Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Wonder what’s opening in Thurles Shopping Centre where Ivan’s was.

I knew they were closing when I seen the notice saying they aren’t accepting debit/credit cards 6 weeks before closure.

If you ever see notices like that, it means the bank has removed credit/financial services from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Haven't heard of anything else opening in there. I doubt someone will open up another restaurant given the fate Ivans had and the Skillet Pot before it although the Skillet Pot lasted a long time. Years ago I worked in Dunnes and we'd go in there for lunch. Your wan would be watching the tables to see who ordered food and if you didn't she'd kick you out fairly sharpish!

The post office colours are up on the top of the unit where SportsSavers used be so it won't be long until they're open.

I read also that the council have bought the old driving range land and there's supposed to be a new Business Development Centre built there.

Anyone following Jim Ryan's thread about the 10% property tax increase around Tipp? Fvcken sickening :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

He's getting some backlash on the issue alright!

Oops! wrote: »
    He's getting some backlash on the issue alright!

Yep. My own comment is up to 29 likes already and he hasn't really bothered to reply to anyone.

Just goes to show how annoyed people are over it. At least Michael Lowry voted against it.

He never really replys to comments that questions his posts, most of it is ****e that he's taking credit for. Could never take to the man, seems too false to me....

• Advertisement

Yep. My own comment is up to 29 likes already and he hasn't really bothered to reply to anyone.

Just goes to show how annoyed people are over it. At least Michael Lowry voted against it.

I think i know who you are now, if i'm right your missus would have been a neighbour of mine growing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Apparently Costa Coffee are going in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Haven't heard of anything else opening in there. I doubt someone will open up another restaurant given the fate Ivans had and the Skillet Pot before it although the Skillet Pot lasted a long time. Years ago I worked in Dunnes and we'd go in there for lunch. Your wan would be watching the tables to see who ordered food and if you didn't she'd kick you out fairly sharpish!

The post office colours are up on the top of the unit where SportsSavers used be so it won't be long until they're open.

I read also that the council have bought the old driving range land and there's supposed to be a new Business Development Centre built there.

Anyone following Jim Ryan's thread about the 10% property tax increase around Tipp? Fvcken sickening :mad:

I know Kathleen a bit. Lovely woman. Makes a lovely cheesecake
    She retired rather than just closing down

Not sure why it has failed a few times since. There is a good demand for food there. Quigleys is only ok. Grand for a snack

mikep wrote: »

Now that's something I would greatly welcome. I don't like the coffee in Quigleys but I do like Costa :D It will certainly give Quigleys a run for their money.
    I know Kathleen a bit. Lovely woman. Makes a lovely cheesecake
    She retired rather than just closing down

Not sure why it has failed a few times since. There is a good demand for food there. Quigleys is only ok. Grand for a snack

She was very nice once you got talking to her and she got to know you. Other than that I never thought she did herself any favours with the way she would deal with the situation if you didn't buy anything. I've no problem with the thinking behind it but her demeanor could have done with a bit of improvement.

For instance if 4 of us went on lunch together and 3 of us got a sandwich and a coffee and the 4th didn't get anything, we'd sit at a table for 4 and he'd be kicked out pronto. It was like table roulette :D

I have a feeling that rising rent rates may be the reason for the number of failed attempts. AFAIK The Skillet Pot was there since that shopping centre opened c. 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's a nice coffee in that coffee shop beside Executive menswear. When's the square meant to be done up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

mikep wrote: »

Yes, Costa is opening very shortly in the Shopping Centre, the new staff are currently training in the Clonmel Stores.

There's a nice coffee in that coffee shop beside Executive menswear. When's the square meant to be done up?

Haven't been in there myself.

Work on the square is due to start in December I think. What a time to be doing something like that! Same kind of craic as redoing the road/roundabout near the Anner just as the schools start up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Terrible service anytime I've been in there. Charging for 'specialty' milk too. Hate that crap!
    Costa are muck though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I wonder how much they we paid for it and who sold it to them.

That area is surely prone to flooding as it is close to the river and if they build it up then the flood waters are going to go elsewhere!

I wonder how much they we paid for it and who sold it to them.

That area is surely prone to flooding as it is close to the river and if they build it up then the flood waters are going to go elsewhere!

It’s well up from the river. My home place is further up the road towards the golf club and behind the back garden there’s two fields and then the river. The field behind us can flood but the further into town you go the further back the river is from the road.

Tesco sold it to the council but I don’t know for how much. They paid something like 4.2 million for it years ago.

when did willy keenahans (spellign could be cat bad) electrical place beside monakiba burn down. only noticed it today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

when did willy keenahans (spellign could be cat bad) electrical place beside monakiba burn down. only noticed it today

I’d say it was just arson. Somebody tried to set fire to some nearby trees a few days beforehand.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’d say it was just arson. Somebody tried to set fire to some nearby trees a few days beforehand.

when did it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

when did it happen

Last weekend apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Last Saturday night. I was driving out of town at 11pm and fire services had the road closed between Monakeeba & the roundabout, they didn’t leave until 7am the following morning!

• Advertisement

Passed Kenehans last night while I was out for a walk, the first thing that hits you is the smell which is quite strong. It was only then I remembered the posts here about it being burned down.

That premises plus the little house beside it would make for a lovely small cottage but alas it's another casualty on the long list of derelict sites in Thurles.

On a sidenote, I love the two storey house across the road with all the trees. It looks a bit dilapidated and creepy but that's what I love about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,674 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looks like Feile is struggling for numbers, can't even give them away for free. Would hate to have paid full price for them a few months back. Almost certain to be the last year of it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Looks like Feile is struggling for numbers, can't even give them away for free. Would hate to have paid full price for them a few months back. Almost certain to be the last year of it.

They shouldn't have had another this year really. It was popular last year because people were starved of it and a lot of the bands that played last year are playing again this year which is kind of crap.

The idea of reaching out to a certain audience (i.e. people in their 40's who had gone to the Féile as teenagers) is not a good idea the second time around, it gets stale.

They're trying to use what I call the Home Alone tactic. The second one was a carbon copy of the first one and while that worked, this won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

They shouldn't have had another this year really. It was popular last year because people were starved of it and a lot of the bands that played last year are playing again this year which is kind of crap.

The idea of reaching out to a certain audience (i.e. people in their 40's who had gone to the Féile as teenagers) is not a good idea the second time around, it gets stale.

They're trying to use what I call the Home Alone tactic. The second one was a carbon copy of the first one and while that worked, this won't.

The target demographic can only justify a jaunt like that the odd time, what baby sitting arrangements, work commitments and the devastating effect of a hoolie on the body at this age! If you went last year, you might be tempted to keep the powder dry for something else this year.

corwill wrote: »
    The target demographic can only justify a jaunt like that the odd time, what baby sitting arrangements, work commitments and the devastating effect of a hoolie on the body at this age! If you went last year, you might be tempted to keep the powder dry for something else this year.

Exactly.

Too much of something is never a good thing. You need people to want it badly which is what happened last year.

I did say before that I hoped it was on every year but I'm seeing the error in my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Exactly.

Too much of something is never a good thing. You need people to want it badly which is what happened last year.

I did say before that I hoped it was on every year but I'm seeing the error in my thinking.

Ah it might have worked if they changed the line up or had a big headliner. Madness just having pretty much the same as last year.

I’m assume it’ll be a Starbucks for the planned Lidl café as Costa are moving in Thurles Shopping Centre. Either that or it’ll not go ahead. I don’t think O’Briens, Gloria Jeans etc would move to a stand-alone premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Could be insomnia

One of those teen disco things going on in the town earlier. Couldn’t help but notice the amount of guys in their late 20s-30s hanging around the square in Jettas and Golfs beeping at teenage girls. Some of these people I seen, I went to school with in the very early 2000s. Is this some sort of grooming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

More than a teen disco, it's intercert night.

Advertisement