Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist friendly coffee shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

8valve wrote: »
    Curiously, there's a cafe in Co Waterford that is quite welcoming to groups of cyclists, but I've been told by some club riders that cyclists have to sit down and wait for table service - the owners are afraid that cyclists may slip on the tiled floor in cleated shoes and maybe the owners are afraid of being sued!

its a strange little country we live in!

Well, the owner of a bike rental business on the Waterford Greenway will be soon out of business thanks to the UK insurance firm, providing his current policy, pulling out of the Irish market because of the high rate of claims here.

Irish firms won't take on any more bike hire businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

8valve wrote: »
    Curiously, there's a cafe in Co Waterford that is quite welcoming to groups of cyclists, but I've been told by some club riders that cyclists have to sit down and wait for table service - the owners are afraid that cyclists may slip on the tiled floor in cleated shoes and maybe the owners are afraid of being sued!

its a strange little country we live in!

To be fair that has the added benefit for other patrons of not having to queue behind a group of lads that absolutely stink.

The claim culture we have here is an absolute disgrace. The worst I've seen is still the girl who sued the luas because she jumped on a moving luas for the craic & fell off & got half a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Altheus wrote: »
    Agreed, I suppose though there's a lot of cafes that just are focused on Cyclists, would love to find a good resource!

Like for instance, at the bottom of the hill into Laragh, it's got bike racks, water tap, toilet, coffee and homemade cakes. That for me is a 4 star cycling cafes, 1 star off for not having a pump/tubes!

Two stars off for the rudest staff in Ireland.
    The distain that particular lady has for customers. I started going around to the petrol station rather than support the cafe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was once doing a tree planting day near laragh, and was wearing a top with the logo of the organisation doing the planting when i called in for a coffee. when she saw my top, she pretty much ordered me not to park outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Well, the owner of a bike rental business on the Waterford Greenway will be soon out of business thanks to the UK insurance firm, providing his current policy, pulling out of the Irish market because of the high rate of claims here.

Irish firms won't take on any more bike hire businesses.

I know the chap very well; I've even carried out work on some of his fleet. Insurance is getting to be a bit of a joke due to our claim culture. Some people see it as easy money.

Someone said to me over the weekend that they had heard a medical practitioner who claimed that he rarely sees whiplash victims for continuation of treatment, once their claims have been settled!

It would seem the best cure for whiplash is to rub your neck with a hefty cheque from an insurance company!!

Sorry, OP, we've gone ever so slightly off topic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

shutup wrote: »
    The distain that particular lady has for customers. I started going around to the petrol station rather than support the cafe.
    I find that part of the attraction - seeing how rude she's going to be. :D

On one occasion, after giving me my coffee, she sighed and said "I suppose you'll be wanting milk now".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

for those of you shannon side....

The old barracks Birdhill,
    RAW killaloe,
    Ponte Vecchio Killaloe,
    The Wooden Spoon killaloe
    Bless Killaloe
    Trading Post Tuamgraney
    Garden Cafe Scarriff
    The Snug Mountshannon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

If you are out around Donore in Co Meath, the cafe in the Visitor Centre at Brú na Bóinne has reopened after a lengthy refit. Nice food, pleasant staff but a bit pricey. You can enter it directly from the service entrance a few hundred metres west of the main public entrance and keep an eye on the bikes while imbibing/stuffing your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

On one occasion, after giving me my coffee, she sighed and said "I suppose you'll be wanting milk now".

She sounds exactly like a female version on Basil Fawlty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Cup and Cone in Armagh City, not sure of the deal exactly but the Cycology Bike Shop is very well rated and the cafe has taken up a good section of what used to be the storeroom I believe.

Need to get in myself, do more talking than cycling, has always been the problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

If you are out around Donore in Co Meath, the cafe in the Visitor Centre at Brú na Bóinne has reopened after a lengthy refit. Nice food, pleasant staff but a bit pricey. You can enter it directly from the service entrance a few hundred metres west of the main public entrance and keep an eye on the bikes while imbibing/stuffing your face.

2.80 for a bottle of water, very pricey, but a lovely space with a great view

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that run by brambles? they're not cheap no matter where you go, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

nilhg wrote: »
    A few our club uses regularly in no particular order,

The Moody Rooster in Blessington, beside Tom's bike shop, which is always handy, in the Dunnes Stores complex.

Stradbally Fayre, Portlaoise end of Stradbally, always very cyclist friendly and a cyclists discount as well...

Castle Barna Golf Club, Daingean Co Offaly, very cyclist friendly, safe for bikes, you have to cycle down the canal bank into it, lovely place to stop.

The Mad Hatter in Castledermot, always friendly and cheerful, nice coffee too.

There's a nice cafe the kilcock end of Enfield, can be busy but we're always looked after in there, can't remember the name though.

Cafe on Main st in Dunlavin is nice too but I can't remember its name either.

Finally, though it's not a cafe, Fogarty's shop in Ballymore Eustace has a nice covered area you can sit in if the weathers not great.

The one in enfield is streetside. has a bike rack outside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Some of my favourites: North Kildare/Offaly area

Streetside Cafe, Enfield
    Black Forest, JKL st edenderry,
    Mangans filling station edenderry has supermacs adjoined where you can drink coffee etc.
    TRI Equestrian Warehouse on the curragh has a savage cafe

is that run by brambles?....
    Yup.

https://brambles.ie/cafes/bru-na-boinne/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The Spar Shop in Balla Co Mayo has Insomnia Coffee and a nice deli, a large sit down area and loads of room to park the bikes in their car park.

One or two cycling clubs using it as a regular stop already.

We stopped in Shoda in Maynooth on the club ride today for the first time. Very impressed. Large coffee shop with a comprehensive selection of stuff. I've passed by it loads of times without realising it was there.

https://www.shoda.ie/

woody1 wrote: »
    2.80 for a bottle of water, very pricey, but a lovely space with a great view
    €15.50 today for a quiche and a Coke! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

shutup wrote: »

I thought she was rude when I first went in and have heard people giving about about her but over the last few years I think she has changed her tune.

I've gotten free icecreams at least twice and free coffee once. I'm a member of a big club that gives plenty of business which may help. They also ring ahead to let her when large groups are going to drop in during special events.

I've realised that I've forgotten to bring money as I've ordered and tried to cancel the order but she said I could come back another time to pay (which I did). I've heard from other people that she has done this for them as well so long as she recognises your face and are cycling solo. If you are there with a group someone can spot you.

I always stop there when passing through Laragh.

.... I'm a member of a big club that gives plenty of business which may help. They also ring ahead to let her when large groups are going to drop in during special events....
    In my experience she's fine when the place is busy.

Try darkening her door on a wet Monday morning in winter! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Place is shuttered up for winter it seems.. and The Dome in Roundwood.. :( Passed both on spin yesterday and was counting on a warm coffee and maybe cake, but not to be from either unfortunately. Was wondering too what the mood would be like in Glendalough.. :D It's always welcoming at The Dome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The Dome normally closes at the end of September and reopens in the Spring. AFAIK, even in the Summer, it is only open at weekends which is a real shame.

Had a great bowl of soup and pleasant service in Glendalough Green in December and I think it was open on Sunday when I passed through Laragh. Looking forward to hearing Clodagh make her annual observation about cyclists being like swallows, all arriving together in the Spring.

Place is shuttered up for winter it seems.. and The Dome in Roundwood.. :( Passed both on spin yesterday and was counting on a warm coffee and maybe cake, but not to be from either unfortunately. Was wondering too what the mood would be like in Glendalough.. :D It's always welcoming at The Dome.
    Does Sugar Mountain in Roundwood open in winter? It's another option if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Rode through Laragh on Saturday and stopped for a coffee - sign up saying its closes Mon-Wed during January... Lovely coffee but 4 yoyo for a flapjack ? Had a Boost instead.

Rode through Laragh on Saturday and stopped for a coffee - sign up saying its closes Mon-Wed during January... Lovely coffee but 4 yoyo for a flapjack ? Had a Boost instead.

Will have to try Thur/Fri or weekend.. think was Weds when I went through. Though looking at weather for week ahead I may need to stay at a lower altitude.

Does Sugar Mountain in Roundwood open in winter? It's another option if it does.

Thanks.. will have a look next time. Still had a banana and bar to get thru to enjoyed them and headed for home. Thought about stopping in Enniskerry but was only half hour from home at that stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Big ol bump, and not necessarily a cycling friendly cafe, but a cycling heavy location. New coffee dock just before the Summit carpark in Howth.

It's in someone's front garden. Selling McCabes too, which is fairly decent. Now there are quite a few of these docks about the place these days. One in Baldoyle too, and one in Clontarf somewhere and dotted about the place, but this is the first that's in a location where I'd be stopping anyway.

I stop in Oldtown now because their Lemon Drizzle cake is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

This place : https://www.thehubbikes.ie/

Ok, it's a bike shop rather than a cyclist friendly cofeee shop, but it has very nice coffee of all types with benches outside and pre-covid, tables and chairs inside. Occasionally have very nice buns and cake too. Staff are great craic. I practically live there.

A new coffee shop opened in Garristown a few weeks ago called 'Fancy That' (beside Gormley's pub). It was very popular with cyclists when we visited last Saturday morning. Friendly staff with plenty of outdoor seating and bike racks.

(I'm open to correction but I think it's run by Dublin GAA stars Dean Rock and Niamh McEvoy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭cletus

Might be a bit out of the way for a long of ye, and not a dedicated cycle cafe, but Ma's Kitchen on the main Street in Rathangan would seem to be cycle friendly, there's often a stack of bikes outside on weekend mornings.

I don't use it as a cycle cafe as I live in the town, and I've no idea what the coffee is like, as I only drink tea, but it might be an option that people hadn't considered

Advertisement