Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Music for vinyl has to be mastered differently with more dynamic range than for CDs etc. For CD mastering, everything can be loud and it doesn't matter to the laser, but with vinyl if everything is loud then the needle will slip out of the groove. People claim that vinyl sounds better mostly because of this.

Alternatively, vinyl is more analogue and has a warmer sound. Not necessarily more accurate just warmer.

That being said, I'm not on the vinyl bandwagon, just a little on the audiophile/high res one. With slightly higher end equipment (no need to spend thousands), you can hear the difference in my opinion, especially verses low quality streams/MP3s and cheap headphones.

I've received an education

*tips hat*

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's just lazy feckers like moi not bothering to get up in time to have brekkie!

Ah Brekkie most important. Must rise early fo cornflake.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Alex owns a huge toy company. He secretly replaced all adults in the area with the mentally handicapped to provide an ongoing source of family friendly rescue adventures.

Nah, I've been subjected to enough Paw Patrol to know they're running drugs at night. The lads and the two cousins do the runs in boats while Skye keeps an eye out for the coastguard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I dont get how my wife can continuously watch Friends. Its must be on Comedy Central 20 hours a day. She must have seen every episode 40 or 50 times at this stage.

If Friends was even half as funny as it thought it was, it would have been brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

- How many people are incapable to empathise.
    - Parading your children all over various social media accounts. People are so oblivious about various issues this can bring.
    - Pre-NCT.
    - How people fall for the PhoneWatch money racket.
    - Buying tons and tons of ill-fitting fast fashion crap and thinking you've made a great saving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Photos of people with bunny ears and dog noses. Just can't deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The obsession Irish people have with English soccerball...will never ever understand it.

And they wonder why the league of Ireland is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Acosta

Why there's a shooting forum on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

tototoe wrote: »
    The obsession Irish people have with English soccerball...will never ever understand it.

And they wonder why the league of Ireland is a joke.

Emmmmm Celtic play in Scotland!

• Advertisement

171170 wrote: »

And..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

171170 wrote: »

Check out this lad haw

I don't get why people believe that European nation-states should be glued together into one State, the European Union, and prevented from being a nation-state in case we suddenly, within a 5-year period, transform into the Third Reich and start World War III.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't get why people believe that European nation-states should be glued together into one State, the European Union, and prevented from being a nation-state in case we suddenly, within a 5-year period, transform into the Third Reich and start World War III.

It actually works in achieving what you said. But that is now only part of it
    It encourages working together rather than against each other. Having less sovereignty, but it is worth it considering how the free movement of workers, goods etc has helped countries like Ireland improve beyond recognition. Not to mention the money for infrastructure (roads etc) has helped long time net recipients like Ireland etc.
    (Ireland have changed to net contributors in 2017)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It actually works in achieving what you said. But that is now only part of it
    It encourages working together rather than against each other. Having less sovereignty, but it is worth it considering how the free movement of workers etc has helped countries like Ireland improve beyond recognition. Not to mention the money for infrastructure (roads etc) has helped long time net recipients like Ireland etc.
    (Ireland have changed to net contributors in 2017)

Thankfully, with the advent of Brexit, the EU is now in terminal decline.

It may take a decade or two, but the nation-state is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not true Britain were only ever half assed on the EU anyway they were always in conflict with the Commission. Ironically it is because of a post imperial hangover - they basically still have notions. Like a bald fella with a toupee.

That is another thing I don't get why the British are so reverent towards the British royal family. Un-elected figureheads in thier 90's it is mad when think about it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

People who use the overspend of the new children's hospital as an excuse to criticise the government.

It's a bleedin' brand new hospital. For sick children. Ye plonkers. What do ye want? Mediocre facilities and continued waiting lists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Darksoul

Women who shave thier eyebrows and end up tattooing them making them look even worse then before.

Road rage in general watching people go all mental behind a window.

Lads these days going out in shoes and no socks on.

Bad losers going ape**** over computer games smashing controllers etc

The washing machine stealing pairs of socks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The nation state never went away. Britain may be leaving the EU but no one else making suggestions to do the same.
    Brexit is more correctly an English thing. Scots and NI want nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

How many people are incapable to empathise.

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now, but I'm not sure I understand it. What exactly do ye mean?
    Darksoul wrote: »
    Bad losers going ape**** over computer games smashing controllers etc

But can you call yourself a gamer if you haven't raged at least once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now, but I'm not sure I understand it. What exactly do ye mean?

It generally refers to sociopaths, narcisscists, or narcissistic traits. It's an inability to relate to or understand someone else's emotional state, i.e. not being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

The outside rule. It's too confusing now. I used to understand it but they changed the rules this year, it'll take make years to catch up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not true Britain were only ever half assed on the EU anyway they were always in conflict with the Commission. Ironically it is because of a post imperial hangover - they basically still have notions. Like a bald fella with a toupee.

That is another thing I don't get why the British are so reverent towards the British royal family. Un-elected figureheads in thier 90's it is mad when think about it.

A few other EU states have monarchs, you don't hear much whinging about those here for some reason. Why is that I wonder?
    Their countries, their own business, up to them to retain or dispense with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Darksoul

Well I used to work in a internet cafe/gaming building and played countless games and a big gamer,never slammed a mouse or keyboard or take off headsets if mad,I would mutter stuff maybe but I'd class people losing and throwing stuff around as stupid,there is other types shouting and stuff which I think is grand but physically breaking stuff in a rage is what I don't get.

"Fun" activities like beer pong that Americans seem to require when they gather at someone's house. Thought it was just an early twenties thing but it's seemingly not.

I always preferred food and drinks and conversation that naturally flows. Even if there's something extra like watching a match, or playing cards, or listening to some arsehole play wonderwall, it feels more cohesive than standing around watching people throw balls in cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It generally refers to sociopaths, narcisscists, or narcissistic traits. It's an inability to relate to or understand someone else's emotional state, i.e. not being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

Ah, got ya. Those specific ones. I have empathy, but it's reserved for people that actually matter to me, not to randoms.
    Darksoul wrote: »
    Well I used to work in a internet cafe/gaming building and played countless games and a big gamer,never slammed a mouse or keyboard or take off headsets if mad,I would mutter stuff maybe but I'd class people losing and throwing stuff around as stupid,there is other types shouting and stuff which I think is grand but physically breaking stuff in a rage is what I don't get.

Our experiences are different, but then so are our methods. I can imagine it would be a lot easier to break a keyboard mouse, but it was always a win for the old crt tv when I horsed SNES and PS1 controllers at it when younger! BONK and the controller in bits! And that was before online LAG became a sore point.

People who use the overspend of the new children's hospital as an excuse to criticise the government.

It's a bleedin' brand new hospital. For sick children. Ye plonkers. What do ye want? Mediocre facilities and continued waiting lists?

While the building is important it will be the most expensive hospital in the world in a crap location.

They deserve a lot of criticism for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It's been needed since at least the 40's, but why built it in a ridiculous location with little oversight or logic.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's been needed since at least the 40's, but why built it in a ridiculous location with little oversight or logic.

For political gains of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I don't get up when I want. Especially on weekends when I hey rudely awakened by the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I don't get up when I want. Especially on weekends when I hey rudely awakened by the kids.

That's park life for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I don't get the impeachment process. So Hitler the 2nd could become US President, become impeached for genocidal warfare and his cronies can just keep him in power at the Senate trial? What's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

emo72 wrote: »
    The outside rule. It's too confusing now. I used to understand it but they changed the rules this year, it'll take make years to catch up again.
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the outside rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

maxsmum wrote: »
    I don't get the impeachment process. So Hitler the 2nd could become US President, become impeached for genocidal warfare and his cronies can just keep him in power at the Senate trial? What's the point?

tis just a game, which will probably have no winners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Naos wrote: »
    Except it's not? https://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/iphone/

Perhaps these more expensive items are not worth it to you because you are not aware of or do not use the features that make them more expensive.

Even a camera on a phone - if photo's are important to you then there's no way a 100e phone will do the same job as a newer iPhone/Samsung etc.

The Google pixel a3 is currently available at 180 and is a terrific camera. Would definitely do the same job if not better than other cameras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Face tattoos - wtf is wrong with you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Would you really want to be known as a 'gamer' anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Lisa O' Neill,

The reviews of her concerts are bordering on hilarious with the writers tripping over themselves with superlatives, she's brutal (and not a good way), a real bang of the emperor's new clothes about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Casey78 wrote: »
    Would you really want to be known as a 'gamer' anyway?

Who cares what people have you "known" as?

Passengers who clap pilots for doing what they're paid to do -- namely, land a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

That's park life for you

Are you referring to the ad where the young fella says they’re going to the Poeirk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Seamai wrote: »
    Lisa O' Neill,

The reviews of her concerts are bordering on hilarious with the writers tripping over themselves with superlatives, she's brutal (and not a good way), a real bang of the emperor's new clothes about her.

Ah now, the Theatrical Production of Asking For It is excellent, and it's clearly based on very good writing.

The weakness, so far as I could see, was her inability to write male characters without reverting to broad stereotypes: either knuckle dragging musclebound apes banging their chests and waving their willies at each other or total wet blankets.

This is ironic as Men badly writing Women has become almost a cliche at this stage, albeit an accurate one.

Edit :sorry, wrong O'Neill. Cheers Beer Revolu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Ah now, the Theatrical Production of Asking For It is excellent, and it's clearly based on very good writing.

The weakness, so far as I could see, was her inability to write male characters without reverting to broad stereotypes: either knuckle dragging musclebound apes banging their chests and waving their willies at each other or total wet blankets.

This is ironic as Men badly writing Women has become almost a cliche at this stage, albeit an accurate one.

Louise O Neill??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Passengers who clap pilots for doing what they're paid to do -- namely, land a plane.

I've never ever been on a plane where this has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTDjWZ1VOm4

This is who I'm talking about, the "singer" Lisa O'Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

Jewellery. Bits of shiny metal stuck to ears & necks. I wear my wedding ring but only because of what it is and it's the plainest silver band we could find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Casey78 wrote: »
    I've never ever been on a plane where this has happened.

Practically every short hop flights such as Ireland to UK or Spain where 85% of passengers have had a couple of drinks before take off or in flight and there is even a fraction of an experience of turbulence or cross winds during landing.

Right up there in annoyance for me as when friends of performers try to initiate a standing ovation at a play when it was at best worth not walking out during the interval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Edit :sorry, wrong O'Neill. Cheers Beer Revolu
    Wrong O' Neill but her problems go far deeper than an inability to write male characters. They mainly stem from being an attention seeking, misandrist fcukwit with a victim complex and serious delusions of her own adequacy as a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Are you referring to the ad where the young fella says they’re going to the Poeirk?

No refering to this gem
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSuHrTfcikU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

retalivity wrote: »
    Face tattoos - wtf is wrong with you?
    And neck tattoos. All of them are terrible. Women with them look like skanks, and men with them look like scrotes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LirW wrote: »
    - Pre-NCT.
    Yes! Serious attack of the dumb with some there alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement