Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Co-worker keeps asking me for money

• 17-10-2019 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I started my job in August. Every month since then, my co-worker (who sits in my office with me, and it's a two-person room) has asked me for some money.

Now, if this were "Can I borrow €2 for coffee" or so, I'd be fine with it. But it's significant amounts of money. Once she asked me to transfer her €350 as her rent needed to be paid **today** and she didn't have it in her account.

Just today, while she has been off sick with a while, I got a message from her:

"Hey OP, you bank with * name of institution * right?" (In a way to imply if I transferred her money, it would be there instantly.)

When I told her no, I wasn't going to give her anything as I have an expensive bill to pay already, "can't it wait until Monday for you to pay it?" I found that particularly rude and didn't respond.

She has also tried it with other co-workers, and has even asked a co-worker if she could use their car when hers was in the mechanics. However, it's now making me really uncomfortable to work with her. How can I (gently or otherwise) knock this on the head?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Tell her to **** off and report her to HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Refuse

Block her on social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭enricoh

Does she pay you back? Keep asking her for money, she'll swiftly move on to another victim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I started my job in August. Every month since then, my co-worker (who sits in my office with me, and it's a two-person room) has asked me for some money.

Now, if this were "Can I borrow €2 for coffee" or so, I'd be fine with it. But it's significant amounts of money. Once she asked me to transfer her €350 as her rent needed to be paid **today** and she didn't have it in her account.

Just today, while she has been off sick with a while, I got a message from her:

"Hey OP, you bank with * name of institution * right?" (In a way to imply if I transferred her money, it would be there instantly.)

When I told her no, I wasn't going to give her anything as I have an expensive bill to pay already, "can't it wait until Monday for you to pay it?" I found that particularly rude and didn't respond.

She has also tried it with other co-workers, and has even asked a co-worker if she could use their car when hers was in the mechanics. However, it's now making me really uncomfortable to work with her. How can I (gently or otherwise) knock this on the head?

I’m not even going to ask if they paid you back because that’s not relevant. Just say no. Say it’s a terrible idea to load fiends or colleagues money. You did it once to help her out but if it’s a long term issue, tell her she should get a loan from the bank.

No need to be aggressive or snarky because it’s just the truth. That should be direct enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I presume you’ve never given her any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

OP I really hope you've never given her any. Nip this in the bud as soon as you can by flat out telling her no, that you've no extra income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

lunamoon wrote: »
    OP I really hope you've never given her any. Nip this in the bud as soon as you can by flat out telling her no, that you've no extra income.

Wouldn’t bother with the explanation. Just the ‘no’.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

She must have serious issues if she’s asking someone she’s not very close with for that kind of money, very odd, sounds like a chancer, don’t lend anything and don’t feel bad about it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Gosh, just no!!! That's it! No explanations needed. No I don't have the money to spare, sorry. End of.
    Very,very odd that she is even asking. Don't pay, there is absolutely no reason for you to give her money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Just tell them nicely you do not have that amount of money in your account and all your spare cash is currently accounted for and will be for the foreseeable future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

This is one of the most bizarre things I've read on this forum. How can she think it's ok to be hitting people up for such large amounts of money? :confused: Tell her no, you can't and please stop asking. Don't let her guilt trip you. She is not your responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭Damien360

Was there not a very recent thread of a female saying she is short of cash and asking about loan sharks ? If I remember correctly, she was asking a co-worker for rent money also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The best advice I ever heard was 'Yes and no are full sentences.'
    Therefore, don't offer explanation or apology.
    Just no, if she asks you in person.
    If she texts or emails, don't reply and block her number.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I’ve got to imagine the person who’s asking would have absolutely no respect for the people who actually gives them money. Anyone with self respect will start by saying no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Damien360 wrote: »
    Was there not a very recent thread of a female saying she is short of cash and asking about loan sharks ? If I remember correctly, she was asking a co-worker for rent money also.
    I only read the first page of that thread but my understanding of it was that the op got fecked over by her boyfriend and it was a one time thing. She came across as pretty reasonable as she didn't want to hit up her Dad and brother who had already helped her out and they inadvertently got screwed by the ex. She sounded like a reasonable person and I don't think there is any connection to this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Just say no.
    People like your colleague, who would ask a virtual stranger for mone, are to be refused, and
    ignored.

And dont feel any guilt. This person has no shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Money and people are really strange. I forgot my wallet today but had cash for lunch. I had 3 quid left over but bus home is 3 30. Maybe it's just me but no way was I going to ask anyone for 30c. Luckily I found change in my drawer

Your op is bizarre. How can anyone ask for that. At this stage you have to be firm and abrupt. Also stand firm on the little things like coffee. They are not your friend or family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

€350! That’s a lot of … audacity.
    It sounds like you’ve been telling her no on a case-by-case basis. Try giving her a blanket no: “Jane, please stop asking me for money. I am never going to be able to lend you money, and it’s really uncomfortable having you ask every month.”
    If she continues after that, let your boss know this is happening (and that it’s widespread). I’d want to know if I had an employee who was regularly hassling coworkers for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Diceicle wrote: »
    €350! That’s a lot of … audacity.
    It sounds like you’ve been telling her no on a case-by-case basis. Try giving her a blanket no: “Jane, please stop asking me for money. I am never going to be able to lend you money, and it’s really uncomfortable having you ask every month.”
    If she continues after that, let your boss know this is happening (and that it’s widespread). I’d want to know if I had an employee who was regularly hassling coworkers for money.

You directly copy-pasted this from Ask a Manager, didn't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just tell her quite firmly that you don't lend money to people. Full stop. Tell her not to ask again.

Tbh, I find it quite bizarre that she is even asking. The only time I ever asked a colleague for money was when my handbag was stolen from the Pub where we were having a drink after work. I borrowed money to get home but that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Surely this can't be a real problem? OP there's a very handy word you can use -"No"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

endacl wrote: »
    Wouldn’t bother with the explanation. Just the ‘no’.

Yeh you're right. A simple no should be enough.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

"No I can't I'm afraid. I'm broke myself this month"
    Repeat as required.

Don't apologise because that infers that you are in the wrong -and you are not. Don't explain where you need to allocate your money because she will try to convince you that her 'need' is more urgent that yours. "I don't feel comfortable discussing my personal finances with anyone" is a polite and reasonable reply if she's trying to find out what you spend your money on. If you feel like saying it jokingly then "sheesh, Even a Guard wouldn't ask that kind of question!" is ok too. And a firm "please stop asking me for money. I've told you I do not have it, it's embarrassing for us both when you keep asking."

If pushed, suggest that maybe HR could sort out an advance on her salary with Payroll for her.

She's targeting you because you are new, and because she's tapped everyone else she can think of. I'd say HR are well aware of her antics already, but if she works in a role that handles any kind of money then I'd be inclined to have an informal chat with them and show them the texts you get because if she's that desperate for large sums like that then she could be easily tempted to dip into company money - and if two of you are in the same office doing the same role you could easily get implicated if there's discrepancies in company finances that you both handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

She sounds like she is mentally unbalanced. Who on earth would ask a work colleague for that kind of money ever! Never mind after a couple of months!

I wouldn't go down the road of saying you're broke etc as she'll keep asking month after month.

As a previous poster said, a firm no, saying you do not and will not every lend money to work colleagues and to stop asking or you will escalate it to management. Don't give excuses etc as she sounds like she will not take the hint. It sounds like she is creating an unpleasant work environment. I would be inclined to avoid her wherever possible and keep interaction to a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

joeguevara wrote: »
    Money and people are really strange. I forgot my wallet today but had cash for lunch. I had 3 quid left over but bus home is 3 30. Maybe it's just me but no way was I going to ask anyone for 30c. Luckily I found change in my drawer

Your op is bizarre. How can anyone ask for that. At this stage you have to be firm and abrupt. Also stand firm on the little things like coffee. They are not your friend or family.

If you randomly came up and asked me for 30c on the street, 30c my assumption would be that you were short 30c for the parking meter or the bus. €2, €3 I’d assume you were going to spend it to buy alcohol or drugs. I think most people wouldn’t care about someone asking for 30c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

If you randomly came up and asked me for 30c on the street, 30c my assumption would be that you were short 30c for the parking meter or the bus. €2, €3 I’d assume you were going to spend it to buy alcohol or drugs. I think most people wouldn’t care about someone asking for 30c.

If that where true then the drug addicts would have figured it out a long time ago and be asking for 30c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Can you point me in the direction of where you get your drugs for €3 please

its eh for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

This is totally wtf behaviour. Does she think of you as a friend, OP? Not that it would make this OK, but I'm honestly struggling to understand how anyone without a mental impairment or emotional imbalance could consider this to be an appropriate thing to ask a colleague.

Is there a chance she's in some big trouble with money, has an addiction or something? I'd go the absolute NO route with her anyway and if she persists beyond that, straight to HR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

You directly copy-pasted this from Ask a Manager, didn't you.

Yes, yes I did. I was wondering would anyone notice. :pac:
    Saw the post there when I was reading it this morning......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

She must have an addition problem.

I'd not leave my wallet or purse or anything valuable lying about either

I'd mention it to HR in case things have gone missing.

Advertisement