Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^Must want you to move on with that quote^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

My dad recently passed away and need to sort out insurance for my mum but she was getting high quotes. Does anyone know best companies to use named driver exp ? I'll do research next week but if anyone knew market here that might point me to best companies to start with. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    My dad recently passed away and need to sort out insurance for my mum but she was getting high quotes. Does anyone know best companies to use named driver exp ? I'll do research next week but if anyone knew market here that might point me to best companies to start with. Thanks

Firstly, sorry for your loss.

The Insurance company that your Dad had his cover will be the best rate for your mum for cover normally.
    If she was always named driver they will have 2 options.
    1. Normally the Insurer will simply note your dads policy title to the exec of the late ‘dads name’ & internally note your mum as main driver until the policy comes to its natural renewal date.
    2. The insurer will incept a policy in your mums name, give her the full ncb percentage subject she has at least 6yrs n-driver experience.
    As we all know insurance is cheaper for couples so the insurer will generate the quote based on what the premium would be if your dad was still alive & generate the credit note to have the annual premium reflect same.

The policy will be for your mum only on the certificate & schedule for year 1.
    Unfortunately the insurer will not normally list additional drivers in year 1, like yourself, unless you too have your policy with them.
    If for example you have Driving-other-cars extension then that’ll possibly cover you depending on your personal cover.
    Let us know if more help needed

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pudsey64

Pudsey64 wrote: »
    Age 55
    Location Meath
    No penalty point's.
    Full NCB
    Car 2013 Audi A3 1.6TDI
    Renewal Quote from Supervalu/AXA , Comp. €631.90
    Comp. from AIG 394.00
    No more searching.

Went with AIG again this year. €357.00.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Your Age: 37
    Car type and engine: 2016 Toyota Yaris 1.5 Hybrid
    years driving: 0
    any claims: No
    Price and provider: €1900 AA Insurance

Was quoted €200 cheaper with 123go but with a telematics box fitted and km restriction so happy enough with the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Perinho

I got onto insuremycars.ie over 2 years ago to insure a Civic and a Accord but quoted around €2k.
    Since then I've took out a separate policy which turned out a lot cheaper.

Have insuremycars.ie gotten more reasonable lately??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Your Age: 33
    Car type and engine: 2020 Seat Arona 1L Petrol
    Years driving: 1
    Any claims: No
    Price and provider: €690 Liberty Insurance

Down from my 1440 on 123Go, thank the lord!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

No penalty points.
    6 Years NCB
    Car: 2014 Seat Leon 2.0 TDI FR
    Renewal Quote from FBD: €826 - Comp
    Closest Quotes: Cover in a Click: €820, AXA: 850
    AIG: 766. Everyone else €900/1000.
    Renewed with FBD who dropped to €740 after a phone call... was happy with that and Policy quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Blue (now Chill) renewal €544 Fully Comp
    Full licence 20+years
    46yrs old (+ one full licence named driver)
    2015 Ford Grand CMax 1.5 Diesel
    10+ years no claims bonus

Called AIG, quoted €601, told them more expend than my renewal came back 90 seconds later quoted €481 with Full protected no claims protection
    Called back Chill, moved from €544 to €487 if I increase excess from €250 to €500

Undecided!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭raxy

Blue (now Chill) renewal €544 Fully Comp
    Full licence 20+years
    46yrs old (+ one full licence named driver)
    2015 Ford Grand CMax 1.5 Diesel

Called AIG, quoted €601, told them more expend than my renewal came back 90 seconds later quoted €481 with Full protected no claims protection
    Called back Chill, moved from €544 to €487 if I increase excess from €250 to €500

Undecided!

What is the excess with AIG. For the sake of €6 I'd go with AIG, why pay more to risk having to pay more if you have an accident. I've never had to deal with either so can't comment on which are "better Insurers".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Your Age: 34
    Car type and engine: 2010 Toyota Yaris 1.4
    Years driving: 10
    Any claims: No
    Insurance type: Full Comprehensive

Paid €469 with Allianz through the AA last year. Renewal came in at €580. Could only get them down to €520 on the phone, and that's with an excess of €650, and only step back protection. I've found myself gradually upping the excess the last couple years to keep the price reasonable.

I'm not within 30 days of renewal yet so can't get a definite quote, but I did put in my details a few places with a different renewal date, and looking like AXA will be the cheapest, coming in around the €450 mark. Got a courtesy call back to see if I was interested in it, and the guy advised me not to accept the quote online when I put in my details again and I should be able to get it for closer to €400 when they ring me back. Hoping he's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

MIL was with An Post last year and paid 390 or so for comp with all the bells and whistles on a 15 micra, renewal came in at 500 odd. Got it with 123 for 410 for comp with everything included. Couldn't get it less than 600 with anyone else.

Insurance actually went down this year, Aviva €450 to €360, Zafira 2008 1.6, added drivers ,wife and son ( 1yr on N plate),
    Max no claims
    clean licence
    driving years

Provider: Bank of Ireland (RSA)
    No Claims: 6 years
    With Bank of Ireland: 2 years
    Car: 152 Megane, 1.5 Diesel (UK import)
    Me: 32 Years Old, driving 6/7 years.
    TPFT Quote: €298
    EDITED TO INCLUDE: Fully Comp Quote: €329

With Bank Of Ireland (RSA) the last two years. Had a crash/claim that wasn't my fault about two years ago, whilst with them. It's noted on my history, but because it wasn't my fault it isn't held against me and i don't get penalised for it.

For some reason they only ever quote me TPFT unless I specifically ask for a fully comp quote, but they just sent me out a letter yesterday and my TPFT quote is €300 (298.08 to be precise). Seems very reasonable. Fully comp the year before was €515, so I'll get a fully comp quote and see what they say, but €300 for TPFT is very reasonable to me (5+ years NCB) and might be what I opt for.

Bank of Ireland , RSA, Opel Astra 1998,1.4, max no claims,driving years, wife added driver, last year €457, this year €480,
    little point ringing round with age of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Provider: Bank of Ireland (RSA)
    With Bank of Ireland: 2 years
    Car: 152 Megane, 1.5 Diesel (UK import)
    Me: 32 Years Old, driving 6/7 years.
    TPFT Quote: €298

With Bank Of Ireland (RSA) the last two years. Had a crash/claim that wasn't my fault about two years ago, whilst with them. It's noted on my history, but because it wasn't my fault it isn't held against me and i don't get penalised for it.

For some reason they only ever quote me TPFT unless I specifically ask for a fully comp quote, but they just sent me out a letter yesterday and my TPFT quote is €300 (298.08 to be precise). Seems very reasonable. Fully comp the year before was €515, so I'll get a fully comp quote and see what they say, but €300 for TPFT is very reasonable to me (5+ years NCB) and might be what I opt for.

Wow that is a bargain price you got. I never had insurance that cheap ever and I'm a few years older than you and also with full NCB.

Wow that is a bargain price you got. I never had insurance that cheap ever and I'm a few years older than you and also with full NCB.

Yeah I feel very fortunate, to be honest. I've been with them (banking) since i was about 15, and I'm a "prestige" member (presumably based on nothing but the amount of time i've been with them, as I haven't ever really done anything out of the ordinary for them or anything) so I presume that plays into it in some regard, but nonetheless, I won't question it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tindog76

Just curious as to what people pay.
    Your Age: 43
    Car type and engine: 151 Honda Civic 1.6 idtec Sport
    years driving: 20 on my own policy
    any claims: none
    Price and provider: Fully Comp policy with home start, roadside assist, full bonus stepback protection, windscreen and key loss protection too.
    Supervalu (AXA) renewal was €573 [Did a new quote with them and it came in at €501.] Called me based on the new quote and after talking to the person they said the best they could do was €480. 2020 policy I paid was €469.
    AIG €353. [Went with them. Best quote I got. And it includes all the extras as mentioned above too]
    Got some other quotes too
    AA - €417
    Axa direct - €553
    123.ie - €417 (includes bonus protection at €32)

Couldn't believe that I was being asked for more money for my renewal. Really was gobsmacked but it definitely pays to shop around every year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

2 years ago €350
    Last year €420
    New quote €441 ( I guess they wanted part of the €30, they gave back last may, returned)

All with BOI where i have been for the last 5 or 6 years.
    Last year after a ridiculous 20% increase shopping around didnt give me better quotes

Car 12D Fluence 1.5d
    Me: ancient man with full clean DL since 1990
    NCB back till before AD (max you can do)

Guess i ll have to go the quoteroute again with call backs on €900 quotes as a result.

And question for KKV.... do you live as a recluse on a private island that BOI quote you €120 less than me while i have similar if not better "stats"

Looking over this thread, AIG seems to be the one that wants business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭CoBo55

inforfun wrote: »
    2 years ago €350
    Last year €420
    New quote €441 ( I guess they wanted part of the €30, they gave back last may, returned)

All with BOI where i have been for the last 5 or 6 years.
    Last year after a ridiculous 20% increase shopping around didnt give me better quotes

Car 12D Fluence 1.5d
    Me: ancient man with full clean DL since 1990
    NCB back till before AD (max you can do)

Guess i ll have to go the quoteroute again with call backs on €900 quotes as a result.

And question for KKV.... do you live as a recluse on a private island that BOI quote you €120 less than me while i have similar if not better "stats"

Try itsforwomen that's who I'm with this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

We don't have the full stats though. KKV may not be living as a recluse on a private island but may be living in a lower risk area, have an occupation that is deemed lower risk etc... these particulars alone may affect a premium more than people imagine. He also may have increased his excess to reduce his premium.

I appreciate that but that shouldnt be a 40% difference. Not exactly living in a ghetto myself
    I do have NCD protection though that amounts for €40

But the 2 quotes i went after with its4women and AIG are still higher.

Guess i ll have to accept the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I appreciate that but that shouldnt be a 40% difference. Not exactly living in a ghetto myself
    I do have NCD protection though that amounts for €40

But the 2 quotes i went after with its4women and AIG are still higher.

Guess i ll have to accept the increase.
    You would be surprised but what you may think is small and insignificant may make a notable difference. Wasn't implying you live in a ghetto but crime rates are just one of the variables. The individual Actuaries may for example determine a notable difference between the broad County Cork areas and Cork City in terms of accident rates and this may play in, in no small part.

I would say to try a few more. Where your at your not going to save an absolute fortune but it may be worth making a few calls all the same. I'd suggest trying Aviva. I'm similar in that i have full NCB, no accidents, claims or penalty points, full Irish held since 2001. A 39 year old male and I paid a tad over €500 at last February renewal on a 2011 2.0 D4D Avensis with Aviva. That was comp cover with a few nice rider benefits like bonus protection, breakdown assist, driving of other cars. Guess if I lost these and was driving a newer 1.5D Megane I would fair up well to you or KKV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

spurious wrote: »
    AA car insurance €464 Fully Comp (Aviva)
    Full licence 11 years
    57 yrs old (+ one full licence named driver)
    2007 1.4 petrol Skoda Roomster
    1 windscreen replacement

Initially quoted 483 to renew, rang in, did the merry dance and got it down a few bob.

I am a member and also have Home Insurance with them.

The thing about AA insurance is that to get the best price, you need to be an AA member which costs 120 extra. Their insurance quotes don't include roadside rescue so you need the membership on top.

That's why I'm not with them any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Provider: AnPost
    Car: 2012 Superb, 1.4 TSI
    Me: 30 Years Old
    No Claims: Full
    Renewal Quote: €500

Quite happy there, the renewal normally jumps up to the 800-1000 mark.

You would be surprised but what you may think is small and insignificant may make a notable difference. Wasn't implying you live in a ghetto but crime rates are just one of the variables. The individual Actuaries may for example determine a notable difference between the broad County Cork areas and Cork City in terms of accident rates and this may play in, in no small part.

I would say to try a few more. Where your at your not going to save an absolute fortune but it may be worth making a few calls all the same. I'd suggest trying Aviva. I'm similar in that i have full NCB, no accidents, claims or penalty points, full Irish held since 2001. A 39 year old male and I paid a tad over €500 at last February renewal on a 2011 2.0 D4D Avensis with Aviva. That was comp cover with a few nice rider benefits like bonus protection, breakdown assist, driving of other cars. Guess if I lost these and was driving a newer 1.5D Megane I would fair up well to you or KKV.

Average age of where i live is about 300 i think (i like to exaggerate a bit every now and then). Nothing noteworthy happening here ever.
    At the same time, it is an area that might be lumped in with a less quiet part of Dublin. As you said, you never know

Might give Aviva a go indeed. Before i ended up with BOI years ago, i had taken an insurance out there and paid already when BOI finally came back with a quote that beat the aviva one which at that moment was by far the best one.
    Not sure if cancelling Aviva 1,5 hours after paying them left any marks :D

Still have a full month to go.
    Another thing is ... Boi is monthly payment at no extra cost. Aviva want the full amount in 1 go as monthy payments is basically robbing yourself blind.
    And i am not sure how much longer i stay around here. Stopping monthly payments is handier than trying to get money back when packing your bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

OSI wrote: »
    Car: 182 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI
    Me: 33 Male, Full NCB, Full DL
    + Wife at 32 with Full NCB, Full DL

Last year: €556 with AIG
    Renewal from AIG: €758
    Exact same details as new customer online quote: €556

:rolleyes:

Dual pricing in insurance, electricity, gas, broadband, phones etc needs to be outlawed

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Try itsforwomen that's who I'm with this year.

This might sound funny but I assumed "itsforwomen" only dealth with...well women?? the person you replied to is male . I checked their website before and just pictures of females and nowhere did it say anything about males being able to get quotes :o
    I was thinking it seemed a bit sexist allright lol, i cant be the only person that assumed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Age 37
    Location Cavan
    Car 2012 Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6HDI
    Full NCB
    No points
    Last year Allianz through Glennons €652 FC
    This year €613 FC

Happy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

This might sound funny but I assumed "itsforwomen" only dealth with...well women?? the person you replied to is male . I checked their website before and just pictures of females and nowhere did it say anything about males being able to get quotes :o
    I was thinking it seemed a bit sexist allright lol, i cant be the only person that assumed this?

Insurers are not allowed differentiate between male or female in acceptance or rating. Having said that, they offer discounts to occupations traditionally undertake by females, such as nurses, teaching, secretarial work. (I know I'm going to regret posting this)

Advertisement