Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2010-2011 outlook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Lads! This could be the thread to document winter 2009/2010 (unless some mod-type person does the split-work).

But an appeal: could you give the location, date and time of your pics so we can build a chronological/geographical record?

:confused::D;):p:):o :mad: :( :eek: :cool::pac: :P

Folks,

I am not a moderator however could I kindly suggest that this thread stays on topic?!!

This is a thread dedicated to our outlook on the upcoming winter 2010-2011 not a thread dedicated to your pics of last year's Big Freeze !!

As far as I know there are photo threads on which you can post your pics !

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

A Froshty one for ya: Mount Leinster , approx 790m , 30th March 2010

130023.JPG

derekon wrote: »
    Folks,

I am not a moderator however could I kindly suggest that this thread stays on topic?!!

This is a thread dedicated to our outlook on the upcoming winter 2010-2011 not a thread dedicated to your pics of last year's Big Freeze !!

As far as I know there are photo threads on which you can post your pics !

Derek

This is forecasting, if we are all in the right mood for winter, it'll be a cold one!

The theory is indesputable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Two more dates: New Years Day 2010 - it started snowing here in Sandyford the previous day (New Years Eve) - and continued on and off New Years day. This was at 1pm.

IMG_1393-1.jpg

Same location at 3pm on the 6th January.

IMG_1427-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Paging Redsunset & anyway else who might know...

Monthly NAO since records began :

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/norm.nao.monthly.b5001.current.ascii.table

Every month in 2010 so far has been negative NAO.

This has never happened since records began, until this year.

I wonder what, if any, impact this will have on our winter?

Ummmm interesting,i was not aware of each month this year being negative,cheers.

Several years ago scientists made a breakthrough when they confirmed through the use of computer models that part of this climatic memory driving the NAO lies in the deeper ocean temperatures of the Atlantic and changes in these temperatures are largely responsible for variations in the NAO. Mark Rodwell, a climate researcher at the Met Office in the United Kingdom, was one of the researchers who made the connection. Based on this earlier work, he is now using similar models to make forecasts on the sign of NAO nearly one year in advance.

“Though this is largely a statistical relationship, there is a reason behind our forecasts. The idea is that if you want to make a forecast for the winter, then you need to look at sea surface temperatures of the winter before that,” says Rodwell.

The NAO is responsible for the path of strong storms that pass across the Atlantic, and these strong storms influence the temperatures of the ocean. By the spring of each year, the NAO has left a deep mark on the temperatures of the Atlantic.

During the summer, these ocean temperatures are largely preserved because a relatively thin layer of water heated by the sun covers the ocean beneath like a thermal blanket.

When the following winter rolls around, the warm layer is removed, revealing the sea temperatures from the previous spring, which in turn affect air pressure over the Atlantic and the next NAO.

So what was spring sea surface temps like this year??????

I seem to have forgotten where i can find this,can anyone help me.

Also this is how the PDO is doing up to august.
    ?id=725X1342&site=chartsgraphs.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprocesstrends.com%2Fimages%2FRClimate_pdo_trend_latest.png&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fchartsgraphs.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F02%2F01%2Frclimate-scriptsea-surface-temperature-sst-anomaly-trends%2F

And the latest AO is positive.

?id=725X1342&site=chartsgraphs.wordpress.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprocesstrends.com%2Fimages%2FRClimate_AO_recent.png&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fchartsgraphs.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F02%2F01%2Frclimate-scriptsea-surface-temperature-sst-anomaly-trends%2F

• Advertisement

Delving into my January folder I fear I may cripple the boards server trying to upload them all, lol. I'll upload some tommorrow, to tired now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    30th March 2010: Near Mount Leinster, 400m approx.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/358152/130014.JPG

130014.JPG

Sorry about the previous slightly big image:pac:

101228.jpg

THEY LOOK ALIKE! ha , wats his name BEASTERLY?

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    A Froshty one for ya: Mount Leinster , approx 790m , 30th March 2010

130023.JPG

Awh thats amazing !, im planning on goin up there at some stage this winter just to witness a scene like that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Carran hill, sligo, road outside my house, jan 2010, there is a road under this , honestly !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Gone a bit off topic to say the least..New thread?

• Advertisement

Yep just a tad and im guilty too

Tis great to look back and remember however we need to focus on the task at hand.

WINTER 2010/2011

Anyone know where i can get my sea surface temps for spring this year.
    i used to know this,probably buried among my hundreds of bookmarks.

Oooooooooookay then......

I give in ha

But to be honest the Picture forum doesnt get enough attention i think.

There does be more views of pictures on normal threads than in that.

But ye ..... so i checked the odds for a white christmas... 4.00 , shockin compared to last years 12.00!

Iancar29 wrote: »

I give in ha

But ye ..... so i checked the odds for a white christmas... 4.00 , shockin compared to last years 12.00!
    Bookies must have lost a packet last year! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I'll offer 15/1 it doesn't snow on Garnish Island. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Anyone hear that bloke on radio 1 from positive weather solutions on about the Winter 2010/11 forecast (and he brings it back to topic:))

Apparently he said it is going to be cold but not as cold as last Winter.

Excuse my ignorance if this has been written in another thread already.

pauldry wrote: »
    Anyone hear that bloke on radio 1 from positive weather solutions on about the Winter 2010/11 forecast (and he brings it back to topic:))

As last winter was exceptionally cold, that's an easy one to call, He could still be wrong though. (shivers ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Iancar29 wrote: »

I give in ha

agreed iancar29,maybe mods should think of putting a sticky on picture thread with the winter ahead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

redsunset wrote: »
    Found this in my bookmarks but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

pauldry wrote: »

That was the crowd that said we would have a barbeque summer with 30C being reached widely in the summer of 2009. Needless to say, it didn't happen. Long range forecasting is still notoriously difficult. I'm waiting for the postman from Donegal to make his pitch....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Long range forecasting is still notoriously difficult. I'm waiting for the postman from Donegal to make his pitch....:)
    Hey Diddle Diddle,
    The Cat Has The Fiddle,
    The Cow Jumped Over The Moon,
    November Will Be Mild
    Cause The Fox Is Wild
    But The Hare Says
    December Will Be Cold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

redsunset wrote: »
    Yep just a tad and im guilty too

Tis great to look back and remember however we need to focus on the task at hand.

WINTER 2010/2011

Is this the one?

sst_anom-100314.gif

sst_anom_loop.gif

Su, Is the gulf stream showing any signs of slowing down or shrinking from that image you posted? I would not be able to tell myself from that.

Another winter outlook here
    http://www.clareherald.com/news/3229-batten-down-the-hatches-for-winter-2010.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That was the crowd that said we would have a barbeque summer with 30C being reached widely in the summer of 2009. Needless to say, it didn't happen. Long range forecasting is still notoriously difficult. I'm waiting for the postman from Donegal to make his pitch....:)

are you sure that wasn't the uk met service? they subsequently abandoned their long range forecasting shortly afterwards because of the furore that arose over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Su, Is the gulf stream showing any signs of slowing down or shrinking from that image you posted? I would not be able to tell myself from that.

I dunno, the March image does show a strong cold anomaly in the Gulf and up along the US east coast at that time, but since then the anomaly loop and this actual temperature loop below sould suggest that all is fine?

sst_loop.gif

Thanks. would be interesting to see the run for the corresponding period last year

sst_anom-090405.gif

sst_anom-100404.gif

Right getting back to what i posted earlier, which got buried among some excellent photos by the way.

I'll repost just to refresh,

Several years ago scientists made a breakthrough when they confirmed through the use of computer models that part of this climatic memory driving the NAO lies in the deeper ocean temperatures of the Atlantic and changes in these temperatures are largely responsible for variations in the NAO. Mark Rodwell, a climate researcher at the Met Office in the United Kingdom, was one of the researchers who made the connection. Based on this earlier work, he is now using similar models to make forecasts on the sign of NAO nearly one year in advance.

“Though this is largely a statistical relationship, there is a reason behind our forecasts. The idea is that if you want to make a forecast for the winter, then you need to look at sea surface temperatures of the winter before that,” says Rodwell.

The NAO is responsible for the path of strong storms that pass across the Atlantic, and these strong storms influence the temperatures of the ocean. By the spring of each year, the NAO has left a deep mark on the temperatures of the Atlantic.

During the summer, these ocean temperatures are largely preserved because a relatively thin layer of water heated by the sun covers the ocean beneath like a thermal blanket.

When the following winter rolls around, the warm layer is removed, revealing the sea temperatures from the previous spring, which in turn affect air pressure over the Atlantic and the next NAO.

Ok so i look at the line of cold anomaly through the azores into maderia toward the mediterranean region on this years april 4 2010 chart.

This looks to be how the winter Nao affected this area by becoming negative and pushing the jet stream south.

This path became stormy with low pressure systems sucking the heat out of the water.

So if what the scientist says is correct,this is the sea surface temps to affect the Nao this winter.

Now looking at last years sea temps anomaly april 4 2009 that was in place to give us the strongly negative Nao we experience,what can we find?

Well pretty much the northern hemisphere is similar .

For example there's the similar ring of cold around a warm centre between asia and canada/north america,slightly different position but there.

Warmth around Greenland,however more this year.

Warmth off New York in both.

Big difference off africa and eastern South America.

So am i talking a load of sh/te here or is the situation somewhat similar.

Oh me heads gone now:D

Thoughts please.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

my thoughts are; given what the uk met said about the chances of a cold winter being one in seven and what you also said about a negative nao not necessarily meaning a cold winter for us is inevitable, i'm not going to raise my hopes up only to have them dashed by prevailing south westerlies and temperatures of 14c in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

my thoughts are; given what the uk met said about the chances of a cold winter being one in seven and what you also said about a negative nao not necessarily meaning a cold winter for us is inevitable, i'm not going to raise my hopes up only to have them dashed by prevailing south westerlies and temperatures of 14c in January.

I don't think the UKMET release their winter forecasts anymore. I thought that "one in seven" thing was what they said in their forecast for last winter?

I agree though, not inevitable at all that we will get a cold winter. I hope we get a good one, but only time will tell.

I don't think the UKMET release their winter forecasts anymore. I thought that "one in seven" thing was what they said in their forecast for last winter?

I agree though, not inevitable at all that we will get a cold winter. I hope we get a good one, but only time will tell.

Ye the 1-7 WAS for last year, they havent responded to any of the seasonal forrecasts... the paper is gettin that one wrong!

• Advertisement

colder weather sinking south into the middle of the month. This easterly flow looks like staying with us for at least a week from the weekend onwards
    ECM0-240.GIF?06-12

Advertisement