Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

My parents went to one in Frankfurt a few years ago which they thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks, I will look into it too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Wow Munich seems to have it all! When does the heavy snow start in Munich? I take it One would need a ski type jacket and snow boots!? Woutld it be best to book it closer the time when packages might come out, or now?
    packages?

Snow is a funny one.
    Some years it can be annoyingly warm and others you would need a bit of a decent jacket and decent boots.
    The forecast the week before should be enough to know whats needed.

The one thing though is that should it snow then youre only an hour from the local Alpine slopes so you can go skiiing. And even if it doesnt.
    Theres day bus trips every day to a glacier in Austria somewhere for a day on the slopes.

Yes, most years about a month or two before the markets there are holiday packages running in the local travel agents with flights and accommodation included for maybe 250-300 PPS! It depends on the destination too. I almost feel like if i was to book it myself it would be a lot cheaper!

The day trips to the slopes sounds ideal. I would say it would cost a good bit though? Can you recommend any hotels near the main markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hoping to go to the Christmas markets in Europe this Nov/dec for 2 nights. Have always wanted to go and have read Cologne is great however I need to do this on the cheap and Ryanair don't seem to fly to dusseldorf anymore.

Any recommendations welcome for a cheapo Xmas markets trip (not in ireland). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I started a thread last year asking the very same question. Got some decent feedback on Vienna & Saltzburg.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81458625

If you do a search for Christmas Markets, you may turn up some other threads.

We wound up going to to Bruges last December 2-5. The quality of the stalls wasn't great, and there wasn't that many of them, but the beauty of the city itself more than made up for it. The weather was crap. It was bitterly cold with that horrible sleety rain, that is miserable to be out of doors in, no matter how many glasses of mulled wine you have. It was much more fun to explore all the indoor chocolate shops and cafes. :)

The outdoors ice skating rink in the town square was lovely, but other than that, there wasn't much of a Christmassy vibe to the place. Was told that if we were there after Dec 6 (the feast of St Nick) the atmosphere would have been better.

We flew into Brussels/Charleroi on Ryanair for about 40 quid a head. It's not the main Brussels airport. Aer Lingus wanted 130 each to fly into that one. From Charleroi, you take a shuttle bus into Brussels for 22.50 a head. It takes about 50 minutes, which is about twice as long as it takes to get to Brussels central if you fly into the main airport. We were happy to do so for such a good saving. From Brussels, there are trains that depart every half hour for Bruges. The journey takes about an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm throwing an eyeball at Bremen for Christmas this year. Love (*love*) Germany at Christmas and Ryanair are flying there now

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/bremen_christmas_market.php

%7B9a00e0ef-ef69-1453-1c7a-bc9939eab546%7D.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Nuremberg - great market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

We intend to visit Trier, a very beautiful Roman city (the empires frontier in Germania) and the Saarland.

Very beautifull area and handy access via Fra-Hahn airport

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smallorfaraway

Oh wow Bremen looks beautiful! I'm hoping to do something similar myself this year, i really hate flying and was trying to find markets near ferry ports in England that would also have good shopping; but that pic of Bremen is really tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Has anyone experience of both and which would they recommend? Torn between these 2 places for Xmas/New Years

• Advertisement

Never been to Prague, but I had an afternoon to kill in Brussels last December, so I spent some time at the Xmas market. I saw all it had to offer in under an hour. Most of the stalls were food & drink related. Other than some nice candles, I didn't see anything worth buying. Mind you, it was lashing rain and freezing cold, so I wasn't in the mood to linger much. It was nice to have the market there to kill some time, but I certainly wouldn't have made a special trip from Ireland just to experience it.

Bruges is much better imo. It's Xmas market isn't much bigger than Brussels, but with its gorgeous old buildings, canals, town square with the ice skating rink, bell tower and chocolate shops etc etc, it is much more atmospheric imo.

Thanks for that. Did you find Brussels expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

You might get good idea if you look and search in the Christmas forum. Here is the Link

Slipshaney wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Did you find Brussels expensive??

I wasn't really there long enough to find out. We took a taxi from the main train station to the old square, had lunch in a nice but touristy restaurant, bought a couple of cups of mulled wine at the market and, then took a taxi back to the main train station. Nothing that we did/ate/drank/bought struck me as all that different to Dublin really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

OP,

I've been to both twice at Christmas time (approximately the week before Christmas).

In my opinion Prague wins hands down. Don't get me wrong I like Brussels, but I find that Prague at Christmas is really truly wonderful.

They have little wooden shacks everywhere selling their special Christmas Bread (sweet) and their style of mulled wine (stupidly can't remember the name of either). They have loads of stalls and shacks selling Christmas related things and Old town Square, in particular is so beautiful. I was there one year for the turning on of the Christmas lights which was a pretty big celebration.

They usually have carol singers/concerts in the square every few days as well.

I'd definitely recommend Prague.

Thats brilliant - thanks for the detailed feedback

We are looking to stay in Prague (if we go) for around a week - is this too long?

Thats brilliant - thanks for the detailed feedback

We are looking to stay in Prague (if we go) for around a week - is this too long?

It depends what you want to do to be honest.

It's not too short anyway. 5 days in my view is optimum but as I say that depends what you are planning.

Christmas Markets and general shopping 1.5 days.
    A day exploring the outskirts of the city including the Castle (also has toy museum)
    A day general walking and visiting Charles' Bridge
    Old town square and astronomical clock (can probably combine this with the Christmas Markets

Other general sightseeing - Museums, Cathedrals (St. Nicholas' in particular), the powder tower.

There's a lot to see and if you travel by foot rather than metro you can take in a lot more of the city (I only ever travelled by foot)

In my opinion, there's more to see in the city itself than there is in Brussels. With Brussels however, you can do a bit of travel out of the city (such as the train to Bruges) to see additional stuff.

It really depends how much you want to move around and the type of holiday you want. I generally build in a day of relaxation into my holidays to just potter around without rushing from one attraction to the next.

Price wise, there probably isn't a huge difference these days. I first went to Prague 10 years ago and it was dirt cheap, I mean you couldn't spend your money in it. It was mad. I was back there two years ago and prices have very much gone up in the main thoroughfares but if you do some walking and go to restaurants and pubs off the beaten track then there's still great value. If you do go, there's a lovely Mexican just off Wencelas Square - (across from a Sex Show (don't ask)) that is very very cheap and has lovely food (I can't think of the name but it's not hard to find).

Brussels is more or less the same price as here, but you can get bargains if you look around. places like Celtica (bar) do special drinks promos (€2 a beer) up to midnight etc...

You can't go too far wrong with either city if I am honest, but If it was a choice, particularly for Christmas, I'd be going with Prague myself.

Fair play - thats a load of great info - I think you have made up my mind. thanks so much for the help

Fair play - thats a load of great info - I think you have made up my mind. thanks so much for the help

no problem at all. Enjoy your holiday... wherever you go. That's the main thing :)

What would the weather be like in Prague at Xmas? Would it be guaranteed to be snowy & a lot colder than here, or is it harder to predict? Last Xmas in Belgium, it was pretty miserable to be out of doors, which spoiled the trip a bit.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What would the weather be like in Prague at Xmas? Would it be guaranteed to be snowy & a lot colder than here, or is it harder to predict? Last Xmas in Belgium, it was pretty miserable to be out of doors, which spoiled the trip a bit.

It's very cold. The first time I was there there was lots of snow. The second time unfortunately it was just wet. I think weather is more and more unpredictable these days but there's always a good chance of snow around that time I suppose.

Just some other short info on Christmas time in Prague (including weather) if anyone is interested.

brilliant - thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Another place i would recommend is Krakow OP. was there last Winter and it is a fantastic city with lots to do, and a couple of nice day trips near enough by. Wouldnt compare to Pragues christmas market im sure but it has fantastic buildings, friendly and polite people, cheap and loads of shopping.

thanks for that - could maybe go there from prague or vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

thanks for that - could maybe go there from prague or vice versa

Actually if you decide to go near Krakow I wholeheartedly recommend the queen boutique hotel. I have been lucky to do lots of city breaks etc and it's the best hotel I've stayed in bar Radisson blu in Berlin which was 3times more expensive. Fantastic hotel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could also hit Dresden on a day trip by train from Prague. They have an interesting market.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

I'm looking into a Christmas market trip myself the first week in Dec, Munich sounds great! heard good stuff about Prague too.. Anywhere else people recommend? must book something soon :)

• Advertisement

I ended up booking a trip to Berlin! I can not wait. We were there once before and loved the city . We got a very central hotel in Alexanderplatz. There is a big market apparently outside the hotel door in the square. :) You should look into it Gal44!

Advertisement