Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Residency FAQ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Ok just spoke to CIC and thought I would put the information here for peeps.

I am on the IEC visa programme and it expires in early March 2015. My permanent residency application has been submitted since Feb 2014.

Since my PR application is only "In Process" I cannot apply for an Open Work Permit until it gets implied acceptance. Also it needs to be in Implied Acceptance status over 4 months from my visa expiration otherwise I may not get the OWP in time.

The other option would be to get an LMO from my employer which probably won't happen as my position is not in short supply(Sys Admin).
    Once my current visa expires I have to stop working and cannot apply for an reissue of my work permit for 90 days.

The kicker for me aswell is that my PR application was in "Application Received" status until I emailed them on Monday and then it suddenly changed status to "In Process". :(

My only real hope is for my application to move pretty quick now which probably won't happen.

The good news is that you've changed to in process, apparently from that point it can be quite fast be approved in principle! I'm also happy at this because I applied in February too. Not that you care but yay

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Energizer_Bat

Haha, thanks. The advise was very much appreciated as you may have helped me avoid a disaster.

All i can do is wait. Also my work is going to help in anyway possible.

Haha, thanks. The advise was very much appreciated as you may have helped me avoid a disaster.

All i can do is wait. Also my work is going to help in anyway possible.

They've upped the cost of an LMO to $1000 this year, which is insane (i got one in March 2013 that cost something like $250), but there's probably a route you can take to get you through the few months if needed. I'm sure someone here will have done ideas. There's almost always a (legal) workaround

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Energizer_Bat

Yep, My work will talk to their immigration lawyer and we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

For anyone doing PNP like myself here in BC, the processing times have gone up to 10 months or so now, thats almost double now in 4 weeks or so.

My application should be in by end of month, so it will be tight for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭vwgolfmk504

hey guys, just beginning the pr process now, does anyone know about this express entry route? As in should I Just wait until it comes in In January 2015? I doubt ill be able to get everything done before then..

When this comes in does that mean the old/current process is completely gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shaggy008

Sorry if this has been answered already I need to clarify. I am thinking about applying for PR. My current IEC visa expires in May 2015. Is my best option to apply to extend my current visa and apply for PR ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Shaggy008 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered already I need to clarify. I am thinking about applying for PR. My current IEC visa expires in May 2015. Is my best option to apply to extend my current visa and apply for PR ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You cannot extend an IEC and they don't have implied status. Once your IEC expires, you would no longer be allowed to work but you could change your status to visitor while waiting for PR. You should apply for PR now.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

Hi,

My BF and I are applying for the CEC this month - using my BF as chief applicant as he has a trade and so is a 'stronger' applicant. I am listed as his dependent (common law partner). My boyfriend is a plumber. I am in finance/admin. We have been working here since May 2013 on the IEC. As of May this year though, admin assistants are not an accepted profession under the CEC. Just wondering, how is the common law partner affected if we are doing it through my boyfriend and his profession is approved. I am guessing I am okay- for example if we applied under the skilled workers, I could work and not be expected to work in trades/construction..... anyone apply for PR through their other half and work in different areas? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Shaggy008

hey guys, just beginning the pr process now, does anyone know about this express entry route? As in should I Just wait until it comes in In January 2015? I doubt ill be able to get everything done before then..

When this comes in does that mean the old/current process is completely gone?

Hi vwgolfmk504,

Im at the same stage as you. The only information I have about this express entry is this link in the title above.

Very little information is available although they say this process is based online and will take about 6 months to process. I have consulted some agency about waiting for this and they are to get back to me shortly, even they say are not quiet sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Priv98

meelyb wrote: »
    Hi,

My BF and I are applying for the CEC this month - using my BF as chief applicant as he has a trade and so is a 'stronger' applicant. I am listed as his dependent (common law partner). My boyfriend is a plumber. I am in finance/admin. We have been working here since May 2013 on the IEC. As of May this year though, admin assistants are not an accepted profession under the CEC. Just wondering, how is the common law partner affected if we are doing it through my boyfriend and his profession is approved. I am guessing I am okay- for example if we applied under the skilled workers, I could work and not be expected to work in trades/construction..... anyone apply for PR through their other half and work in different areas? Thanks :)

Hi Meelyb

Sorry for going off topic. My husband is a plumber, he is looking for work in Canada. Can your boyfriend help with contacts of companies that are looking for plumbers? We are looking for a company that can provide LMO/LMIA. Thank you in advance

...or who have a valid job offer
    Express Entry candidates with a valid job offer or provincial/territorial nomination will quickly receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/employers/express-entry-sheet.asp

I have been following the stuff in relation for EE lately, as it is getting close to me having enough experience to apply.

I couldn't apply before end of year because I was short of the experience, EE seems like a totally different ball game and I am thinking about getting a consultation from a lawyer to weigh up my options, my job have also offered to sponsor me but current BC PNP times are up near 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Sacramento wrote: »

Herein lies another issue thought with EE, its really not very clear on some quite important things.

No mention at all about bridging permits, which for some people (like me) is of some importance as my visa is up next July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Arainn03

Hi,

I am submitting my BC PNP application next week but with the processing times increased to around 9 months I won't have the acceptance from PNP before my IEC visa expires in May. My understanding is that you need to have the PNP acceptance and a work support letter from them before you can apply for the bridging visa. Is there any other option available so that I can extend my visa or get a temporary one so that I can keep working?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Arainn03 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am submitting my BC PNP application next week but with the processing times increased to around 9 months I won't have the acceptance from PNP before my IEC visa expires in May. My understanding is that you need to have the PNP acceptance and a work support letter from them before you can apply for the bridging visa. Is there any other option available so that I can extend my visa or get a temporary one so that I can keep working?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

It can depend, if your job can get an LMIA for you then you can get an extension, but these cost $1,000, and can be a minefield for employers to get.

You can also apply through EE as well, but there has been no mention of bridging visas as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Arainn03

Yeah heard that it is tricky. Thanks for the response. Best wishes for 2015 :-)

Up to 16 months wait for phase 1 of inland applications now. Complete joke. Was 8 months when I applied in Feb last year and in those eleven months they've managed to get through a whoppong great 3 months of applications. So much for speeding things up by moving everything to Mississauga...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 JuicyJim

Hey guys, slightly non-related but kida urgent and I'd appreciate any advice on this:

I have 9 months left on my 2 year working holiday visa, I've only managed to get a proper job that falls under the PR categories recently, and won't have 12 months amounted in time. Do you reckon PR is out the window?

Also, more importantly; I have Australian citizenship and an Australian passport, so do you reckon reckon there's much scope in getting another 2 years with my Australian passport? Would that be feasible/possible at all? Any replies would be immensely appreciated...thanks guys!

JuicyJim wrote: »
    Hey guys, slightly non-related but kida urgent and I'd appreciate any advice on this:

I have 9 months left on my 2 year working holiday visa, I've only managed to get a proper job that falls under the PR categories recently, and won't have 12 months amounted in time. Do you reckon PR is out the window?

Also, more importantly; I have Australian citizenship and an Australian passport, so do you reckon reckon there's much scope in getting another 2 years with my Australian passport? Would that be feasible/possible at all? Any replies would be immensely appreciated...thanks guys!

You can apply for another IEC visa with your aussie passport I believe.

Also, depending on your NOC code, you may qualify un the FSW class.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stevplum

Hi all, this whole pr thing seems to be a real complication and very unclear no matter what avenue anyone picks.
    I am here a little over four months now on a working holiday visa.
    I am unclear as to the requirements for me to apply for pr and what route I can take when I decide to apply for pr.
    I am a flooring installer( I think this is on the list of trades but not sure). I have a full time job since the day I landed with the same company. I am moving on well in the company and the boss of the company has told me if I need any sort of help,paper work, sponsorship, I have it from them.
    At what stage can I apply for pr and what avenue is best for me to take?.
    Any help on clarifying this for me would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Hi,
    I am currently on an LMO visa which expires in June this year. After marrying a Canadian I applied for PR in January 2014 through spousal sponsorship. The wait time for this has doubled to 25 months since I applied so it looks like I'll have to apply for yet another visa to extend my stay while I wait. However I'm struggling to find anyone who can tell me what to apply for in this situation. My best guess is the "Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker" application.

Is any one here in a similar situation or knows which is the correct application?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

pd101 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am currently on an LMO visa which expires in June this year. After marrying a Canadian I applied for PR in January 2014 through spousal sponsorship. The wait time for this has doubled to 25 months since I applied so it looks like I'll have to apply for yet another visa to extend my stay while I wait. However I'm struggling to find anyone who can tell me what to apply for in this situation. My best guess is the "Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker" application.

Is any one here in a similar situation or knows which is the correct application?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

You could withdraw your inland application and apply through the London office where the wait times are much shorter (just because you are in Canada does not mean you have to apply through the Canada office).

Or there is this pilot program (I don't know the details of how to apply)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-launches-pilot-program-for-spouses-waiting-for-permanent-residency-1.2881460

stevplum wrote: »
    Hi all, this whole pr thing seems to be a real complication and very unclear no matter what avenue anyone picks.
    I am here a little over four months now on a working holiday visa.
    I am unclear as to the requirements for me to apply for pr and what route I can take when I decide to apply for pr.
    I am a flooring installer( I think this is on the list of trades but not sure). I have a full time job since the day I landed with the same company. I am moving on well in the company and the boss of the company has told me if I need any sort of help,paper work, sponsorship, I have it from them.
    At what stage can I apply for pr and what avenue is best for me to take?.
    Any help on clarifying this for me would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Since Express Entry, PR based on economic reasons is now in three categories

CEC - needs one year of work experience in Canada in a skill that is in NOC 0/A/B
    PNP - be nominated by a province, each province varies it's requirements to be accpeted.
    FSW - have skills in NOC 0/A/B that Canada needs.

CEC/FSW applications now require a positive LMIA. For this, your employer has to advertise your job nationally for four weeks and prove that no Canadians are suitable for it. The criteria has become a lot more stringent to the point where an employer has to list people who applied and the reason why they were not suitable. It also costs $1000 which the employer has to pay and has to be paid whether the LMIA is granted or not.

PNP doesn't require an LMIA, but the processing times are quite long.

The Come to Canada checklist should give you an idea of your options, especially if you play around with the answers.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/cometocanada.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stevplum

Thanks circular flexing, at what stage can I apply for either of the last 2 you mentioned if I was to go that way?.

You can apply for PNP/FSW at any stage - CEC is the only one that requires Canadian experience.

Looks like you are in Ontario - this is the PNP process for there

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPWORKERS.html

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Gonzo_Reporter

Hi all.

There are plenty of schemes and programes that allow you to stay in Canada, I'm in Calgary myself, but they really don't make it easy. Sure an LMO is the golden ticket but in my experience they are hard to come buy. When even the likes of Tim Horton and Mc Donalds are not applying for them (for this year anyways) it's hard to believe they want anyone here. It's all paved with good intentions but I've just become a little disillusioned.
    Currently I am trying to get my girlfriend, common law spouse in this case, an extension on her work visa. I am half way through my WTV in a NOC skilled job for nearly a year (yet earning less than the market average), my employer won't apply for an LMO, same goes for her employer, for all the usual reasons. So without that she is applying for an Open Work Permit as a spouse of a Skilled Worker. If that fails, in a few months I'll qualify for the CEC/Federal Skilled Worker Program and shall apply for that (and wait a year for it!) as it doesn't require an LMO. This is a long way of getting to my point about the EE.

With LMO's being like gold dust and it encompasses the CEC but from what I'm reading it doesn't seem right/fair that I now need LMO as part of the application. Am I miss interpreting something?

Anyone know if there is an exemption to this?

EDIT: So after interpreting the EE explanation differently you don't really need an LMIA but lose out on getting extra points for no have one... getting to grips with this thing now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

So how hard is it to become a permanent resident of canada?I am a qualified plumber aged 34,i have never been to canada.What would the total cost be roughly?Thanks all

Advertisement