Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what was the name of the street to the left of the bleeding horse? its where the camden court is now

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

what was the name of the street to the left of the bleeding horse? its where the camden court is now

Charlotte Street (RIP).

1968 wrote: »
    Charlotte Street (RIP).

ahhh, and then charlotte way

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jinksdub

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This thread from the Classic Cars forum may have some relevance here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Would anyone have any old photos of Upper Dorset Street, from the junction at St Mary's Place/Granby Row down to the Fire Station. There are flats there now, looking for photos of the buildings there beforehand, particularly No. 125. The Fire Station is about 131/132

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Also looking for an old photo of Richmond Place (at the Summerhill end of the NCR) from St Margarets Avenue to Mountjoy Parade. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Hopping on: would anyone have a) photos of Oakley Road around 1916 - the part where Cullenswood House is (my grandparents lived opposite); and also the Jacob's factory around the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Does anyone have any photos of grangegorman villas in lower grangegorman from 1911 onwards, my great grandad was raised in number 8, not sure if that particular house is still standing or not
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

Would anyone have any pictures or information about Lever Brothers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 jinksdub

DaveCol wrote: »
    Would anyone have any old photos of Upper Dorset Street, from the junction at St Mary's Place/Granby Row down to the Fire Station. There are flats there now, looking for photos of the buildings there beforehand, particularly No. 125. The Fire Station is about 131/132
    The address was a funeral directors(R. Fennelly's at 125 upper dorset street in the early 20th century) and in 123 was a book shop but sadly I can't find any pictures of the buildings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does anyone have any photos of grangegorman villas in lower grangegorman from 1911 onwards, my great grandad was raised in number 8, not sure if that particular house is still standing or not
    thanks

I think it is. Have a look on googlemaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

ollaetta wrote: »
    A new gallery was added yesterday with the theme of Dublin pubs.

Three more up now:

'Derelict Dublin'
    'Shops and Shopping'
    'Commerical Dublin'

Dublin City Public Libraries Digital Collection

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

LOVE this thread.

Would anyone have any old pictures of the Drumcondra area? My dad is from that area, would be nice to put an old-skool collection together for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

wynters wrote: »
    LOVE this thread.

Would anyone have any old pictures of the Drumcondra area? My dad is from that area, would be nice to put an old-skool collection together for him...

Zoinked from our very own Rashers here

UprDrumcondraRd1975.jpg

Tram No 66, Upper Drumcondra Rd, Dublin
    QX-00094-DRUMCONDRA-D.jpg

Tolka River - Dublin - The Bridge at Drumcondra (1910)
    duntoldru3280.jpg

A 1906 view of Drumcondra taken by Weston St. John Joyce.
    It appears in Joyce's book The Neighbourhood of Dublin.
    drumcondra-in-1906.jpg

President Richard Nixon in Drumcondra - Sept 1970
    5541727964_d9fb74cfe6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Zoinked from our very own Rashers here

UprDrumcondraRd1975.jpg

Still looks nearly the exact same today, Millmount House on the left, that odd hardware shop on the corner with Richmond Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm posting this here as its got some fantastic views of old Dublin, and of course some fantastic memories told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Here's a couple of pictures I found.

5672594105_333aed019f_b.jpg

Queen Victoria getting removed from the courtyard of Leinster House, 1948

5673161190_c464896da3_b.jpg

Engine Alley, sometime in the early 20th century. I could probably reproduce them better if I had a scanner :o .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

building-of-liberty-hall.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just spent the last few hours going over this - AMAZING !!

Takes you back doesn't it!?

Fair play to all the major contributors.

Anyone have a large format picture of Bang Bang by any chance, tried google but they are all small? Need it for a t-shirt for my Dad !

Here's a couple of pictures I found.

Engine Alley, sometime in the early 20th century. I could probably reproduce them better if I had a scanner :o .

any idea where that statue is now and the whereabouts of engine alley?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

any idea where that statue is now and the whereabouts of engine alley?

Engine Alley is off Meath Street.

Queen Vic apparently was donated to Australia by Charlie Haughey sometime in the '80s, I dunno where she is now exactly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Engine Alley is off Meath Street.

Queen Vic apparently was donated to Australia by Charlie Haughey sometime in the '80s, I dunno where she is now exactly though.

It's outside the Queen Victoria Building in Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Speedsie wrote: »
    It's outside the Queen Victoria Building in Sydney.

x23ozc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone have a large format picture of Bang Bang by any chance, tried google but they are all small? Need it for a t-shirt for my Dad !

This is the best I can do for you. Maybe you could have one enlarged.

Bang Bang....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

You might also ask the people who ran this exhibition in February.

5427546833_7495dba47e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Just scanned a roll of film I found in a press here, it's some time in 1988 as there's a pic from the Rattle & Hum premier there, but the other ones could be from 1986/1987 as well - I was prone to leaving the camera alone for long periods when I discovered girls... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Not sure if this has covered on here,but,does anyone know when they changed the direction of the traffic on the quays in Dublin.

I've seen footage that shows traffic on the northside quays heading towards Hueston,and the southside heading towards the docks.

The footage looks as though it was shot in the 60's,so was wondering when they changed.

Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Somehow I managed to blag my way to the roof of Liberty Hall & ran off a few before I was asked to leave.

Advertisement