Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air BnB [and other platforms] to be effectively outlawed in high demand areas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Maybe this will help

2000 residential properties converted to short term lettings = -2000 residential properties

2000 short term letting properties returned to residential use = +2000 residential properties.

I'm sure you realise that so I'm struggling to understand why you keep pretending otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,126 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It’ll be enforced on a percentage of those daring to not comply. Maybe you’ll get lucky, good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So? Not the goal of this legislation. It will cause 0 new houses to enter the market but will reduce supply overall. Assuming the properties aren't just left vacant.
    How does a property going from the AirBnB market to either the 'unoccupied market' or the residential market reduce the supply of the residential market?

I think your point only makes sense if you count the AirBnB market as part of the residential market, which it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

But shhhhh... as long as people can get a "cheap" holiday out of it, who cares about local population housing availability (from residential zoned stock)

The vast majority of guests in my mates place are Irish workers. They come for a week or two to work on a project in the area for local businesses. You can be sure that it would not happen if they had to pay hotel rates. Meaning local businesses will suffer. There will be a lot of knock on effects other than people no longer getting 'cheap' holidays as you put it.

The vast majority of guests in my mates place are Irish workers. They come for a week or two to work on a project in the area for local businesses. You can be sure that it would not happen if they had to pay hotel rates. Meaning local businesses will suffer. There will be a lot of knock on effects other than people no longer getting 'cheap' holidays as you put it.

Would you stop. Like that is representative of AirB&B properties FFS

• Advertisement

Would you stop. Like that is representative of AirB&B properties FFS

Ha, you're no better than those that voted for Brexit. Only my small world view matters and if anyone tries to say otherwise, fake news.

Things aren't as simple in the real world, why do you think none of the recent rules have not solved the problem?

Once all small time lls are gone, who will provide rental accommodation in small towns, or locations where the big companies can't make the largest profit?

Ha, you're no better than those that voted for Brexit. Only my small world view matters and if anyone tries to say otherwise, fake news.

Things aren't as simple in the real world, why do you think none of the recent rules have not solved the problem?

Once all small time lls are gone, who will provide rental accommodation in small towns, or locations where the big companies can't make the largest profit?

Do you have evidence that your "example" is representative of the wider pattern?
    You are making the claim, back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It's times like these I have to remind myself that the internet is 97% populated by 12 year olds...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The vast majority of guests in my mates place are Irish workers. They come for a week or two to work on a project in the area for local businesses. You can be sure that it would not happen if they had to pay hotel rates. Meaning local businesses will suffer.

Used to do something similar before Air B&B. And would organise and stay in a B&B at cheaper rates then a hotel. Pretty sure that normal B&B's are still around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

It’s an easy regulation to change with the stroke of a pen. What does it do in reality for the rental market? The answer is little or nothing. Rents will only go up regardless of the rule change. Supply will still be weak, as building houses is the only way to fix things in any real sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The vast majority of guests in my mates place are Irish workers. They come for a week or two to work on a project in the area for local businesses.

"almost 90pc visiting for a holiday or for leisure."
    https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/older-airbnb-hosts-on-the-rise-as-empty-nesters-earn-3000-a-year-letting-rooms-37370529.html

Do you have evidence that your "example" is representative of the wider pattern?
    You are making the claim, back it up

Do you have evidence that your "claims" will represent a wider pattern? Nope. But I've seen the vans outside.

I never said my "example" was the majority of the market, I said that your narrow view does not take into account other market forces that are in play.

Do you have evidence that your "claims" will represent a wider pattern? Nope. But I've seen the vans outside.

I never said my "example" was the majority of the market, I said that your narrow view does not take into account other market forces that are in play.

So, strawman bullsh1t whataboutery. That's all that you need say

Graham wrote: »

Which means more than 10% travel for other reasons. I never claimed otherwise. It maybe the case that the house I know is located in a place that less suits holidays, and more suits workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Graham wrote: »
    Maybe this will help

2000 residential properties converted to short term lettings = -2000 residential properties

2000 short term letting properties returned to residential use = +2000 residential properties.

I'm sure you realise that so I'm struggling to understand why you keep pretending otherwise.

Because your numbers are a fantasy. People left the rental market for a reason, you can't force them all back without addressing those reasons. Some will be left vacant and some will be sold and taken off the rental markets. Rented properties have higher density. This will reduce supply.

Further, by making the market more hostile to landlords you cause what we see now, a drop in properties available to rent at a time with rents at a historic high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

In due course maybe Murphy will show us how many Airbnb properties came backon the rental market

Because your numbers are a fantasy. People left the rental market for a reason, you can't force them all back without addressing those reasons. Some will be left vacant and some will be sold and taken off the rental markets. Rented properties have higher density. This will reduce supply.
    Hold on now you're swapping between rental and overall residential markets when it suits your argument, maybe pick one?

Further, by making the market more hostile to landlords you cause what we see now, a drop in properties available to rent at a time with rents at a historic high.

They are not being used for any density at the moment. Right now they have ZERO residential value.

Rented OR sold, they will benefit housing stock by becoming homes

TheChizler wrote: »
    Hold on now you're swapping between rental and overall residential markets when it suits your argument, maybe pick one?

My argument hasn't changed throughout this thread.

They are not being used for any density at the moment. Right now they have ZERO residential value.

Rented OR sold, they will benefit housing stock by becoming homes

There will be a temporary bump to supply but that will be negated by the overall damage to the market. We need more houses, not less landlords.

• Advertisement

There will be a temporary bump to supply but that will be negated by the overall damage to the market. We need more houses, not less landlords.

What damage?
    They are back to being housing stock. They ARE more houses.

My argument hasn't changed throughout this thread.
    Can you elaborate on how supply will be reduced overall? Pretend I'm stupid.

I'm stuck too. You add houses to the residential stock but somehow reduce said stock...

What damage?
    They are back to being housing stock. They ARE more houses.

The damage being less landlords entering the market than are leaving, i.e what we are seeing. This is just one of a number of stupid bandaids to appease people without addressing the root causes.

I have done so in this thread several times, as have others. Most recently in the last day or so.

The damage being less landlords entering the market than are leaving, i.e what we are seeing. This is just one of a number of stupid bandaids to appease people without addressing the root causes.

So if they leave do they knock the house?

So if they leave do they knock the house?

You have to be a troll, as there is only one other way to explain how narrow your view on the matter is.

Just go with me on this... If there are no LLs, that means there are no houses to rent, which doesn't mean all houses are knocked down, but that all houses are either empty or housing people.

If there are no houses to rent, new people are not able to enter an area, and people already in that area are unable to move out. This means you cannot change jobs to somewhere outside your existing area as you are unable to move closer to that new location. Which in turn means companies don't grow / close as they can't get staff or they pay existing staff less as those people have less choice where to work.

Less LLs means less movement of people, less choice, and less opportunities. The above example is easy to understand in the extreme case where there are no landlords, and also holds true on a smaller scale when there are less landlords.

Why do you think Google, Facebook, etc are buying apartments? So that they can move staff around quickly.

Sure in the short term, a few extra houses will come to the market one way or another, but it will also mean more landlords will invest elsewhere as investors are simply looking for the best return on their investment.

I have done so in this thread several times, as have others. Most recently in the last day or so.

You've said it might reduce the number of tenancies if landlords sell up and these ex-AirBnB properties are not bought by landlords, but you've not explained how these properties then disappear from the overall residential supply.

You have to be a troll, as there is only one other way to explain how narrow your view on the matter is.

Just go with me on this... If there are no LLs, that means there are no houses to rent, which doesn't mean all houses are knocked down, but that all houses are either empty or housing people.

If there are no houses to rent, new people are not able to enter an area, and people already in that area are unable to move out. This means you cannot change jobs to somewhere outside your existing area as you are unable to move closer to that new location. Which in turn means companies don't grow / close as they can't get staff or they pay existing staff less as those people have less choice where to work.

Less LLs means less movement of people, less choice, and less opportunities. The above example is easy to understand in the extreme case where there are no landlords, and also holds true on a smaller scale when there are less landlords.

Why do you think Google, Facebook, etc are buying apartments? So that they can move staff around quickly.

Sure in the short term, a few extra houses will come to the market one way or another, but it will also mean more landlords will invest elsewhere as investors are simply looking for the best return on their investment.

So the houses reamin, are now part of the residential stock (as opposed to tourist accom), and the yet they negatively impact the stock?

If the LL rents the house then it helps rental market
    If the LL sells the house it helps the home buyer market.

If the LL turns it to an AirB&B they are a hotel proprietor and no longer a LL, and hurts the residential market.

• Advertisement

If the LL rents the house then it helps rental market
    If the LL sells the house it helps the home buyer market.

If LL leaves the market it hurts everyone that doesn't already have a house, or needs to move due to work.

Advertisement