Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovecraft Country [HBO]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,714 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was another very interesting episode. It is certainly different and I have to say the scenes and effects are very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Disappointed by the Monsters in epi 1. not the image I ever got from a Lovecraft story. A little too conventional, sleek, predatory, fast. Lovecraft monsters rarely aspired to look like we expect predatory creatures to look, always on the verge of undescribable, piles of tentacles, rarely sleek, amorphous blobs with too many eyes, mouths, limbs and shapes that make no evolutionary sense, almost as if they are the abominable creations of some wicked deity , suited to different dimensions or conditions totally alien to us.

That all added to the horrifying aspect, and this has let the show down a little so far.
    they toned up the race issues, but toned back on the descriptive and creative aspects of his creations that make them something that could only come from lovecraft, which are one of the big reasons lovecrsft is still popular in spite of the racist undertones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: More development but clearly not out of the woods yet. Great to see Michael K. Williams. Guessing they'll slow it down a lil to more of the pace it needs for whatever is planned in the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Says he died at 46, he looked about 66.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Episode 1 was a blast I thought
    Episode 2 was a bit too bonkers for me tbh it seemed to try to cram too much in. Also felt very CGI heavy.
    Episode 3 back on form, really enjoyed it.

So just a quick question
    is it going to be almost a different horror genre each week? Ep1 monster movie. Ep2 almost like an occult theme Ep3 haunted house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

gmisk wrote: »
    Episode 2 was a bit too bonkers for me tbh it seemed to try to cram too much in. Also felt very CGI heavy.

So just a quick question
    is it going to be almost a different horror genre each week? Ep1 monster movie. Ep2 almost like an occult theme Ep3 haunted house
    its based on a collection of short stories that have been rewritten to have a through line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

gmisk wrote: »

So just a quick question

The book it is based is quite episodic, I remember thinking how suited it would be to TV when I read it.

It all comes together at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Brilliant thanks for those responses.
    The guardian are doing a weekly overview which is excellent I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

American Horror Story: Lovecraft.

Finding it a bit of a drag, to be honest. Think the episodes could be shortened.

As someone pointed out elsewhere, considering what we've see so far, if 3 young white men go missing in that area, would you really expect that house to still be standing in one piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Jurnee Smollett has being carrying the show so far, very good Actress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Says he died at 46, he looked about 66.

Who died at 46?

Ms

Well that was another great and very weird episode. I did kind of think that it needed something between Arnham and where they are now back home because the way it started you would think you missed on episode. All the same I enjoyed it and look forward to next world episode as well. I might by the books after this to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Who died at 46?

Lovecraft

• Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Who died at 46?

Apologies should have been more clear about what I was talking about.

Was reading up on Lovecraft himself, didn't realise he died so young.

3: Oh that got creepy towards the end. I was full on bracing for jump scares. Like how that ending was done! Plenty more to come!

Ms

I have to say that all the acting in this so far has been brilliant and the actors too.

Seems episode 4 was released early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

Really enjoyed that episode but I honestly haven't a breeze what is going on plot wise.

I read the Avclub review and maybe it's because I haven't read the book, but I missed loads of the plot points. I've no idea who the baddies are, and what they are trying to achieve.

Ms

That episode was a bit more subdued compared to the last three I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Poor enough series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Enjoyed the first 2 episodes

Episode 3 was ok but put off by the really bad CGI

Episode 4 is fizzling (story seems to be going National Treasure route which is not a good thing)

Lead actor is coming across as very wooden without all the horror to distract

4: Oh!
    What's the father up to!
    :eek: But I guess the more I think of it, of course
    Michael K. Williams must be playing a more prominent role than first seemed!

Ms

Poor enough series.

I disagree. I found it intriguing and very good. I would watch more of it. Was that the last episode of season 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. I found it intriguing and very good. I would watch more of it. Was that the last episode of season 1?

Its not a criticism of just this series. I don't know I'm findng it the way with a lot of series nowadays, all style and no substance. I finished Mr. Robot recently, it was meh, doom patrol finished and it was meh, watched his dark materials and watchmen and thought they were poor also. Better Call Saul I watched recently and that was good but then again i might just be comparing it to other current series that really do fall short of the mark. These new series have nothing on twin peaks, x files, sopranos, the wire or breaking bad. I'll give Deadwood a watch which came out in the 2000s as people say its great. as for this series, if it weren't for my girlfriend I wouldn't have returned after the third episode.

I fully understand why people wouldn't like this. On paper, I wouldn't like it either but I'm really enjoying the craziness with the back drop of Jim Crow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

This week drag queen dancing skin hopping and shoe raping. Loved the revelation at the end.

Think I'm done. Have this week's episode and I just can't be bothered to watch.
    Hope everyone else continues to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

The last episode was ****ing wild. Really like this show.

5: Respect to caterpillars/butterflies! :eek:

Also, really like these ominous moments over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Jeez, I know he was a bad dude, but did he deserve that?

Advertisement