Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Fela Kuti Glastonbury 1984 starting on BBC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭dasdog

Fela has just greatly improved my Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he was some man for the women
    Fela Kuti was openly polygamous and in February 1978, he collectively married 27 women in traditional ceremony

• Registered Users Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Don’t know if you can get S4C over there (might be available to watch back on the website), but tonight there is a documentary about legendary Welsh electronic outfit Datblygu, in tribute to David R. Edwards who passed away last week…

https://twitter.com/lwps4c/status/1409104218510696454?s=21

Only knew them from the cover SFA did of "Y Teimlad", which is a great tune (though I have to say SFA's version is better than the tinny original).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Watched some of the live from Worthy Farm sets over the weekend, some good stuff there, but the only thing really worth talking about is Damon Albarn's mullet (well, maybe the sunglasses as well). Huge glasses, terrible hair, piano - is this his Elton John phase?

E2Bk84IWEAAmdhC?format=jpg&name=medium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Enjoyed the Glastonbury in the 90s and 21st Century shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

dasdog wrote: »
    KqsKzmz.jpg

They really didn't make any effort with tickets in those days, did they!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭dasdog

They really didn't make any effort with tickets in those days, did they!

Metallica, Anthrax, Kreator, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer and just about every concert MCD did. An inexpensive way to avoid photocopy forgery. It all changed when DRI played and someone managed to forge half decent copies. I tried to fob off one to a huge tout and he grabbed me threatening to bring me to the door staff and garda until the mob turned and saved my skinny 15 year old self. Gotta to love the metal crowds for stuff like that.

On a slightly related note. Does anyone remember the 1990 Sunday World shock horror cover story on Carcass?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=585842238634958&id=209863716232814

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, here are the listings for this week (they might appear on a Wednesday or a Thursday from now on)

There is some decent Canadian programming on BBC4 tomorrow for Canada Day (which is today), Guy Garvey starts another run of his archive show on Sky in between a whole lot of Queen ...

Thursday
    9pm Searching For Sugarman (Sky Documentaries)
    Documentary following two fans in search of their musical idol, American singer Sixto Rodriguez who enjoyed a brief recording career in the 1970s before fading into obscurity

1.30am Discovering Music – The Pet Shop Boys (Sky Arts)

Friday
    7pm Sounds Of The Sixties (BBC4)

7pm Music Videos That Defined The 90s (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Island At The BBC (BBC4)
    racks include Cat Stevens' Father and Son, Roxy Music's Do the Strand and Bob Marley and the Wailers' Stir It Up. The programme also features Steel Pulse, U2, PJ Harvey, Bob Marley, Amy Winehouse and Baaba Maal

8pm Guy Garvey – From The Vaults (Sky Arts) New!
    New series - The Elbow frontman returns to introduces more music performances from the TV archives, beginning with a selection from 1980, when the likes of The Selecter and The Beat ld the British Ska revival. Plus, early performances from U2 and Iron Maiden, and classic appearances from The Jam and more

8.30pm & 1.35am Top Of The Pops 1991 – March 28 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes presents the edition first aired on March 28 1991, with performances by Dannii Minogue, Gary Clail On-U Sound System, the Bee Gees, Snap, Scritti Politti featuring Shabba Ranks, Definition of Sound, the Rolling Stones, Chesney Hawkes and Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers

9pm & 2.05am Top Of The Pops 1991 – April 4 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies presents the edition first aired on April 4 1991, featuring performances by Inspiral Carpets, N-Joi, the Mock Turtles, Feargal Sharkey, Chesney Hawkes, the Simpsons, the Waterboys, Black Box and Mike & the Mechanics

9pm-10.40pm Snow Patrol Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

9.30pm & 2.35am Canadian Hits At The BBC (BBC4) New!
    "It’s time to Canuck n’ Roll as we celebrate Canada Day with a trip through the best of the BBC’s music archive." says the BBC listing. Does Canuck rhyme with Rock ? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000xh7h

10pm I Am Johnny Cash (Sky Documentaries)
    A celebration of the country singer-songwriter built around 12 of his classic tracks spanning four decades, and featuring interviews with his family and friends

10pm Britain’s Favourite 90s Songs – 1996 (Channel 5)

10.30pm The Death Of Amy Winehouse – 10 Years On (Channel 5)

10.30pm BBC Four Sessions - KD Lang (BBC4)
    Singer kd lang performs at LSO St Luke's in London with a 30-strong string section from the BBC Concert Orchestra. The set features tracks from across her 25-year career, including Constant Craving, covers of Neil Young and Leonard Cohen songs and material from her most recent album Watershed. First shown in 2008

10.40pm Sam Smith & Anderson East – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    Film4 is showing the first 4 Star Trek movies tonight

11.30pm Buble At The BBC (BBC4)

11.55pm Sade Live 2011 (Sky Arts)

12.30am In Concert – Gordon Lightfoot (BBC4)
    From 1972), including Summer Side of Life, Saturday Clothes, That's What You Get for Loving Me, If I Could Read Your Mind and Steel Rail Blues

12.45am Other Voices (RTE2)
    Elbow return to the show with a range of old and new material, while up-and-coming Irish stars Denise Chaila and JyellowL play high-octane sets. Plus, the UK three-piece Skinny Living perform an array of captivating Indie rock songs

2.30am Long Hot Summers – The Story Of The Style Council (Sky Arts)

Queen Weekend on Sky Arts
    Saturday 3pm-4am
    Sunday 2pm-3am
    Not sure why, nothing new in it – it’s all the same stuff they show every week
    The Queen website has the listings for Saturday but they didn’t bother doing Sunday
    https://www.queenonline.com/news/queen-sky-arts-uk-takeover-this-weekend

Saturday
    12pm Anvil! - The Story Of Anvil (Sky Documentaries)
    Go on, it’s great

2pm Guy Garvey – From The Vaults (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

10pm Pride Hits At The BBC (BBC2) New!
    Including Kylie, Elton John and Lady Gaga, along with once-controversial tracks such as Relax and Smalltown Boy. Followed by Pride - The Movie

10.50pm TRNSMT (BBC Scotland)
    Edith Bowman introduces highlights from Glasgow Green, featuring sets by Liam Gallagher, Jessie Ware, Franz Ferdinand, Miles Kane and Jessie J

11pm Tom Jones At The BBC (Yesterday)

Midnight Sings The Beatles (Yesterday)

Sunday
    5pm I Am Johnny Cash (Sky Documentaries)

6.30pm Na Bailtheoiri Cheoil (TG4)
    The musical life of landscape artist George Petrie, who noted down ancient melodies in the streets of Dublin and the Aran islands in the 19th century. Presented by Seán Corcoran

6.50pm The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years (Sky Documentaries)

7pm Jealous Guy – The Assassination Of John Lennon (Sky Arts)

7.15pm Discovery Concerts – The Bridge On The River Kwai (BBC4)
    Katie Derham introduces a performance by the BBC Concert Orchestra of the full score to David Lean's 1957 film

8.15pm Film Yesterday (2019) (BBC1)
    The one where he wakes up and nobody remembers the Beatles

10.10pm Cobain – Montage Of Heck (Sky Documentaries)

And that's more or less that, here's an hour of Bowie talking on BBC Sounds.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b06z5pts

That app is well worth a look for similar archive radio content - here's one from a few weeks ago about Joni Mitchell (for the 50th anniverary of her Blue Album
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000x0y1
    https://www.theringer.com/music/2017/10/16/16476254/joni-mitchell-pop-music-canon

Just for balance, here is an alternative view of Joni
    https://twitter.com/APartridgeQOTD/status/1408021412862889984

Finally, the Best Movie featuring Ted Hastings trying to book Josef Locke for a gig only your not sure if he is the real Josef Locke of the week might be Hear My Song (Thursday Film4 11.40pm). This hasn't been on in years, probably being shown as a tribute to the late Ned Beatty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Happy Canada Day from BBC4 eh?

Drink whenever Bryan Adams appears.
    Drink when an artist you didnt know was Canadian appears.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 72,336 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

This Canadian classic had better make an appearance… :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

odyssey06 wrote: »

Monty python Lumberjack song? Kind of Canadian?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

odyssey06 wrote: »

Reminds me of a rant someone had against an internet site.

It was suggesting Celine Dion based on his recent purchases.

I never found out what he bought, was it Neil Young, Bryan Adams, Leonard Cohen ... one of life's unsolved mysteries too many choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Reminds me of a rant someone had against an internet site.
    It was suggesting Celine Dion based on his recent purchases.
    I never found out what he bought, was it Neil Young, Bryan Adams, Leonard Cohen ... one of life's unsolved mysteries too many choices.

Robin Sparkles:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Jarvis on BBC Four :)

‘Many Rivers To Cross’

*goosebumps*

Pull up to the bumper.

tMR8KKUH_400x400.jpg

TAPPYDEPAPPY!

5becceaac59d81a44b740f9f4bfd3097.gif

Poundland Kylie

#abitharsh

• Advertisement

Yep…still sounds like ‘Chain Reaction’ :D

Green Gartside in this video…

tenor.gif?itemid=5510636

strictly-come-dancing-show-sweet-montage-of-len-goodman-ts_-00_01_14_04-still031.jpg

9480bff469584db039984e93243c235a.gif

Jesus Christ.

Didn’t know Joachim Low sang for the Inspirals.

Deep Deep Trouble > Do The Bartman

Saffron from Republica! :eek:

mruGbZ.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,628 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Skid X wrote: »
    12.30am In Concert – Gordon Lightfoot (BBC4)
    From 1972), including Summer Side of Life, Saturday Clothes, That's What You Get for Loving Me, If I Could Read Your Mind and Steel Rail Blues

Cheers for the heads up, have that set for record.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement