Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germans against bailing out Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

hiorta wrote: »
    Wouldn't 'bailing the Irish people out' just reinforce the very selfish thinking that brought all this about?
    What's wrong with taking the medicine?

most people dont like the taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

bob, sadly I think the debt/mortgage time bomb is going to go off whether the dole is cut or not. Once the German and French economies start to pick up the ECB will raise interest rates to control inflation in these countries. Ireland will lag some considerable time behind so the economy will be down the tubes still, the unemployed will then be sat in homes with increasing mortgage rates..........
    The reality is the country cannot afford to pay €200 + unemployment benefit to 500,000 people (about 1/4 of the potential workforce). I do think that Cowen et.al. should lead by example and be benchmarked to levels in countries of a similar population and economic status. This should proceed down the levels of the public sector and each person should have to justify their position. If the excess was cut from the top down, I suspect sizeable savings could be made with little effect on the numbers of frontline staff. The chances of this happening are extremely thin unfortunately.

Getting back on topic, why should the German's or any other country help out a country that pays its leader more that those os the G8 countries. Also, if the representatives of the people are dishonest, fraudulent, lazy, stupid etc. they take no responsibility and stay in their seats and are re-elected:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Fluffybums wrote: »
    bob, sadly I think the debt/mortgage time bomb is going to go off whether the dole is cut or not. Once the German and French economies start to pick up the ECB will raise interest rates to control inflation in these countries. Ireland will lag some considerable time behind so the economy will be down the tubes still, the unemployed will then be sat in homes with increasing mortgage rates..........
    The reality is the country cannot afford to pay €200 + unemployment benefit to 500,000 people (about 1/4 of the potential workforce). I do think that Cowen et.al. should lead by example and be benchmarked to levels in countries of a similar population and economic status. This should proceed down the levels of the public sector and each person should have to justify their position. If the excess was cut from the top down, I suspect sizeable savings could be made with little effect on the numbers of frontline staff. The chances of this happening are extremely thin unfortunately.

Getting back on topic, why should the German's or any other country help out a country that pays its leader more that those os the G8 countries. Also, if the representatives of the people are dishonest, fraudulent, lazy, stupid etc. they take no responsibility and stay in their seats and are re-elected:rolleyes:.

ireland and new zealand have a population which are very similar yet the prime minister of new zealand earns under 100k per year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

irish_bob wrote: »
    ireland and new zealand have a population which are very similar yet the prime minister of new zealand earns under 100k per year

Our TDs earn a bit more than that - lets see the savings start at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RoryH

Reading this thread makes me relieved that we elect representatives to debate political issues, and make decisions on them. Can you imagine the dail with with 166 average people there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

RoryH wrote: »
    Reading this thread makes me relieved that we elect representatives to debate political issues, and make decisions on them. Can you imagine the dail with with 166 average people there ;)

can you imaging the dail with 166 boards.ie politics forum members there :p

Advertisement