Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

That double was disastrous. Struggling ever since. Can't see him winning, even if Pan drops a shot at the last.

Looks like pan has it in the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

irishash wrote: »
    Jesus, Johnson has gone bogey, bogey, bogey, double bogey and is looking at another double bogey at 15.

+7 for his last 5 holes and +9 for his last 18 holes x)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Barnaboy wrote: »
    That double was disastrous. Struggling ever since. Can't see him winning, even if Pan drops a shot at the last.

The short miss for par was a killer. Take that away, he would be one behind. Praying for a birdie birdie finish. You never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

glasso wrote: »
    Is he eager to get back on the PGA tour full time?

He said after the win in Abu Dhabi that he wasn't actively trying to get the PGA Tour card back.

Obviously wants to be at the big events stateside but sees himself primarily as a European Tour player.

• Advertisement

Absoluvely wrote: »
    +7 for his last 5 holes and +9 for his last 18 holes x)

Having a mare. He seemed a bit unlucky on some shots but not that unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Having a mare. He seemed a bit unlucky on some shots but not that unlucky

Only first matters to Dustin. Just messing around the back 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Is he qualified for the PGA championship or what's the story there? That's the next one in May right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I see Lowry parred 17. Over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Barnaboy wrote: »
    I see Lowry parred 17. Over now.

Eagle the last!!!

In fairness, nice to see some form back, had been missing a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Mushy wrote: »
    Eagle the last!!!

In fairness, nice to see some form back, had been missing a while

Yeah a good week overall. Good to see two tricolours on the first page..it’s been a while.

Being on the first page of the leaderboard is no consolation given how it all panned out.

He could really have proved he could handle being a front runner but he didn't.

He has the talent so it's just disappointing to not see him prove it and get another win to his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Being on the first page of the leaderboard is no consolation given how it all panned out.

He has the talent so it's just disappointing to not see him prove it and get another win to his name.
    It was a good tournament and he'll take confidence from it. He seems determined to give it his best this season, he has said he wants to get in the next Ryder Cup team. I think he'll get some more wins this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Blud wrote: »
    Is he qualified for the PGA championship or what's the story there? That's the next one in May right?

He finished in the top 15 last year so he gets back in on that basis, I assume his world ranking would get him in anyway though

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Well done Seamus Power. Badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

NDWC wrote: »
    He finished in the top 15 last year so he gets back in on that basis, I assume his world ranking would get him in anyway though

Think it’s top 100 for pga so he’s good for that, presume world top 50 exempt for British & is open ??

Up to 43 in the world it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I would have said at start of the round that he had to finish ahead if DJ. He did that but the double bogie on 12 has cost him the W.

All in all it's one that got away. He was -12 after 45 holes. And nothing much after that.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭abff

I think there was never much danger of Shane failing to qualify for the Open Championship. One of the categories is 5 players not already exempt but within the top 20 in the Race to Dubai after week 25. With the points Shane earned for his win in Abu Dhabi, he's pretty much guaranteed qualification in this category if he falls outside the top 50 in the world rankings.

For the US Open, the top 60 in the OWGR two weeks prior to the tournament all qualify and it's extremely unlikely he will fall out of the top 60 by the beginning of June, particularly as yesterday's result sees him up to 43rd in this week's rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Are you for real?? Have you not seen the tournament's hes won? And how he won them?

• Advertisement

Are you for real?? Have you not seen the tournament's hes won? And how he won them?

Yes, I am for real.

Yes, I have seen the tournaments he's won and how he won them.

I'm talking about playing steady and staying in front. He was leading in Abu Dhabi and was 3 behind Sterne at the turn on the final day. Sterne had a great front 9 but it's the 3 dropped shots he had. Chasing on the back 9 is different.

Bridgestone, he took the lead not far from the 9th.

That's very different from transforming a 54 hole lead into a win.

You seem to think I'm being overly critical of him. I'm not. I'm saying its disappointing he didn't win to prove, largely to himself, that he could see out the win. I think it would give him a massive mental boost for winning more

Lowry will be kicking himself that he didn't see that tournament out really.

he's not going to have too many such opportunities.

valid point from the other poster that it would be great to see him be a closer in such positions.

he hasn't shown that.

more a mental thing than anything.

Lowry will be kicking himself that he didn't see that tournament out really.

he's not going to have too many such opportunities.

valid point from the other poster that it would be great to see him be a closer in such positions.

he hasn't shown that.

more a mental thing than anything.

I think he is a very talented golfer but I think seeing out chances like he had on Sunday would be hugely beneficial to him if he gets into a similar position in a Major.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Very honest interview on Tommy Tiernan show right now, RTE 1

I'm sure will be repeated or on RTE player

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Trampas

He seems to be near the top or bottom at the moment. Very hot or ice cold

Up to 39 in the World after a great weekend moving through the field. Was the leading player in the field over the weekend. Lots of positives to take I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Tied 8th. Great few days for Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Tied 8th. Great few days for Shane

I think he won $266k at weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

IrishHomer wrote: »

Not too shabby.... Especially after a shocker on Day 1. He made birdie on 17, day 2 to scrape in above the cut line, was under par 3 days in a row, not too many managed that. Some balls to turn it around after Thursday and walk away with a cheque like that
    Won't do any harm to his world ranking either I would guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

endabob1 wrote: »
    IrishHomer wrote: »

Not too shabby.... Especially after a shocker on Day 1. He made birdie on 17, day 2 to scrape in above the cut line, was under par 3 days in a row, not too many managed that. Some balls to turn it around after Thursday and walk away with a cheque like that
    Won't do any harm to his world ranking either I would guess

He's up to 39 in world ranking

Advertisement