Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Harcrid wrote: »
    Not so nice when a bird **** drops onto you through the panoramic sunroof as happened to me yesterday!

You need to do the lotto.. serious good luck from that!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to drive faster...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

They're great until they leak. Then they're a bollicks

The bird or the sunroof?

bazz26 wrote: »
    The bird or the sunroof?

BOTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Something with sunroof, Auto and 2.0 petrol and I would be happy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

CIP4 wrote: »
    Something with sunroof, Auto and 3.0 petrol and I would be happy :pac:

Meh....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Sunroofs are great alright, but I really need to buy a cheap e46 or A4 cabriolet soon! Todays weather was great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The only car iv had with a sunroof was the e30. Even though it was manual, if it wasn't raining I had it open, even in winter. Really liked it.

Have one in my current car and had one in my last car. Even during the winter months having the sun shade back makes the entire cabin feel brighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Happy Easter everyone! :D

===================
    Something with sunroof, Auto and 2.0 petrol and I would be happy :pac:

From bangernomics thread:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2-0i-es-coupe-only-33k-miles/21544350

Future classic I'd say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I did the front discs and pads on the jimny a week ago and I'm getting some squealing from the front drivers side, particularly when reversing slowly. It's occuring without touching the brakes, any idea lads? Jammed piston?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I never cared for a sunroof until I got the E46, my logic was why would I need a sunroof when I've got air conditioning?

Now I'm raging I bought one without a sunroof. If it's even a half decent day I'll drive with windows down, it's got an airmix function so you can make it send loads of hot air through the vents. This is great because I get to hear more of that lovely sounding naturally aspirated straight six:D.

Problem is it's way too noisy once you go above about 90 so that means windows up on main roads and motorways, and the airmix can't cope with all the air from the outside. A sunroof wouldn't have that problem, plus photos of cars with the roof tilted up makes them look better as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All my cars for the last 18 years have had sunroofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Only car with a sunroof I had lasted about a week :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wailin wrote: »
    I did the front discs and pads on the jimny a week ago and I'm getting some squealing from the front drivers side, particularly when reversing slowly. It's occuring without touching the brakes, any idea lads? Jammed piston?

Have you driven it much at all? Have the pads had any chance to bed in? I found when I changed my pads/discs they were noisy at the start and calmed down after a few days of normal driving. I guess there's lots of possibilities here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Have you driven it much at all? Have the pads had any chance to bed in? I found when I changed my pads/discs they were noisy at the start and calmed down after a few days of normal driving. I guess there's lots of possibilities here though.

That happened me also. Front right brake was squealing a bit but went by itself after a while. Though it took more than a few days. Didn't bother me though so wasn't really watching it all I know is it doesn't do it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I took off the wheels and removed the caliper today to have a look and the pads are definitely rubbing off the rotor when i spin it, on the drivers side. Not happening on the passenger side. I might try a different brand of pad as they may not be a good fit and I did struggle to get them in on that side, where they should just slot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Wailin wrote: »
    I took off the wheels and removed the caliper today to have a look and the pads are definitely rubbing off the rotor when i spin it, on the drivers side. Not happening on the passenger side. I might try a different brand of pad as they may not be a good fit and I did struggle to get them in on that side, where they should just slot in.

Pads very rarely just slot in, you either need to file away the corrosion on the carrier or grind the pad a bit but they should move freely once fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dope this myself earlier. It's like a new car since especially with this heat.

57154688_2176856982394728_1886113980137603072_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b4e3db4c47529407fc6c35efdf067448&oe=5D31FB34

• Advertisement

My latest mad motoring idea if anyone wants to throw in a suggestion

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057974847

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To be fair a B9 A4 is a nice car.

But the other option is to look carefully at what the current A4 (as a trade in or a sale) + 10 k gets you as a daily driver.

Is a Golf R far off that now?????.

Old diesel wrote: »
    To be fair a B9 A4 is a nice car.

But the other option is to look carefully at what the current A4 (as a trade in or a sale) + 10 k gets you as a daily driver.

Is a Golf R far off that now?????.

Had been initially considering that but there are very few new performance petrols out there. Golf GTI/R would be the stand out ones but I just don’t know if I like them enough to actually buy one at that kind of money.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057727020

Have a read. My budget was a third of yours but how and ever. I'd be thinking of something you can get classic insurance. Have never regretted it but be prepared, an older car eats money and you'll never be finished spending on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057727020

Have a read. My budget was a third of yours but how and ever. I'd be thinking of something you can get classic insurance. Have never regretted it but be prepared, an older car eats money and you'll never be finished spending on it.

There are some reliable older cars that unless your trying to restore it can be cheap to run and fun to drive. If you can do some maintainance and part swapoing yourself its not so bad. Getting one that has been well minded is the tricky bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I think you should branch out a bit from hatches and aidi. Get something RWD like an mx5.

Interslice wrote: »
    There are some reliable older cars that unless your trying to restore it can be cheap to run and fun to drive. If you can do some maintainance and part swapoing yourself its not so bad. Getting one that has been well minded is the tricky bit.

It has been reliable, it's mainly preventative and ongoing maintenance. This week I spent €170 on new seals for the windows as the old ones have cracked and are perishing. I spent a grand this time last year on new brake lines, a new cooling system, tyres and so on. The only thing that HAD to be replaced were the brake lines as they were rusted but run behind the subframe and petrol tank so that was hours in labour. I'll be fitting a new set of bumpers this month as the old ones are tatty but still fine as well as an oil service and new subframe bushings. Most things I am doing are not NEEDED but it is very hard to to be on a constant quest to improve, renew and tidy up which costs a nice bit of dosh. I'm not bothered as I don't go out much anymore and am happy as anything I spend on it is my pocket money, not the houses or my savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Interslice wrote: »

Thing with older BMWs is if you want to keep them in good nick there's constant spending needed. If you choose the right engine and gearbox combination (six cylinders minimum, and manual gearbox - although depending on model the auto can be very robust as well but some are very iffy) they're very solid mechanically. They're surprisingly good on fuel for what they are and I got mine insured for €715 last year despite it being a 2003 car with a 2.5 litre engine. If you pay for the 12 months in one go (as I do) then tax is only €90 a month, and I do about 8,000 miles a year, so I possibly spend €15 a month more on petrol than say someone driving a 1.8 litre four cylinder doing the same mileage. So to me, €50 a month extra to have a naturally aspirated straight six and rear wheel drive over some smaller engined blandmobile is the bargain of the century!

Problem is, the rubbers BMW use don't last at all, and the suspension can't really handle Irish roads that well at all. On a 3 series, common suspension problems for both the E36 and E46 include ball joints, rear trailing arm bushes, drop links, anti roll bar bushes, as well as track rods and track rod ends. Plus a bit of rust as well. If you want them to be at their best, you'll be changing rubber seals and diff bushes as well. It's all these kind of things that make them expensive to run really.

In addition, because you'll enjoy driving the thing so much you'll grow to love the car and want to look after it even more. That means you'll want to get it detailed and do some other upgrades which won't make it any more reliable but will make it a more enjoyable car to own and drive. I mean, I got the gearbox oil changed in mine recently and it made a noticeable difference to the shift quality, even my mechanic was surprised at how much slicker the box is now (and it's not as if it was imprecise or notchy beforehand). Didn't need it at all (and if it was another car, I definitely wouldn't have bothered) but I want it to drive as best it possibly can and I hope if I ever decided to sell it some day, an enthusiast would appreciate the work I've had done on mine to keep it in good shape.

Summer project has arrived at my back door!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I can't find a better thread for this question so I'll post it here. I will be removing my N-Plates next week and expect 2 sticky square marks on my windows, does anyone know the best way to get those marks off? Would it be a soap and warm water job?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement