Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Well got the 8pm showing in Liffey Valley (was nearly 8:25pm by the time the film started...so many ads).

Have to say I loved it. Yes there were a number of plot holes/errors in the film (why no tsunami after the bomb detonated only ~6 miles out to see?) if you were to look closely at each scene but I can forgive those. I really liked how the story came full circle back to the League of Shadows, Wayne's relationship with Alfred, etc. I was also carried along by the soundtrack...that deep bass for me just kept the last 60 minutes moving along at a great rate.

Really enjoyed it and will most likely go see it a second time. Hats off to Chris Nolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Honestly, what is your problem?

Would you have preferred him to do nothing?

Or maybe insist on no photo's?

You are an example of that well used phrase, "You can't please all the people".

If it was a PR stunt you can bet that there would have been a lot more of a to-do made about it on his way in. Not after the visit.

Actually whats your problem!? :rolleyes:
    I just posted my opinion. Not with the intention to annoy. Or troll. Or whatever.

But YOU took offense to it. to quote what you said "You can't please all the people" - YOU are the person who you are refering to. Rather than coming back and stating your opinion in objection to mine (which is cool, hey this is a forum) no... you get back with "whats your problem!?" :rolleyes: rather than being mature. Clearly my post didnt please you.

ps,
    in case you dont know (which clearly you dont) Hollywood is one fuc*ed up town. the business is mental. many an actor has seemingly done something "good" while the truth was they were just doing some personal pr work.

I dont know Bale. You dont know Bale. But you cant put anything past anyone in Hollywood. I want to believe this is bale out of the goodness of his heart. I genuinely do. I like the chap as an actor. But reality is actors have PR agents. So my question, even tho you disagree with it is:

Was this bale being a very decent man or was it cooked up between him and his Pr agent... that being, "Christian, make an unoffical stop to one of those hosptials. You'll look golden. be seen as a caring man. it'll make the news" .... which it did.

Pfft...

That was not ME taking offense, that was me pointing out you have a problem, (imo!)

YOU are the one who is cynical (imo). I ask what is your problem because you seemingly can't take a nice thoughtful deed at face value but feel the need to twist it into something cynical.

As I asked before...
    What would you have him do?

Oh and ps, nice patronising tone in your post, very mature indeed.(imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Who cares what his motives are, at the end of the day, some kids who witnessed a horrific event got cheered the fcuk up by a surprise visit from the hero of the movie they all paid to see. That can only be a positive thing.

Maybe I am cynical...

But arent we talking about the same guy who came off as quite the ass 3 years ago on the set of terminator salvation. Tearing into the guy but then stating he was a nice guy. That they were done professional.
    Oscorp wrote: »
    Who cares what his motives are, at the end of the day, some kids who witnessed a horrific event got cheered the fcuk up by a surprise visit from the hero of the movie they all paid to see. That can only be a positive thing.

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

It is a bit stupid alright.

Blake explains that when Bruce turned up to his orphanage one day. he had that same "look" in his eyes that Blake has. Both having lost his parents too. So he knew there was more. He must of been Batman. Thats what the movie tells us.

But by saying that.... doesnt it sound a little stupid? lol. Like ok Blake copped onto he was batman. But Gordon, harvey dent, even selina kyle (etc) having both known bruce wayne and batman didnt twig it? :pac:

THAT is the actual explanation? Seriously? I was so baffled by this I assumed there was a scene from one of the previous films that set this up, but I guess not.

I am genuinely exhausted from watching this film....the amount of exposition, plot, characters, action....there's enough for about 2 and 1/2 films in there. I only had a very general sense of what was going on at any given time, ask me for specific details on characters/plot devices and I could not have supplied them. I suspect many couldn't.

Genuinely dissapointed in the Bane vrs Bat fight scenes - could there not have been a bit more than slugging it out fisticuffs? Enjoyed Cillian Murphy's cameo a great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Did Bale absail down from the window above?

Nice gesture though irrespective of motive.

Anyway, having digested the second viewing a little more, my main gripe is the same as nix - Blake knowing Wayne is Batman based on the head of him :pac: Not a major gripe at all, and as I said earlier, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of it. However, would have been nice if Blake had figured it out with detective work!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

The prison isnt the same as it was when Bane was there & Talia were there. The League of Shadows dealt "justice" in there. And its known as hell because escape is always visible and an inch within reach with the climb and jump. Theres nothing to stop you but most just cant make it. Having freedom constantly that close would be torture. And the doctor was paid by bane to keep him alive.

Theres been a strange amount of things people are claiming as plot holes that really were explained or easily interpreted. It really is a film people need to watch more then once. A massive amount happened in it and a lot of it seems to have been missed by people.

Way to condescend... The prison was far from hell, which was pretty pivotal to the plot. While we're on the subject, are we supposed to believe in all that time no one could fashion a grappling hook to bridge the gap? They didnt seem short on rope, made from pubes no doubt, perhaps that's why it was described as hell, having to climb out on a pube rope?

Seeing as you watched the film more closely than me, any idea why none of the cops could escape from a sewer system in 4-5 months. And was that washing powder Bane was dropping down to them in the supplies?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Was Blake's 'vibe' about Bruce Wayne/Batman not confirmed to himself by the 8 year absence of both? Hence, why he never said anything to anyone? And the chat in Wayne Manor was just an attempt to get Wayne to trust him?

jpm4 wrote: »
    Genuinely dissapointed in the Bane vrs Bat fight scenes - could there not have been a bit more than slugging it out fisticuffs? Enjoyed Cillian Murphy's cameo a great deal.

Cillian Murphy cameo was good :P

I thought the bane vs batman fight in the sewers was awesome (my favourite scene) Really showed batman was no match for him.

On the subject. I think the one problem with bane was the miranda tate thing. Like bane is built up as this bad ass. For over two hours. But then, last 20 minutes its revealed he aint top-dog. She is. Then he just gets killed easily by catwoman.

I knew going into the film Bane was breathing gas. To help with pain. I thought that was going to be the weakness Batman used to defeat Bane. But it wasnt. In fact, it never really explained alot about the mask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

rossc007 wrote: »
    They didnt seem short on rope, made from pubes no doubt, perhaps that's why it was described as hell, having to climb out on a pube rope?

Not interested in getting involved in this spat but that was pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Way to condescend... The prison was far from hell, which was pretty pivotal to the plot. While we're on the subject, are we supposed to believe in all that time no one could fashion a grappling hook to bridge the gap? They didnt seem short on rope, made from pubes no doubt, perhaps that's why it was described as hell, having to climb out on a pube rope?

Seeing as you watched the film more closely than me, any idea why none of the cops could escape from a sewer system in 4-5 months. And was that washing powder Bane was dropping down to them in the supplies?

What would make it a hell then? Fire? Brimstone? Lads with horns sticking pitchforks up everyones arse? What exactly is this grappling hook going to hook onto? They cant see anything to hook at the top and everything on the climb is small grips and flat ledges?

And who said no cops escaped? You saw a couple escape but get caught and a grenade get thrown down the hole. A couple making their way out and large numbers managing the same are different things. You seem a little obsessed with the dirty clothes too. Do you work for Daz by any chance?

And I wasnt intending to be condesending but there really was a massive amount that happened. It was constant references and activities for 150 minutes. Things are going to be missed and if you look through this thread a lot of what people werent sure about has been easily explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

What would make it a hell then? Fire? Brimstone? Lads with horns sticking pitchforks up everyones arse? What exactly is this grappling hook going to hook onto? They cant see anything to hook at the top and everything on the climb is small grips and flat ledges?

And who said no cops escaped? You saw a couple escape but get caught and a grenade get thrown down the hole. A couple making their way out and large numbers managing the same are different things. You seem a little obsessed with the dirty clothes too. Do you work for Daz by any chance?

And I wasnt intending to be condesending but there really was a massive amount that happened. It was constant references and activities for 150 minutes. Things are going to be missed and if you look through this thread a lot of what people werent sure about has been easily explained.

I'm sure Bane wasn't being literal when he used the word hell, if he was then I am even more disappointed with where Bruce ended up. But I expected at least worse then mountjoy, you know heroine, rape, nothing to eat but rice crispies.

When the cops who are free meet up there are only 12 of them, I think, hence the mickey fit Gordon takes when Foley goes missing. So I think its safe to assume no one escaped, its not eluded to anyway.

Good joke about the Daz, its practically the same thing I said in my last post, but when you say it its funnier for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

jpm4 wrote: »
    THAT is the actual explanation? Seriously? I was so baffled by this I assumed there was a scene from one of the previous films that set this up, but I guess not.

I am genuinely exhausted from watching this film....the amount of exposition, plot, characters, action....there's enough for about 2 and 1/2 films in there. I only had a very general sense of what was going on at any given time, ask me for specific details on characters/plot devices and I could not have supplied them. I suspect many couldn't.

guys, ill just take it from imbd: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/faq a good read there if you have any other 'common' questions.

John Blake discovered as a child when Bruce came for a charity donation to the orphanage Blake resided in. Upon seeing Bruce, Blake worked out he had severe suppressed emotions that would give him a motive to become The Batman who appeared years later. He challenges Bruce with his suspicions of his alter ego when visiting. Though Bruce does not confirm his theory, he doesn't deny it either giving Blake the evidence that Bruce really is The Batman.

In short, He wasn't 100% sure when he first visited him.

Regarding some hate posts earlier in the thread, I found it funny about the 'plot holes' people are talking about. A lot of things are just there and even explained very quickly and precisely. Sometimes i understand why movies nowadays spoon feed the viewers everything. every fcking thing.

This is a super hero movie and is loosely based on the KnightSaga and Nolan is a very practical director that did some amazing job for everything in the film. If people wanna whine about it please do it in smart way eg. starting from the physics in the film, or lets say specific medical knowledge of getting recover from that spine injury in such a short period of time and in such condition is closing to 0.00000000001%. Batman's strong body+ mind of steel made everything happens, a superhero, alot comical relief, fighting = pow pow pow, cheesey scenes/ending, bam, done. How can anyone not enjoy this film is beyond me.

gonna cook up my review tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

When the cops who are free meet up there are only 12 of them, I think, hence the mickey fit Gordon takes when Foley goes missing. So I think its safe to assume no one escaped, its not eluded to anyway.

Nobody showed up because they were too afraid. That's implied in the scene, with Foley being used as an ''every cop'', who is initially afraid then regains hope and courage when he sees Batman has returned.

Nobody showed up because they were too afraid. That's implied in the scene, with Foley being used as an ''every cop'', who is initially afraid then regains hope and courage when he sees Batman has returned.

He should of stayed at home :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

One continuity problem I had. They are breaking into the stock exchange place and they need 9 minutes until the program is finished. When the program is finished, it is night time :confused: Seriously long 9 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Its just PR work guys.

Thats not to say bale isnt a good guy (you'd have to know him personally to make that judgement) But this is all PR.

Doesn't matter if its a PR stunt or if he did it himself, either way it is a nice touch. Those people went through hell, give them a break and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Grimebox wrote: »
    One continuity problem I had. They are breaking into the stock exchange place and they need 9 minutes until the program is finished. When the program is finished, it is night time :confused: Seriously long 9 minutes
    Yes I spotted that too ,a serious error allright.
    Stock Exchange would close at 5pm and seeing as it was probably August in the film (snow didnt come for another 3 months) it wouldnt be dark for at least another 3 hours.
    Also I'm sure if the Stock exchange was hacked like that or even broken into any trades would be null and void and Wayne Industries wouldnt lose all its money.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Saw it earlier and I have to say it was a great film and ties a lot of loose ends

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if its a PR stunt or if he did it himself, either way it is a nice touch. Those people went through hell, give them a break and enjoy it.

I agree its a nice touch :)

It should be noted however some of the victims families are trying to sue warner brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

It should be noted however some of the victims families are trying to sue warner brothers.

Really?
    Thats sad to be honest. How is WB to blame? Let them take on the NRA instead.

Anyway, this thread is for discussion of the movie and apparently its plot holes :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

humanji wrote: »
    Actually, in his defence, I'd say no studio would allow him to do that. There's too much money to be made from the franchise, even with the mantle being handed on, to kill him off.

So, just have Alfred nodding, then cut to credits. Also, the trilogy is finished; that has no implications on the franchise. They killed Bruce Wayne in the comics years ago; how dead is he now? :pac: Did they stop making Batman comics? Your post makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,249 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have a question:

Did Jim Gordon have a friendship with Bruce Wayne at all? The only 2 times I remember them meeting is when he's a kid and when he crashes the Lamborghini into the Swat car during TDK and they didnt act like they were on friends terms when they met then.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Andy!! wrote: »
    So, just have Alfred nodding, then cut to credits. Also, the trilogy is finished; that has no implications on the franchise. They killed Bruce Wayne in the comics years ago; how dead is he now? :pac: Did they stop making Batman comics? Your post makes no sense.
    He came back in the comic so there was 2 batmans. Now though theyve just restarted everything.
    Overheal wrote: »
    I have a question:

Did Jim Gordon have a friendship with Bruce Wayne at all? The only 2 times I remember them meeting is when he's a kid and when he crashes the Lamborghini into the Swat car during TDK and they didnt act like they were on friends terms when they met then.
    Nope no friendship. Theyd be a couple of their very few interactions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Its just PR work guys.

Thats not to say bale isnt a good guy (you'd have to know him personally to make that judgement) But this is all PR.

Fact.

How could you possibly know what Christian Bale's motivations are, you don't know the man. Is it impossible that he might just want to visit the victims for his own reasons unrelated to WB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Bale has probably been reflecting and is genuinely deeply affected by the madness Nolans' iteration has wreaked. Like batman, would be

it's probably just the cult of ledger, and the intensity of his portrayal didn't mix with prone holmes. He frankly has an impressionable stupidity, in those derpy eyes and I'm not impressed with his act nor actions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

I think the problem is that ADR much like theatre requires the actor to use his imagination more so then if he was on set of a multi million dollar film and thus there is a tendency to go over the top. I'd love to have heard Hardy's original line delivery sans mask , I doubt if would have been half as fruity and theatrical as his studio redub . As I said before I can't help but feel the cure was worse then the disease in this regard.

ill try find the link later but i red an interview where hardy said that in a prank while filming the prologue he tried to do a yoda voice, but to his surprise it was never edited out

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Overheal wrote: »
    I have a question:

I forgot they weren't friends because of that scene in TDK, its like Gordon is only asking him why he ran the light to cover up what he actually did, totally forgot Gordon doesn't know he's Batman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

saw this last night, was very very disappointed.

Plot wasnt strong. Im not sure of plot holes etc, but when it comes down to it, the first 2 films in the franchise were much stronger in that i believed them. this one just caught me as not quite. it felt more like a comic book movie than the first 2, if you get me.

and the score was terrible, imo. I can remember cringing in places when it got as steryotypical and predictable as possible.

JGL was brilliant, the high point of the film for me. An ever improving actor.

Advertisement