Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellboy 3/reboot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Smoke on the water riff nicely used. I enjoyed the new trailer. Sold it for me more than the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

I've a feeling this will be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Venom wrote: »
    Everything in the second trailer looked good except for Hellboy :(

He seems so short

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Venom wrote: »
    Everything in the second trailer looked good except for Hellboy :(

What's wrong with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

What's wrong with him?
    The arm looks weird to me. Maybe I'm remembering the original with rose-coloured glasses, but the arm didn't look as obviously fake as it seems to in these trailers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What's wrong with him?

The actor's voice seems wrong for the part along with terrible comic timing, leaves this version of the character just feeling off somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,492 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First reviews are out. Looks like the concerns were well founded...

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/hellboy-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yikes 11% on Rotten Tomatoes!
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hellboy_2019

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They released a sizzle reel trailer of the gore last week, and it looked terrible; CGI splatter that just gave off this sense of a bad video game aimed at adolescents. Will likely stay clear. Was never expecting Neil Marshall to be able to match the style of DelToro, but sounds like he hasn't reigned in his trashy sensibilities..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'm gonna see this tomorrow, haven't seen a bad film in a while :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Whats sad is Del Toro and the rest of the cast were all up for a third movie which no doubt would have been just "good" at the very least. Instead they opted for this cgi **** show :(

Milla Jovovich.... wtf were they thinking?? :mad:

Of course there was conflict behind the scenes too
    https://www.thewrap.com/hellboy-david-harbour-neil-marshall/

Waiting for someone from the film to come out and say 'we made this for the fans'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

nix wrote: »
    Whats sad is Del Toro and the rest of the cast were all up for a third movie which no doubt would have been just "good" at the very least. Instead they opted for this cgi **** show :(

Ron Perlman in recent years had shot down the notion of doing another film, though Del Toro had wanted to eventually finish off a trilogy and the ideas planted in Hellboy 2. He particularly didn't want to go through the make up and prosthetics every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ron Perlman in recent years had shot down the notion of doing another film, though Del Toro had wanted to eventually finish off a trilogy and the ideas planted in Hellboy 2. He particularly didn't want to go through the make up and prosthetics every day.

Mignola wasn't going to sign off on Del Toro's treatment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I watched a podcast where his attitude was the complete opposite, so much so that he didnt even like talking about the subject of it getting a reboot because it made him mad/sad, he also went on to say him and Del Toro were trying to get it going for years.

Found it pretty quick, here it is:

Mignola wasn't going to sign off on Del Toro's treatment either.

What treatment?

I havent actually delved into this subject much, Ron could be talking out his arse in the above vid for all i know, but I got the impression he was sincere.

Saw it yesterday.

Can't remember the last time I watched a movie so passively.
    Story is basic which would be fine but whatever. They keep acting like we expect Hellboy to join the baddie but obviously he's not going to. The action is pretty forgettable but badly shot. Some shaky cam but shot fairly close up and awkwardly edited, the fact I picked up on all that it should tell you how boring it was.

Effects are for the most part bad. There's one scene towards the end where it literally reminded me of the Scorpion King. Creature designs some are great others not so much.
    The script is awful, there's multiple flashbacks throughout the movie which came off as lazy. The jokes, oh god the jokes! They're awful don't think I got a single laugh out of them, really felt like humour meant for a younger audience. I think they were hoping if they made the film R-rated with quips it would be like Deadpool, poor choice.

Acting wise. It seems like everyone thought they were making a different movie. David Harbour is totally lost under the prosthetics, feels like he's struggling with them too. He just growls all his lines, not awful just not anything special. The look of Hellboy is also not good with the lighting, in shadow it's okay but that's rare. Ian McShane, I love Ian McShane but he seems a little unsure about how to play the character. In fact the father/son dynamic in general doesn't really work all that well and it's fairly pivotal. Milla Jovovich is dreadful, haven't seen any of the RE movies but not missing much I guess. All her lines feel like trailer lines. The other agents are not memorable at all.

Lot of violence in the movie, CGI blood (boo!) and it's so over the top it's kinda funny but on the other hand when there's moments where we're meant to feel something it's hard to considering all the violence preceding it. Lot of swearing but it feels forced. The soundtrack is laughably bad, heard a few lyrics with devil/demon etc. and most of it sounds like stock Rock music. So many scenes are just thrown in there for not much reason,
    Giant Scene and Baba Yaga for example
    feels like they just wanted to put some stuff in from the comics or for the trailers, very forced.

I was mostly uninterested in it, feels very cheap. I don't think it's as bad as the reviews indicate but it's just totally pointless really. If it was on Netflix or something I think people wouldn't care as much. It's just a bit of a mess and the fact I was pretty bored with a movie full of swearing and violence with a giant Devil and Ian McShane is not a good sign.

Two Credits scenes, First was pointless enough, didn't stay for the second seems sequel batey from what I read. The most major sequel bate comes before the credits anyway. If you haven't seen Shazam and want to head to cinema before Endgame, I guess this will kill 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Think I'll wait till its on the telly.

Jesus that guy is annoying. PUT YOUR ******* HANDS DOWN!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Mr E wrote: »
    Jesus that guy is annoying. PUT YOUR ******* HANDS DOWN!"

Aye one of those YouTube twats where the thumbnail will tell you what you need to know.

Not sure how seriously TheWrap article should be taken. Harbour seems like a solid person but of course it's impossible to know what someone is really like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Robbie Collins on BBC theorised if this was a case of studio hashing the film together, noting that Neil Marshall apparently hasn't been seen on the press tour, and thus that he has walked away / was fired from the final product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is this the new Fantastic Four of bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I saw it tonight , Really enjoyed it not meant to be taken too seriously , Obviously won't touch the previous 2 but I enjoyed for what it was an ultra violent take on the character with a very similar tone to the previous ones

I've seen much worse than this. I enjoyed it Reviews are overly harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is getting eaten alive by the critics but I felt it was good dumb fun and is better than a lot of similar films like Van Helsing or Venom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Seen it last night.
    It is not as bad as reviews are making it out to be. According to some it is the one of the worst movies this year. Now where close.

It's just a popcorn movie. Switch off your brain and enjoy. I'd give it a 6.5/10 maybe a 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of the effects, monster design and costumes are absolutely brilliant.

Not a big fan of gore these days, but I thought those scenes were done very well. Certainly had me cringing multiple times.

Sure it's cheesy AF, but it included plenty of stuff from the comics (Baba Yaga) and the boar creature / changeling stuff.

I think my wife found it cheesier than I did, but she still enjoyed it plenty. She didn't like links to Arthurian legends one bit, but I was fine with it.

Over all a solid comic film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Reviews for this are baffling. It's a really solid movie with some amazing design and good effects, especially considering the low budget compared to similar movies.

Good gory fun. Pretty much enjoyed it as much as the first two and easily preferred It over the obscenely overrated Captain Marvel.

Really doesn't deserve the incredibly poor reception.

Saw this in the end, long after the fuss and anti-hype died down and ... yeah, that was total shít.

Sometimes good films flop at the box-office; sometimes bad films soar; but sometimes, just sometimes, bad films deservedly fail. I don't think anyone every truly expected something as artfully macabre as DelToro's version could be replicated, but equally I doubt anyone thought the reboot would be this slapdash and clumsy. And so very, very ugly, in all respects. Most visible in that respect was the astoundingly bad FX, with CGI at times as bad as those early-doors, 1990s attempts - while even some of the practical effects were plain shoddy. God it just looked so cheap at times; the last scene bathed in this weird purple light that made it look like a CBBC production.

Harder to forgive was the graceless, exhausted script, the otherwise talented David Harbour simply shouting his way through the movie with noisy exasperation, via lines neither funny nor endearing. A quintessential example of how shouting lines and f-bombs doesn't equate to humour. As for the plot, well when it wasn't jumping location, it was throwing another expository flashback into the mix, and while it wasn't completely incoherent, it was ... again, clumsy.

It also acted as final confirmation that Neil Marshall pulled a complete fluke when he made "The Descent", because the trashy downward trajectory since then - save the occasional directorial credit for Game of Thrones - has been pronounced.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

pixelburp wrote: »
    Saw this in the end, long after the fuss and anti-hype died down and ... yeah, that was total shít.

Sometimes good films flop at the box-office; sometimes bad films soar; but sometimes, just sometimes, bad films deservedly fail. I don't think anyone every truly expected something as artfully macabre as DelToro's version could be replicated, but equally I doubt anyone thought the reboot would be this slapdash and clumsy. And so very, very ugly, in all respects. Most visible in that respect was the astoundingly bad FX, with CGI at times as bad as those early-doors, 1990s attempts - while even some of the practical effects were plain shoddy. God it just looked so cheap at times; the last scene bathed in this weird purple light that made it look like a CBBC production.

Harder to forgive was the graceless, exhausted script, the otherwise talented David Harbour simply shouting his way through the movie with noisy exasperation, via lines neither funny nor endearing. A quintessential example of how shouting lines and f-bombs doesn't equate to humour. As for the plot, well when it wasn't jumping location, it was throwing another expository flashback into the mix, and while it wasn't completely incoherent, it was ... again, clumsy.

It also acted as final confirmation that Neil Marshall pulled a complete fluke when he made "The Descent", because the trashy downward trajectory since then - save the occasional directorial credit for Game of Thrones - has been pronounced.

Re: Marshall - if you haven't seen Dog Soldiers, you need to remedy that. But yes, it's been a downward streak since, although about half to 2/3 of Doomsday was good enough fun to make me give that film a pass because, well, I can't find it in myself to dislike a film that's essentially Escape From Scotland with the serial number filed off and the names changed...

I didn't think this was awful - forgettable, sure. A weak script, yep. But a lot of fun at times - the set piece where he fights the three giants was great, as was the encounter with Baba Yaga and the Lobster intro scene. The supporting cast weren't up to much, which I suspect is partly script and partly casting. But then, I think a lot of people gloss over how tediously cheesy a good bit of Del Toro's films were because they had that Del Toro production value alongside Perlman as Hellboy.

I mean, I don't think Hellboy 2019 deserves a particularly strong defence. But it's hardly a Venom or Fantastic Four. It's just alright with some good bits, at a time when we're getting quite a few notably good adaptations or treatments of genre pieces across film and TV generally.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    Re: Marshall - if you haven't seen Dog Soldiers, you need to remedy that. But yes, it's been a downward streak since, although about half to 2/3 of Doomsday was good enough fun to make me give that film a pass because, well, I can't find it in myself to dislike a film that's essentially Escape From Scotland with the serial number filed off and the names changed...

I saw Dog Soldiers years and years ago, and while I thought it a punchy b-movie at the time, I'm now wondering if it has aged as well as I remember it. Doomsday was just bad. Entertaining in parts, but kinda awful. More Escape from LA than New York ;)
    Fysh wrote: »
    I didn't think this was awful - forgettable, sure. A weak script, yep. But a lot of fun at times - the set piece where he fights the three giants was great, as was the encounter with Baba Yaga and the Lobster intro scene. The supporting cast weren't up to much, which I suspect is partly script and partly casting. But then, I think a lot of people gloss over how tediously cheesy a good bit of Del Toro's films were because they had that Del Toro production value alongside Perlman as Hellboy.

Naw I remember how cheesy the DelToro films were, especially the sequel where the Abe/Hellboy dynamic was played for laughs via their pining over respective loves; what made it work though was the humour was better written - and actually funny - while the cast more game & charismatic. Like I said the "humour" in this version seemed to consist of David Harbour SHOUTING RESIGNED EXPOSITION. And I like Harbour, but ye gods his Hellboy was an insufferably loud ass.

Disagree about the troll fight; the FX in that was so colossally (haha!) bad I couldn't engage it with; globs of badly rendered blood reminding me of the terrible CGI blood from 1998's Blade, while Hellboy looked like a cartoon character throughout. I was ready for a R-rated Hellboy, but it has to do the 'R' well, not fling F-bombs at every line & if even a severed head can't convince? Hoo-boy.

The Lobster inclusion could have been good, but again the script just threw him in for 2 minutes, to much fanfare, then never returned or had any importance to the plot; a good example of fan service done poorly.

I dunno *shrug* I have a fondness for Hellboy cos he's a good character in an interesting world, however one decides to approach the tone of it, but that film was a stinker; bad script, bad casting (oh yeah I haven't even mentioned the two 'english' main characters from the Dick VanDyke school of accents), bad special effects, bad pacing. Yeah, it kinda was as bad as Venom and Fantastic Four.

Advertisement