thanks

How long would an LMIA take to get? I have started my EE profie so am against the clock with that

andyd12 wrote: »
    How long would an LMIA take to get? I have started my EE profie so am against the clock with that

I would reckon about 2 months (at least) for LMIA - the job has to be advertised for at least a month and there's processing time on top of that too.

I would definitely recommend you look at the PNP, as this does not require an LMIA and from what I've heard, PNP nominations are being granted within 4 weeks of application.

Know a couple of people who went the PNP route and it seems a pretty straightforward one. Took more than 4 weeks though - last guy got it last year after about 9 months

• Advertisement

Know a couple of people who went the PNP route and it seems a pretty straightforward one. Took more than 4 weeks though - last guy got it last year after about 9 months

Yeah that was pre-Express Entry. With BC PNP under Express Entry, they are approving nominations in about 4 weeks at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 massey1355

Hi guys, I'm in a tricky enough situation. I've recently returned from Canada to Ireland to take up a new job here at home. I'm thinking that was a bit of a mistake and I think I'd like to return to Toronto at some point this year.

I was on the IEC working holiday visa, and that is still valid until October 2015. That isn't much use to me if I wanted to move back out in the summer though.

Do I have any option of moving back to Canada? If so, what are they?

I work in the media/communications. I can't get the Young Professionals visa because I took the IEC visa apparently. I do qualify for a British passport, but I know that isn't legal to apply for an IEC on that.

Any help much appreciated.

Express entry

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

I agree that anyone coming to Canada, particularly anyone not a citizen of the country, needs to be very careful about being law-abiding. That is even though there are waivers available for non-citizens with criminal records (except those sentenced to life imprisonment for an offence that, under Canadian or foreign law, equates to an offence under Canada's Criminal Code).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nmafox

Hi everyone. I'm currently in Vancouver on the two year Canadian Experience Class working permit. The permit expires on May 2nd 2015. I want to stay on as a worker until August 2015. I had applied for my Permanent Residency in November but my application was returned as the quota was reached. The new application process is the Express Entry. I have two questions. 1: Is there any way I can extend my stay as a worker until August 2015 without applying through Express Entry? and 2: Once I complete my Express Entry profile does this mean my application has been submitted? Many thanks Nicola

Hi everyone. I'm currently in Vancouver on the two year Canadian Experience Class working permit. The permit expires on May 2nd 2015. I want to stay on as a worker until August 2015. I had applied for my Permanent Residency in November but my application was returned as the quota was reached. The new application process is the Express Entry. I have two questions. 1: Is there any way I can extend my stay as a worker until August 2015 without applying through Express Entry? and 2: Once I complete my Express Entry profile does this mean my application has been submitted? Many thanks

Hello Everyone. I'm currently in Vancouver on the two year Canadian Experience Class working permit.
    The permit expires on May 2nd 2015. I want to stay on as a worker until August 2015.
    I had applied for my Permanent Residency in November but my application was returned as the quota was reached.
    The new application process is the Express Entry. I have two questions. 1: Is there any way I can extend my stay as a worker until August 2015 without applying through Express Entry? and 2: Once I complete my Express Entry profile does this mean my application has been submitted?

nmafox wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm currently in Vancouver on the two year Canadian Experience Class working permit.

You mean IEC? CEC is a PR class. Or do you mean some other temporary work permit.

The permit expires on May 2nd 2015. I want to stay on as a worker until August 2015. I had applied for my Permanent Residency in November but my application was returned as the quota was reached. The new application process is the Express Entry. I have two questions. 1: Is there any way I can extend my stay as a worker until August 2015 without applying through Express Entry? and 2: Once I complete my Express Entry profile does this mean my application has been submitted? Many thanks Nicola

IEC permits cannot be extended. Other permits may be extendable.

When you submit EE profile, then you need to wait to be invited to apply.

Hi Circular flexing thanks for coming back to me. Yes, sorry I meant to say I'm on the IEC permit. Once I apply for my EE am I then free to sit and wait to be invited to apply. Even after my current permit expires can I still remain until I am told otherwise. I was thinking that if I wait until just before my current permit expires and then complete my EE profile that buys me at least another 60 days in the country does it not?

• Advertisement

nmafox wrote: »
    Hi Circular flexing thanks for coming back to me. Yes, sorry I meant to say I'm on the IEC permit. Once I apply for my EE am I then free to sit and wait to be invited to apply. Even after my current permit expires can I still remain until I am told otherwise. I was thinking that if I wait until just before my current permit expires and then complete my EE profile that buys me at least another 60 days in the country does it not?

No it doesn't. IEC permits are not extendable and do not carry any implied status whatsoever.

In order to get a new work permit, you would need to get an LMIA. You could then use the LMIA to get a temp work permit while waiting for the PR to be completed. You would need to get an LMIA anyway, as at the moment, the points are such that only those with LMIA are being invited to apply.

Advertisement