Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclist friendly coffee shops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Rye River Cafe in Kilcock is excellent.

Timeless on Church Street is very good even though you have to leave bikes on the footpath outside. At least you can keep an eye on them.

Best in NCD/East Meath has to be Maguires at Tara.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

why's that inquitus, i was out there yesterday. they had us park our bikes elsewhere on the premises ( out of sight but pretty secure ) otherwise cant complain...

General apathy towards the cycling customer over the last couple of years, rudeness, not really seeming like they value the business and its more an inconvenience.

Ruby's in Ballyboughal are much friendlier and have installed the bike racks that are in your full view while you have your scone or coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Inquitus wrote: »
    General apathy towards the cycling customer over the last couple of years, rudeness, not really seeming like they value the business and its more an inconvenience.

Ruby's in Ballyboughal are much friendlier and have installed the bike racks that are in your full view while you have your scone or coffee.

Living in Balbriggan I pop in there now and again with the missus (not as a cyclist). It's always busy at the weekend with cyclists and in regards to the service, there is one person who works there who could be taken as being rude but they are like that with everyone.
    Hopefully it was just the one person that caused a bad experience for you... and if it was, well they are like that with every type of customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Living in Balbriggan I pop in there now and again with the missus (not as a cyclist). It's always busy at the weekend with cyclists and in regards to the service, there is one person who works there who could be taken as being rude but they are like that with everyone.
    Hopefully it was just the one person that caused a bad experience for you... and if it was, well they are like that with every type of customer.

I just got the feeling over a number of visits that at peak time when they are very busy they don't really want the Coffee and a Scone trade that passing cyclists bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Ruby's in Ballyboughal are much friendlier and have installed the bike racks that are in your full view while you have your scone or coffee.
    Is that not a bit too close to home Inquitus - you'd hardly be warmed up when you get there! :p

Mrs WA is always suggesting I should use Olive's(?) in Skerries as it usually has groups of cyclists around but I'm hardly going to stop 5k from home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Anything in Connacht?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Anything in Connacht?

Vasco, outside Ballyvaughan. Great spot to take a break from the headwind if you're heading south. Fresh cakes and a terribly nice couple running the place. Bike racks outside.

Wait, it's not in Connaught. Close enough though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

A few our club uses regularly in no particular order,

The Moody Rooster in Blessington, beside Tom's bike shop, which is always handy, in the Dunnes Stores complex.

Stradbally Fayre, Portlaoise end of Stradbally, always very cyclist friendly and a cyclists discount as well...

Castle Barna Golf Club, Daingean Co Offaly, very cyclist friendly, safe for bikes, you have to cycle down the canal bank into it, lovely place to stop.

The Mad Hatter in Castledermot, always friendly and cheerful, nice coffee too.

There's a nice cafe the kilcock end of Enfield, can be busy but we're always looked after in there, can't remember the name though.

Cafe on Main st in Dunlavin is nice too but I can't remember its name either.

Finally, though it's not a cafe, Fogarty's shop in Ballymore Eustace has a nice covered area you can sit in if the weathers not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Puddleducks in Cong. They always happy to see you even mud covered mtbers.
    Cafe Loire in Ballinrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

Roundabout Cafe in Drogheda, close to the hospital. Excellent scones & good coffee. Big glass window so can sit inside & see the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Are Ruby's open on a Sunday morning again? They weren't there for a while there. Nor the cafe down the road from them (can't remember the name). Led to very tight bladder times!:eek::pac:

gadetra wrote: »
    Nor the cafe down the road from them (can't remember the name)...
    The Grange?

The Grange?

Maybe, I can't remember the name of it at all. It has a big wooden gate on it when it's closed?

Maybe, I can't remember the name of it at all. It has a big wooden gate on it when it's closed?
    That's the one.

(Many cyclists have boycotted it since their bike parking rules came in).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Vasco, outside Ballyvaughan. Great spot to take a break from the headwind if you're heading south. Fresh cakes and a terribly nice couple running the place. Bike racks outside.

Monks, just outside the village, is also a nice spot for bite of lunch when cycling in that area as is PJs in Fanore and McGanns in Doolin. Drifted further into Munster there, but sure if you've gone as far as Ballyvaughan, you'd really have to take the spin around Black head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

smacl wrote: »
    Monks, just outside the village, is also a nice spot for bite of lunch when cycling in that area as is McGanns in Doolin. Drifted further into Munster there, but sure if you've gone as far as Ballyvaughan, you'd really have to take the spin around Black head.

Think I know Monks alright

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

^

I visit Fanore/Ballyvaughan a lot and for the life of me I cannot see how anyone frequents Monks. Shockingly overpriced for woeful seafood with service to match.
    PJs (I think you mean O'Donoghues) is one of the very best pubs in the country. Owner (son of the original owners) is very welcoming to cyclists - in the past I was allowed to bring bike into the lounge while eating. They do great food and a lovely pint. Vasco across the road does the greatest coffee cake in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

That's the one.

(Many cyclists have boycotted it since their bike parking rules came in).

Bike parking rules wasn't the only thing that drove cyclist away. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Few things I claim to be an expert in, but Coffee Shops are dear to my heart. Sugar Mountain in Roundwood is my favourite.
    Very cyclist friendly.Great scones served with 2 jars of different jams and a pot of cream :) or try their Banana bread for a real treat. Everything is baked or cooked in their own kitchen and the prices are very reasonable
    They also have the Cycle Superstore track pump if you are ever stuck.

+1 for Sugar Mountain.
    You get a big pot of tea for one, why oh why cant everywhere do this?
    The brownie with ice cream is amazing. They have a pump if you need one too.
    Great spot.

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Camp Street cafe in Oughterard is a nice spot.

• Advertisement

stecleary wrote: »
    Tell us more.

(I should say I didn't frequent it myself as it's too close to home for a cycle stop).

stecleary wrote: »

Our club avoid it the last couple of years too, it's a last resort situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Our club avoid it the last couple of years too, it's a last resort situation.

It's closed. Permanently.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    It's closed. Permanently.

Is Ruby's still going though? And open Sunday mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Is Ruby's still going though? And open Sunday mornings?

Yes it's back open. New owner operaror after it flooded which was why it was closed for so long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

guanciale wrote: »
    PJs (I think you mean O'Donoghues) is one of the very best pubs in the country. Owner (son of the original owners) is very welcoming to cyclists - in the past I was allowed to bring bike into the lounge while eating. They do great food and a lovely pint.

The original owners are PJ and his wife, really lovely family, been going there for more than 20 years and it will forever be PJs for some. Only thing is they tend not to open during the day in the off season, which is why I'd push on to Monks which is also a far friendlier place off season. Beef stew in McGanns if definitely worth a punt, and also lovely pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

LCD wrote: »
    Roundabout Cafe in Drogheda, close to the hospital. Excellent scones & good coffee. Big glass window so can sit inside & see the bike.

+1, very reasonably priced and the owners take time to shoot the breeze with you. Best scone and greenbean coffee is tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Anything in Connacht?

Grainne Uaile in Newport has racks just outside and picnic benches.

I've locked my bike up outside the door of Foxford Woolen mills but the café is up a stairs and away from the door so you won't have site of your bike. Great grub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭seanin4711

any recommendations?
    thanks
    John

• Advertisement

Timbertrove heading up (or down)  to/from viewpoint is lovely. One of the women working there is into cycling and very friendly, food is nice, view great it you get a seat and a pump available outside. Never stop on the way up, only on the way down!

Advertisement