Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room to someone but not at weekends. Advice sought.

Options
  • 15-10-2019 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Evening.

I rent a lovely 2 bed house in a very desirable part of south Dublin city. (D6).
    I have a decent size double spare room I never use and thinking to rent it out.
    I live on my own and work from home.

I am pondering the idea of renting it out however not for the full week rather Monday eve to Fri morning (Aka I want the place to myself Fri eve to Mon eve). I don't have to rent the room out and in no major rush to do so, but it's never used and could be a good source of extra income as my rent is very high. Just something I am thinking to get more info on.

Ideally I'd like to rent a professional who is a bit older or a mature student etc. Basically I don't want some 19 year old college kid living with me.

I am full aware of the rental crisis but is there a really a big demand for rooms let on a non-weekend basis? I have a car park space too which I don't use.

Any advice on this and what amount I would expect to charge etc..
    Also how would you go about finding said 'applicant' as described above?

In addition, has anyone on here had similar situ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,173 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

It'll be hard to get a professional in with this criteria. These set ups are usually for a student who goes home at the weekend.
    I realise this isn't really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Lesalare wrote: »
    Evening.

I rent a lovely 2 bed house in a very desirable part of south Dublin city. (D6).

I am pondering the idea of renting it out however not for the full week rather Monday eve to Fri morning (Aka I want the place to myself Fri eve to Mon eve). I don't have to rent the room out but it's never used and could be a good source of extra income as my rent is very high.

Ideally I'd like to rent a professional who is a bit older or a mature student etc. Basically I don't want some 19 year old college kid living with me.

I am full aware of the rental crisis but is there a really a big demand for rooms let on a non-weekend basis. I have a car park space too which I don't use.

Thanks in advance.

Probably 30% of whatever your current rent is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Whack it up on daft. Plenty of similar ads. Naturally you’ll need to discount from a room that’s to let 24/7 but you’ll probably get some interest. The only thing is that people will probably want to come back Sunday evening ahead of work next morning, so you’d only really have Friday and Saturday night to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

You don't sound very suitable for sharing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Whack it up on daft. Plenty of similar ads. Naturally you’ll need to discount from a room that’s to let 24/7 but you’ll probably get some interest. The only thing is that people will probably want to come back Sunday evening ahead of work next morning, so you’d only really have Friday and Saturday night to yourself.

Thanks for that. Yes I fully understand I would have to price it fairly due to circumstances. Just a few mates were telling me there would be people who work in the city during the week and head back down the country at the weekends. But as y0ssar1an22 stated, that's probably students.

I did take into account alright re. the Sun night. I would be cool with that as I know I am probably pushing it to include that night as part of the weekend.

Cheers again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

This would be fairly easy I would think. Plenty of people work in Dublin but can’t commute everyday. I’ve worked with people from Cork and the north in Dublin. They all worked 3-4 days in Dublin but lived at home, and went he at weekends.

Probably 30% of whatever your current rent is.

Thank you.

My current rent is 2400 per month.

Which equate to 732.00 per month to them. This would include parking included and bills etc. Would this be a fair amount or too high? I see a lot of places for a full week at 200 per week etc...

I'd probably knock it down to 700 PM obvs.

This would be fairly easy I would think. Plenty of people work in Dublin but can’t commute everyday. I’ve worked with people from Cork and the north in Dublin. They all worked 3-4 days in Dublin but lived at home, and went he at weekends.

Franz, perchance do you know how they found the accomodation they lived in here? Cheers.
    I am loath to put it up on Daft if honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you're not going to add anything constructive please don't bother posting. Ta.

Then I'll be constructive and suggest that you word your advertisement better than your op.

Then I'll be constructive and suggest that you word your advertisement better than your op.

What exactly is wrong with my original post? It's a question not an advert.
    I'm not trying to compete with people who rent out rooms for the entire week. It's a different situ and only available Mon - Fri.

Don't know why you need to get all stupid and smart arse about it just for the sake of trying to get your tuppence worth into a post which you clearly have nothing decent to contribute to either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 MondayBlues

Thank you.

My current rent is 2400 per month.

Which equate to 732.00 per month to them. This would include parking included and bills etc. Would this be a fair amount or too high? I see a lot of places for a full week at 200 per week etc...

I'd probably knock it down to 700 PM obvs.

You won’t get 700 a week for someone To be out on weekends, there’s a load of rooms available on daft. I’d say 500 at the most unless it’s a spectacular house.

You won’t get 700 a week for someone To be out on weekends, there’s a load of rooms available on daft. I’d say 500 at the most unless it’s a spectacular house.

Yeah I agree. I have to weigh up if I want to lose my weekly private space for 500 quid per month. Thanks for your feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

If you are renting the property, I would assume you'd need to get the permission of your landlord, first and foremost, before letting someone else live in the property, even Monday to Friday.

AulWan wrote: »
    If you are renting the property, I would assume you'd need to get the permission of your landlord, first and foremost, before letting someone else live in the property, even Monday to Friday.

Yes I am aware of that. I have spoken to her. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I’d suggest putting it on Airbnb and seeing can you get yourself a few regulars - professionals who work in Dublin regularly and need a bed for a night or two a few times a month.

There’s a bit more work to it in terms of prep but you’d retain more control and privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Evening.

I am pondering the idea of renting it out however not for the full week rather Monday eve to Fri morning (Aka I want the place to myself Fri eve to Mon eve). I don't have to rent the room out and in no major rush to do so, but it's never used and could be a good source of extra income as my rent is very high. Just something I am thinking to get more info on.

I am full aware of the rental crisis but is there a really a big demand for rooms let on a non-weekend basis? I have a car park space too which I don't use.

In addition, has anyone on here had similar situ?

Thanks in advance.
    Don’t bother your arse. Enough have a go landlords with mon - fri lets for stupid prices flooding the market as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Ive rented a room in Dublin on a Sunday evening to Friday morning/afternoon basis for differing periods in Dublin a few times over the last few years.
    €120 a week is the max max I think you could charge.
    There is a decent market out there of people looking for such arrangements.
    Does your lease allow you to sublet the room?

eurokev wrote: »
    Ive rented a room in Dublin on a Sunday evening to Friday morning/afternoon basis for differing periods in Dublin a few times over the last few years.
    €120 a week is the max max I think you could charge.
    There is a decent market out there of people looking for such arrangements.
    Does your lease allow you to sublet the room?

Thanks for that. Yes I have spoken with my landlady. She's fine with it. I look after the place very well and have been here a fair time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If its a good sized room, in a very nice house, free parking with the person having the house bathroom to themselves then €500 is OK, drop accordingly.

Plenty of people want a room like that, going home at the weekends to farms, play GAA, partners etc. or just general homebirds. Expect them to stay the odd weekend for nigthsout etc, maybe once every 8 weeks or so, especially around Christmas.

Have shared with people like that in the past, tend to be low maintenance, rarely cook, tend to bring up a couple of dinners with them from home etc etc.

But also expect them to want to stay most Sunday nights as some of them will be on public transport and will be coming up Sunday or some just don't want to face to a 3 hour drive on a Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Mon-fri lets are not uncommon and I was getting €400+ in Kilbarrack so €700 in D6 is not beyond the pale. Plenty of professionals around too. The issue is policing it, the odd issue weekend can turn into them staying frequently. If you don't mind paying tax on it Airbnb is another option. Also be as picky as you like, it's your home and if people don't like how you come across then they don't have to rent from you.

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    If its a good sized room, in a very nice house, free parking with the person having the house bathroom to themselves then €500 is OK, drop accordingly.

Plenty of people want a room like that, going home at the weekends to farms, play GAA, partners etc. or just general homebirds. Expect them to stay the odd weekend for nigthsout etc, maybe once every 8 weeks or so, especially around Christmas.

Have shared with people like that in the past, tend to be low maintenance, rarely cook, tend to bring up a couple of dinners with them from home etc etc.

But also expect them to want to stay most Sunday nights as some of them will be on public transport and will be coming up Sunday or some just don't want to face to a 3 hour drive on a Monday morning.

It's a decent sized room. bright etc. Good storage. The bathroom would be shared but as I work from home, they would have it to themselves in the mornings as I work from 10-7 or later. I would probably throw in a few meals each week if they wanted them. I cook a lot for my work so there is always dinner here. I'd go so far as putting a load of dinners in the freezer, if they wanted them: cool, if not: same. I would be happy to throw it in. The house is very private and secure. It would include all bills and wifi, cable TV etc... As I say too it includes a parking space and a 15 min walk to Ranelagh village/Donnybrook etc and on good bus routes.

I'd just like to find a situ that's a win win for both parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Rent out the room for the entire week. Book yourself into a hotel Friday to Sunday night then rent our your room out too covering the hotel costs. Advertise it as room available Friday night to Sunday. Perfect for quick city break etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes I am aware of that. I have spoken to her. Thanks.

After 6 months they can apply to become a tenant and there is little a landlord, or the main tenant, can do to refuse. Weigh up the risks of someone getting part 4 rights to your home also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don’t bother your arse. Enough have a go landlords with mon - fri lets for stupid prices flooding the market as it is.

Ignore nonsense like this.

Plenty of professionals are forced to work in Dublin 3-4 days per week, but have their homes down the country. Many would kill for a Mon-Fri hjouse-share such as the OP describes, rather than taking their chances with AirBnB each week or paying for a full week's share.

If they were staying 7 days /week, then paying 50% of the rent would be reasonable. If only staying 4 or 5 nights per week. then about 30% is reasonable. But maybe load it a little so that all bills are included - such people won't want to be quibbling about fractions of the ESB etc.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Rent out the room for the entire week. Book yourself into a hotel Friday to Sunday night then rent our your room out too covering the hotel costs. Advertise it as room available Friday night to Sunday. Perfect for quick city break etc etc.

Thanks but I don't think I want to live in a hotel every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Doing this is no problem but it would need to be from Sunday evening realistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Franz, perchance do you know how they found the accomodation they lived in here? Cheers.
    I am loath to put it up on Daft if honest.

One guy stayed with relatives. The other guy was staying with an older couple but that was advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Thanks but I don't think I want to live in a hotel every weekend.

Yes sir, your Majesty. I don’t want to live in a hotel ? With the towel pillows and mini cereal boxes at breakfast ? Yer all mad.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Yes sir, your Majesty. I don’t want to live in a hotel ? With the towel pillows and mini cereal boxes at breakfast ? Yer all mad.

I don't think it would be reasonable to expect said tenant to look after my 2 small animals whilst I am in said hotel eating said coco pops every Sat morning. Even if they do come in a small boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭doc22

One guy stayed with relatives. The other guy was staying with an older couple but that was advertised.

Staying with relatives is different dynamic to paying someone 700 quid a month for a room monday evening to friday morning

Advertisement