Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for a full Ps1 Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,485 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

wrote:
    I also don't mind people buying games for its history or value or because it would be a nice conversation piece in their collection and not playing it.Because certain people see game collecting as preserving gaming history.

Exactly.

No matter whether we care or not, we're
    all part of a digital history.

If you're playing and collecting games you're actually something of a conservationist. Otherwise you'd be using mame/XBox Live etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

o1s1n wrote: »
    Exactly.

No matter whether we care or not, we're all part of a digital history.

If you're playing and collecting classic games actually something of a conservationist. Otherwise you'd be using mame/XBox Live etc.

Yeah without us over time those games would almost cease to exist and be taken out of circulation.

Like with action comics #1 nobody seen it as history or collectible and that's why there is only a handful around today.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,485 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kealy1994 wrote: »
    Yeah without us over time those games would almost cease to exist and be taken out of circulation.

Like with action comics #1 nobody seen it as history or collectible and that's why there is only a handful around today.

Yep! Kind of interesting when you realize you're on the forefront of something like that.

Videogames are huge. They're your long line of descendants entertainment - and most of us were relatively close to the beginning (with original hardware to boot)

Tis all fairly amazing.

You know what would be awesome some of the guys with complete collections all exhibiting their games with the matching consoles.
    Maybe even with old adverts playing of the games from the time
    on some tvs.

Definately something interesting to look into and I'm sure the Trinity Science Gallery would be the people to talk about to do that.I seen a great exhibtion a few months in there using innovative ways to play games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Speaking of which I'm kicking myself. Bought If my Heart had Wings from playasia and was looking forward to a lavish boxed copy. My order arrived without this game. I checked only to realise I got the digital version by mistake. Idiot. It cost 2 euro more for a boxed copy. Very tempted to order it again considering how hard it is to find these localised digital novels, just look at the price of Ever 17.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There was a great britan/Irish version of rule of rose.It hit shielfs and was recalled instantly almost.People have got their hands on it.look up dr retro aka psxcollecting videos or thread on his website playstationcollecting.com about it.

If you could post a link to the article that'd be great.
    According to the wiki page only review copies were circulated to magazines and the like, no shelf release.
    Review copies are unlikely to include box art and manuals, and the game disc itself is common across Europe, as I said.
    Ingame language is English and so on.
    But if there is a PAL version with an English language manual I'd be delighted to see it.

Found this, but the seller quoted seems to be a con merchant so the game could have had a faked manual
    http://www.playstationcollecting.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=65&threadid=74987

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Speaking of which I'm kicking myself. Bought If my Heart had Wings from playasia and was looking forward to a lavish boxed copy. My order arrived without this game. I checked only to realise I got the digital version by mistake. Idiot. It cost 2 euro more for a boxed copy. Very tempted to order it again considering how hard it is to find these localised digital novels, just look at the price of Ever 17.

Is that similar to those metal gear solid graphic novel games on the psp.
    Its more of a digital graphic novel than an actual game

http://www.playstationcollecting.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=65&threadid=74987

check this thread

Xed is Dr Retro and psxcollecting on youtube.

He is a Sony expert and I find most of my information off him.

He also sells his doubles on ebay but if you email him he gives better prices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is that similar to those metal gear solid graphic novel games on the psp.
    Its more of a digital graphic novel than an actual game

Kind of except you get to make decisions at certain points during the story that effect how it plays out. It's more like 999 on the DS.

I kind of don't get the whole only buying from a certain region mentality some people have. If a game is avaialable I'll buy it in whatever region I can get it in unless it's something like PAL PS1 or N64 game where the PAL versions are vastly inferior to the NTSC ones. I'd stay well clear of them unless it was a PAL exclusive in english. Then again I buy my games to play, collection is secondary.

Kind of except you get to make decisions at certain points during the story that effect how it plays out. It's more like 999 on the DS.

I kind of don't get the whole only buying from a certain region mentality some people have. If a game is avaialable I'll buy it in whatever region I can get it in unless it's something like PAL PS1 or N64 game where the PAL versions are vastly inferior to the NTSC ones. I'd stay well clear of them unless it was a PAL exclusive in english. Then again I buy my games to play, collection is secondary.

Sounds epic man ! :) I know there more common in the japanese region

Well Im a comic collector and I come from that mentality I want the cents sign not the p and I want the rarest variant I can afford.

I have nothing against anyone buying a more expensive or cheaper variation.Collecting the the rarest variation and getting it for a decent price is all apart of the fun of collecting/hunting for games.

Im a video game player first more than a collector too.But if I didn't have to urge to collect id just buy the cheaper digital version.Collecting is my hobby and collecting variations and first prints is fun for me to collect.

But everybody has their own way of collecting.

• Advertisement

But if I was a person from the US Id choose the pal stadium or buy a reprint rather than buying an original.30-50 thousand you cant really justify for a game..

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

finally remembered the sega game

mick & mack : global Gladiators, how is killing snot eco lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I don't know if you're interested in playing through all that you get as well, but if you get the chance, make sure to pick up Skullmonkeys if you don't have it already. Still my favourite game of all, fantastic claymation look, really funny game too. The cutscenes are the best cutscenes I have honestly ever seen, fantastic soundtrack. The only game soundtrack I still listen to separate to the game. It's quite a difficult platformer, but the password system makes it easy enough to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Flaregon wrote: »
    finally remembered the sega game

mick & mack : global Gladiators, how is killing snot eco lol.

Mc Donalds had something to do with that game if I remember correctly? Think I'd picked it up second hand, or borrowed it from a school friend for the game gear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Had Mick and mack global gladiators on the Amiga. Very good platformer.
    Had to collect McDonald's arches.

I don't recall skullmonkeys on the ps1 at all and I was very clued in to that generation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

ps1 at all and I was very clued in to that generation.

The game is quite mental, a sequel of sorts to The Neverhood, which was a point and click adventure with the characteristic clay-mation graphics.
    Skullmonkeys is batsh1t insane though, and the visuals and the music make up for a fairly ho-hum platformer underneath.
    I have it on the PS and it is a pricey game to find now.
    But that music, I have it on the PC somewhere and give it a blast now and again.
    I don't feel too bad about that as I paid the musicians who made it for the double cd soundtrack and I never got it, nor did they reply to my emails so screw them!
    But, just to give a sample of how insanely brilliant it is, here's the music and song from the Bonus Room.... enjoy.... (and listen all the way through!)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The game is quite mental, a sequel of sorts to The Neverhood, which was a point and click adventure with the characteristic clay-mation graphics.
    Skullmonkeys is batsh1t insane though, and the visuals and the music make up for a fairly ho-hum platformer underneath.
    I have it on the PS and it is a pricey game to find now.
    But that music, I have it on the PC somewhere and give it a blast now and again.
    I don't feel too bad about that as I paid the musicians who made it for the double cd soundtrack and I never got it, nor did they reply to my emails so screw them!
    But, just to give a sample of how insanely brilliant it is, here's the music and song from the Bonus Room.... enjoy.... (and listen all the way through!)

Im a big pc point and click adventure fan.
    I love Grim Fandago and I want to pick up
    the big box version but its expensive but
    ill get a good deal on it some day.The lucasarts
    classics edition will do for now.

I'm a big fan of the Neverhood aswell I had it as
    a kid but I lost my copy over time,I would want
    to get the physical release again someday but
    the prices are crazy ! : )

Its the same with most older pc games
    especially the big boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MrShivers

I regret my stupid decision, a few years ago when I was probably 12 or so I dumped all of my PS1 collection which included 100+ games because I bought an Xbox 360. :(

D'oh!

MrShivers wrote: »
    I regret my stupid decision, a few years ago when I was probably 12 or so I dumped all of my PS1 collection which included 100+ games because I bought an Xbox 360. :(

Dude..
    You just threw them all away or sold them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MrShivers

Dude..
    You just threw them all away or sold them ?

All in the feckin' bin mate, All in the feckin' bin....... *sighs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Surely a penance has to be enacted? A full play though of Legend of Dragoon?

Perhaps the full degree level course, run by Sparks, in Boulder Dash studies?

Become Atavans AA sponsor?

Polish the gold wallpaper in O1s1ns pantry?

Iron Seras cosplay outfits?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Surely a penance has to be enacted? A full play though of Legend of Dragoon?

That would be a fun, not a punishment......lol.

Really? It's quite possibly the worst RPG I've ever played. Souls destroyingly slow and generic.

I second this

People that like Legend of Dragoon played it when they were too young to know any better and would swallow up and old crap that was a JRPG. This is a scientifically proven fact based on a paper in Nature and the fact that I was once one of those people. It was a game so bad it quite literally almost put me off videogames.

People that like Legend of Dragoon played it when they were too young to know any better and would swallow up and old crap that was a JRPG. This is a scientifically proven fact based on a paper in Nature and the fact that I was once one of those people. It was a game so bad it quite literally almost put me off videogames.

I only first played it this year,I never heard of this game when I
    was young and I quite like it.A lot of people consider it the best jrpg on the system.Its not the best Jrpg I played or my favorite on the ps1 but it is certainly a good one.

Was there not parts of it that made you cringe at least. How bland the battle system was with only attack, item and defend and dragoon transformations that added nothing to it. The addition system slowing the game down to a crawl and killing the pace, they stole that from Mario RPG but extended it out so battles took way to long. The PAL version was even worse in this regard. It made the game a real slog with battles that out stayed their welcome. The story that was such a cynical cash in on FFVII right down to chasing a silver haired bad guy across the world and the laughably bad death scene at the mid way mark. Then there was the power rangers colour coding of the good guys and Roses lame reveal. It looked awful as well for a game from 2000.

Then there was the outrageously bad translation although it was so bad it almost became good. The one exception was how the main character treated Sharla which was pretty disgusting, extraordinarily sexist.

That game has so many problems but I think the worst is how cynical a cash in it is. Sony said they wanted a piece of FF and made a game that is totally designed by committee. It just felt so soulless to me. It got pasted in reviews at the time and rightfully so, GIA's review sums it up the best for me: http://thegia.psy-q.ch/sites/www.thegia.com/psx/lod/lod.html

Would like to hear what you thought about it. I'll try and hold back :P It amazes me people are willing to pay so much for it considering it's far from rare, awful and the amount of quality RPGs on the system more deserving of anyone's time.

• Advertisement

Really? It's quite possibly the worst RPG I've ever played. Souls destroyingly slow and generic.
    ROFL if u think thay way give me your copy's, I bet u have 5.....

p.s like me the good stuff on the ps1, mr retro gamer sir...

Advertisement