Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I did send them a message - but it was at 8:30pm so I presume they're not checking their emails right now - you could perhaps mention it to them again also in the morning maybe.

All credit to you banie - it is much easier to get to the target (and maybe surpass it by a bit) when you have a few people throwing in a few quid...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭This is it

Sure, will see what I can do :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

also donated!

Did you ask about getting a site wide announcement on boards?

Eoin wrote: »
    also donated!

Did you ask about getting a site wide announcement on boards?

Yup and Niamh has responded that they'd be happy to do a sponsored post on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Looking good, a few people donating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Yep. Rocketing along already. I donated earlier. Fingers crossed! Fair play Thirdfox for doing this!

Paddy Courtney donated too :D - he's the bartender in Yu Ming... "I didn't know ol'Paddy could speak Chinese" :pac:

And actually - if some posters could mention this prize draw up on TZ and WUS that would be great too - though I'm not sure we'll get many donations from abroad perhaps the chance to win a watch for $11/£8 might be a draw to some people...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/supporting-alone-with-solas-solace - is the link btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

I'm in too! Fair play with the charity initiative and well done with all the work on the watches so far, hope you raise a bundle for Alone.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    And actually - if some posters could mention this prize draw up on TZ and WUS that would be great too - though I'm not sure we'll get many donations from abroad perhaps the chance to win a watch for $11/£8 might be a draw to some people...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/supporting-alone-with-solas-solace - is the link btw.

Oh and in addition to that - you should see the sponsored post going up on some of the biggest sub-forums on boards:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058083916

Thanks for all the support so far on the initiative guys - perhaps you could leave a post on the thread reassuring people that yes this is a real thing (though hopefully it having the support of boards.ie should give it some credibility too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Just donated to bring total to over the 500. Well done to all, think it can go over the 1000 mark easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've attempted to donate 4 times now on 2 different browsers and it never completes the donation.

I'll try again later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I've attempted to donate 4 times now on 2 different browsers and it never completes the donation.

I'll try again later.

There is a sperm donor joke in there somewhere

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Getting a bit of traction there now, won't be long until you get to 1000 I reckon.

If not already done so I'll put a link in WUS.

Perhaps having a paypal payment option might help. I presume the raffle is open to outside Ireland?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I'll try again later.

I got it sorted now.

It didn't like my postcode as it's not in their system - there is only 5 choices for post code when I enter the first three digits and none of them are correct. Putting in the correct Eircode breaks it without telling you what the problem is.

I got it sorted now.

It didn't like my postcode as it's not in their system - there is only 5 choices for post code when I enter the first three digits and none of them are correct. Putting in the correct Eircode breaks it without telling you what the problem is.

I had issues with that too, got it sorted eventually.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Getting a bit of traction there now, won't be long until you get to 1000 I reckon.

If not already done so I'll put a link in WUS.

Perhaps having a paypal payment option might help. I presume the raffle is open to outside Ireland?

Ah yeah - it's open to the whole world - I'll post out the watch anywhere if needs be. (Please don't be an Australian winner... :D )

...am kind of glad I will just be offering a fixed contribution now :o - might have been embarrassing otherwise!

I think gofundme takes credit/debit cards from across the world? They don't offer paypal though (and that will get messy real quick if I'm asking them to send money directly to me or something) - want something that 100% traceable and not too much work needed on my part.

This will give you a very good gauge on how the kick-starter will go.

I'm not certain that it does actually - I think most people know about Alone and are happy to support it - the prize draw is probably ancillary to the generosity of most Irish people. But this was purely done for a "feel good" factor for myself (if I can call it that) - not a huge cost to me but potential to do some good :)

Oh and some secret info just for this forum - my partners and I are tentatively saying we will get the watch down to 9.5mm for the production version... very tentative (and I don't want to make a promise I can't keep) - but that's what the design has right now. There are tolerances though and it may end up still at 9.7ish but let's keep our fingers crossed and hope the machinery works out.

By way of comparison - the lovely Beihai I have from Beijing watch factory is a 9.2mm as a manual wind - if the Starlight can get to 9.5m... - right now I can only promise <9.8mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I really want to win this now haha. The rose gold was my vote when you were deciding which to go for ;-)

• Advertisement

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I'm not certain that it does actually - I think most people know about Alone and are happy to support it - the prize draw is probably ancillary to the generosity of most Irish people. But this was purely done for a "feel good" factor for myself (if I can call it that) - not a huge cost to me but potential to do some good :)

You are a kind soul Thirdfox, and I love your faith in human kindness. I want the watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I want the watch :D

I'll fight ya for it!? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Going to be a big battle for it. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Whoever wins it.... will be a lucky person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

782 and counting - well done!

I've posted the links to the gofundme over on Reddit on r/Ireland and r/Watches.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/gxr9ms/sólás_a_great_way_to_help_a_worthy_charity_and/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source

Here's hoping that r/watches will bring some more entries and interest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

banie01 wrote: »
    I've posted the links to the gofundme over on Reddit on r/Ireland and r/Watches.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/gxr9ms/sólás_a_great_way_to_help_a_worthy_charity_and/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source

Here's hoping that r/watches will bring some more entries and interest ;)

I don't see the actual link to the go fund me page. Could it have been removed?

redlead wrote: »
    I don't see the actual link to the go fund me page. Could it have been removed?

I crossposted the r/Ireland post and it made a balls of the link.
    Will delete and repost a coherent one to r/watches now.

Thanks for the heads-up.

R/watches don't allow direct links or promotion of crowdfunders so cross-posting was how I tried to swing around that but it wrecks the link.

banie01 wrote: »
    I crossposted the r/Ireland post and it made a balls of the link.
    Will delete and repost a coherent one to r/watches now.

Thanks for the heads-up.

R/watches don't allow direct links or promotion of crowdfunders so cross-posting was how I tried to swing around that but it wrecks the link.

I'm hoping this will sneak past the R/watches Automod and mods ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/gxs2oi/sólás_a_great_way_to_help_a_very_worthy_charity/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

The r/Ireland link is https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/gxr6b7/throw_10_to_alone_and_have_the_added_bonus_of/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Hopefully they will gain some views and entries :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement