Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovecraft Country [HBO]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

When they went through the portal I thought it was going to be trans dimensional horror not a weird power fantasy. I guess we’ll see what happened him next week. This wasn’t eldritch horror and I like the trans dimensional Lovecraft stories. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Ep7. f**k me.
    I think Im just starting to enjoy the random bizarreness of it all.
    Is Tic supposed to be the good guy? He's done and said some very mean things, and is not coming across as very good guyish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Heard many bad reviews for this , so was gonna give it a miss , but got 1 strong recommendation last week so said I would give it an episode .

It’s weird as f , but I am loving it .
    Have binged the 7 episodes in 4 nights and can’t wait for more .

The Korean episode was brilliant and not just for naked Jamie Chung

• Registered Users Posts: 15,664 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't get what or why anyone thinks episode 6 was good. It was boring and crap. Episode 7 on the other hand was brilliant and I will most certainly watch it a 2nd maybe even a 3rd and 4th time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That last episode was total muck, I thought the first 6 were very good.

• Advertisement
    Ms

That last episode was total muck, I thought the first 6 were very good.

Na episode 1 to 5 were brilliant 6 I did not get it was just boring and 7 was brilliant.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

AMKC wrote: »
    I don't get what or why anyone thinks episode 6 was good. It was boring and crap. Episode 7 on the other hand was brilliant and I will most certainly watch it a 2nd maybe even a 3rd and 4th time.

Quite liked 6, Jamie Chung was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Still no idea whats going

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Still no idea whats going

I haven't a bloody breeze....

But its a fun watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched tonight, bit samey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The characters are very inconsistent, one minute everyone is looking for the young girl then Leti just rushes past her outside the guesthouse.
    Ruby the body swap character can’t believe Christina the mage doesn’t care that the black kid was murdered when she jammed her heel repeatedly up some guys arse a few episodes ago.
    Can Atticus be a good guy when he executed some innocent Korean nurses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Ep:8.
    Things seem to be settling down now... joking. It’s still f**king bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

8: Well. That went places! :eek: Yep. That definitely went places.

Good question yer man asked about why Christina
    wanted a death like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I’m a bit behind, Episode 6 was great. Sign of a good show when they insert a new character into an entire episode and have you rooting for them by the end of it. Complete forgot about the other characters in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Slydice wrote: »
    8: Well. That went places! :eek: Yep. That definitely went places.

Good question yer man asked about why Christina
    wanted a death like that.

To try and feel empathy ?

Finally caught up. It’s Bonkers but it has fantastic acting and Visuals. Alice Smith, The singer who features on some of the songs is amazing.

What did Christina do to Letitia in the church, it looked like the wound opened up on her side again.

What did Christina do to Letitia in the church, it looked like the wound opened up on her side again.

Protection Spell

Protection Spell

Just saw a clip of tonights episode over in twitter, lots of action by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I really wanted to like this series (it's premise is my sort of show) but...it's so disjointed in the story telling and the lead actor is just so wooden that I'm kinda put off. Nothing to do with being a predominantly black cast or that white people are bad or any of that other crap

Looking at the reviews on IMDB - this is the opposite of review bombing - no way in hell there is that many people voting 10/10 for this show

I think only episodes 1, 6 and 5 (thats according to the IMDB synopsis but wasn't Daegu before the transformation episode?) are the only standout episodes - the rest are ones I would half-heartedly watch

• Advertisement

9: Wow, powerful episode! Really strong performance from Michael K. Williams! Looks like we're well into a paradox at this stage.

Ms

fritzelly wrote: »
    I really wanted to like this series (it's premise is my sort of show) but...it's so disjointed in the story telling and the lead actor is just so wooden that I'm kinda put off. Nothing to do with being a predominantly black cast or that white people are bad or any of that other crap

Looking at the reviews on IMDB - this is the opposite of review bombing - no way in hell there is that many people voting 10/10 for this show

I think only episodes 1, 6 and 5 (thats according to the IMDB synopsis but wasn't Daegu before the transformation episode?) are the only standout episodes - the rest are ones I would half-heartedly watch
    I would not be surprised if there was. It's a great show. Would give it 9 out of 10 myself and I disagree with the standout episodes. I would take 6 off as it has been the worst episode so far and put 7 there instead as that was an excellent episode. All the other episodes were really good as I said so far only one poor episode and that was 6.
    Tonight's was very good but not as crazy and madas some of the episodes have been

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Says he died at 46, he looked about 66.

Cancer will do that to you.

Finished! Overall felt as Lovecraftian as much as I know Lovecraft (very little). Also well produced. Would give a season 2 a shot if they made one.

10: Moment of the episode had to be
    when Leti realised Ruby had been replaced by Christina. That was done just right to let the audience in on it.

That ending has me thinking
    something is up with Dee and she'll have a big role if a season 2 comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Overall I really enjoyed this show , sure its not perfect but what show is.

Ending feels like one and done as not much left open for a second season.

Maybe a time jump to George as a young man and Diana as a woman in the late 60s early 70s .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Really thought it was a massive pile of meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Finished it but if there is a second series I won't be bothering to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Episode 7 is all kinds of weird

Series is becoming a disjointed mess

I gave up after whatever episode they burn the house down for that same reason. I said ide have a look here and see if I made a mistake but clearly not

• Registered Users Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Got to ep.4 and lost interest. Absolutely bugger all to do with HP Lovecraft.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finished it but if there is a second series I won't be bothering to watch it
    Yeah, felt the same. The whole thing was disjointed - the shifting in tone, the way it tried to link what felt like separate stories. Acting was decent in places, hampered by a weak lead for Atticus who seemed to prefer to mumble his lines.
    Some of the themes were very handed - 'Watchmen' did a much better take on Tulsa for example.
    Overall, it felt a bit like a big budget season of 'American Horror Story' without that show's dark humour.

Advertisement