Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for a full Ps1 Collection

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Could be worth checking the regional variants of Amazon and sending a begging letter to some of the sellers to ship to Ireland for rarer games. Sometimes you get them cheaper or can find something hard to find on them. Sellers can be a bit cagey, had a hard time getting a copy of rule of rose from french sellers and never did get it (got the US version in the end) but it's worth a shot and it's another place to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Could be worth checking the regional variants of Amazon and sending a begging letter to some of the sellers to ship to Ireland for rarer games. Sometimes you get them cheaper or can find something hard to find on them. Sellers can be a bit cagey, had a hard time getting a copy of rule of rose from french sellers and never did get it (got the US version in the end) but it's worth a shot and it's another place to look.

What I have been doing is finding unsold completed listings on ebay
    and finding unsold copy's and messaging those sellers.
    Also I have have been on some australian video game collecting forums.

I still cant find blues clues blues big musical..its easily the hardest
    to find game on the system.
    Flameron a guy I met on here recently we went game hunting He said there was a copy in the second hand store he worked in and he would trade me for Digimon world.But it was sold and most likely to some kid who would most likely end up destroying it..

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

Rule of Rose is easy to get on ebay if you want a french/Italian etc variant
    But I'm waiting for the UK Variant.

Theres only a few variants I want.
    The first print cardboard box tekken and Mortal Kombat games.

Grand theft auto Australian exclusive Double feature

Hercs adventure UK variant.

Some of the big boxes for the NTSC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

just remember an epic memory from my childhood, thought it was DraculaX I always wanted, but no, must buy a mega drive + this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6F8BK69x6o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a fantastic game, one of the best castlevania games but unfortunately gets ignored. Soundtrack is by they girl that made the SotN soundtrack.

However whatever you do don't get the European version. They censored out most of the gore in it. the first stage is rather boring because they removed a lot of incidental details that make the stage stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

It's a fantastic game, one of the best castlevania games but unfortunately gets ignored. Soundtrack is by they girl that made the SotN soundtrack.

However whatever you do don't get the European version. They censored out most of the gore in it. the first stage is rather boring because they removed a lot of incidental details that make the stage stand out.

Played it when I was 4, only reason I mixed it up with the snes lol.
    this was my first castlevaina game and one of the first games I remember playing, so i can live with out a little blood if its the only 1 I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The PAL Megadrive version is more expensive anyway, it keeps going up and up in price for some reason.

I always found the first level so drag and dull. I was shocked to see how much they removed out of it when I eventually played an emulated japanese version of the game. They left it all in the US version as well. It really ruins the feel of the whole first stage and a few subsequent sections after it.

Master of the Universe

They removed the body from the first screen and then changed all of the red blood to a greeny brown. Don't think there's anything other than that though?

I just did a side by side of both running at the same time as a matter of interest - the gore is pixel for pixel the same, it's just a colour swap.

If I remember correctly, Eric's spear thingy doesn't impale him when he dies either.

Actually here we go, nice little side by side comparison with screens illustrating the above.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=3300

Edit - above is a comparison of Bloodlines/New Generation - I've never actually played Vampire Killer. Must give it a blast to see if there's anything different again.

Well there's a few other slight cuts later on but I always felt the first stage was very bland and barren compared to the rest in the game. When I played the japanese version I understood why because they took out those little incidental details. Sure it it doesn't affect gameplay at all but the level just feels so empty without those hanging bodies and I love the way they swing and react if you hit them. It seems small but that kind of attention to detail can add a lot to the game and that first level just feels a lot busier.

There's really no point getting the EU version considering it's inferior and more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What if you had of got it super cheap? Can I keep mine?
    I much prefer it to the snes castlevania.

Edit: jeez it really has gone up in price lately. It's getting really difficult to get good priced games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kealy1994 wrote: »
    Grand theft auto Australian exclusive Double feature

The what now?

Is that the collectors edition?
    It has GTA, GTA2 and GTA:London, because thats common enough

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Edit: jeez it really has gone up in price lately. It's getting really difficult to get good priced games.

Its an absolute pain in the hole.Thats one game I kept putting off getting. Last time I checked to buy it, you could pick it up for about €30-40 complete.

Game prices just keep going up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I saw this thread and all I can think of is the time when Gamestop on Henry street had about 300 copies of Rayman and Tom Clancy Rainbox Six for ps1 ha :)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Augmerson wrote: »
    I saw this thread and all I can think of is the time when Gamestop on Henry street had about 300 copies of Rayman and Tom Clancy Rainbox Six for ps1 ha :)

Rainbow 6 ahh the memories.I loved that game and spent way too many hours on it.Going to head over to you tube now for some nostalgia:).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Loved Rainbow Six too, had it initially on the N64, and later on PC. Great game!
    Do any of the more recent ones play like that at all? Where you could plot out the route of entry and any check points for the different teams?

I heard the console ports of it were pretty rancid compared to the PC original. The older games are so tactical and sim like I can't see them working on a console.

Unfortunately the series has become your standard cover shooter since Lockdown, which fans have christened 'dumbdown'. I did love Rainbow Six Vegas but not so much the second game.

Master of the Universe

Only version I ever had was the first on the PC. Absolutely loved it. Not sure why I never picked up any of the sequels now that I think about it.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

o1s1n wrote: »
    Only version I ever had was the first on the PC. Absolutely loved it. Not sure why I never picked up any of the sequels now that I think about it.

I played rainbow six vegas2 a few times and was good craic (especially on line) as it was full of glitches and great fun was had.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I heard the console ports of it were pretty rancid compared to the PC original. The older games are so tactical and sim like I can't see them working on a console.

Unfortunately the series has become your standard cover shooter since Lockdown, which fans have christened 'dumbdown'. I did love Rainbow Six Vegas but not so much the second game.

The original was decent enough on the N64, but yeah, the PC version was much better (as with most games of the time!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Wonderful system but there are waaaay too many games to even think about completing a collection. I'd be just trying to collect the interesting or really good ones. I'd also not be crazy about the PAL editions because those boxes used to crack or break if you so much as looked at them the wrong way. Maybe you could get a load of replacement boxes to swap out with the ones that are damaged?

I'd be more inclined to go with Neo Geo Pocket or something manageable if I wanted the entire run.

Advertisement