Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist friendly coffee shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Doc07

A friend of mine from Cork told me a funny story about when he was cycling alone in the Alpes Maritimes on the French Italian border a few years ago.

He stopped at a roadside cafe high up in the mountains for coffee and sat outside.

He told me that the worlds grumpiest waiter must have been on duty that day who came outside and slapped a drinks menu on the table with a choice of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.

'Americano s'il vous plaît' said my friend meekly.

'êtes-vous sûr' (are you sure) barked the waiter.

A good while later the waiter brought out an 'Americano' cocktail made from Campari,Soda and Vermouth,it even had a straw and one of those crappy umbrellas in the glass.

Cost him a Tenner :pac::pac:

Haha, that happened to me twice, once in Nice and once in Madeira....lucky the wife was there to drink them both.
    I remember to say cafe americano now but mostly get ‘espresso dopio’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I was just recommending that place to clubmates a few weeks ago.

So ten of us dropped into Lemon Thyme this morning on our Thursday spin. Nice food, good value, pleasant decor and friendly staff. Despite this, I don't think we'll be back too soon. Getting there and leaving along the N2 is a nightmare particularly for a group. I am no fan of the old N1 but the N2 is even worse with almost constant heavy traffic and a hard shoulder that varies from adequate to non-existent. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

The Coole Cafe Rathcoole.....
    Stopped on a spin last week nice menu and great coffee..
    Outdoor seats and could easily watch the bikes from inside....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So ten of us dropped into Lemon Thyme this morning on our Thursday spin. Nice food, good value, pleasant decor and friendly staff. Despite this, I don't think we'll be back too soon. Getting there and leaving along the N2 is a nightmare particularly for a group. I am no fan of the old N1 but the N2 is even worse with almost constant heavy traffic and a hard shoulder that varies from adequate to non-existent. Shame.

On weekends it's not as bad, but it's as dull a road as you can get. Any of the the numerous r roads that run kind of parralel are a lot more interesting, the l roads more so. It's probably more appealing if coming from Garristown, Duleek or Ratoath direction, but from Ashbourne, the N2 is probably the most direct route.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    On weekends it's not as bad, but it's as dull a road as you can get. Any of the the numerous r roads that run kind of parralel are a lot more interesting....
    I'd take the N2 any day rather than that awful Hollystown/Kilbride/Curragha road which runs parallel to the N2. I can't really say why but I just can't abide it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Brian wrote: »
    Shaggy Dog coffee van in the Cruagh Woods carpark serves great coffee from Upside. Only there at the weekend though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkc3DihnZ7a/

I had a coffee and brownie there the weekend. The brownie was one of the nicest ones I've had in years. Bought a couple and just finished the last of them with a cuppa this evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not the sort of place you might be stopping off at mid-ride, but the cafe in the rediscovery centre in ballymun is very good. coffee and a sandwich for €8.50 and they do an excellent - and sizable - ham and cheese sandwich.
    plus, they sell bikes upstairs, they do a job akin to what rothar used to do.

plus, the main bike chap there was telling me they head to DCU once a week and do free bike maintenance for staff and students. i guess the sort of work that doesn't need replacement parts, etc.

... the cafe in the rediscovery centre in ballymun is very good...
    Is there anywhere reasonable safe to leave the bike?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are stands in the car park there, i've locked my (cheapo) bike there before without issue.
    as to whether it's safe to lock anything very valuable there, the fact that the stands can't be seen from within the building is not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Down Kilkenny way it must be Billie's in Ballyhale. A hugely successful community run cafe (with bike rack outside). Worth a diversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

plus, the main bike chap there was telling me they head to DCU once a week and do free bike maintenance for staff and students. i guess the sort of work that doesn't need replacement parts, etc.
    THat's a great idea. I suspect it would be a huge support to encourage people to cycle, the people who have fairly crap bikes with poor/no brakes or clicking gears etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Is there anywhere reasonable safe to leave the bike?

No. Nowhere in Dublin. My brother's bike was one night locked outside the Ranelagh home of then Justice Minister Michael McDowell, robbed, but luckily recovered later, that said, it was left outside the home of a politician... :pac:

Cycle Superstore around Kilnamanagh has a café (likely mentioned already), which looked good enough, sort of auto-mated coffee machines, but they're fine if it's kept clean.

not the sort of place you might be stopping off at mid-ride, but the cafe in the rediscovery centre in ballymun is very good.
    this has just closed down. i think they set the place up to give people an experience of what it's like to run a cafe, who then head off and go into business elsewhere. they say they're going to be reopening again at some point soon with a new bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

scott.s wrote: »
    So, I have next week off work and plan on getting in a lot of cycling.
    Looking at longer spins with coffee stops so I would like to know of any cyclist friendly coffee shops in Dublin/Meath/Wicklow/etc.

Places that won't mind me turning up with a bike and chilling out front of the shop, without fear of the bike being nicked.

I've heard good things about Fixx but not sure if they're suitable when I have the bike with me.

Cheers
    All coffee shops.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

All coffee shops.

Hope this helps.

I presume your trolling didnt catch enough fish yesterday?

mod note - FreudianSlippers is unable to respond to your posts, so please leave his or hers lie.

Our club spins during the year took in a good range of cafés, restaurants and hotels all about 40-50km from Swords in an arc from Drogheda to Clane. Unfortunately we don't get to the Dublin and Wicklow mountains often enough as crossing town in a group isn't really on.

For the last few years we have run a poll to decide who gets our prized Coffee Stop of the Year award and this year's winner by a good margin was Timeless in Kilcock. The combination of really nice food and drinks, good value and excellent service was unbeatable even by the Coffee Mill in Maynooth, our winner in 2016 & '17.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Our club spins during the year took in a good range of cafés, restaurants and hotels all about 40-50km from Swords in an arc from Drogheda to Clane. Unfortunately we don't get to the Dublin and Wicklow mountains often enough as crossing town in a group isn't really on.

For the last few years we have run a poll to decide who gets our prized Coffee Stop of the Year award and this year's winner by a good margin was Timeless in Kilcock. The combination of really nice food and drinks, good value and excellent service was unbeatable even by the Coffee Mill in Maynooth, our winner in 2016 & '17.
    I do like that cafe. However I prefer the coffee mill as the bike can be brought downstairs. I am always a bit nervous leaving it outside the window (even with a small lock on it)

Luxman wrote: »
    I do like that cafe. However I prefer the coffee mill as the bike can be brought downstairs. I am always a bit nervous leaving it outside the window (even with a small lock on it)
    There's a yard around the back (although the bikes can't be seen when in the yard).

The club must select Timeless on the days I'm working as I can only recall being there on one occasion.

A new one for me today and I suspect most of the lads - Quirc in Straffan (Co Kildare). Best pancakes and bacon that I've had to date. Strange sort of place - a sort of home design place with a small coffee shop. A little bit more upmarket than your average coffee shop.

Their web page doesn't seem to mention the coffee shop but I'm open to correction -

https://www.quircinteriordesign.ie/

• Advertisement

..Their web page doesn't seem to mention the coffee shop but I'm open to correction -

https://www.quircinteriordesign.ie/
    Brain switched on now:

https://www.quircinteriordesign.ie/why-does-an-interior-designer-open-an-artisan-cafe/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ah here. Anywhere selling delicious pancakes and bacon is no friend to cyclists!!!

It's hard enough as it is to pretend to be enjoying my formed rectangle of cashew nut & date paste :mad::pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Their chairs were designed by Kartel from Milan, founded by Giulio Castelli!!!*

*Not the same Castelli but a tenous link all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Quirc is also the most expensive cafe around!

There is a new cafe in Dunlavin which is fantastic, coffee €2, Sweet Taste.

Quirc is also the most expensive cafe around!....
    Yes, it's a bit pricier than the average coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Yes, it's a bit pricier than the average coffee shop.

But we’re worth it!!

C3PO wrote: »
    But we’re worth it!!

Yes, we were:

19o9qg.jpg

First time back in the Forge Field Cafe in Termonfeckin in quite a while. Great food and service and the waitress even offered to delay the coffees until the mini-breakfasts were ready. A lot of other venues seem unable to do this even when specifically asked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

First time back in the Forge Field Cafe in Termonfeckin in quite a while. Great food and service and the waitress even offered to delay the coffees until the mini-breakfasts were ready. A lot of other venues seem unable to do this even when specifically asked!

Drives me mad when you order a drink (tea/coffee) with a sandwich or cake and the drink arrives ages before and is cold or gone by the time the food arrives. Not just a cycling specific thing but more a general gripe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

terrydel wrote: »
    Drives me mad when you order a drink (tea/coffee) with a sandwich or cake and the drink arrives ages before and is cold or gone by the time the food arrives. Not just a cycling specific thing but more a general gripe!

I think they do it, so you'll buy another one.

Advertisement