Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens vs Munster, Sat 20th April, 3pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He'll go head coach somewhere soon. But where? Will he look at international level and go as an assistant first.

His whole family have moved to NZ, I would expect him to stay for another 1-2 seasons or if Ireland maybe offered him a coaching role with the long term view of moving him up to head coach?

France new coaching team might make him offer either

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

POM and Beirne aren't that good, and Stander is very one dimensional these days.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Akrasia wrote: »
    lol

The only ones laughing are opposition coaches, cause they know how to nullify them easily. Reference the last few years of lost knock out games, or the recent 6Ns.

The only ones laughing are opposition coaches, cause they know how to nullify them easily. Reference the last few years of lost knock out games, or the recent 6Ns.

Even Wes Liddy said recently that Beirne might be too light for international rugby and against the top teams

You could hardly excuse him of not been a Munster supporter, normally he wants Ireland 1-15 from Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hopefully, Munster can get something out of Coombes and Jack Sullivan?
    I don't know how they'll do as pros, but they seem to have potential.
    JOD healthy for a year would be big too.
    The future still could be great for Munster.
    I think the squad is strong. But if they fail to alter the one dimensional attack system, they're plundered, imo.
    This may sound nuts, but what about Carberry to 12? I think he could do a job there.
    Even JJ could add to the attack. I think its worth a shot!

• Advertisement

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Hopefully, Munster can get something out of Coombes and Jack Sullivan?
    I don't know how they'll do as pros, but they seem to have potential.
    JOD healthy for a year would be big too.
    The future still could be great for Munster.
    I think the squad is strong. But if they fail to alter the one dimensional attack system, they're plundered, imo.
    This may sound nuts, but what about Carberry to 12? I think he could do a job there.
    Even JJ could add to the attack. I think its worth a shot!

Joey should be playing 15 but he is signed as a 10 and will play at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Akrasia wrote: »
    lol

PoM is still a serious operator and Stander is a good, if somewhat limited player. I have serious doubts about Beirne though. I don't think he has the power to play in the second row the way Munster and Ireland want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Another thing too, Kilcoyne, Archer and Ryan are getting on in age. As is Holland.
    There's a window of opportunity still, but these lads will most likely be finished in the next few years.
    I reckon Munster can still have a shot at the pro14. But, they would really have to front up like they did v Leinster in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Another thing too, Kilcoyne, Archer and Ryan are getting on in age. As is Holland.
    There's a window of opportunity still, but these lads will most likely be finished in the next few years.
    I reckon Munster can still have a shot at the pro14. But, they would really have to front up like they did v Leinster in December.

Only Holland is getting on, 34... Kilcoyne and Ryan are only 30... another 4-5 years ahead of them

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Clegg wrote: »
    PoM is still a serious operator and Stander is a good, if somewhat limited player. I have serious doubts about Beirne though. I don't think he has the power to play in the second row the way Munster and Ireland want.

Very worringly & not for the first time POM was anonymus on Saturday very poor from such a player also kicked the ball again hangs out on the wing altough he can't run and seems to kick it every time he gets it. I think he needs a summer off as doesn't look right at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

What munster fans should be worrying about is their outhalfs performance. He only is down for 1 run in the game which means either he was sitting deep and not taking the ball flat to the line or he wasn't imposing himself as a running threat putting more pressure on his outside runners. Sexton and Farrell both had over 10 runs each of you want to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think people can really give out too much about the number of carries from a variety of players....it's hard to carry the ball when the opposition have it. The game was played in the air around the fringes and Munster lost both battles fairly comprehensively.

I think the nature of the carries and lack of variety/changing the point of attack was an issue but the fact is that Saracens dominated the game becuase they're an excellent side. Half their team were starting for the Lions in the last test series. I don't think there's a more stacked team in Europe.

I do think Munster need a top class openside, inside centre and probably an upgrade at tighthead to be competitive but it's near impossible to find those players for the money available. I think they'll make one big signing....probably in the backs given they've recruited heavily up front already with Cloete, Beirne, Knox, Oliver and Botha all having been brought in over the last couple of years. I'd imagine they'll look to build on those guys.

I know Rory Scannell is a popular player with many Munster supporters but I simply do not see him ever being of the required level to compete at the top end. He's decent in a lot of elements but will not stand out in any single aspect. I see him as a less talented (pre-injury) Luke Marshall. A top quality 12 will assist the back line significantly but it won't make up for the one or two weaker spots up front. If Munster are struggling for physical dominance up front, it's not a playmaking option they need but

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Buer wrote: »
    I know Rory Scannell is a popular player with many Munster supporters but I simply do not see him ever being of the required level to compete at the top end. He's decent in a lot of elements but will not stand out in any single aspect. I see him as a less talented (pre-injury) Luke Marshall. A top quality 12 will assist the back line significantly but it won't make up for the one or two weaker spots up front. If Munster are struggling for physical dominance up front, it's not a playmaking option they need but

I have to disagree about Scanell. I think he's a great player. although i don't know that Munster are the right team for him. He was a 10 originally but ended up turning into a hard carrying 12. If the game plan was to play a more expansive game I think you'd see more from him.

I think it's the tactics that need to be changed rather than the squad.

In a way the issue is that there's such an expectation for immediate results every year that it's hard to really shake things up. If a few league results go wrong the temptation is to revert to type and grind out a few wins. Very hard to really bed in a new plan without an extended run and keeping the faith.

Rob Penny was pushing towards a more open game and there were signs of it starting to work before he was replaced. 2 semi finals wasn't it? Haven't done much better since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I have to disagree about Scanell. I think he's a great player. although i don't know that Munster are the right team for him. He was a 10 originally but ended up turning into a hard carrying 12. If the game plan was to play a more expansive game I think you'd see more from him.

I think it's the tactics that need to be changed rather than the squad.

In a way the issue is that there's such an expectation for immediate results every year that it's hard to really shake things up. If a few league results go wrong the temptation is to revert to type and grind out a few wins. Very hard to really bed in a new plan without an extended run and keeping the faith.

Rob Penny was pushing towards a more open game and there were signs of it starting to work before he was replaced. 2 semi finals wasn't it? Haven't done much better since.

Tactics are an issue but against Saracens, they weren't THE issue.

Saracens were rushing up in the 10-12 channel all day knowing that Munster didn't have the skill to flick it wide where there was space. Scannell is the weakness in that backline, too much ball dies in the midfield. He only had 9 passes in 80 minutes.

Rugby is not a complicated game, it's a big pitch with 15 players and you can't cover everywhere adequately. Every defense has a carefully selected vulnerability that you need to have the skills to attack. Saracens on the day decided to shift their vulnerability out wide knowing that Munster can't or won't attack there. They stacked the middle and rushed the edge and suffocated them. And then they won collisions and contestables repeatedly.

Saracens are a much better team but Munster should have been closer and would have been with a better second receiver.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    What munster fans should be worrying about is their outhalfs performance. He only is down for 1 run in the game which means either he was sitting deep and not taking the ball flat to the line or he wasn't imposing himself as a running threat putting more pressure on his outside runners. Sexton and Farrell both had over 10 runs each of you want to compare.

Blyendaal wasn’t good enough in 2017 and he is still not good enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,624 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Blyendaal wasn’t good enough in 2017 and he is still not good enough....
    And your whole team is in trouble if you do not have a good 10.
    I think it would have been a much different game if Carberry was fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

twinytwo wrote: »
    Well sarries have no fans.

Also after the qf. You couldnt get to coventry for less that 500 euro per person. Unless you took the ferry and drive

You def could, I flew Cork to Birmingham return for 155 !!! People expected us to lose so they didn’t bother going over !!

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think it would have been a much different game if Carberry was fit.

Dan Larkham-Wilkinson could have started at outhalf. It wouldn't have made much of a difference if they couldn't get their hands on any decent ball. Munster have also changed their plan such that their outhalf is used very sparingly this season. Murray completely runs the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    Dan Larkham-Wilkinson could have started at outhalf. It wouldn't have made much of a difference if they couldn't get their hands on any decent ball. Munster have also changed their plan such that their outhalf is used very sparingly this season. Murray completely runs the show.

Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer knows exactly who Munster need.

• Advertisement

Hmm...

It's ok to agree with me.

Try it. Go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just talking about Scannell, we had Arnold and Goggin available to play 12, both are strong physical carriers.
    I would have selected Goggin over Scannell against Saracens for the game-plan that was used.

If we used Scannell to throw skip passes then he would be worth keeping ahead of the others though.
    Scannell has a deceptive burst of speed, but the problem is it's wasted when he is only carrying a few steps into contact.
    I wonder would he be better playing in the wider channels?

For the future I would go with 12. Goggin, 13. Farrell,
    and backup would be 12. Arnold, 13. Scannell/Shane Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

RoG on OTB with Ger Gilroy discussing Zebo as one of the answers to Munsters problems because he brings xfactor

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    RoG on OTB with Ger Gilroy discussing Zebo as one of the answers to Munsters problems because he brings xfactor

I'd have to say bollocks to that. Zebo has turned to a blubbering mush this season.

troyzer wrote: »
    I'd have to say bollocks to that. Zebo has turned to a blubbering mush this season.

Seems to playing pretty well in fairness, scoring plenty of tries.

Seems to playing pretty well in fairness, scoring plenty of tries.

Have you actually watched him play? He's great at getting at the end of a try. But he's seriously overweight and really struggles defensively. He's also quite standoffish, even for a winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Zebo is a player who can create something from almost nothing... unfortunately, he's not going anywhere for another 2 + years...so it's not really worth discussing.... Munster probably need a big signing in the backs this summer.. just to elevate us a level above what we are right now

troyzer wrote: »
    Have you actually watched him play? He's great at getting at the end of a try. But he's seriously overweight and really struggles defensively. He's also quite standoffish, even for a winger.

I've only seen clips of him, so I'll defer to you. Is he actually overweight, or just bigger?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've only seen clips of him, so I'll defer to you. Is he actually overweight, or just bigger?

From the games I've seen he has the look of a guy trying to emulate Rupeni Caucaunibuca in terms of his "look" whilst in France...

He's not there yet of course , but I don't think he's putting in many extra cardio sessions

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    From the games I've seen he has the look of a guy trying to emulate Rupeni Caucaunibuca in terms of his "look" whilst in France...

He's not there yet of course , but I don't think he's putting in many extra cardio sessions

Caucau was a god!!!

Advertisement