Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with such a housemate??!!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yes, you washed yourself thoroughly everyday, as did most people. Those who didn't stank Now that most homes are equipped with electric showers it's faster to do that in the shower. If an adult doesn't wash themselves everyday (be it in a shower, bath or the old fashioned way at the sink, they would not be living with me. Though why you would put yourself through the palaver of a strip wash and the various yogic positions that requires when 5 mins in the shower would get the job done is beyond me.

And if someone is petitioning to live with you as a licencee you most certainly can specify that you expect them to bathe daily if they're going to live with you.

So where do you draw the line ? Should they shave to suit you ? Wash behind their ears at your timing ? Wash their hair on particular days ? Should their toe nails be a certain lenght ? Should they change towels to your tune

Personally if any adult told me how often i should shower I wouldn't share with them as despite my showering most days to be told to do so would rattle me from the outset
    Clean their bodies everyday and brush their teeth would be where I would draw the line. As it would be for most people. It's not asking a lot now is it? And if that's something they regard as excessive they can look for accommodation elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Clean their bodies everyday and brush their teeth would be where I would draw the line. As it would be for most people. It's not asking a lot now is it? And if that's something they regard as excessive they can look for accommodation elsewhere.
    Most people would consider it incredibly invasive and rude to tell somebody else what you think they should do personally. It is asking a hell of a lot for you to decide what others should do. That is excessive, intrusive and rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It's NOT IF that person is looking to live in your house as a licencee. You can stipulaye anything you like. Mandatory pink fluffy slippers when in the living room. Like I said, it was laid down to me when I was looking to move in a house share as a licencee. I wasn't offended. I bathe at least once daily anyway so it wasn't an imposition.
    What about our friend Casper? He's living in the OP'S house and he doesn't keep his body clean. That's rude. It's excessive. It's expecting other people to put up with his stink. He's deciding for others that they have to live with it. He's imposing his (lack of) standards on them. This problem wouldn't have arisen if minimum hygiene standards were laid down before they agreed to let him move in. It's not imposing on anyone. He didn't have to live there if he didn't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

What if they didn't one day, say they got held up at work and was too tired when they got home? Would you kick them that night? Or would you wait for 2 days in a row?

What if they had a wash while you were out and you kicked them out because you thought they broke the agreement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Just work colleague. We took in his pet, as there was no place to get a room, it was very hard. So we decided to offer him a spare room..

Done up that room, as to be nice, and, we got a long very well..

His pet is living under your roof as well :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

If he's a friend it will be hard for you to tell him to go especially if you work together but he is abusing your friendship.

I would give him a few weeks to find a place and make sure you don't end up driving him all over the place looking

I don't think he will change How long has he been living with you OP ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

OP the whole thing is incredible and to think that Caspar has brought along a pet as well! That must be very hard on you and make the domestic situation even more challenging.

Just curious as to whether it's a large or a small animal and does Caspar maintain a better standard of hygiene for his pet than he does for himself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think the OP has gotten sufficient advice on how to deal with the situation they find themselves in. Unless I am contacted directly by the OP requesting the thread be reopened- thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement