Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Residency FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Did anyone ever get a rebate for their medical exam with the provincial health care provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Neither of us have LIMA at the moment. We already have the application submitted and we are in the pool waiting. I don't think you can change who the main applicant is after it's submitted. We are both equally qualified and in the same field so we pretty much drew straws for who to put as the main applicant. If we end up having to go the LIMA route it would be handy if either of us getting work would effect the application, I assume that's not possible tho, but said I'd ask just in case.

You can apply through your partners CIC account and have profile in their name too with you as the spouse. If you both happen to get ITA you can decline one. At least the bill of the paperwork will be done on the chance your partner gets a LMIA. The only downside is shelling out for another English test so they can apply too. (But it'll be a few points more on both profiles as the spouse has the test done)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

JenL wrote: »
    You can apply through your partners CIC account and have profile in their name too with you as the spouse. If you both happen to get ITA you can decline one. At least the bill of the paperwork will be done on the chance your partner gets a LMIA. The only downside is shelling out for another English test so they can apply too. (But it'll be a few points more on both profiles as the spouse has the test done)

Another English test and another educational assessment if applying under FSW (which you would be unless you have 1+ years of Canadian work experience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

JenL wrote: »

We both have the english test and the educational assessment anyway, so wouldn't make a difference on that front.

Just to make sure I'm picking you up correctly. It's totally fine to have two applications running at the same time, one with me as the main applicant and him as the spouse and another with him as the main applicant and me as the spouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irlcad

Hi all, does anyone have a link to the exact steps required by the employer when doing an LMIA?

As in documents they must provide, how long a job ad must run for, additional justification for choosing a foreign employee etc etc

Thanks

• Advertisement

irlcad wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone have a link to the exact steps required by the employer when doing an LMIA?

As in documents they must provide, how long a job ad must run for, additional justification for choosing a foreign employee etc etc

Thanks

It's all in the form

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eforms/forms/esdc-emp5602(2015-09-004)e.pdf

A nice summary on how the Express Entry system is doing since it's introduction in January.

http://moving2canada.com/immigration-to-canada/express-entry-draw-18/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irlcad

Another English test and another educational assessment if applying under FSW (which you would be unless you have 1+ years of Canadian work experience)

Hi, what's the significance of having worked one year or more in Canada? More EE points, pushing you over the 500 mark? Thanks

irlcad wrote: »
    Hi, what's the significance of having worked one year or more in Canada? More EE points, pushing you over the 500 mark? Thanks

You get a few more points for have a year's work experience in Canada and you also qualify for the Canadian Experience Class stream of EE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

newwan wrote: »
    I am applying to do postgraduate medical training in canada. Does anyone know anything about the visa or perm residence status required for that?

I would say, at a minimum, anyone looking to study in Canada, but without the country's citizenship or permanent resident status, will have to apply for a study visa. My brother had to do the same before being allowed to enter the US to begin his PhD studies. He did apply under a simplified procedure available to Canadian citizens otherwise not entitled to live in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Manitoba2015

Hey i am in the process of doing the express entry i will give you a low down of my prices so far. All in canadian $

Express entry processing fee 550

Then there is right of PR fe 490
    I paid these to together upfront you can pay separately.
    Celpip English Test -265
    Canadian Medical Upfront Non EDE Worker-330

Just over 2 months in and its going good if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. if i can help i will.:)

Hey i am in the process of doing the express entry i will give you a low down of my prices so far. All in canadian $

Celpip English Test -265

Just over 2 months in and its going good if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. if i can help i will.:)

At what point do you have to pay the processing fee and the right of PR fee?

At what point do you have to pay the processing fee and the right of PR fee?

You have to pay the processing fee upfront as soon as you submit your application it's rough $550 ... You are also giving the option of paying the rprf also so that's another $480 roughly. I decided to pay both my fees upfront.. But if you choose to pay just processing fee your rprf comes as a request usually after your initial review of eligibility is done which can be anything from 2 weeks to 2 months.. Cec route for a straight forward case is averaging 2/4 months which is crazy quick for pr.. My own case is in the final checks now and I hope for a decision in the next month to 6 weeks.. Any more questions feel free to ask if I can help I will:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

You have to pay the processing fee upfront as soon as you submit your application it's rough $550 ... You are also giving the option of paying the rprf also so that's another $480 roughly. I decided to pay both my fees upfront.. But if you choose to pay just processing fee your rprf comes as a request usually after your initial review of eligibility is done which can be anything from 2 weeks to 2 months.. Cec route for a straight forward case is averaging 2/4 months which is crazy quick for pr.. My own case is in the final checks now and I hope for a decision in the next month to 6 weeks.. Any more questions feel free to ask if I can help I will:)

Surprised to see it's so quick now. I waited eleven months for COPR after paying my RPRF.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Surprised to see it's so quick now. I waited eleven months for COPR after paying my RPRF.

New express entry buddy awful hard to meet what's expected but once you do it's a quick process.. Hoping have ppr in coming weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Does anyone know if one is nominated by a province is one legally obligated to stay in that province?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jamie1983

Hi all,

quick question in regards to the medical for CEC. I'm due to do it next week and am a little bit worried about it.

Firstly I suffer from a mental health issue (an anxiety disorder which I have received some treatment for while in Canada. Will this count against me or be a possibility to be disqualified?

Also on my medical history over here there is an admission of cannabis use? Any thoughts on whether this will be a problem?

Thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Hi, I applied for a got a Manitoba nomination. I live in Winnipeg. I've sent off my application and am just waiting on word back. I expect I should get it. Anyway, question is:
    Since I applied through the nomination program, am I tied to MB for any length of time of can I free roam to BC or Van or wherever?

Jamie1983 wrote: »
    Hi all,

quick question in regards to the medical for CEC. I'm due to do it next week and am a little bit worried about it.

Firstly I suffer from a mental health issue (an anxiety disorder which I have received some treatment for while in Canada. Will this count against me or be a possibility to be disqualified?

Also on my medical history over here there is an admission of cannabis use? Any thoughts on whether this will be a problem?

Thanks

The cost of your ongoing treatment will be assessed the treatment cost can't exceed $6387 per year

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/admiss/excessive.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jamie1983

Jamie1983 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Anyone have any experience or insights on the above. My medical is next week, would like to know what I'm facing!

Thanks

Physical exam, urine , blood, x Ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Celpip English Test -265

Thanks for the info. I'm in Ireland and sitting the IELTS shortly. Is the list you've outlined above applicable here also? Should I be attempting to apply for work before getting IELTS & Qualification Assessments finalised? What would you consider a minimum CA$ salary for living in VA - sharing apartment?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I never applied for PR, but have you ever been on a WHV, northgirl? I'd imagine it's tricky to get PR without a job offer. The criteria are quite high, and I think you lose out on a significant amount of points if you don't have a job offer. Most people tend to apply either on the back of a job offer, or because they're already in Canada on a WHV, in my experience.
    northgirl wrote: »
    What would you consider a minimum CA$ salary for living in VA - sharing apartment?

Sharing a 1-bed with a partner: I'd expect ~$1500 per month in a desirable area for the apartment the way things are (so $750 each). A room in a house-share looks really expensive right now too. I'm seeing figures like $900+ for kits or downtown, $700 for near Commercial Drive or Main street, and $550+ for further out in east van.

If you were to aim for one-third of your net salary on rent, you'd be looking for a gross minimum of $25,000 to share in a further out, less desirable, [generally] more run-down area, up to gross ~$40,000 for sharing a place downtown or in Kits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Faith wrote: »
    I never applied for PR, but have you ever been on a WHV, northgirl? I'd imagine it's tricky to get PR without a job offer. The criteria are quite high, and I think you lose out on a significant amount of points if you don't have a job offer. Most people tend to apply either on the back of a job offer, or because they're already in Canada on a WHV, in my experience.

Sharing a 1-bed with a partner: I'd expect ~$1500 per month in a desirable area for the apartment the way things are (so $750 each). A room in a house-share looks really expensive right now too. I'm seeing figures like $900+ for kits or downtown, $700 for near Commercial Drive or Main street, and $550+ for further out in east van.

If you were to aim for one-third of your net salary on rent, you'd be looking for a gross minimum of $25,000 to share in a further out, less desirable, [generally] more run-down area, up to gross ~$40,000 for sharing a place downtown or in Kits.

Hi Faith,

Thanks for the very detailed reply. I'm not on a WHV and I don't have a job offer. I have completed the eligibility tests which indicated that I may be eligible so I decided to give it a shot. I know I am probably setting myself up to fail but I feel that if I don't try I will always wonder.

I do have a lot of work experience behind me and a Masters Degree in my field and I'm just somewhat hopeful that if I can do well enough with the IELTS, the combination might get me into the pool.

If you really don't think I have a breeze then I'll be sad.. :o but I'll live. Anyway the exam is in the next couple of weeks so it's paid for now and then I'll have my credentials assessed.

Really great to hear the information on the apartment sharing costs. I'll be by myself if I go but I think I've bigger hurdles to overcome before I get to those by the sounds of it. :)

northgirl wrote: »
    Hi Faith,

Thanks for the very detailed reply. I'm not on a WHV and I don't have a job offer. I have completed the eligibility tests which indicated that I may be eligible so I decided to give it a shot. I know I am probably setting myself up to fail but I feel that if I don't try I will always wonder.

I do have a lot of work experience behind me and a Masters Degree in my field and I'm just somewhat hopeful that if I can do well enough with the IELTS, the combination might get me into the pool.

If you really don't think I have a breeze then I'll be sad.. :o but I'll live. Anyway the exam is in the next couple of weeks so it's paid for now and then I'll have my credentials assessed.

Really great to hear the information on the apartment sharing costs. I'll be by myself if I go but I think I've bigger hurdles to overcome before I get to those by the sounds of it. :)

You can work out your points total on this site

http://www.bellallianceglobal.com/CRS-Score-Calculator

You need to be scoring about 480-490 at the moment to have a chance of being selected but the last few draws have been quite high points, it has been as low as ~450 at the start of the year - previous draws are here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/rounds.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

You can work out your points total on this site

You need to be scoring about 480-490 at the moment to have a chance of being selected but the last few draws have been quite high points, it has been as low as ~450 at the start of the year - previous draws are here

You get 600 points for arranged employment is that right ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Charizard wrote: »
    You get 600 points for arranged employment is that right ??

600 points for a valid LMIA or PNP. Needs to meet very specific criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Orndog

Hi everyone,

Myself and my husband are moving to Vancouver this month on the IEC visa but intend to apply for permanent residency within a few months of arriving (assuming we like Canada!).

Has anyone used an immigration agent to apply or spoken to an agent for advice? Do you think it is necessary?

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Apologies if this is a silly/obvious question, but can you apply for an Express Entry from outside Canada?

Advertisement